Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
j.s. bach is the greatest musician who ever lived and probably better at the thing he did than anybody else in the history of the world has been. maybe shakespeare and euler are comparable. who do you think is better than bach? i will tell you why you're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

daft punk

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edFCREHG4yA

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Also Daft Punk and whatever else THS suggests

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
bach is hawt. rock me some brandenburg concertos.

but seriously, apples to orgies, beethoven and sam cooke and yes daft punk are good too

i could argue that count basie and duke ellington are better than js bach, but i won't because it's all subjective

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If we're doing classical composers, I'm partial to Bach but I'll take the very mainstream answer and posit Mozart or Beethoven. Mozart is simply a composer whose vast variety and quality of work may never be touched. His genius is unparalleled, and Beethoven's compositions are both powerful and amazingly impactful--there was nothing quite like Beethoven.

Of course, Dvorak's New World Symphony and Holst's Planet's Suite deserve mention too.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Kraftwerk.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Rock out with your Bach out.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Serious answer tho Trent Reznor is better.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

fuckin bizet, man

like carmen is probly the best opera ever

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

yeah skid row is pretty cool

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I like Hector Berlioz. The Symphony Fantastic is great.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

dee eight posted:

fuckin bizet, man

like carmen is probly the best opera ever

Carmen is good, I've always been a bit partial to La Boheme.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

curiously on the corpse.
sam cooke is actually a pretty good answer.

daft punk are good like the same way the beatles are good. yeah they make good poo poo but it's not like they are anywhere close pushing the boundaries of human experience with their work. mozart was obviously an artist of singular genius but to me he never saturates the bounds of the art in the way bach does. admittedly he comes as close as anyone, i'd put him with people like rembrandt, bernini, milton who made things that were obviously beyond the abilities of mortals but whose work never coalesced to a perfect unified whole.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bach is probably objectively the best but when it comes to actually listening to music which is enjoyable I prefer Beethoven and for some reason Brahms

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

logical phalluses posted:

sam cooke is actually a pretty good answer.

daft punk are good like the same way the beatles are good. yeah they make good poo poo but it's not like they are anywhere close pushing the boundaries of human experience with their work. mozart was obviously an artist of singular genius but to me he never saturates the bounds of the art in the way bach does. admittedly he comes as close as anyone, i'd put him with people like rembrandt, bernini, milton who made things that were obviously beyond the abilities of mortals but whose work never coalesced to a perfect unified whole.

someone obv. hasnt seen interstellar 5555

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i like bach but I like several romantic and late-romantic composers better tho, chopin, bartok, especially rachmaninoff.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
im bach von ronsenburg of dalmasca

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
common practice music is poo poo, bach is autistic music for engineers and viennese classical is reader's digest level kitsch music for inbred nobles and bourgeois social climbers. the late romantics / early modernists were the first to grasp that maybe music wouldn't be so boring if it wasn't composed according to some bullshit academic standard that avoids all interesting sounds because it might hurt milquetoast sensibilities

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

bach's cathedral in civ2 makes all your unhappy jagoff citizens happy so i agree OP

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

TEAYCHES posted:

someone obv. hasnt seen interstellar 5555

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Bach is great but I like the emotional response I get from romantic period composers. I've been on a Rachmaninoff kick especially lately.

Here's a really short piece for the thread, Dvorak's Humoresque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv32sfoCROo

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.
Harpsichord is balla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJdTsDUuuFk

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

I like Bach's organ fugues the best I think. Organ is more baller than harpsichord. It's the first instrument capable of rocking out.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pretty sure Wagner could take Bach in a fight

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AapjpeqmviM

all music produced before the 20th century is garbage for babies

SurfinArbiter
Jul 3, 2013

Y
o
u

f
o
u
n
d

m
e

heh
Bach is good I agree but I do enjoy many of Tchaikovsky's works. He's been one of my favorite along with Mozart and Beethoven. The thing is that they're all good in their own spheres. Each does one thing better than the other, and on top of that people just enjoy one thing more than the other, so you can't really say one is outright better. Each of their works reflects a piece of themselves and depending on the person listening to them, have some sort of emotional impact on the listener. For example I really do like rhapsody in blue. Idk it just sounds really good to me and I always feels good after a listen to it. But then someone else might not care. That's the beauty of music. All opinions are correct on their own levels. Learning music theory also makes listening to classical music a lot more fun imho cause you get to analyze it too. gently caress what a ramble

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Bach is fantastic, esp. when Glenn Gould did his music. Not gonna say hes better because it's pointless when were talking about composers and musicians this good, but Charles Mingus is right up there.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
who is better guicci mane or bach?

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

curiously on the corpse.

uG posted:

who is better guicci mane or bach?

gucci mane is one of the best rappers of our era but not a timeless genius.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm all about the bach, bout the bach, no chopin

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Basic Bach

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Bach was cool because he tried to stab an rear end in a top hat bassoon player to death

Bach also spent time in prison for hassling his boss, who was nobility

No one ever talks about how Bach lived the thug life

spooky girlfriend posted:

I like Bach's organ fugues the best I think. Organ is more baller than harpsichord. It's the first instrument capable of rocking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
p. sure these guys are better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BgNhR9oisM

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Hexel posted:

Pretty sure Wagner could take Bach in a fight

wagner was a scwhule boi

seriously, him and mad king ludwig had a thing goin on

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013
if u don like vivaldi more, lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This composition is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E5JkPMB2DY

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

how did you find this. just look up "The most collage freshman band ever" on youtube?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

a serious post:

edvard grieg. listen to "morning" then "anitra's dance" then "hall of the mountain king" in that order and its pretty cool

also rossinni. check out "william tell overture" in its entirety. don't be a shitbird and only think LONE RANGER LOL

e: i once kicked a man to death because he sang 'hello mudda, hello fadda' while i was listening to ponchielli's "la gioconda".

dee eight fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j6vrcbi470

• Locked thread