Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

ZombieParts posted:

If you own a house and don't have some Cold Steel tomfoolery out in the garage you're missing out.

I unironically would like either of their items based on American Indian weapons but rendered in impervious plastic, with detachable screw-in metal bits for extra damage:

I imagine myself in middle age, the wife brings over some friend and friend's husband, and expects us to make nice while she and her friend chat. I'll be all "hey man, wanna go in the back yard and whale some gallon water jugs with some clubs and spears and poo poo?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
drat y'all for reminding me of the Cold Steel products that I unironically want.

Probably the single coolest one is the assegai, the type of short spear that revolutionized warfare for the Zulu.

Cold Steel got 'em for $65.

Here's an amateur video of a guy throwing it up to 35ft in his garage. Seems like a safer alternative to archery if you have a suburban backyard, less likely to go over a fence and hit something, but can still hang out with a few beers chucking it at a padded target.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

fyodor posted:

look at dem titties :forkbomb:

Dig the ripply muscle in the arms. Yum.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Y'all are talking about TACTICAL pens, but didn't notice the Cold Steel Sharkie?

It's a tactical sharpie:

quote:

Superficially, it shares many features common to most markers, but appearances can be deceptive. For starters, it's made from high impact plastic and features walls that are 4 times thicker than similar markers. This means it's built for impact and will survive the meanest blows and roughest treatment imaginable and still function like new. Drop it, smash it, roll over it with a car, and it will bounce back.

Here's a guy in a karate outfit smashing boards with their sharpie, and he's not the only guy posting videos of smashing stuff with this product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRlfAwfNWAA

EDIT: Huh, they changed the name to "Pocket Shark" and photo-negatived the colors. Looks like somebody got hit with a lawsuit threat!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Frostwerks posted:

i dont think she's native american at all....

Cultural appropriation; somebody alert the Tumblr.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Verisimilidude posted:

Nope. The tangs are typically welded onto the blade, meaning they have a tendency to snap where the blade meets the grip. They're also not really well heat-treated, meaning they will bend more easily than other swords. You get what you pay for, which in the sword-world translates to: pay less, get less. Also they're not sharp out of the box, you have to sharpen them yourself.

Probably a lot of readers have already seen this, but for the young folks here's a 2005 or so clip from Home Shopping Network showing the downsides of cheap swords: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e77oXjFkIs

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Young Freud posted:

Also, from what I've heard, sword canes are pretty much met with universal suspicion among bouncers and such unless you look like you really need a cane (i.e. old or have a busted leg).

Just get a regular cane... purpose designed for busting the heads of the Redcoats of Perfidious Albion.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/91PBS/IRISH_BLACKTHORN_WALKING_STICK.aspx

But only get it if you're Irish, otherwise that's cultural appropriation.

EDIT: my list of nerdy stuff I want to have on display in the house when I stop traveling for work so much: assegai spear for throwing in the backyard, medieval crossbow for hanging on wall and occasionally shooting stuff, a clavichord for playing Bach, an artillery compass like I used in the Iraq War, and a small typewriter in Perso-Arabic script.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Ramsus posted:

I have a couple rubber knives and took them out once when drinking with friends. We squared off to see who could get the first stab in and it was kind of freaky knowing how hosed you'd be if they were real. I'm pretty sure you can't knife fight without both parties getting cut up.

There are a bunch of adages about this issue in knife fighting (phrasings vary):

- "The winner bleeds, the loser gushes"

- "The first rule of a knife fight: you're gonna get cut"

- "The loser goes to the morgue, but the winner still goes to the hospital"

- alternately: "the loser dies on-site, the winner dies in the ambulance on the way to the hospital"

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

dangerburrd posted:

I laugh every time someone hits something while yelling and then they play it slowed down and the yell is pitched down. it is the best part.

EDIT: http://www.budkcatalog.com/ProductDetail.aspx?itemno=12%20UC2979&sourcecode=GOPL&gclid=CKSdl_fJg8ICFaJcMgodDQYA0Q so I really want a tactical shovel now but I'm not super sold on giving money to dudes that seem insane at best and maybe fascists at worst and this one looks cooler, possibly a better buy?

Just search "entrenching tool" or "e-tool" on eBay. The modern ones are more lightweight; after Vietnam they started making them out of metal tubing, and shortly after I joined in 1999 the US started buying these Gerber ones that were hard polymer. But if you're not carrying it around too far, get one of the old-school ones with the folding steel head and a wooden handle.

Heavy but sturdy, I used to keep an old East German one in the trunk of my car for emergencies, got it for like $15 at a military surplus store. IIRC mine also had a slightly sharpened/serated side for hacking brush or whatever.

For $50 Glock makes lightweight ones with a telescoping handle and a saw inside. That's how Glock got into manufacturing back before they did guns, so some fun cultural tie-ins.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mange Mite posted:

isnt the type of assegai in that photo more like a short sword? I remember hearing that the long handle is there as a counterbalance not to make it a spear

The older assegai was a longish spear, but Shaka Zulu popularized the shorter assegai, 2' handle, 1' blade, which was primarily for stabbing/slashing. I'm unclear as to whether the short assegai was also at least partially intended to be thrown, but there are some clips of folks throwing it decently on YouTube.

I'd rather have a short one since they're handier, a little more distinctive, plus I can satisfy my nerd desire for a spear and a sword in one inexpensive purchase. Plus give the Zulus some props through cracker appropriation.

I can't find any clips on YouTube, but the 1991 John Goodman film King Ralph has this cool scene with assegai. Long/short, Ralph is this American schmuck who suddenly becomes king of England after the entire greater royal family is killed in an accident. So basic fish-out-of-water comedy. There's a scene where he's at some formal reception for an African prince, and they both end up agreeing to ditch the stuffy stuff and just head to a bar. They're playing darts and Goodman is kicking the prince's rear end, so the prince pulls this "let's do it how we do it in my country" and the next scene is Goodman in his shirt-sleeves running across the vacant lot behind the bar with an assegai, and chucking it across the field to nail a plywood board propped up against the wall. It's a silly-fun film, and one of few chances to see Goodman with a True Warrior Spirit.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Ramsus posted:

I have the gladius, Assegai Spear with short shaft, and the boar spear with long shaft. I want to spear hunt, but it's illegal in Oregon. Unrelated, but I also have a really nice traditional long bow that I'm trying to get good enough to hunt with. Not confident enough with it yet though.

How's the quality on the short assegai?

Have you tried throwing it? How's it work for that?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Oh my stars, this is simply amazing.

What version of British accent is that the singer has? Is it one of the Northern ones?

These guys must be on really good terms with their local butcher.

Whoever the goon was looking for a kukri, if you want an interesting modern variant that's a little smaller, good steel, etc. for $70 or so you can get the Kabar Machax (designed by Becker). It's p cool and handy and crazy durable.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Personal COLD STEEL anecdote.

At one point I vaguely wanted a kerambit knife, a kind of curved Indonesian fighting knife with fancy moves. I just barely wanted one, not enough to spend real money, but for like $5 on eBay I got a plastic one from Cold Steel. It's not a blunt training knife, just a slightly sharp one out of some kind of plastic.

Being an idiot, about the first thing I did when I got it out of the box was put my finger in the loop and twirl it around... and immediately sliced a gash across the inside of my forearm. So then I just posted it as a freebee giveaway on TFR since clearly this was not working out for me. I think that's the main (only?) COLD STEEL product I've ever owned, but I really want a short assegai.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

why would you admit to this?

Wanting an assegai, or injuring myself by twirling a plastic knife around my finger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Phobophilia posted:

ttfa arent you like 5' tall how tiny must your hands be?

5'6".

• Locked thread