Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

:ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
congratulations nasboat on essentially out and out cheating

i think im done after this season

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I mean, right now my reaction is "i'm literally done playing right this second who wants to take my team' but i know i'm going to reconsider that, so

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Nerokerubina posted:

congratulations nasboat on essentially out and out cheating

i think im done after this season

Mainly you should thank Art for taking nasboat's last max contract off his hands

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

leaguewide ban on reducing offers after they've been submitted for a cycle. i'm completely serious about this, let's take it to a vote

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I remember sending reasonable offers to Art and watching him make a far worse trade to someone in his IRC channel or something it is super dumb

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

gardenald posted:

Yeah whoever bid up Julio Blanco over the last day or two is an rear end in a top hat

Did not think that I'd land him. I was sure someone went to five years and this is definitely too much money but still :woop:

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I'm not talking about trades and don't give the slightest poo poo i'm talking about nasboat saving 8 million and getting a mutual on creek by gaming the poo poo out of the system

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
what happened

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Nerokerubina posted:

leaguewide ban on reducing offers after they've been submitted for a cycle. i'm completely serious about this, let's take it to a vote

Oh jeeze I hadn't noticed that that's some bullshit, too

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

you always could've, you know, kept your offer in so I couldn't do that. it's what Jeff did during the McKay Ray saga.

reverse engineering hasn't been a secret the entire time I've been playing this game so I'm not gonna apologize for adjusting my offer when I realized no one else was maxing him anymore

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Nerokerubina posted:

I'm not talking about trades and don't give the slightest poo poo i'm talking about nasboat saving 8 million and getting a mutual on creek by gaming the poo poo out of the system

Ah I hadn't noticed that. Just assumed it was a max with nasboat swooping in with his PC/BU coaches

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

nasboat gets creek? piss and poo poo

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I led on Jamie Wang for all but like 2 cycles and then pulls this poo poo wow do I hate this offseason

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I didn't swoop, my BU signed last night and I took the lead at 3:30 a.m., I only adjusted before the last cycle when I checked to see if anyone else was maxing, and it was no secret to anyone who pays attention that I was in on Creek the whole time. My plan was transparent as poo poo.

Also I took the risk of losing Creek if anyone sniped me, which was totally 100% possible with him not at a max, so

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

nasboat posted:

you always could've, you know, kept your offer in so I couldn't do that. it's what Jeff did during the McKay Ray saga.

reverse engineering hasn't been a secret the entire time I've been playing this game so I'm not gonna apologize for adjusting my offer when I realized no one else was maxing him anymore

if i keep my offer in it means i can't chase anyone else like i had to do because i was going to lose on creek if you kept the max. and you could see what i was doing either way. i lose out in every situation

im a little more miffed because i whiffed on ramiro who i funneled a ton of that money to but at least that wasn't unscrupulous, i jsut lowballed him. it's not helping my mood tho

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I led on Jamie Wang for all but like 2 cycles and then pulls this poo poo wow do I hate this offseason

wow it's almost like i suddenly had a loving magical giant pile of money from out nowhere

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I'm not even /that/ mad at nasboat specifically for pulling it, it's well within his rights, i'm just saying that i'm tired of it happening and mad that the game makes it possible, which is why i want to make a league rule against it.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Jerry didn't sign with NY2 for 7 million AAV? You'll regret this, sizemore

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I would be all for WIS actually fixing the broken mechanic so that that sort of info isn't readily available; I think if we made a league rule, though, there's really no way to enforce it? Seems like it would completely be on the honor system.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

Devo posted:

Ah I hadn't noticed that. Just assumed it was a max with nasboat swooping in with his PC/BU coaches

This /did/ happen which makes this situation all the more whatever the gently caress it is because i was leading on creek for a full day

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

if nothing else, maybe we can write up something in the OP for everyone that details max contract tiebreakers, the 'unofficial' signing deadline, and the fact that reverse engineering exists and can work for/against you in free agency?

if we can't do something to change the mechanics or make a rule, the least we could do is at least make sure everyone is aware?

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I would be in favor of that though as Nasboat mentioned, it would basically have to be on the honor system. That's fine by me, I don't have the patience or give-a-gently caress to game the system like that. But I am totally in favor of trying to eliminate some of the stupid tricks that are really frustrating in this game.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

nasboat posted:

I would be all for WIS actually fixing the broken mechanic so that that sort of info isn't readily available; I think if we made a league rule, though, there's really no way to enforce it? Seems like it would completely be on the honor system.

It would mostly be on the honor system but in the cases that really actually matter it would be Extremely Obvious that such a thing happened. it's way less visible when you're saving half a mil or whatever on an RP but who really cares about that

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

One thing I did learn with this particular offseason: no matter how much money you offer a PC to be your bullpen coach, he'll take a ML PC job even at his base asking price. I led on 97 PC Julio Mieses as my BU coach for a few days with a 7.1m offer, until Los Angeles offered him a PC job.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I have enough confidence in this group as a whole that I don't think an honor system rule is unreasonable.

I'm saltier about losing Quentin than I would be because I waited for his price to drop before making an offer, led on him without him signing immediately like offer drops often do, someone came in and trumped me, I took the lead again with my next offer, and then led for like four cycles uninterrupted until I lost him on the drop dead cycle. Ugh.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I think the real lesson here is that I'm just a loser who has way too much time and way too little responsibility to where I can actually waste time reverse engineering a loving fake baseball game

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

gardenald posted:

Did not think that I'd land him. I was sure someone went to five years and this is definitely too much money but still :woop:

Wait what the gently caress I did go to five years on him and also I was leading this morning??? :confused:

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I mean, ultimately go nuts if you want. It would just be nice to not have to worry about that sort of chicanery when there are enough other ways HBD is incredibly loving annoying.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

if nothing else, maybe we can write up something in the OP for everyone that details max contract tiebreakers, the 'unofficial' signing deadline, and the fact that reverse engineering exists and can work for/against you in free agency?

if we can't do something to change the mechanics or make a rule, the least we could do is at least make sure everyone is aware?

You were going to do just that after signing Ray!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

You were going to do just that after signing Ray!

well we did kind of discuss the tiebreakers after that I think. a little.

but yeah.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

One thing I did learn with this particular offseason: no matter how much money you offer a PC to be your bullpen coach, he'll take a ML PC job even at his base asking price. I led on 97 PC Julio Mieses as my BU coach for a few days with a 7.1m offer, until Los Angeles offered him a PC job.

See I *thought* that was the case. I could have jumped back in on Creek :|

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

One of you jerks that's already signed a type A should sign McKnight. Especially if the type A you signed was from a better team than mine.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Nerokerubina posted:

wow it's almost like i suddenly had a loving magical giant pile of money from out nowhere

And magically on the cycle where he just decides to be all "gently caress you," which is great

This is pushing me toward selling off parts so let me know if you want anyone not named Deivi, let's talk

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Oh gently caress you gardenald, I offered Blanco 5 years/$60M, with a player option and no-trade, and you beat me with 4 years/$51.5M plus a $10M bonus, a mutual, and no-trade. Suddenly I have extra money that idk what to do with

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

lmao if I had known I would lose out on Blanco I'd have just given Louie "I wanna dip my balls in it" Howard 2 years/$10M or whatever the gently caress to beat Jeff, goddammit that's a bargain

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

uublog posted:

lmao if I had known I would lose out on Blanco I'd have just given Louie "I wanna dip my balls in it" Howard 2 years/$10M or whatever the gently caress to beat Jeff, goddammit that's a bargain

don't worry, Louie Howard sucks and is not worth it

gently caress Louie Howard

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

gently caress Matt Cambridge

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Mark "gently caress Mark Cobb" Cobb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Also I should add I'm unlikely to make many moves now but this team is weaker and there may be more activity at the deadline

• Locked thread