Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

EugeneJ posted:

Christopher Hitchens telling Maher's audience to go gently caress themselves was hilarious

hitchens owns so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

liberals cheer loudly while losing even more seats in the house, senate and also state level government.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Bill Maher's audience is arguably stupider than Stewart's. When I used to watch Maher even he used to have to tell his audience to calm down sometimes because they would cheer at the wrong thing.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Both shows use a laugh track.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ramsus posted:

Both shows use a laugh track.

from Married With Children

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW
republicans are bad... but democrats, are also bad

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Concerned Citizen posted:

the daily show isn't even liberal it's some mealey-mouthed centrist poo poo

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
ra-tatata eat that cake

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

ThirdPartyView posted:

Not the :mrapig: or rampant racism?

Criticizing Islam is not racism.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Hi I'm Jon Stewart welcome to the daily show

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

watch me as I spazz out with this piece of paper and a pen hahaha

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Daily Show is just a farm team for comedic talent like John Oliver.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

colbert is going to replace letterman wth

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
dont watch talk shows all of them are bad

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

colbert is going to replace letterman wth

probably for the best seeing how the Colbert show lost most of its zest over the years

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

probably for the best seeing how the Colbert show lost most of its zest over the years

Colbert and Stewart were great during the Bush administration.

Stewart probably could have ran for president and had a shot at winning.

Now he's just old.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

remember that loving terrible robin williams movie where he was basically john stewart running for president. drat that was bad. rip

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

Colbert and Stewart were great during the Bush administration.

Stewart probably could have ran for president and had a shot at winning.

Now he's just old.

Colbert's White house speech was a amazing bit of work especially all the awkward silence in the room among the beltway media circle jerkers as skewed everything from depending on gut feeling to corruption in DC.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Windows 98 posted:

Welcome to the Daily Show. My name is Jon Stewart. We got a great show for you this evening. Our guest tonight, [guest]. But first... Fox News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe1m28q5TYQ

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just watch Key and Peele clips on Youtube, don't watch Comedy Central, in the year two thousand and fourteen

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

comedy is also better when it runs contrary to the mainstream against those in power, poking fun at Bush administration's delusions/foreign misadventures is more rewarding than praising savior Obama while occasionally criticizing him.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
it makes me smile to know the most popular lib news show is defined by my preferred news source

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

etalian posted:

comedy is also better when it runs contrary to the mainstream against those in power, poking fun at Bush administration's delusions/foreign misadventures is more rewarding than praising savior Obama while occasionally criticizing him.

It probably doesn't help that the Republicans are beyond parody at this point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Jon Stewart doesn't have to do anything to get the audience to go nuts.

I used to love the Daily Show and its still pretty watchable but the live audience is just UNBEARABLE. Christ. Its just embarrassing.

Yeah after the 2008 election the producers seemed to make it a priority to get drunk tourists in the audience every single night and tell them to act like the show was the Colbert Report where hyperbole was warranted, and Stewart started playing to their lower sensibilities even though it's never loving funny to watch at home. You can actively see Stewart just biding his time as a cable jester racking up insane paydays for minimal work.

Tsinava posted:

Bill Maher's audience is arguably stupider than Stewart's. When I used to watch Maher even he used to have to tell his audience to calm down sometimes because they would cheer at the wrong thing.

This is really true. I find myself agreeing with Maher more than I want to but jesus gently caress is his show and his attitude insufferable.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
comedy central shows so much jeff dunham that i hate them

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
i thought lena dunham was jeff dunham's wayward daughter for a long time. In fact it still doesn't make sense that they are unrelated. Anyway thats my thoughts on comedy central

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I find myself agreeing with Maher more than I want to but jesus gently caress is his show and his attitude insufferable.

Basically the closest late night personality to the smug know it all D&D attitude.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gaunab posted:

comedy central shows so much jeff dunham that i hate them

I acutely remember watching a friend watch a Jeff Dunham special and nearly die laughing, and thinking "I know this is snobby as gently caress but I don't think I want to be friends with this guy anymore."

etalian posted:

Basically the closest late night personality to the smug know it all D&D attitude.

The fact that he's the closest thing late night has to a hard left personality depresses me. All the other so-called "liberal media" representatives are Center-Left at best.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Raere posted:

jon stewart is terrible, but his writers are good

Jon Stewart is good but his politics are terrible.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Demonachizer posted:

I am sad that two people that left my show are way funner than I am in their new shoes essentially doing the daily show. I pretend that I am happy each time someone else gets an emmy.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

I acutely remember watching a friend watch a Jeff Dunham special and nearly die laughing, and thinking "I know this is snobby as gently caress but I don't think I want to be friends with this guy anymore."

The fact that he's the closest thing late night has to a hard left personality depresses me. All the other so-called "liberal media" representatives are Center-Left at best.

maher is a goddamn fascist and can get hosed

hes the definition of an authoritarian democrat. gently caress that guy christ

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

maher is a goddamn fascist and can get hosed

hes the definition of an authoritarian democrat. gently caress that guy christ

Yeah when I say that I find myself agreeing with him more than I want to I do mean like, once a month I'll see one of this "closing thoughts" or whatever the gently caress on YouTube and think "he's got like one decent point in there no one else is saying." That's still a bit too much considering what a goddamn douche he is.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Tsinava posted:

the Rally To Restore

isn't even liberal it's some mealey-mouthed centrist poo poo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

keeping fear alive is always better than restoring sanity

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

the daily show isn't even liberal it's some mealey-mouthed centrist poo poo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Can we also agree how Colbert is a more effective interviewer?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

anchoress posted:

republicans are bad... but democrats, are also bad
republicans are bad because they believe lovely things, democrats are bad because they are not successfully murdering all republicans

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

democrats are bad because they are corporate whores who care for nothing but power and money

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

democrats are bad because they are corporate whores who care for nothing but power and money

Plus the hilarity how they burned lots of political capital for half rear end things like Obamacare, instead of creating something meaningful similar to LBJ's medicare and medicaid programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

what do republicans care about?

• Locked thread