Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
Compared to modern computers, ENIAC is leagues above them despite being invented in 19 loving 40.

It led to a major breakthrough in atomic research (what was the last time your PC did something like that?), was one of a kind, could do all sorts of things that no other machine at that time could do - complex calculations, scientific simulations, and more. It never crashed, BSODd, or had someone use it to post rape jokes on the internet. Compared to it, your 1000 dollar apple store PC is yawns-ville.

People like Jobs and Gates did the world a disservice by 'improving' computers. We already had a design that did everything you need a complex machine to do, and didn't steal your personal information whenever you logged on. There's no argument you can make that excuses the computers we have today. They're unnecessary, expensive, destroy ceeativity, and shelter mentally ill people that need help.

(Btw, if you're going to troll with some boring comment like 'BUT IT WAS BIG HURR', please just go back to the Xbox megathread)

E: Forgot to add, there's nothing a modern computer can that my phone cant also do, and I can use it on the go, clubbing, exercising, etc.

curious lump fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
didnt read

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its not the size it's the 100,000:1 lower power requirements.

Sadly the boomer shitheads got scared of nuke power so it wouldn't be feasible. otherwise i'm with you OP

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

pram posted:

didnt read

I'm sorry, maybe I should have thrown in a non-functional language joke.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
YOUR MOM WAS THE ONLY GOOD COMPUTER

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Stymie posted:

YOUR MOM WAS THE ONLY GOOD COMPUTER

please dont use gendered insults.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
the ENIAC caused the atomic bomb which killed millions

pram
Jun 10, 2001

curious lump posted:

I'm sorry, maybe I should have thrown in a non-functional language joke.

its worth a shot imo

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

the ENIAC caused the atomic bomb which killed millions

Counter point: Had ENIAC not allowed for the creation of the atomic bomb, then there would be no anime, and Japan would still be chopping off chink's heads with katana swords.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
who says you're not unfunny?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
can it even play crysis?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

that poo poo cray

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

that poo poo cray

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

didnt read

epic thattery

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lazy replyery

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

The Management posted:

can it even play crysis?

How about you go outside instead of playing computer games

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what os did the eniac run and was it a pos (trick question: it was)

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

who says you're not unfunny?

Yeah, because Im trying to have a serious discussion thread, not make programming jokes. Retard.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

crysis 3 multiplayer is still the slickest game produced since it came out and that alone is worthy of respect

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

pram posted:

what os did the eniac run and was it a pos (trick question: it was)

Yeah, no. It was better than needing an OS, and calling it a pos is like calling Nosferatu a bad movie.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
stfu about ghames bitch this is a thread about fyad reject effort post re: some old computer

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

pram posted:

stfu about ghames bitch this is a thread about fyad reject effort post re: some old computer

Thanks but I dont need help moderating a thread from someone named after a baby carriage.

Re crisis chat: Eniac was used for actual warfare, not playing Mass Murder Simulater #753

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

it ran no os & it was a better age

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

theadder posted:

it ran no os & it was a better age

The greatest generation

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

curious lump posted:

Counter point: Had ENIAC not allowed for the creation of the atomic bomb, then there would be no anime, and Japan would still be chopping off chink's heads with katana swords.

dont need eniac to find teh racsim here OP

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

curious lump posted:

The greatest generation

:agreed: and yet we experience os x op

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

bobbilljim posted:

dont need eniac to find teh racsim here OP

yeah no poo poo. imperial japan was racist as gently caress

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
wrong, OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8K-xbx7jBM

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

that poo poo cray

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just wanted to say that your claim that eniac never crashed is bogus, dude

vacuum tubes have a limited life with a somewhat random distribution and eniac had so many vacuum tubes that iirc its mean time between failures was like 1 hour.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Sagebrush posted:

just wanted to say that your claim that eniac never crashed is bogus, dude

vacuum tubes have a limited life with a somewhat random distribution and eniac had so many vacuum tubes that iirc its mean time between failures was like 1 hour.

I wouldn't consider that 'crashing'. More of a problem with faulty materials. Modern computers not only have to worry about hardware failure, but also programs and the OS crashing the computer, whereas ENIAC only had to deal with the first.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
fuckin' lmao at that rationalization. imagine if you had to replace chips on your motherboard every hour

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

curious lump posted:

I wouldn't consider that 'crashing'. More of a problem with faulty materials. Modern computers not only have to worry about hardware failure, but also programs and the OS crashing the computer, whereas ENIAC only had to deal with the first.

i don't think you fully understand what it's like when the term "one hour average uptime" is involved

relative to that, no. modern computesr do not have to worry about hardware failure

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

my computar has been up 8 hours

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

what would your ideal modern computer world look like op?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

that poo poo cray
where did your avatar go

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Linux Pirate posted:

what would your ideal modern computer world look like op?

Large. Takes up lots of power. Only used for essential problems, like killing browns. This way, people are forced to go out and make their own entertainment. Feeling like this would solve a lot of societal ills if ppl just interacted + understood each other.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

curious lump posted:

This way, people are forced to go out and make their own entertainment.
have you not heard of game developers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

curious lump posted:

no, ENIAC had to deal with program bugs too. all ENIAC programs were written in machine code.

• Locked thread