Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Viggen posted:

Its still a Soul.

the new ones are very nice inside and are very practical :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

Its still a Soul.

The (first gen) Soul is a car that I really should like but just do not. It's got the quirkiness like a Nissan Cube or a Honda Element (two cars I love for their styling), it drives better than both of those cars, there's partsbin upgrade options out the wazoo from the rest of the Kia FWD family, and it has better engine options with more power.

But I just hate the loving things, maybe because the owners are very obviously the same ones who bought PT Cruisers.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You know what really amuses me? My Forester has way more headroom than my late model XJ, it's just strange. Early model XJs have more room than the late models (due to seat changes over the years) and MJs have even more than either, but the forester has a good 4 inches of space over my head, something that I've never experienced except in large trucks.

Of course, it has absolutely no foot room, and I have size 14 feet, so things were a bit sketchy when clutching in the first few days I drove it with steeltoes on, but everything's fine now that I'm used to it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
6'2 drive a Mk 2 Scirocco

Its okay so long as you sit with with your legs spread way out out, there's no way I'd get my legs under that steering wheel. For a while I flirted with a go-kart sized steering wheel but lack of power steering, aggressive summer tires and autocross caused me to pull a muscle in my arm. Bolted the regular steering wheel back in pretty quickly after that.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

kill me now posted:

the new ones are very nice inside and are very practical :colbert:

The outside is still, uh.. a Soul.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

But I just hate the loving things, maybe because the owners are very obviously the same ones who bought PT Cruisers.

I think most of those folks went to the Sebring (convertible). From PT to a Soul? Maybe if they are going through a major mid-life crisis.

kastein posted:

My Forester has way more headroom than my late model XJ, it's just strange. Early model XJs have more room than the late models (due to seat changes over the years) and MJs have even more than either, but the forester has a good 4 inches of space over my head, something that I've never experienced except in large trucks.

I've got the same issue with first gen 9-5s vs LG 9-5s (excluding the NG last-produced 9-5). The chassis is mostly the same, but the feeping creatures have really made the passenger compartment smaller. There is a noticable shift of space that I can't have both at exactly the same seat settings, because I'll bash my knees.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The (first gen) Soul is a car that I really should like but just do not. It's got the quirkiness like a Nissan Cube or a Honda Element (two cars I love for their styling), it drives better than both of those cars, there's partsbin upgrade options out the wazoo from the rest of the Kia FWD family, and it has better engine options with more power.

I forgot about the Honda Element, that's a good car for if your tall.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I don't think you can reliably relate the exterior dimensions of a vehicle with how spacious they are for tall people

I'm 6ft 3 and my Aygo has more headroom than any other car I have owned and is by far the smallest car (from the exterior) that I have driven.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I don't think you can reliably relate the exterior dimensions of a vehicle with how spacious they are for tall people

I'm 6ft 3 and my Aygo has more headroom than any other car I have owned and is by far the smallest car (from the exterior) that I have driven.
Yes, but your other car is a Landie, and they have ergonomics that would make the Spanish Inquisition say "Hang on a minute chaps, are you sure we should be doing this to people?"

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Viggen posted:

The outside is still, uh.. a Soul.

Must be doing something right, they've outsold every other small boxy vehicle combined so far this year (includes Buick Encore, Scion xB, Nissan Juke and Cube and the Fiat 500L) and are Kia's second best selling model after the Optima.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Not surprising at all but my new ram 3500 MEGACAB as the most room of anything I have ever been in. Trade off is parking sucks hard.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

kill me now posted:

Must be doing something right, they've outsold every other small boxy vehicle combined so far this year (includes Buick Encore, Scion xB, Nissan Juke and Cube and the Fiat 500L) and are Kia's second best selling model after the Optima.

Being the leader in the worst idea executed doesn't really mean it is that great. I can't help but think that since the Element was made with the idea of marketing to the chronically unemployed- the Soul is quite fitting as the shoebox they buried their spokeshamsters in.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Tomarse posted:

This is true in the opposite direction too. The current gen Ford Taurus is one of, if not the biggest mainstream sedan currently on the market yet the current gen Fusion has just as much room for the driver dimensionally. 1 inch less hip room, same or better in every other dimension. For being such a massive god drat car the Taurus really feels way tighter than it has any right to be.

acslater
Feb 8, 2003

acid is groovy, kill the pigs
6'5", 200lbs and both the 2013 & 2015 Honda Fit, fits.

Also had no issue in my previous car, 1997 Volvo 850.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

6'5", 280, and the most comfortable modern car I've driven is a Nissan Versa. Miles of leg room. I even fit in the back with the front seats all the way back.

Older car wise, my XJ fits like a glove, but nothing has ever been more comfortable than the '84 Buick Estate Wagon I hooned around in for a while. It was like driving a couch, with absurd leg room.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 24, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

Not surprising at all but my new ram 3500 MEGACAB as the most room of anything I have ever been in. Trade off is parking sucks hard.

I had to park in the dirt lot next to my Costco the other day because holiday traffic has literally filled up their regular lot, and I didn't feel like circling for 20 minutes. I think with a truck as big as yours, even at a Costco lot I'd take the dirt every time.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Viggen posted:

Being the leader in the worst idea executed doesn't really mean it is that great. I can't help but think that since the Element was made with the idea of marketing to the chronically unemployed- the Soul is quite fitting as the shoebox they buried their spokeshamsters in.

They get sold mostly to 50+ year olds who have had SUV's and no longer need the space, size and expense because the kids are long gone but liked the upright position and ride height and still having some utility (60cu ft with the rear seats folded).

I'm not really sure what you're getting at about their marketing targets. No one is going after the chronically unemployed

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

kill me now posted:

I'm not really sure what you're getting at about their marketing targets. No one is going after the chronically unemployed

The original "Element" target was for a "Surfer Dude" who didn't manage to stay employed long enough to put it in a resume (there may be slight hyperbole here, but it is unintentional). All I can see is Keanu Reeves.. lite.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Viggen posted:

The original "Element" target was for a "Surfer Dude" who didn't manage to stay employed long enough to put it in a resume (there may be slight hyperbole here, but it is unintentional). All I can see is Keanu Reeves.. lite.

They were marketing it to the people who think people who surf are cool but aren't necessarily the ones living that lifestyle.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

kill me now posted:

They were marketing it to the people who think people who surf are cool but aren't necessarily the ones living that lifestyle.

Asians who wish they were tall - or MST3K fans?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Liquid Communism posted:

6'5", 280, and the most comfortable modern car I've driven is a Nissan Versa. Miles of leg room. I even fit in the back with the front seats all the way back.

Older car wise, my XJ fits like a glove, but nothing has ever been more comfortable than the '84 Buick Estate Wagon I hooned around in for a while. It was like driving a couch, with absurd leg room.

How? I'm 5'10 and if I put the passenger seat up enough someone behind me is comfortable, My knees are in the dash. Driving it is fine, But whoever is behind me has very little leg room.

Seriously. I love the girls Versa. Its great on gas, It gets her where she needs to go, Its pretty reliable. But holy hell leg room.

Note, this is a 2014 4 door.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
6'3" here.

Cars I fit in
2014+ Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan
Subaru WRX
2015 BMW M3/M4/M6
VW GTI
Honda Element
Toyota Prius
Nissan GT-R
Kia Soul
Scion XB (both models)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EbolaIvory posted:

How? I'm 5'10 and if I put the passenger seat up enough someone behind me is comfortable, My knees are in the dash. Driving it is fine, But whoever is behind me has very little leg room.

Seriously. I love the girls Versa. Its great on gas, It gets her where she needs to go, Its pretty reliable. But holy hell leg room.

Note, this is a 2014 4 door.

Theirs is a 2011 4 door, so maybe Nissan goatfucked the back seats since then.

Bald White Dad
Dec 28, 2004
Just some fag with a computer...on the internets bitch!
I have a 6'9" friend, and I'm 6'2". We both love our Challengers

I've ridden and driven newer Mustangs.

Whoever said that they love the comfort, the Challenger has a way better, smoother, roomier and more comfortable ride. Drive one and you'll be trading that pony in the same day.

Nothing rear-wheel drive will be a good daily-driver if you live where winter is a thing...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bald White Dad posted:

Nothing rear-wheel drive will be a good daily-driver if you live where winter is a thing...

The main problem with the pony cars is that they have gently caress all for clearance in the winter. Throw some good winter tires on, and traction won't be an issue moreso than in any other car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Liquid Communism posted:

Theirs is a 2011 4 door, so maybe Nissan goatfucked the back seats since then.

The whole car is smaller now

Bald White Dad
Dec 28, 2004
Just some fag with a computer...on the internets bitch!

PT6A posted:

The main problem with the pony cars is that they have gently caress all for clearance in the winter. Throw some good winter tires on, and traction won't be an issue moreso than in any other car.

Very true. And I have no idea why you'd spend that kind of money on a car and then expose it to road salt. Bad winter vehicles all around IMO.

I cringe whenever I see one around here after Dec. 1st.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bald White Dad posted:

Very true. And I have no idea why you'd spend that kind of money on a car and then expose it to road salt. Bad winter vehicles all around IMO.

I cringe whenever I see one around here after Dec. 1st.

Because I want a Mustang and I really don't want to pay $200/month for another parking spot, plus the cost of another car, just to do the little bit of driving I do in the winter. That's a lot of money over the course of a few years.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Chiming in for absolutely no reason at all!

The cars I currently ride/drive are:

2002 Grand Cherokee: Drivers side seat is worn and feels slightly off kilter. I suspect either the foam is worn unevenly or the frame itself is bent. Passenger side feels quite comfy though!

Visibility leaves a bit to be desired for me, because of the rake of the windshield and the positioning of the rear view mirror. Wish the seats would go down a bit more. Have plenty of headroom, but everything seems it was placed for someone with a shorter torso and longer arms.

1997 Nissan Altima: My wifes daily driver/ appliance. I hate everything about this car. The seats are flat and uncomfortable, and I feel like I'm inches away from a very painful hemerrhoid.

2007 GMC Sierra Regular Cab: My dads truck and what we usually drive on trips to the gunrange or to go out to eat. The seats could use a bit more movement range, because if you put them far enough back to have good legroom, you're butted up against the rear glass. Kinda meh. Bench seat is mostly comfortable, though not supportive for fast lane changes or spirited driving.

200-something Ford E350 Van: Work ride. Seats have very tall backs. No real adjustments other than back angle, but the lower cushion is nice and long and gives good support to your legs. However, the gas pedal is nearly vertical and gets uncomfortable quick with any use other than the side of the foot. Also, the interior design hasn't aged well and I hate driving it. Still, seats aren't half bad.

Other stuff I've driven:

1993 Ford Taurus: Comfortable bench seat, electronic controls. Very good for making out on. Can't remember much more.

1987 Dodge Charger: Seats were pretty supportive. Very high backs, no adjustable headrests though.

1997 Chevrolet Blazer: Two door. Seats as hard and thin as could be imagined, no support at all. Went to Dayton, Ohio with dad and pawpaw on a trip to the air museum. Not a good experience.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado: Dad had this for such a short time that it's hard to remember much about it. No worse or better than the Sierra probably.

199-whatever Buick something: Mother in laws car. Took it to Morgantown (about 4hrs each way from my home) several times. Comfortable as hell! Seats were good, you sank into them, so that helped hold you in place. Lame probably, but I really dug that thing!

My parents and grandparents also owned various Hondas of 70s, 80s and 90s vintage, but I mostly remember the back seats of those. And my pawpaws 90s era Cadillac was just awesome as hell! He traded it in on a Hyundai Elantra. :shrug:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

West SAAB Story posted:

To this day Honda execs. have no idea why they built the Element or why anyone bought it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm 6'5" and I've got a Focus ST for a daily driver and an 02 Z06 for fun. I fit fine in the Focus (barely any headroom, though), but I don't think I would have been able to fit in a Fiesta at all. The Corvette has tons of leg room, though.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I feel we need more recommendations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've sat in a 2004 Lesabre and 2003 Park Avenue, and didn't feel like they let me stretch my legs quite as much as a 1999 Lesabre or 2000 Grand Marquis.

1999 Regal was okay but didn't let me splay my left leg out quite as much as I'm used to.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've sat in a 2004 Lesabre and 2003 Park Avenue, and didn't feel like they let me stretch my legs quite as much as a 1999 Lesabre or 2000 Grand Marquis.

1999 Regal was okay but didn't let me splay my left leg out quite as much as I'm used to.

I had a rental lucerne that i could stretch right the gently caress out in. you could move the seat to the point where my 6'1 father couldn't reach the pedals.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Grawl posted:

I feel we need more recommendations.

Go buy a 3500 mega cab. It's the biggest think ever and mostly impossible to park!

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
2011 Sonata with the power adjustable cloth seat lets me sit up straight, and I'm too tall for many cars. Got it as a loaner and it's doing a fine job of moving me around while the main ride is being worked on.

06 300C SRT8 was a dream to fit in. It's HUGE, and the adjustable steering column that telescopes and tilts under power, AND the power adjustable pedals, all made for an extremely comfortable ergonomic situation. I'd imagine a 300 with the v6 or regular v8 with these options would similarly be able to fit a tall person easily.

2012 Mustang managed to fit me - with the seat stuck all the way up! :wtc: I imagine with the seat properly adjusted down it would be like sitting in a cave.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm not particularly tall (6'1") but I recline the seat more than most (my lower back doesn't like me sitting upright) and it always pisses me off that my head is inline with the B pillar. I can never see poo poo out the sides of most cars.

End rant.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We corvette now.

I'll give a full writing of the days findings when I get home.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

We corvette now.

I'll give a full writing of the days findings when I get home.

How long does it take for the dash to boot?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

How long does it take for the dash to boot?

It is booted. What it's showing is all you need to know. Everything else you discern by feel, sound, or smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1500quidporsche posted:

6'2 drive a Mk 2 Scirocco

Its okay so long as you sit with with your legs spread way out out, there's no way I'd get my legs under that steering wheel. For a while I flirted with a go-kart sized steering wheel but lack of power steering, aggressive summer tires and autocross caused me to pull a muscle in my arm. Bolted the regular steering wheel back in pretty quickly after that.

Actually, yeah, I had decent legroom and headroom in my old Mk.II as well, and I'm 6'4. My RX-4 (Mazda) aslo fits me really well with the exception of the steering wheel being too big and sometimes trapping my left knee between it and the door. This is easily solved by resting my foot on the dead pedal, however.

I was honestly surprised how hard it was for me to fit into the last-gen (pre-2013) Escapes; they're almost impossible to drive and even riding shotgun my knees are basically welded to the dashboard.

• Locked thread