Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

nasboat posted:

We never did it before and to be honest have the new owners who didn't do protects done anything at all that shows they're actually paying attention?

It's not about the owner, it's about the franchise. You're just crippling it further than it already is for the gain of the veteran owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Omar Melendez has to make the HoF this year it's a non-brainery

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
S30 Charlotte Goyim: :black101: This is my year!

I hope all the new veterans don't get into fights with my young ones.

C: Vinny Stewart - I had Bruce Shaw twice, both times for like 2 seconds. I will take the old bat with the way my team is built right now.
1B: McKay Ray - Welcome to the team, Harding will be missed but at least McKay won't suck even if you are loving expensive.
2B: Brian Burnett - Old and expensive, but at least he can hit.
3B: Michael Chang - The last part of my young callups, power uber alles.
SS: Ruben Gonzalez - Other last part of my young callups. Right side of a fun SS Platoon!
LF: Vic Batista - Welcome to the team veteran slugger, please make Jeff regret trading you.
CF: Vin Santana -Welcome to the team veteran slugger, please make Jeff regret trading you.
RF: Nolan Rigby -Welcome back beloved prospect, I always loved you.
DH: Julian Castro -Young and Awesome :glomp:

Bench:
C/DH Joshua Peterson - Speaking of Rule 5 gently caress ups, thanks Art!
Anywhere but SS/CF Olmedo Quentin - Good D and bat as my first man in from the bench.
SS Pl Randy Nixon - Other side of my platoon with Gonzalez.
UT Randall Nielsen - Defense bench player guy, wont hit but can field anywhere.

SP Dick Evans - How I love thee let me count the ways.
SP Moose Sellers - Welcome to the team, I am happy to have saved you from Art's sinking ship.
SP Bud McDonald - Solid number 3 :toot:
SP Ignacio Diaz - The veteran of the staff and very solid.
SP Tomas Matos - Very solid number 5.

Bullpen:

Johnny Simpson - Getting old and declining a little but he will still be a stud setup a.
Benito Torres - Very solid.
Marty Jordan - If he does not explode, he will be a solid arm in my pen.
Sick Collins - Cool dude who did not pitch last year, thanks Sparky.
Jamie Epstein - Cool dude who did not pitch last year, thanks Sparky.
Lou Cash - Swing man, SP insurance.

Not sure who will be my 25th man. Need to figure that out. Some all D guy probably.

I made major moves this year moving Hanson :cry: for a boat load of veterans. Moved two young 1B in Harding and Weinhardt for Moose,McKay,Jordan. My goal was to make the most of the 4 years I have McDonald for and 5 years I have Moose for. I think I am set to do that.

I also have Omar Valdes coming soonish, unless I move him for something. My brain is stuck on that one.

Not sure if this team is better than any of my awesome teams of yesterday but it is a loving awesome team.

Scrotos fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 30, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Your Season 30 New York Metropolitans:

Pictured from left to right:

David Lucano, SP
Aurelio Santos, SP
Don Magruder, 3B
Anibal Beltre, SP
Sean Stein, 2B
Wally Millwood, RP

Chip Steele, LF

Pablo Espinosa, CF
Chipper Good, OF
Ronnie Harper, SS
John Swindell, SP
Rod Whitman, OF
Willie Arencibia, C

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

tatankatonk posted:

Your Season 30 New York Metropolitans:

Pictured from left to right:

David Lucano, SP
Aurelio Santos, SP
Don Magruder, 3B
Anibal Beltre, SP
Sean Stein, 2B
Wally Millwood, RP

Chip Steele, LF

Pablo Espinosa, CF
Chipper Good, OF
Ronnie Harper, SS
John Swindell, SP
Rod Whitman, OF
Willie Arencibia, C

Hahahha this is incredible

e: I had 11 guys on my Rule 5 list that I was targeting, and I got the last one and I'll take it because I had the 6th most wins last season and anyone who fell to me isn't really very good anyway. Which is true, he isn't. He's a DH who hits lefties and draws walks, and I already have like five of those skill sets on my team. I don't even know why I'm keeping him, half my offense is extremely versatile, the other half I'm gonna have to force out of the DH spot

uublog fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 30, 2014

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

uublog posted:

e: I had 11 guys on my Rule 5 list that I was targeting, and I got the last one

I got the number six guy on my board

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

AV you could not send anything to the new owner but a bad 1B for a quality SP? I know neither are great talents but that trade is hardly fair.I wish we could treat our new owners with some more respsect and not try to steal talent.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

AV you could not send anything to the new owner but a bad 1B for a quality SP? I know neither are great talents but that trade is hardly fair.I wish we could treat our new owners with some more respsect and not try to steal talent.

DiFelice is on waivers so he's going to get *nothing* for him otherwise. I sent him an offer with a better player which he rejected, I told him to make a counter offer and that's what he sent. Don't pull that poo poo on me.

If you want to talk about us working to help him understand that DiFelice shouldn't have been DFA'd in the first place, and getting DiFelice back to him, then let's have that talk.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I'd be surprised if DiFelice makes it through waivers. I thought about claiming him myself but I've already got enough guys without options I'm trying to push through.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

But even if that is what he sent, you should help coach him why that 1B is terrible and not just accept the offer. I did know he was on waivers that is unfortunate, someone should explain the value of that SP to him.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

So have that conversation. I DFA'd Alex Hiro in my first season, who was not a good player but was still useful at the time to me and Art was asked to return him to me by TMB. It's a complex game and the handholding in the first few seasons is in all the wrong spots, and new players who are taking over bad teams should be given help in the first season or two, lest they up and quit because they feel like they're just going to get raked by exploitative players who have 50+ seasons to their name.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

HBD don't panic scream at me that Ronnie Harper is out for 3 weeks when it's actually 7 days with a mild back strain

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I wish I realized that Rule 5 Offer Back put the dude on waivers, I was just trying to give Pittinger back to Trenton to be a decent guy :saddowns:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

As the player he's trading with I'm possibly the worst person to try and steer him in the right direction because how is he to know I'm not just trying to mislead him into a better deal for me, especially since I'm never going to give more than a waiver wire-caliber player for a guy who is on waivers that is a luxury and not a need. "Hi, you've got this guy on waivers so I'm not going to move much for him at all. You want this barely useful player in exchange for him but here's this guy who is only marginally more useful for him who you should take instead. I know this because I own at this game and totally not trying to take advantage of you, so just trust me on this."

The best thing I could do, admittedly, is direct him to ask somebody else for advice on who to take, but that runs the risk of him getting literally nothing in return depending on how frequently he's logging in as a newbie. I'm all for us explaining the initial mistake and flat out getting him DiFelice back if that's how we want to handle it.

I think this does get at a larger issue that going to twitter dudes before first trying to reel in SA people or getting owners from other worlds creates a tougher learning curve because of the limitations of twitter/advantages of forum posting. Especially if people are resistant to hopping on IRC.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
wait, did the rule 5 draft already happen? how did i not select any players?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
this is some tremendous bullshit

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

The broken bones posted:

wait, did the rule 5 draft already happen? how did i not select any players?

You have to go into draft settings and make sure you have at least 1 in targets for each position, or it will assume you don't want any players and not draft anyone. It happened to me like three seasons ago and it's total bullshit

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

I am creating a newbie HBD teaching manual. Just started it so maybe this poo poo can stop happening.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rmNXGZ-iGdvFv3VTabIaXTjtkcgYqWUiXbW4vwkE-bM/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to leave comments and stuff. I am sure my grammar will need work and if anyone else wants an invite to add to it just let me know what your google email is.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I hosed up a different rule 5 thing each of my first like three or four seasons, it's a tremendous pain in the rear end to learn how to do it

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I saw the trade before looking on here and reflexively vetoed as a badly unbalanced deal with an owner with low experience - before realizing the pitcher being dealt was on waivers. I think a veto actually makes the situation worse given that. So I am sorry in advance for that.

I believe this is an owner TMB recruited out of another world who had a season over there, not a brand new person. I don't know how to solve the larger new ownership issues; it's not like there's a pool of excited goons or experienced HBD owners dying to get into the world, and I'd rather keep on keeping on than be one of the worlds that sits for two months. At least in comparison to other worlds, we've done pretty well getting people. I do think a new owner's manual is a good idea if it can happen without too much strife this time.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Yea I am fine with how TMB recruits players and where are new owners are sourced from. I just want to give them a chance to succeed. Like The Broken Bones wants to play yet we failed teaching him how to get a useful player in Rule 5.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The owner's manual is a good idea but I think each brand new player should have a Big Brother for a season or two. Someone to tell them "Hey you need to set budgets" or "holy poo poo you should protect that guy from the rule 5". Just have the Little Brother be in the opposite league as the Big Brother and not trade together for a couple seasons so there's no conflict of interest.

The game as a whole is in a much worse place than our own little world but we are starting to hemorrhage users at a rate that warrants action I think.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Devo posted:

The owner's manual is a good idea but I think each brand new player should have a Big Brother for a season or two. Someone to tell them "Hey you need to set budgets" or "holy poo poo you should protect that guy from the rule 5". Just have the Little Brother be in the opposite league as the Big Brother and not trade together for a couple seasons so there's no conflict of interest.

FYI I have been basically doing this for Tavarin.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

That's also what I've done for Syracuse/Ottawa, if only because I basically recruited him. And because it's really hard to clean up after dave/willie's damage

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

So TBB do you want a big brother?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
My HOF ballot:
Eddie Burke, Mateo Cordero, Omar Melendez, Francisco Ramirez, Ken Toombs

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Scrotos posted:

So TBB do you want a big brother?

I would like one, yes

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

The broken bones posted:

I would like one, yes

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

The broken bones posted:

I would like one, yes

So following Devo's logic which I like( of someone from the other league). It looks like it should be one of AV, Gyro, Nero or AtheistDeals. (I just picked long time owners who are active in this thread/irc/twitter) Any of you 4 want to volunteer?

Scrotos fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 1, 2014

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
this is nice. this feels good, thank you guys

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Scrotos posted:

So following Devo's logic which I like( of someone from the other league). It looks like it should be one of AV, Gyro, Nero or AtheistDeals. (I just picked long time owners who are active in this thread/irc/twitter) Any of you 4 want to volunteer?

I'll do it, I'm not a genius or anything but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Atheistdeals.com posted:

I'll do it, I'm not a genius or anything but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Its not like you are meant to build his team for him, just help him understand the game and you definitely understand the game.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Someone explain to me why Vinny is getting given away for free

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Devo posted:

Someone explain to me why Vinny is getting given away for free

TMB was just playing the middle man to get rid of his 10/5 rights, he was the last piece of the mine and Nasboats trade. We posted about that in world chat.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

TMB was just playing the middle man to get rid of his 10/5 rights

This is probably something that should be discussed since there are some people who view this as on the line of collusory, it wasn't brought up in the aforementioned WC post, and I don't see what benefit TMB is getting out of it, especially since he gave up a halfway useful player to facilitate this.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I'm in the camp that is not particularly excited about this move. While 10/5 rights are definitely annoying, much like NTCs I've always accepted them as a part of the game and when I've run into them, haven't pursued this particular method to get the deal done. I think it's a bit unfair that it was never made clear (a) this was permissible in the league and (b) that was the purpose for roping in TMB in the first place.

I'm not outraged, but I do have to say I'm not keen on this being a thing. On top of the max contract stuff, it's been a frustrating offseason for skirting the edges of HBD's mechanics.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Yeah the more I thought about it the more I shouldn't have given up or received anything of note. I understand the objections and likely won't take part in something like it again.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Yea I swore I have seen this done before, maybe it was not this world. I won't do it again since someone objects.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I feel like if you're going to win 115 games a season then no trade clauses are something you have to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

:rolleyes:

not the first guy to flip a 10/5 guy elsewhere, but since, you know, we Win So Many Things in this world we'd better watch me extra close

• Locked thread