Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The best players in that game are from EM, Merk, or are in the Sole Representitives But Some Idiot Attributes Them To His Own Forum list. I'm so loving shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I am laughing at every single post in this game where people are saying "yeah Merk wasn't that great as a wolf, he was pretty obvious" yet somehow not explaining how he managed a flawless scum victory under those circumstances.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The devil's greatest trick was convincing people he was a bad scum player.

Seriously though he literally got an award for best scum player, that's why he's there.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I said he was scum. Takes SA to catch SA.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's easier when you know his meta well.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Crunkus' meltdown was hilarious at first but now it is just annoying.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Has town ever won a champions game?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

They won 4 I think. I have no idea how. The forum software is abysmal and the play-style of talking over the top each other obviously inherently favours scum.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Crunkus' meltdown was hilarious at first but now it is just annoying.

Yes, this.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mills posted:

They won 4 I think. I have no idea how. The forum software is abysmal and the play-style of talking over the top each other obviously inherently favours scum.

Nope, mafia won 4. Thanks to a guy I called out as probable scum D1, after getting cased three times with perfect logic.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
It's just such a bad idea in general. Having a group of people who mostly come from different places with different mafia styles play in a game where there are actually prizes if you are "most impressive" leads to such a dumb battle of egos that, outside of a few who are balancing playing and game and not taking it like it's life or death - makes it hard for anything to happen.

That plus the garbage forum software which makes the game a slog to try to read.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Eight Dollars posted:

It's just such a bad idea in general. Having a group of people who mostly come from different places with different mafia styles play in a game where there are actually prizes if you are "most impressive" leads to such a dumb battle of egos that, outside of a few who are balancing playing and game and not taking it like it's life or death - makes it hard for anything to happen.

That plus the garbage forum software which makes the game a slog to try to read.

The fifteen post per page default is stupid, especially because there's just so much poo poo to load that has nothing to do with the posts.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Monstrman, corycurren and Thingyman for scum.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
The word "wolfy" has lost any semblance of meaning that it may have once had for me.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

That's a pretty wolfy thing to say.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

They don't seem to update vote counts very often. I have no idea what's going on.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Wolfy wolfy Wolfy wolfy wolfy wolfy Wolfy wolfy

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

I can't believe there's been over 160 pages and D1 still isn't over.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
The best posts in that entire thread are merk's walls of

WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY WOLFY

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Mills posted:

They don't seem to update vote counts very often. I have no idea what's going on.

Everything about playing Mafia there seems totally bad.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Hey if someone's actually paying attention to the game sees a flip before I do can they PM me the results? I'm going to keep the OP updated and spoilered but god it's a slog reading the game in chunks.

Eight Dollars fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 18, 2014

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
also if people are actually reading it and could post highlights that would be great cause i'm not reading that poo poo heap

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah I don't want to devote my time to reading it so could someone with amazing patience do a "greatest hits" of day 1. Or at least a very condensed play by play.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Corycurren's reaction to being called scum by another player

quote:

Originally Posted by corycurren
Because when you do **** like that it HURTS MY GAME CLOUT and gives other players the ability to go "WELL TOM SAID CORY'S IN HIS WOLF RANGE"

Which is something I DON'T do to you when I think you are a villager, as I want you to have room to operate without helping justify other players going "BUT SOMEONE WITH META ON TOM SAYS HE'S WITHIN HIS WOLF RANGE"

I keep my reservations to myself - at least on Day 1 - so that you get the clout you deserve and room for leadership

The fact that you chose not to do this for me plenty just shows a complete lack of respect in my abilities and it's not like your villager games is SO MUCH better than mine

do you understand?

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

oh wow

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Don't forget, these guys are champions.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Merk if you read this your mission is to just post the HaroldKrell audio posts from Holiday mafia. You need to.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Corycurren's reaction to being called scum by another player

This is legit like looking into bizarroworld though. I still can't get over this. This is the best of the best.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Don't forget, these guys are champions.

seriously

i want the mod to close the thread right at the end

and make sure that the last post has just two words in it

'The Aristocrats'

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
So deadline is in like an hour?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

CHAMPIONS

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

No they have a Krell already. His name is Crunkus.

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by Athexx
Regarding the last thing you said, on BGG one thing is that we get our tallies updated a lot more frequently and there's a lot more details displayed. So maybe people value votes for pressure a lot more. And I do. Whereas just saying you suspect someone easily gets lost and if it's not backed up by a vote then it can even be pretty superficial. So yeah, I'll pressure people with votes even if I have no read on them yet.
Again, I don't know what you mean by pressure and how it is different from actual suspicion.

If votes may or may not be bull****, that seems like less pressure and less accountability...not more.

We have automatic tallies where I come from updated very frequently and available at a mouse click. That doesn't mean votes should have a low standard and basically mean nothing.

It's not pressure if it's not real or has any chance at being understood as real.

Also, I have very little idea whose votes represent how they actually think and who is just voting for this that or the other barely explained reason.

It is apparently too much to expect an actual response that takes 10 seconds to simply clarify for someone like myself's benefit...

So I'm supposed to decide based on what?

How are you all doing it?

I can't even get you to articulate that. I don't know the degree each of you feel you ARE doing it.

I do know I'm regarded widely as an rear end for actually trying to understand where people are coming from.

I'm an rear end alright. I'm rear end for wasting time asking people questions who don't feel any obligation to treat this as a team game.

quote:

Originally Posted by Athexx
At the time I posted that I was timewarping, and subsequent posts by merk had made me read good on him, but I wanted to finish timewarping before I changed my vote since it might be useless if I was just tried to pressure someone else. Well, up until I realized Phelan was evil, so now I'm just genuinely voting there.
Gee. Thanks for after all that explaining WHY you had that read and why specifically you changed your mind.

Oh wait, you didn't.

Just like nearly everyone else.

What am I supposed to understand from that? What do others understand from it.

Personally I think most of you are just full of **** and CAN'T articulate why you think anything. Otherwise you would have.

Not because you're scum necessarily. I think it's quite clear people are over representing themselves and don't want to admit to being without much of a read.

I have no problem saying that and saying why. I have no problem saying exactly what would be useful in correcting that situation.

That's ALL I can do if people read all of that and post....

"I first had this read on him then changed my mind later after another post"

Gee.

I was looking forward to this. I didn't think so many people would react this strongly to basic questions about what they believe and why.

You don't want to discuss how you play the game. You don't want to discuss how you're playing THIS game. You don't want to discuss your reads or what goes into them or what goes into changing them.

I was told you guys played mafia.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Mills posted:

CHAMPIONS

OF lovely POSTING

seriously they've made over forty SA pages of posts in one gameday wtf

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I think we should re-run Mafia Championships on SA and the winner will get a private interview with me, the World's Only Heart Mafia Player.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

So merk gives Crunkus a read to respond to since he was claiming no one would give him one. His response?

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by merk_sa
What do you think of that vote crunkus?

I remember absently what you're talking about. I feel like traz responded to it but I don't remember how and I'm about to go to bed.

Could you repost the relevant issues and his response to what you said on the subject?

I'm not a fan of traz' play. Refusing outright to answer questions about your positions and what go into them is anti-town. But from where I'm sitting a lot of play here has been anti-town in similar fashion.

But I thank you for this contribution. I want to know more.

I'm hoping to vote for someone because there's a decent reason to believe they might be scum. I feel like if we got group consensus on anti-town behaviours and people were pressured into abandoning them...these anti-town behaviours would be a better indicator of such things. I understand your vote is not explicitly related to those behaviours though.

Again, refresh my mind and explain why you believe that to be inconsistent with his being town. That would help me.

I feel like people are starting to warm up to the idea that perhaps simply talking about these things is a better solution than the initial one.

I hope it continues.

dbmurph...maybe you could get started too. Do you have any reads? With everything we've exchanged...I'm still waiting for the answer from you.

For completeness.

I am not demanding reads. Never have.

I am asking everyone if they have any they consider worthy of group consideration that would potentially inform a vote.

If yes, please explain the basis for them to the best of your ability.
If not, what would help you form one?

I'm trying to get some of these questioned answered, because I'm hoping it helps me form a read. I'm incredibly frustrated that this night has been basically a wash. I'd have love to be starting these conversations hours ago instead of dealing with wave after wave of crap.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Crunkus has yet to give a single opinion on a player or make a vote (although I am about 60 pages behind at the moment)

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

At the very first mafia awards show ever hosted on Play Diplomacy, Crunkus ran away with the two big ones: The 2011 Lifetime Achievement Award as well as the award for Best Overall Player.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
haha holy poo poo, they just cuddled their Doctor and forced an uncountered Cop claim D1 loving :laffo:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

EXAKT Science posted:

haha holy poo poo, they just cuddled their Doctor and forced an uncountered Cop claim D1 loving :laffo:

merk better be scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

These champs don't need their cop or their doctor to win.

Did the doc claim?

• Locked thread