Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
i still routinely run into the problem w/ matlab where i type poo poo out like how it looks but matlab is like "what i dont know what to do with this"

like i type out xy and matlab things it's a non-existant variable. ok whatever
so i do (x)(y) and matlab doesnt know what to do because apparently nobody thought a math program should know please excuse my dear aunt sally
instead i gotta do x*y and thats annoying as gently caress when x and y are both super long strings of poo poo that i have to type out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

hey OP enjoy you're 1-indexed arrays bitch

also column-major arrays

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i think visual studio owns i dont know if its just me being a dumb loving idiot but programming in it feels good. u type a lot quickly. u can also design good. much better than pure wysiwyg imho

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Remember that brief like, week back in 2004 when YTMND was funny? This came after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h6seJ3xjWA

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Widdiful posted:

i think visual studio owns i dont know if its just me being a dumb loving idiot but programming in it feels good. u type a lot quickly. u can also design good. much better than pure wysiwyg imho

visual studio does own. but why does it take a half day to install?

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

akadajet posted:

visual studio does own. but why does it take a half day to install?

its slow on purpose to hype up the best programming experience of your life

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol if u need to do anythig more than sparse matrix diagonalization

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bump_fn posted:

lol if u know what that means

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bump_fn posted:

lmao if you don't

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

fritz posted:

lmao if you don't

is there any useful documentation on the actual functional diff between eigs and eigsh

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bump_fn posted:

is there any useful documentation on the actual functional diff between eigs and eigsh

those are just arpack wrappers: http://www.caam.rice.edu/software/ARPACK/
eigsh is for symmetric/hermetian matrices, eigs is for general matrices

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quote:

The package is designed to compute a few eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of a general n by n matrix A. It is most appropriate for large sparse or structured matrices A where structured means that a matrix-vector product w <- Av requires order n rather than the usual order n2 floating point operations. This software is based upon an algorithmic variant of the Arnoldi process called the Implicitly Restarted Arnoldi Method (IRAM). When the matrix A is symmetric it reduces to a variant of the Lanczos process called the Implicitly Restarted Lanczos Method (IRLM). These variants may be viewed as a synthesis of the Arnoldi/Lanczos process with the Implicitly Shifted QR technique that is suitable for large scale problems. For many standard problems, a matrix factorization is not required. Only the action of the matrix on a vector is needed.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Last update: May 27, 1998.

A parallel version of ARPACK++ will be available soon.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bobbilljim posted:

hey OP enjoy you're 1-indexed arrays bitch

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Widdiful posted:

its slow on purpose to hype up the best programming experience of your life

lol

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
i use meatlab op for all my carnivore calculations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Spime Wrangler posted:

matlab is fantastic and important if you're training to become a Real Engineer and plan to work with other Real Engineers in a real make-physical-things industry and is way better than the alternative (excel or some terrible enterprise homebrew or literally nothing at all)

matlab is terrible if you want to make pretty graphs and write bad web pages

Case in point: the only people who think that MATLAB is fantastic and important haven't used any of the alternatives

Spime Wrangler posted:

python is a pretty good general-purpose PL alternative to matlab, especially with numpy+scipy, and for stuff that's mostly code. it doesn't stack up in many respects, though.

Look at this unsubstantiated bullshit. simulink is rad as hell, not gonna lie, but literally every other part of MATLAB is either complete garbage or just barely satisfactory and overshadowed by a superior alternative.

The best way to use simulink is to generate C code so that you can stay as far away from MATLAB as possible

Romulan Hippie
Aug 23, 2005
that was a fat kid
i don't think anyone seriously enjoys matlab, they just kinda tolerate it.

julia's shaping up to be pretty useful for data science'y things, but having to constantly be all "oh i shouldn't vectorize this, it's much faster if i just write a for-loop and let llvm compile it to nice fast simd-optimized code" is both obnoxious and really cool at the same time

i still think reading/writing vectorized code is easier. maybe that goes to show how badly matlab has warped my mind.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
have you tried Devectorize.jl?

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

idgaf Im running matlab code right now and it works for me

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Romulan Hippie posted:

i don't think anyone seriously enjoys matlab, they just kinda tolerate it.

julia's shaping up to be pretty useful for data science'y things, but having to constantly be all "oh i shouldn't vectorize this, it's much faster if i just write a for-loop and let llvm compile it to nice fast simd-optimized code" is both obnoxious and really cool at the same time

i still think reading/writing vectorized code is easier. maybe that goes to show how badly matlab has warped my mind.

nah vectorized code is cool

idk poo poo about julia though why would it be faster to just do it in a for loop

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

matlab is awful but has a long legacy and is p decent at doing what its supposed to, hth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Case in point: the only people who think that MATLAB is fantastic and important haven't used any of the alternatives

Look at this unsubstantiated bullshit. simulink is rad as hell, not gonna lie, but literally every other part of MATLAB is either complete garbage or just barely satisfactory and overshadowed by a superior alternative.

The best way to use simulink is to generate C code so that you can stay as far away from MATLAB as possible

there are matlab toolboxes that are fantastic and important and have no alternatives

interesting that you say the c is good, mex files aren't keeping you away from matlab

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

at least with national instruments they just want to sell you their hardware so they will provide you with drivers and some signal processing tools for literally any platform you can imagine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

speaking of labview and matlab, the first piece of software i was paid to work on was in labview and it relied on a matlab script inside a vi using whatever their matlab clone was called (math script?)

academia at its finest

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

fritz posted:

Last update: May 27, 1998.

A parallel version of ARPACK++ will be available soon.

lol

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
academics should have to apply for programmer time, not computer time. basically every bit of academic code if I've ever seen has been the worst. like, worse than mba excel pivot tables with vb macros.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Matlab is a horrendous dumpster fire of garbage

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
dsyp

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

fritz posted:

those are just arpack wrappers: http://www.caam.rice.edu/software/ARPACK/
eigsh is for symmetric/hermetian matrices, eigs is for general matrices

this is cool i meant in particular how the algorithm is different if it assumes the matrix is hermitian (for instance it gives the wrong eigenvectors if u give it a nonhermitian matrix and tell it its hermitian)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

academics should have to apply for programmer time, not computer time. basically every bit of academic code if I've ever seen has been the worst. like, worse than mba excel pivot tables with vb macros.

grad students would do it for free to get their name on a paper

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
i don't know what a matlab is op but im sure you are right and/or wrong

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

He's right

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

There seem to be a whole lotta people who make web pages and not actual products ITT having opinions on MATLAB.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Antillese posted:

There seem to be a whole lotta people who make web pages and not actual products ITT having opinions on MATLAB.

if you dont know whats being sold, you are

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Antillese posted:

Our product used to be matlab and was poo poo. Now it's all .net and c++ and actually makes money

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

same except numpy and cython with a little bit o c

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
'actual products' in this case are tangible goods such as fuel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog: