Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

fiery_valkyrie posted:

These champs don't need their cop or their doctor to win.

Did the doc claim?

No. The Cop claim and associated bandwagon switch happened at like one minute to deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

None of this should be happening in a game with "the best mafia players".

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

beautiful

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Mad Rancher posted:

merk better be scum

If thingyman is scum (which I think he is) then I reckon merk is too from this post, which is possibly the most transparent defence of a scum buddy ever

quote:

Don't CFD

Stick to the wagons

Tommy vs. merk_sa

Pick a side and give your reason for it also

I am going with Tommy because merk_sa gave me slight villa pings for this post:

- #153: “It was a joke, friend. I made the joke in game 3 too (BUT I WAS SCUM THERE!!! OH MAN I JUST OUTED MYSELF?!).”

And for his quick switch onto Athexx after my case. But it's very thin and he's falling into that category of "people who are probably wolves because I can't definitively call them a villager, they're only doing enough to scrape by"

TommyDanger falls into the same category fwiw, but with him I have even less things to point to that makes him maybe villager in my eyes

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Mills posted:

None of this should be happening in a game with "the best mafia players".

Yeah, I didn't expect to see a Cop claim worse than the one I did with 15 minutes to deadline in Voyager Mafia, but lo and behold, I found one. In a game of purported champs, no less.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Thingyman posted:

well it's now

MURSKA VS. TOMMYDANGER

MAKE YOUR CHOICE

IT'S ONE OF THESE TWO

IF YOU MAKE A POST AFTER THIS THAT IS VOTING SOMEONE ELSE I AM GOING AFTER YOU FOR THE REST OF THE GAME

Cop vs Doctor. MAKE YOUR CHOICE.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm going to call merk based on that post that Thingyman quoted because I don't see town merk making that joke because merk does not have that sense of humour. :shrug:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i'd look for it but i'm too lazy and it happened around page 140

but thingyman is p scummy

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
What the gently caress does wolf/wolfy mean?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Quandary posted:

What the gently caress does wolf/wolfy mean?

Scum, like they're werewolves I think.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Or Big Bad Wolf, dressed up as Grandma.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

scum is to wolf like scummy is to wolfy~

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Propaganda Machine posted:

Scum, like they're werewolves I think.

Its because dumb idiots play werewolf instead of mafia. There is no difference except instead of a group of Mafiosos you have lame old werewolves picking off town one by one. But aren't werewolves only really dangerous one day out of the month? Shut up you, that's a pretty Wolfy thing to say.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Kumbamontu posted:

also if people are actually reading it and could post highlights that would be great cause i'm not reading that poo poo heap

only because I love you all, here are some choice quotes D1 from my 3 scum picks.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

First corycurren, who is always cool under pressure.

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by Top Tier Tom
Cory I think it's a liiiiiiiiittle wolfy of you to not have monstr as a blue read yet (or any), especially after cohen's case on him from your POV

don't hate me

I read monstr better after Day 1

I think you need to re-calibrate how to read me if you think I'm even remotely wolfy at this point

There's a chance I'm wrong but basically no chance I'm a wolf anymore

quote:

quote:

Why does me having some reservations about your play so far make you lose your goddamn mind?
Because when you do **** like that it HURTS MY GAME CLOUT and gives other players the ability to go "WELL TOM SAID CORY'S IN HIS WOLF RANGE"

Which is something I DON'T do to you when I think you are a villager, as I want you to have room to operate without helping justify other players going "BUT SOMEONE WITH META ON TOM SAYS HE'S WITHIN HIS WOLF RANGE"

I keep my reservations to myself - at least on Day 1 - so that you get the clout you deserve and room for leadership

The fact that you chose not to do this for me plenty just shows a complete lack of respect in my abilities and it's not like your villager games is SO MUCH better than mine

do you understand?

quote:

quote:

In the past yes. In recent history you've come to loathe wolfing against me. You know exactly what I'm talking about.

This isn't a fruitful discussion anymore. I'm sorry I made you mad but I think I should be able to discuss, directly with you, my reservations and not have you flip ****. That's not appropriate and I'm trying not to think you wolfy for it.
I'm a villager Tom

If you have an actual REASON to push me besides "Cory is a good wolf so let's not trust him" YOU SHOULD SAY IT, because I have absolutely nothing to address

That's what pisses me off: I have the same paranoia about you all the time but no actual reason for it because I think you're a capable villager voice and I think it's probably not best to derail the thread every five posts saying "well Tom looks good BUT LET'S NOT FORGET HE'S A GREAT WOLF SO WHY SHOULD WE LISTEN TO HIM"

one day you'll get it but apparently today will not be that day

do whatever you want to do, but consider our bridge burned

i will evaluate you on my own accord and if i disagree with your reads i'll fade you

let's move on

quote:

quote:

Okay, here's the difference:

It's not purely that I know you're a capable wolf. It's that I think you could still flip wolf based on your behavior ITG, which has been within your wolf range for the most part, especially from an emotional analysis standpoint.
Well what can I possibly do to get out of my wolf range that I haven't done? Because I don't know if there is. It seems like an empty reason to push someone, especially since I spent my entire night in the thread and stayed up longer than I should have addressing things when I probably just would have left and went to sleep as a wolf. I certainly don't let myself get worked up on a work night because I think people I think are villagers are playing poorly as a wolf

And my emotional analysis is dependent completely on my mood and I know I'm a villager so I know you are wrong and it certainly doesn't give credence to your ability to read me "emotionally"

so I'M MOVING ON

quote:

quote:

What I wanted and expected from villa you was your usual passionate response to the "look me in the eyes" prompt. Instead you immediately told me to **** off. That's wolf you, bro. That's what you do as a wolf.

Would have saved a lot of time and effort if you just responded to me like a normal person and not an unstable guy with schizophrenia.
I don't even remember a "look me in the eyes" prompt.

Push me or ignore me, whatever, let's stop talking about this.

If this is a game where we don't like each other that's fine. Jay Cutler's level of don't care. Let's hope you get killed N1 so I don't have to worry about it.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Secondly, monstrman who just doesn't understand why people find him scummy.

quote:

The extent to which crunkus is posting this is becoming so borderline ridiculous I'm becoming hard - pressed to believe it's coming from anything but a villager

quote:

Idk what to do here.

I'm torn between pressuring crunkus more and being on wagon because I think being on wagon will be most helpful to the village and hopefully we can make some decisive votes that get us more valuable information, and I also don't think that pressuring crunkus will be any more fruitful than it has been so far

but at the same time crunkus still hasn't filled my buckets and I keep going back and forth on whether that's villagery for him or not and it didn't make sense to me when he said "Me answering this without telling you why wouldn't solve anything" because I asked him to tell me why.

I'm frustrated.

quote:

It's amazing how often I be really villagery to people but they always say "Yeah he's VILLAGERY but I'm not gonna clear him"

It just makes me scratch my head.

quote:

It's just frustrating to me because I see you calling me a wolf and I'm trying literally anything possible to get you to stop and it seems like nothing I say can even change your mind a little bit.

quote:

I have been posting at work despite my manager saying she will write me up and confiscate my phone so if that doesn't tell you my level of dedication to this game I don't know what will

I mean it seems like I shouldn't even bother trying to convince people I'm a villager anymore because despite the fact that that is literally what I have done every single game to try to convince people i am a villager which is namely engage them and try my hardest to explain myself as best I can i get met with things like "you aren't being genuine."

I'm frustrated now.

Life. Death. Either way you get suspected.

Then 2 hours before deadline he decides it's time to make a vote, one that will count, one that absolutely nobody else is voting for.

quote:

crunkus

No longer care.

He hasn't made sense to me since like the first time he responded to one of my posts.

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by Gamer Dude
now is probably a good time to consolidate on 3-4 wagons
I have lost my **** giving ability.

Voting my strongest read

Yolo.

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by Phelanpt
wat.
Where does this come from now?
From the first time he responded to me.

From the time he pulled up ancient things and questioned them in an odd way

From the time that he refused to give reads for half the day

From the time that he said "me giving you reads would be pointless unless I tell you why I'm giving them" despite th fact that I said "please explain your reads."

I'm done.

I'm never listened to and I don't care how much heat this gets me.

And some more lamenting about how misunderstood he is

quote:

Jcohen I don't understand

I've tried to ignore you

I've tried to engage you

I need to be clear

It must happen

I don't know what to do

Are you a wolf? Why can't you see I'm a villager?

I'm starting to believe that I'm America and you're Japan and the only way you'll be convinced I'm a villager is if I start dropping a - bombs on your major cities

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
this one's good too

cory

quote:

Alright, I'm home and going to start reading.

Before I get into it I am going to issue one universal warning: my patience for stupidity is going to be extremely short this game. I could sit here and explain why - tl;dr is that due to some work changes I have been working about 70 a week and have just been extremely stressed - but you probably don't need to know about my life and I'd probably just get eye rolls for it.

The only thing you need to know is that I am a villager, and I am going to put out more effort this game than probably any one of you. Now that I'm home I will be reading this thread in one screen and rereading with another until around 11 pm. This is how I'll be using my limited free time - which is probably sorely needed for other, reasonable things - until I die or this game ends. I will never NOT be in the thread. I'll grab a salad from WaWa and eat it while hitting f5. I'm going to give you an effort that you probably all don't deserve.

So, do what you need to do. Know that you are essentially a seer with a n0 = corycurren villager peek that you can use for whatever purposes you desire. Wolves can complain all they like that I am going to basically kill myself trying to solve this game and make my alignment absurdly obvious; it will not stop me.

One of the major reasons I stopped playing Mafia/werewolf in general is that I think at some point the game stopped being enjoyable for me. I am going to DO MY BEST to curb my own distaste and frustration and stress (which is probably somewhat external and has little to do with this game) and be my usual reasonable, thought-compiling village behemoth that quite a few of you know and love.

If you want my opinion on anything and I haven't shared it feel free to engage me at any point; I'll try to respond as promptly as possible. If you are at any point lost in the game or don't really know what you are doing, I HIGHLY encourage you to reach out to me - I have a lot of meta on quite a few players here, am approachable in general, and will outwork any rational and sane human being. I'm actually pretty good at this stuff when my WIM is high and I'm going to make sure I don't let myself get demotivated.

This is where I begin.

HiipFire fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 19, 2014

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

And lastly, Thingyman, who has apparently never heard of fence-sitting.

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by traz
Nah I know it seems like that, but its deeper. Its timing, flow, whether I thinking you should clear me by now, etc.

I feel like villager thingy would give me a clear benefit of the doubt here and see I'm probably a villager.

Conversely, I feel like wolves might be realizing they can't get me lynched but they don't want to release the heat on me entirely in case it goes through, so now I'm being soft leaned.

I feel like you and athexx are doing exactly that and the timing of your opinions is suspect
Hmm.

Well, fwiw, I'll make this clear: Under no circumstances would I want to see you lynched today and I would very vehemently try to make sure that it didn't happen, even considering the fact that I have you back to neutral after seeing some posts from you that didn't feel like the usual villager traz (but I'm also recognizing that my perception of you is based on vague recollections).

I can sort of understand that it might feel suspect. Because there was a movement forming wanting to lynch you and then I sort of slowly started to be persuaded by that movement to some degree. That isn't because I'm a wolf wanting your head though - it's because I'm a paranoid villager who started to doubt his read (which was also based on just 2 posts btw).

I did just spot a villagery post from you whilst catching up though, so I'm very much open to changing back to villa on you (I'm hoping this happens).

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by monstrman
I'm curious about your reads of me, merk, luckbox, and moocher.
Well, the you one is boring:

- #1796: ” Just as I'm waffling on my dbmurph read he does this

I think i like you

Also that last mar post was pretty gosh darn villagery golly gee willickers”

That's the only remotely villagery thing you've said. And I actually just deleted it from my document. So you're in the "neutral" section due to not making any posts that ring villagery to me.

Regarding merk

- #153: “It was a joke, friend. I made the joke in game 3 too (BUT I WAS SCUM THERE!!! OH MAN I JUST OUTED MYSELF?!).”

I give small villa pts for this post.

I sort of like the way that he switched from going ham at Murska to suddenly being all in on the Athexx case.

I also gave small villa pts for him talking about how we should play this game. Again, I repeat small villa pts. But I give them because he didn't do it last time and like he says, he didn't do it there because he wanted the village to just implode like he felt it was doing - and this seems sincere to me, so why then would he be adamant about making clear what proper village play is this time if he's a wolf?

But on the flip side, he's a very capable wolf and he's been absent the whole time I've been interacting real-time today, so that's why he's only near the top of the neutral pile.

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by Luckbox Inc
Traz quoted a post of Tommy that was wolfy yesterday.

I agreed that it was wolfy (it was because it was a bunch of disjointed thoughts on random people--a classically wolfy post). I then read all of his posts up until that point (there were still less than 50 at that time) and did not see anything villagery from him.

All I've seen today is mostly defensiveness
Hey Dustin

I agree that Tommy is wolfy

I have only ONE tiny caveat regarding him though:

I felt that it was maybe villagery of him to accuse you of making a vote to save Phelanpt. I mean, it was a ridicolous statement of course. But villagers are ridicolous and paranoid and have conspiracy theories all the time. Taking a step back and ignoring that he's accusing you in that post, do you think that post is perfectly role neutral?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, mostly.

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by corycurren
I still don't have a single player I'm comfortable putting in green
I'm comfortable putting you in green.

You can comfortably put me in green as well.

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by corycurren
yamato
Yes.

Excellent.

monstrman vs. yamato

quote:

quote:

I reaaaallllllyyyyyyyy don't like this. You spend an entire day fellating and pardoning a likely wolf in Traz and you're gonna me-too push one of my top villagers?

Wtf thingy?
You say those two things as if they have a connection.

Also, if you read my posts, I actually think there's a clear progression. Which could be faked if I was a wolf, sure. But it's not like this came out of nowhere.

If you really believe that I am faking being paranoid about traz, then well, good luck with that read.

And with regards to pushing one of your top villagers, well, I'm sorry, I've played a couple of v/v games with monstrman and he was obvious villager from the get-go in both of them. When I hear jcohen echo these same sentiments, it's persuasive to me. At the very least, I want to pressure monstrman for it.

And additionally, I'm not sure Phel is a good vote anymore, so I'm trying to find a better vote (no, traz won't get my vote, deal with it).

quote:

quote:

I have been posting at work despite my manager saying she will write me up and confiscate my phone so if that doesn't tell you my level of dedication to this game I don't know what will

I mean it seems like I shouldn't even bother trying to convince people I'm a villager anymore because despite the fact that that is literally what I have done every single game to try to convince people i am a villager which is namely engage them and try my hardest to explain myself as best I can i get met with things like "you aren't being genuine."

I'm frustrated now.

Life. Death. Either way you get suspected.
yamato

not because I read the above post as villagery, but I'm willing to give monstrman a pass based on the strong likelihood that he will manage to clear himself to me if he is villager and based on the fact that I'm a sucker for his excitedness for the game

quote:

quote:

tell us about your yamato read
He hasn't made any posts that I can call even slightly villagery.

That's the extent of it.

I'm looking forward to receiving votes for this explanation btw.

But that's just how I roll.

quote:

quote:

From the first time he responded to me.

From the time he pulled up ancient things and questioned them in an odd way

From the time that he refused to give reads for half the day

From the time that he said "me giving you reads would be pointless unless I tell you why I'm giving them" despite th fact that I said "please explain your reads."

I'm done.

I'm never listened to and I don't care how much heat this gets me.
hmm

well, this is slightly villagery I guess

so that's a start

I have a bunch more Thingyman quotes so I'll put them in another post.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Thingyman fleshes out his vote on Yamamoto (this was like 5 pages long in word, so I've taken out all his quotes of Yamamoto and just left his comments)

quote:

All of yamato77's posts

I am mostly quoting these for people to have a look through them for themselves. Reading through them myself I have actually grown unsure of this lynch.

Up until this point, yamato77 has been decidedly unhelpful, but the underlined part here I tend to give small villa points for.

Regarding this

@ people with yamato experience

Is this a villa yamato thing? To want to focus on figuring out a player for the sake of supposedly gaining general information about the game and/or other players or whatever. It seemed slightly off/weird to me at first, but if this is just how he rolls, then it's obviously role neutral at worst.
I also want to give small villa points for this actually. His way of coming to traz' defense. I mean, I don't know, the way he goes about it just seems genuine and devil's advocate'ish to me rather than a wolf trying to ... gain credit or whatever.

Again here, he comes to traz' aid. It's of course not a super advanced read to make up as a wolf. But I'd like input from people who've seen yamato's wolf game whether this seems like something he'll easily do as a wolf.

I don't know if I'm being biased here because it's reminiscent of how I often am as a villager - coming to people's defense when they're drawing negative attention to themselves on the basis of doing stuff that they pretty clearly could've avoided doing as a wolf.

And the underlined stuff here I find slightly villagery as well.

In conclusion, I think I want to lynch someone else now.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

The Thingyman magic just doesn't stop. He's very sad about how good the wolves are playing and how're they're slipping the wool over his eyes.

quote:

quote:

I can't. I think every single player has had a defender at some point.
I think this is probably indicative of wolves playing really hard and even clearing each other

Which I already hate because it's good and effective play

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by The Moocher
thingy, the part you underlined and said is something you give villa points for is something i'm pretty sure you either gave me wolf points for, or ignored, when you were incorrectly tunneling me in a game last week where we were v/v
seriously

this is the first time I've become even slightly annoyed in this game

I didn't ****ing tunnel you in that game

I slightly suspected you for 20 minutes and then I REVERSED MY READ

And I can promise you that I didn't give you wolf points for saying something that is reminiscent of anything that I underlined in that yamato post - and I am DEMANDING that you dig this up (not now, but tomorrow)

I may have ignored it - I don't know - because it either wasn't exactly the same or because we were in the middle of a discussion where I tend to first focus on replying and then only afterwards focus on trying to glean reads from the discussion

quote:

quote:

can I get your thoughts on saberwolf?

more specifically how this game compares to his game in Champs 3?
He only lived for 2 days I believe in Champs 3 and he was someone that I had as "slight villa - neutral" in that game iirc. I can only recall that he seemed very sensible and that I agreed with most of his posts.

I mean, I have a vague feeling that he's being a bit different this game. Not that I'm feeling that he's being unsensible in this game - but it's not the same. But again, this is super vague. And also, circumstances are different - he's been pressured here, whilst he wasn't pressured in that game.

I can't offer much meta help here.

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by saberwolf13
I think I might agree with that. I only jumped on monstr to give the support that was being called for. Even if I wanted to lynch him though, I think it's clear that unless I called for the chaos train, nothing is to be had there.

I am conflicted on Phel.

Pros of lynching phel is that it would give us a starting point within the BGGers and would not distract in future days whereas if both were left alive we may see a vs match that possibly distracts from the rest of the game.

Cons of lynching phel is that I would not personally be voting as of my own concrete beliefs, and would feel a little dirty about it, even if he did flip as a wolf. If I had one more day to find what I was looking for I feel like I could actively help save a mislynch or take down a wolf.
I mean

jesus

this is villagery

I am reading too many people villager

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by The Moocher
you would never do this as a wolf right?

i feel like you would think it beneath your dignity
this post is perhaps the most villagery post itt

I had The Moocher as a small villa lean, but was starting to grow a tiny bit concerned about him, but this settles it, The Moocher is green now (or well, I use blue for my lists)

quote:

quote:

lets just lynch Tommy

Traz and I can both be clear if he flips wolf which is a good thing
TommyDanger

Dustin, I feel you

I could feel you even stronger, but I feel you pretty good at the moment

traz doesn't feel me, but I feel that we can turn him around and get a pretty good thing going here - with Moocher too (who I also feel will turn around on me)

I think I've noted a couple of wolves as having villagery posts, which makes me sad, but together we'll work all that out. Let's do this.

quote:

quote:

in one of my first games ever someone (Fnord) said "let's do this" and I correctly decided he was a wolf as a result of that

and your "let's do this" seems as equally out of character
goddamnit

Dustin

you're just wrong

sighhhhhhhhhh

I was just starting to get excited

you just deflated me

huge sigh

An accidental Freudian slip

quote:

I SHOULDN'T BE HAVING TO SAY THIS, BUT WE ARE _NEVER_ AND I REPEAT _NEVER_ LYNCHING A VILLAGER IF WE HAVE WAGONS LIKE THIS

We need to consolidate on TWO wagons. I know that I don't have enough credibility to be the one to suggest the two wagons and expect to be listened to, so I propose any of these:

marvellosity, jcohen, corycurren, The Moocher?

I lean villa on all 4 and I think they are generally leaned villa on by others as well. Two of them will maybe suggest me in which case lol, but I'm willing to take that chance.

Actually no, we need to speed things up

I PROPOSE MARVELLOSITY SPECIFICALLY - does anyone DISAGREE that marvel can get the honor of choosing 2 wagons that we will then in turn choose from?

quote:

LYNCHING A WOLF* I meant to say ofc

if anyone even dares calling that wolfy :P

quote:

Don't CFD

Stick to the wagons

Tommy vs. merk_sa

Pick a side and give your reason for it also

I am going with Tommy because merk_sa gave me slight villa pings for this post:

And for his quick switch onto Athexx after my case. But it's very thin and he's falling into that category of "people who are probably wolves because I can't definitively call them a villager, they're only doing enough to scrape by"

TommyDanger falls into the same category fwiw, but with him I have even less things to point to that makes him maybe villager in my eyes

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

HiipFire posted:

this one's good too

cory

The ego of these guys is just hilarious.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Oh, and my favourite quote of the game. From Luckbox I think.

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by Thingyman
I'm here to blow, baby.
Let's just hope if you're town you don't have a gun

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
fv, you're a treasure.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

D2 has started. Overnight Murksa, who claimed cop but turns out was a JOAT died, along with jcohen who in my opinion was not only obviously town, but also correctly identifying a bunch of the scum/town already. I'm not surprised he died, he seemed to be one of the few people actually capable of playing mafia.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

how does thingyman even function in a normal game? how does the community he plays in think he's one of their best?

like, all he's doing this entire game is calling other people townie, pandering to them over and over again to improve his own survival

you can break this entire game wide open based on whether he's doing it to curry favor with a town player or whether he's doing it to defend a scum buddy and both are as transparent as all gently caress

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

prediction: all the 'champions' are going to remain fooled by 'the one guy who trusts them' until he takes the award for MVP based on never being suspected

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Thingyman posted:

I didn't have him as a wolf before this. You will note he wasn't on my wolf list at start of day. I had him as neutral.

I've quite clearly been going back and forth on him all game. And this is villagery.

jfc

in the same post he says

"I never suspected the guy" and "I've suspected the guy before" in two consecutive paragraphs

and then as if his thought process needed to be laid bare for all to see, he adds 'This is villagery'. because what town player doesn't think to themselves 'yes, yes, i will do this thing because it is townie' instead of 'because it catches scum', right?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Ernie. posted:

how does thingyman even function in a normal game? how does the community he plays in think he's one of their best?

like, all he's doing this entire game is calling other people townie, pandering to them over and over again to improve his own survival

you can break this entire game wide open based on whether he's doing it to curry favor with a town player or whether he's doing it to defend a scum buddy and both are as transparent as all gently caress

I remember in Merk's game that Thinygman said on their forums the town win ratio was incredibly high. Having seen their play, I can understand why the scum never win.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Thingyman has started D2 strongly. He's so upset about jcohen dying guys and he wants you to know that.

D2 is only 20 pages long and Thingyman is about half of that personally. His first post is the first post after the game re-opens.

quote:

why jcohen

why

why him

quote:

So that went splendidly.

There's one good thing about that result: Everyone got a reality check.

Let's chin up.

I most certainly leaned villa on a couple of wolves yesterday (it's mathematically impossible that I didn't), so I'm gonna be starting sort of fresh today and be very careful about my reads.

I've spent some time reading traz' previous games.

I made 2 observations:

1) He is quite different from Game 1 where he was a villager.
2) However, he is also very different from his last 3 wolf games (and I will note here that assuming he's a villager in this game, then traz hasn't been a wolf since 2010).

The main difference from Game 1 is that in Game 1 he was much more amicable and was more, well, friendly and open and wanting to share. But this game is also different because I guess he's been pushed and stuff.

However, he's made posts in this game that I find villagery - so I was curious to see if he had that element in his wolf game, i.e. if he made levelly type of posts to earn village points. And he didn't. As a wolf he mostly just floated along and would pop in to voice disagreements and general reads or annoyance about meta stuff. At some point during all this I got tired and felt like it was all blurring together, so I'll summarize it as such: traz just seems overall different from both his past villa and wolf games (and he doesn't play much, so the large gaps between games could be the explanation) and thusly I will just choose to judge him based on this game.

Another vital piece of information (only I find this vital though) I got from reading his past village games: His day 1 reads really weren't all that great and he even suspected people that I feel like I would've found very villagery. And he even admitted as much himself that his reads only start becoming good on later days. So I will also choose to not read him based on my perception of the strength of his reads.

quote:

monstrman

In honor of jcohen

I reject "it's a setup kill" counter-arguments

monstrman deserves pressure and I've decided I won't let myself be persuaded otherwise by strong voices defending him

My vote stays on him until he becomes villagery (if that ever happens).

quote:

quote:

I think he went into obvious-er villa range last night. Will your villa lean activation energy be 10x higher for Monstrman than for Traz?

Who stands out to you as a suspect today?
Please quote posts where you feel that went into his "obvious villa" range. If you refuse to do this, you are actively not being helpful and I will not listen to you whatsoever. I'm sorry for being blunt and sounding antagonistic here, but one of my weaknesses is that I tend to let myself get persuaded by people strongly defending other people and they are just wrong all the drat time, so no more. Not in a Champions game. Convince me or I will continue voting him until he lives up to my standards of villageriness.

Suspects... I'm gonna be honest - I feel much more like slowly starting to re-read some stuff and getting a firm grasp on a town circle and then working from there. Until such a time my suspects are mostly just a group of "meh, I can't call them villagers". But to give you a list anyway:

monstrman
tappokone
well named
merk_sa
yamato77
One of Phelanpt/Athexx (I hate making a read like this, but I can't confidently call either of them villager and it seems like they're not both wolves, so one of them has to be wolves - not that this is a unique read on the situation, I am aware many others feel the same way)

That's 6.

Do I feel super confident about this list? Meh. I hate that I only have one person from the top 10 posters here (Phelanpt).

Then there are a bunch of people that are in the zone of "leaned slightly villa originally, but def have to reevaluate" or "leaned slightly wolf, but became villagery towards end of day, so meh".

quote:

quote:

Thingy your "let's square off!" EOD posting is a 7/10 on the wolfometer, was more hot air than helpful last night
Yeah, well, this read sucks balls.

I'm not gonna try to be pro villa at an EOD as a wolf in a Champions game. Don't insult me. And if you believe that that was hot air, you can kindly consider yourself someone that I won't want to work with this game.

quote:

quote:

Thingy your "let's square off!" EOD posting is a 7/10 on the wolfometer, was more hot air than helpful last night
Actually, you know what

Screw you

That EOD was a disaster and we were never gonna lynch a wolf. That's a goddamn objective fact. Fact. It's a fact.

And we didn't allow room for people to claim. That ended in us getting 2 PR's killed

I beg of you to push me for that, do it

quote:

Come on, Tom

You frozen, dawg?

quote:

Call me wolfy for being aggressive

Come on, do it

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by marvellosity
drat, i was hoping i wouldn't have to deal with today
For whatever it's worth, I had you as the favorite to be killed (which is a compliment obv)

marvel

jcohen died, which saddens me, because I really wanted to work with him

I think you're very villagery and I dig your style - even though we disagreed on some stuff yesterday I appreciated where you were coming from and how you were looking at things. Mostly, I liked how you were acting as a sort of devil's advocate for me and forcing me to reconsider and reevaluate certain people (namely Murska and Arcbell).

I want us to work together. I remember you leaning villa on me at least during first half of yesterday. I don't know where you have me now. I hope you still have me as a villa, because we need a #newalliance.

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by DWetzel
good morning

this is fake anger

We lynched exactly who you wanted to lynch and who you were voting for quite a long time and obviously you were pretty content to lynch them for quite a few reasons that I'm happy to go quote if necessary

and don't for one second give me that "oh noes we didn't give them time to claim, you all suck" bull**** either, Tommy was lead wagon or very close to it for most of the day yesterday, the only way we can give people more notice that they might get lynched is if we no lynch through Thanksgiving
When TommyDanger himself makes a post about how claims need to happen it shows that he feels he wasn't in a situation where he felt that it was clear enough that he was getting lynched with any high probability because of the massive spread of wagons.

Yes. He was lead wagon for most of the day - but 1) that was with one or two votes, and 2) that was hours before the lynch. You don't claim hours before the lynch. Or even one hour with such close wagons and spread out wagons. Don't give me that.

I wouldn't have claimed as Tommy at any point yesterday.

Me being content with the lynch that we ended up on is completely irrelevant: We ended up CFD'ing someone that I defended because it was a mess (and who happened to be a PR) and then on top of that we ended up lynching a guy who would've otherwise had time to claim and we could've saved a mislynch there.

Saving mislynches is friggin' huge. And it only takes pretty basic strategy to allow us to be doing that.

quote:

quote:

let me amend that

it may not have been fake anger, but if it was real anger it was dumb and you should feel bad
DWetzel

You are positively kidding me, right?

You're on Moocher's back this game and you are here insulting me for promoting a very clearly pro-village strategy

And actually, you know what

I didn't even bring this up myself

I was in a fine mood and I even stated that overall I was actually happy with the fact that it set everyone straight wrt their reads (including myself)

it was Tom who pushed me on this matter - and you can be sure I'm not gonna be like "okay, you're right, me pushing a pro village strategy is stupid"

quote:

quote:

yeah, well, believe whatever you want to believe

"saving mislyches" means lynching a wolf, and you said we were never ever lynching a wolf yesterday

so why didn't you try to shake things up instead of trying to fix two wagons?
I'm not sure if there's a misunderstanding here

What I meant by that is

When the wagons are this close and this fluid and this chaotic, then a wolf is never getting lynched, because wolf wagons are gonna be stalled and village wagons are gonna be jumped on by wolves - wolves have complete control in such an environment

I didn't mean that there weren't any wolves between the two wagons. I felt fine enough with lynching TommyDanger, so I wasn't interested in shaking things up - I was interested in "shaking things down".

quote:

quote:

I'd also ask which wolf wagons you think were stalled yesterday, since that's a thing

and what your imagination might lead to do regarding these individuals today
You're making this out to be more complicated than it is

We need TWO wagons

TWO wagons

And we need those two wagons to, at the very least, be established with 15 minutes to go, preferably (honestly, it should even be established earlier than this though imo and it usually is on later days to be fair)

Then people can weigh reasonings and be focused and have to take a stance and can't pussy out with votes on a 3-vote wagon or whatever - and then someone will usually emerge as the leading vote-getter. This last part shouldn't be forced ofc, people vote whatever they want, but then usually it will be easy for the two wagons to make a good decision on whether to claim or not. And there will be time for the potential new leading vote-getter to also make a claim.

Your last post is ridicolous. I'm not saying there was wolf wagons stalled yesterday. I don't know if there were. I'm not the type to analyze wagon movements. I'm saying that IF there were wolf wagons in a scenario with 5 wagons then it's SUPER easy for wolves to just jump onto one of the villager wagons / to not vote the wolf wagons when there's multiple options available to them.

quote:

By the way

I forgot that I wanted to say this

@ TommyDanger

I'm sorry about being part of voting you out on Day 1. I know that I dreaded the possibility of this happening myself. You strike me as the type of guy who's cool about it, but in any case, I want you to know that I do feel bad, especially given the magnitude of this game and the effort that you did put in.

quote:

quote:

here is what I dislike about last night from Thingy

he is voting yamato, fine IMO (I agree with this vote)

he does a big MQ of literally all of yamato's posts and decides he doesn't want to lynch yamato any more, which is pretty meh because yamato made literally zero posts between very very early Tuesday and the time Thingy decided to unvote him, so why vote him in the first place; note this is about the time yamato is getting some momentum toward maybe actually getting lynched, as if Thingy needs to do something to hop off the train before it gets too much momentum

he then spends the next 20 minutes discussing things other than who he might actually want to lynch, while Phelanpt was the lead wagon (who Thingy had at the literal bottom of his read list at one point before quoting one post of Phelanpt's that wasn't all that great and saying "hmm I'm not sure about my Phelanpt vote any more", then his only interaction with Phelanpt that I can see was at 6:34 (#2742, it's not really that important a post), where he basically gives a one-off reply to Phelanpt saying "I have no idea how you read people"). Then, after Tommy gets some extra momentum via a suggestion from Luckbox and Traz, he jumps aboard without a care in the world, despite having Tommy at neutral

AFAIK he never even considers Phelanpt as a possible lynch at EOD.

If Phelanpt (or yamato for that matter) is a wolf, I think there are some pretty significant indications that Thingy is too. And I think both of those people have pretty decent wolf equity right now.

And this is pretty much a brain dump that took too long and I have to get in the shower like five minutes ago so I'm not going to have time to respond to why this is terrible. I'll look at it later.
DWetzel

I can answer this last thing very succinctly:

You will always have reasons for finding me wolfy then. I jump around in all village games, so if that means that every time I jump away from someone that that makes me wolf if that person is wolf, then that doesn't leave me very good odds of not being wolf.

I'm surprised by this focus, actually. I'm pretty sure it holds true for everyone that they had people that they previously wanted lyncher earlier in the day that they didn't mention or vote near the lynch because they were at that time focusing on other people. If anything, having a wide focus is villagery btw.

But I don't know what else to say wrt that. If you don't buy my reasons for backing off them, then you don't buy them. But I don't know what my motivation would be for going after them in the first place, especially in a way where I don't see how I could think that it would earn me village points if I was a wolf.

Regarding the underlined: Well, that's simple. I was going off of memory when voting him (I had also just read the majority of the thread that day). He didn't strike me as memorable and I hadn't noted anything villagery down, so I voted him. I guess your question here then is "well, why didn't you note anything down the first time you read his posts?". To that my answer is partly that they were thin stuff that I still didn't note down after my quoting all his posts and partly that I maybe just missed it or glanced over it the first time around, given that I was real-time posting and trying to catch up at the same time.

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by Phelanpt
Tommy, why aren't you making sense to me? I fully have you in neutral, and it feels like you're getting stuck on strange things. I remember you rolling with things better, both as good and as evil.
Hmm.

I'm trying to force myself to see this post as wolfy (it was the one that changed my mind yesterday). I initially found it villagery for Phelanpt to be taking note of Tommy seemed stuck on strange things. It seemed like an observation that a wolf wouldn't make. But there can be several explanations for it: He caught on to the fact that others characterized his game this way, or he was a wolf who did have a legit read on Tommy being different and he used that.

When forcing myself to see this as wolfy I could see it as wolfy the part about "both as good and as evil" - in this post he's not really even saying that Tommy is wolfy. He's saying that he's altogether different. And now thinking about it, when I get this feeling about people with whom I have meta I usually try to IGNORE them rather than GO AFTER them because in my mind I'm just like "wtf". But as we all know, Phelanpt ended up going after Tommy for this. Pretty hard iirc.

So we need to buy that Phelanpt would want to go hard at someone with whom he has meta on the basis of him acting altogether different from both his previous wolf and villa games. I'm not sure I buy that.

DWetzel is totally gonna read like this wolf Thingy trying to 180 and regain credit or whatever. That being said, I still don't feel super comfortable about the the read, but I now don't have the same reservations about him being lynched as I did after having read this post for the first time.

Plus there's the fact that there really has to be (for my sanity's sake) a wolf between Athexx and Phelanpt.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

HiipFire posted:

this one's good too

cory

Hahahahha holy poo poo this post owns.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Monstrman starts posting and very subtly defends his scum buddies.

quote:

I kind of think yamato's "I'm literally voting the top wagon" thing was villagery

I think Cory was being pure because he posted all the wagons and seemed to be considering everyone before calling for the murska lynch

I think Thingy's aggression was pure. I agree with his logic in almost every game that the most important thing for the village to do is pick two consensus likely to flip wolf wagons and pile onto them. You have to force the wolves to vote for you in this game, not the other way around. I also think the cocky way he's defending himself against TTT this game is villagery.

Also /sponging thingy on how that looks for saberwolf irt giving people room to claim. That EoD was a disaster and I partly blame myself for not being there, even though I was incapable. I just wish I could have been though I'm not really sure how I'd have helped.

Gamer flipping his votes around actually seems to me to be more in line with his villager game than his wolf game.

I think LenC and Luckbox were really underwhelming at EoD

quote:

Eh I'm not gonna lie I keep rereading merk_sa and thinking he's villagery

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
God, Thingyman is one of the most insufferable posters I've ever seen, and that's coming from somebody who's a pretty bad poster himself!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

EXAKT Science posted:

God, Thingyman is one of the most insufferable posters I've ever seen, and that's coming from somebody who's a pretty bad poster himself!

Pretty sure on the Kinsey Scale he is the Kenneth Braun of forum posters.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Thingyman's subtle reaction to being called town

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by traz
lastly thingy,

i think you have posted very villagery. But you are asking a ton of questions.

Not just you, but others too. I get that questions help clarify things. But if a player is only asking questions, it becomes very hard to figure them out later.

so i actually think some of you guys asking constant questions and helping the wolves. Statements are much harder to fake, anyone can ask an endless string of questions.
traz

you're such a villager

SUCH a villager

I love you

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
The Moocher/mod of the forum this game is in is currently drunk posting

quote:

so after my first ever game long game where i obv got NKed n1 (i was seer) i played a couple of turbos, in the first one a guy called '425kid' was extremely rude to me, i was a noob and didn't know what to do*

i later CFD'd the **** out of his wolfy rear end in HP6

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

EXAKT Science posted:

What is his flavor of insufferable, explained in a less obscure way than ernie did

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I swear this guy is the worst. All his posts are like this.

crunkus posted:

Honestly I'm at my wits end with this.

If this sentiment is acceptable to the group, I will simply leave the game so that you all can have your fun. This is far more disrespectful than anything I've posted.

If you find the attitude expressed acceptable and in line with your thinking please make this known. If enough people seem in this frame of mind despite what I've said, I'll accept that. I have no desire to fight against that mentality particularly when it involves simply skipping my posts. I have better things to do with my time.

If you find this attitude unacceptable, please let traz know.

This is unnecessary drama, and factually my posts do not consist of nothing but whining and melodrama. This is narrative, and its not in line with the facts. However you disagree with anything I've expressed or the way I've expressed it...I have not treated anyone here with this level of disrespect because I don't appreciate their style of expression. I've said what doesn't help me and what I'm not hearing. I've said I don't appreciate it when people speak in a manner their friends understand but I do not because of familiarity. I've said I don't appreciate it when people mock me for asking for information that would help me play the game better and understand them. But this response, and many like it ARE CREATING DRAMA not reducing it. They are far worse than any complaint leveled against me.

They have no further place in the game.

I accept sometimes I rub people the wrong way. But I have a right to communicate the way I do, and so do you. We need to respect each other and each other's needs.

That's what a cross-site game is about.

I've tried from the start to do that, and was accused of being demanding and condescending long before in my frustration that sort of thing started to permeate my posts.

Just because I want to know more does not mean I'm being demanding.

You all ask questions, I'm allowed to ask questions too. The difference is when someone you know asks...you answer. When I ask, you talk about my posting style and lecture ME.

If you cannot be accepting of my play, then I will leave your little game.

But I'm not going to accept this kind of nonsense nonstop without others making it known that it's not okay.

Nearly everyone's response to this entire situation has to be to level the blame for the unnecessary drama on my feet.

If that continues to be the prevailing opinion fine, I'll proceed from there. But I in all sincerity implore you. Please take a minute and consider where I'm coming from for a moment.

I don't need you to play like me. I need you to respect that I'm trying to play this game in my way just as you are, and that as town you have no good reason to be obstructionist to that. If you're not used to explaining yourself or find it tedious, I'm sorry. But it would help me, and that's in your best interest. This game is cross platform and its about respecting differences. Well, apparently I'm different. I don't think so different than many of you.

I have not been lashing out at anything in this game other than simply contemptuously essentially giving me the finger when I ask for straight forward information that other people ask for all the time.

The fact is, if people had just started doing what they ended up doing the last 10 hours yesterday when I asked the question instead of spending their time arguing with me about asking in the first place...I'd have spent that long period I was able to devote to this game last night talking reads. When it finally happened...I began the engagement process (was largely ignored anyway) as best I could. I didn't have as much time the next day. Again, I knew this would be the case and this underlied a lot of the frustration I had the night before. That was the time I had to devote to real time engagement...and I had to waste it in the manner that I did because of the unnecessary backlash that occurred.

I did lose it a bit and get frustrated. I'm sorry for being a downer. But as much as you guys have accused me of talking down to you I have been talked down to and many of you have been talked down to in a compeltely unhelpful manner far more by a lot of the regulars here.

It's dragging this game down. I'm not operating in a vacuum here. Meet me half way.

Traz...please reconsider this position. Thank you.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Yeah Crunkus is their Harold Krell.

Luckily Monstrman is on the case. He's already started hyping himself up for a mislynch today on Crunkus where he can both comfortably vote the guy AND turn around and say I told you so after.

quote:

Monstrman said:
I don't even know what to do with crunkus.

From what I remember in the other champs game he was a villager and pretty spot on with his reads now that it's been brought up, which actually reaffirms my suspicions of him especially considering his meta in that game seemed to be more of a free-flowing villager type posting whatever came to his head and in this game he seems to be posting in giant chunks without giving opinions.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I will replace crunkus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Yeah Crunkus is their Harold Krell.

That's not true. Krell's posts are amusing and make me laugh. This guy is just a massive tool.

• Locked thread