Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Whoa a lot of people really like this game a lot. Better stay away. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I almost didn't buy it because I saw 1000+ positive reviews on Steam, half of which had less than 2 hours of game time.

Generally speaking, that is a huge red flag for me.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Whoa a lot of people really like this game a lot. Better stay away. :shrug:

It's not even people liking the game. It's the insane amount of :smug: self-importance that people get about playing it, saying that this is what all games should truly aspire to and poo poo like that, much like how a lot of fans of the Souls games can get.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah, it's a little bit difficult to trust a review that reveals more about the life view of sheltered western teens and twentysomethings than it does about the game.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on how retarded some of the reviews of TWoM are:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/3/6098005/this-war-of-mine-actually-feels-like-being-in-a-war

The BATTLEFIELD: HARDLINE ad at the bottom of the page makes it even more :psyduck:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

Components and parts remain a loving struggle all game though, especially components because high-end equipment will routinely require 30-40 a pop and after the first couple of zones it becomes very difficult to come by components in bulk.

You better hope that you have a good scavenger for that because you can easily walk away with full stacks of components in some of the areas that I've found. The army outposts will have giant stacks of weapon parts and guns, I think I found 10 stacks of parts and 5 or 6 AKs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Oh please, it's Polygon, they've specialized in clickbait articles for years. Hell, they were the ones that pioneered that god-awful idea that Shadows of Mordor had PROBLEMS because you used the same key combinations to kiss your wife as you do to stealth kill orcs, while every other review ever knew drat well that Shadows of Mordor was about good old fashioned mass murder - gender relations don't even remotely come into play.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 19, 2014

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

What you said about Polygon is 100% true, but it still contributes to the :smug: perception of this game.

It sucks, because the developers seem really nice and down to earth.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Douchebag reviews aside, the game really is pretty drat atmospheric and different in my opinion and had me hooked hardcore after just 30 minutes. I did actually feel like a total shitlord for having the characters do shitlord-y things and it was nice to see that reflected through the thoughts and actions of the people themselves.

Bonus points for killing the first--completely harmless--people I came across as a paranoid reaction and having Pavel moping around the house in a state of shock for a while before finally chugging a bottle of moonshine and sleeping it off.

The game has a decent narrative flow, which I think is hard to do in a non-linear randomized kind of game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The lack of any kind of tutorial or tooltips or anything hosed me a few times. One run, all my people got sick and died because I didn't realize you could fill up the heater with a shitload of fuel and it wouldn't burn it all at the same time (i.e. I thought it would go from 6 to 0 as quickly as it takes to go from 1 to 0). Also got hosed over once by the fact that the 'steal from this person' and 'trade with this person' icons are so similar to each other, and got shot to death as a result. And one time I accidentally stole from the hospital with one character, successfully ran away from the militia, then returned the next day with a different character and was shot on sight because they magically knew I was from the same house as the other person.

Still, though, I like this game. I've been trying peaceful goody-two-shoes runs and haven't been too successful yet, I'll have to start Batmaning people and see how that goes. I'm mad that you can't have more than two rat traps because it foiled my plans to just set up an exponential rat farm and trade my way to success.

Also, in my current run it was winter from day one, which was actually kinda great because you start with a heater and there's a shitload of fuel just lying around the house to pick up and burn from the get-go.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

vyelkin posted:

The lack of any kind of tutorial or tooltips or anything hosed me a few times. One run, all my people got sick and died because I didn't realize you could fill up the heater with a shitload of fuel and it wouldn't burn it all at the same time (i.e. I thought it would go from 6 to 0 as quickly as it takes to go from 1 to 0).
Even more important, the more fuel is the furnace, the warmer it keeps the shelter. In the dead of winter keeping it fully stocked is critical as there is no way you are going to get to +15C otherwise.

quote:

Still, though, I like this game. I've been trying peaceful goody-two-shoes runs and haven't been too successful yet, I'll have to start Batmaning people and see how that goes. I'm mad that you can't have more than two rat traps because it foiled my plans to just set up an exponential rat farm and trade my way to success.
The finite number of mechanical parts would've foiled you anyway. It's pretty easy to get about 30 of them, and then after that you will be loving scraping around for every single one. A no-kill run is possible, though, trading is very powerful if you can carve out a niche for yourself. The problem is finding a niche - booze tends to be a fairly reliable one since sugar is super easy to come by, but it stacks poorly and is very water intensive.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
I think my biggest problem is not knowing where my character isn't allowed to go when scavenging. Sometimes an NPC will be like "hey get away from there" but I've lost two characters by walking around the hospital, getting healed by a nurse and get gunned down trying to leave by a dude with an AK at the entrance despite not stealing anything or even being around objects you can steal from. :confused:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Are you running? The dudes who tell you to gently caress off seem to get annoyed by running.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Coolguye posted:

The only problem is trucking it home, which is legitimately a very big problem if you don't have Marko or Pavle.

Coincidentally, I drat near lost Pavle too :haw:

When Marko died, Pavle's bio had something like "some bandits killed Marko, he should be avenged!". Well, he wanted the job so he got it. Sure enough, he and his kitchen knife landed upon the bandits like an angel of death, however Pavle also got carved like some mural of flesh and limped away lethally wounded.

Surprisingly enough, he lived through it. Took a lot of days and bandages to recover though.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

You will get robbed during the night at times and that is unavoidable. But considering your stronghold is a 4 story building with 2 basement levels this doesn't seem like an oversight. You handle this problem by boarding up the holes in your structure, and, later, installing a reinforced front door. Beyond that you post guards, who will use any armor and weapons left at the safehouse to fend off intruders.

It is entirely possible to solid snake most zones without killing anyone and in Pavle's case you can outrun basically anyone who gets on your rear end so killing people is very, very far from required to win. That said, there's basically no reason to not kill bandits as long as you are methodical and don't get your poo poo pushed in while murdering them. Most characters get a psychological boost out of killing bandits (Katia is the only one I've found who feels sad afterward), and they tend to carry functioning shotguns/AKs and armor, both of which trade for quite a lot.

Now looking closer, you do have a soldier survivor in the ranks. Not an elite badass but at least he knows how to fight.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I broke into an old couple's home and beat them to death with a shovel and took their things.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

gyrobot posted:

Now looking closer, you do have a soldier survivor in the ranks. Not an elite badass but at least he knows how to fight.

Yup, Roman. Against your typical bandit/civvy with a knife he'll win every time. I robbed the church and whenever a character went up to punch him he just hit them with the shotgun butt.

I like how the environments can change. On my second runthrough it was winter and the church had already been ruined and looted.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Like everyone else he is not guaranteed though. In the game that just wrapped up for me, I had Pavle, Bruno, and Katia to start out with, and over 47 days only Anton joined up.

No losses, though, and the only person who ever got screwed up at all was Pavle, who took a few weapon butts to the face and had to spend most of a week in bed to sleep it off, so all in all I am pretty pleased with how it went.

Can't wait to start another game!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PhantomZero posted:

I think my biggest problem is not knowing where my character isn't allowed to go when scavenging. Sometimes an NPC will be like "hey get away from there" but I've lost two characters by walking around the hospital, getting healed by a nurse and get gunned down trying to leave by a dude with an AK at the entrance despite not stealing anything or even being around objects you can steal from. :confused:

You don't want to run around bashing down doors and stuff, it freaks people out. The Steal icon for items is a hand picking up a gem. The regular Grab icon (which will allow you to grab stuff without issue in basically everywhere) is an open hand.

You can use the sounds of you bashing things down to cause people to run and check out what the noise is though, it's quite helpful if you already planned on offing them.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I like the pencil drawn artwork on everything. It's a unique eye catching style.

Also I went to the garage, traded some components I had scavaged for a saw and used the saw to break in round the back and steal their food.

My survivor was feeling bad about it for days. I'll make it up to them after the war she says.

It's quite engrossing

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Every game I go to the old peoples house and beat them senseless and steal their stuff. I've become pretty insensitive to it but boy my three house characters sure haven't

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You don't even have to beat them up. Just steal their stuff while they follow you around complaining, and then you can go back a few days later and they'll be gone but all their stuff will still be there.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

My first game has been pretty calm compared to my second try, I started out with Bruno, Kaitia and Pavler, later got the deserter guy. Food was not really hard as I got shelled villa and empty house and slums spawned, ended up being building stuff I fell short on, also found great amounts of good tobacco on the runs and from the wandering trader, and than the radio announces tobacco is being hard to find, que up a tobacco monopoly as I make my way to town square with Katia every night. Than My power went out and really did bad things to my game :v:

Second play through, started with Bruno, Pavler and Marko, things have been much harder, mats is easy to come across, but food is not. the city is much more hostile as thugs took the church, the town square became snipers junction, and on day 11, Organized crime rose to power in the city. Nights have not been kind both on the scavenging side or the raiding side, Marko has been shot so many times both out and on guard he may be swiss cheese now, even with 3 guards level 2 barricades and some shovels is a costly raid defense, no one getting out clean and items still being stolen, when crime took over the loading screen also changed to a torso shot of a survivor holding an assault rifle

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Sounds like your city needs a Polish Batman

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Is anyone else having huge problems with food from the get-go? It seems like there's very little of it to go around before you have to start fighting for it, and every time I try to steal it or kill for it, I get one of my guys killed because he's armed with a knife against half a dozen guys with shotguns.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Polybius91 posted:

Is anyone else having huge problems with food from the get-go? It seems like there's very little of it to go around before you have to start fighting for it, and every time I try to steal it or kill for it, I get one of my guys killed because he's armed with a knife against half a dozen guys with shotguns.

One of your first priorities back at the shelter should be getting two rat traps up and running. You can't really rely on them as a sole source of food, but they will supplement what you can get from scavenging. If you have to steal, go for easy targets first like the old people's house. If you have to kill, pretend you're Batman and hide in closets and murder people when they walk by instead of trying to get in an actual fight with guys with guns.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Really enjoying this so far. There are quite a few different ways to play the game. Being truly altruistic would be very difficult. I've had the most success stealing from the elderly couple that lives at the Quiet House that can't do anything to stop you. It gives you some good trade resources early and solves the food hump you can run into. Depending on the party some may get sad over the theft but it tends to solve its self over time and doubly so if you get a neighbor in need. Giving supplies to neighbors really helps morale especially if you have a house full of cigarette addicts. 9 day habit just isn't possible. I had a couple of over night fights between people in the house starting after day 20 but I'm not sure what caused this. Could have just been the lack of cigarettes. There is an area that's described as housing homeless that in the bottom right corner has 2 guys sitting next to a stash. Be sure to loot the rest of the area before grabbing their stuff. You have enough time to loot then hit the run to exit button and you'll be home free. None of them are armed but they will kill you if you get surrounded. It has some really nice starting resources and I've found hitting the Garage and the Quiet House gives me a good start to living to the 10-15 day mark fairly comfortably.

If you don't have a starting survivor with a large bag it becomes a balancing game of scavenging the most valued items to then trade with guy that comes randomly to trade with you, Franco, for his construction materials. Its tough trying to haul all the crap you need to build and upgrade your stuff while also trying to feed, arm and heat your home. At the Garage you can scavenge enough stuff to then trade with the guy that's there for a saw blade. That saw blade then lets you climb above him and get to the back half of his house. Its only the trader and his sick father so you don't have to worry about patrols. I haven't done enough testing but there's a box that's labeled private properly and it seems to refresh items. Possible "farm" location. The Decrepit Squat is a good early location as well since there's only a starving guy that will lead you to hidden stuff if you give him any single type of food.

It's been said before 2 traps more or less solve your food problem mid-late game. You can use meat/fertilizer/canfood to set your traps and each trap will catch 2 meat. You catch rats more often if the mathematician guy sets the traps. He may have to build them as well but I'm not positive. I prioritized a workshop for shovel/crowbar access then went to upgraded workshop for access to the boarded up walls. Stove/radio/beds/chairs peppered in when I had to have them. Killing thugs don't seem to give a huge morale hit. Killing civilians will put your person into broken mode after the incident but can be remedied with repeated chat sessions with a buddy. Having a gun will let you murder any single person that comes into your sights with safety but once they start stacking I have a hard time doing anything with weapons. Combat can be really tough and I admit I save scummed 6-7 times on day 28 trying to crack the Hostel. I eventually gave up and a couple days later the snow lifted so I was able to go else where.

Having more people would seem like its bad but I had 4 around day 10 and it made life easier. Yes it's an extra mouth to feed but its also one more person to guard, or scavenge if someone gets hurt on a raid or gets sick and your forced to bed rest them if you don't have medical supplies.

As far as wishlisty stuff I'd like a better indicator if/when a room was off limits. I've stopped counting how many zones I've ruined because I couldn't tell a room I was going in would piss of a NPC and make the whole zone hostile. Something I didn't notice was a hand icon means its save to loot and a hand icon grabbing a gem means your stealing. I'd like a little more feed back on what I'm doing. Some sort of sight range indicator would be nice. Starting options would be cool. What characters, starting in winter or not, even what materials you start with would be cool. The games getting good reviews and I like whats here. I hope the devs keep patching and the community is able to do mod stuff. I've put more time into this then Destiny or Beyond Earth at this point so its cool to think of what could be added on.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

It would be nice if there was an alternative bandit game start so you could just go full arsemode without people moping for weeks on end because bloo boo hoo Bruno hit grandma in the head with shovel.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Fewd posted:

It would be nice if there was an alternative bandit game start so you could just go full arsemode without people moping for weeks on end because bloo boo hoo Bruno hit grandma in the head with shovel.

We definitely need an opportunist campaign. A couple of ideas for new characters.

-a gunrunner/smuggler who thought he would strike it rich in a warzone but winds up forced to hunker down with softies. Has the ability to call in a trader once a week due to black market connections.

-a street doc who was the sole source of health care in the red light district. Since the war started he became the sole source of healing in the warzone. an addict to medication. Can patch up wounds and help ease illness.

- A poacher who turned his rifle to targets who paid the right price. He was forced to take up shelter when someone offered a place where he can rest, eat and fix his weapons.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What's the basic Shelter set-up? So far I'm going 2 beds->water colector->oven->basic metal workshop->crowbar->improved oven->rat traps, assuming it isn't winter, but I'm wondering whether there is a more efficient start.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

What's the basic Shelter set-up? So far I'm going 2 beds->water colector->oven->basic metal workshop->crowbar->improved oven->rat traps, assuming it isn't winter, but I'm wondering whether there is a more efficient start.

I go 2 beds, metal workshop, upgraded workshop, patch up the walls, 2 rat traps, in roughly that order and sometimes with other things built along the way if I have need but if you have someone like Marko right off the bat it's often not too difficult to get several of these up simultaneously. Two beds are absolutely essential so that you can rest your guard and your scavenger at the same time, or so that you can have one person on bed rest and still let someone else sleep.

Getting raided is just too damaging, so I really prioritize patching up the shelter walls. They always take your important items like food and medicine, which can seriously gently caress up your long term planning, and you often end up with wounds as well. Not patching up the walls is an easy way to wind up playing catchup for several weeks straight because your people keep getting wounded and put on bed rest, and your important items keep getting stolen.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Getting raided is just too damaging, so I really prioritize patching up the shelter walls. They always take your important items like food and medicine, which can seriously gently caress up your long term planning, and you often end up with wounds as well. Not patching up the walls is an easy way to wind up playing catchup for several weeks straight because your people keep getting wounded and put on bed rest, and your important items keep getting stolen.

It's pretty annoying. At the end of the game where the loading screen said something about rampant crime, I was STILL losing poo poo despite having fully patched walls, reinforced door and two people guarding with vests and assault rifles / shotguns.

Grandma getting the crowbar is only fair if game keeps doing that poo poo to me. :colbert:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Captain Gordon posted:

Sounds like your city needs a Polish Batman

Pavler tried and he got killed, the house hold has not been very happy and kinda been in and out of depression since he died, However the next day Organized Crime was cleaned out by the military, who decided to stop sitting around and launched their attacks on the militia, 5 days later they withdrew, seems like solving crime was costly for them

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
For people who are not sure whether to get this game, it is not actually The Sims. This War of Mine is the culmination of every good mechanic ever put into every zombie survival game, made better by not having any god drat zombies in it.

vyelkin posted:

If it's blizzard conditions they'll steal all of your fuel. First day of blizzard I happened to be out of bullets so of course there was a raid and they took a couple water and 21 fuel. I think I stared at that screen for like a minute just thinking gently caress.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I go 2 beds -> Metal workshop -> shovel/crowbar immediately. This allows me to finish ransacking the shelter on the first day, which is a big, big help.

The next day an oven goes up first, and then improved wood workshop. Then rat traps and water collectors come out after that. After the rat traps and water collectors come up (or they are blocked by mechanical parts), I'll start boarding things up.

I'm considering changing things up a bit for my next game to improve the metal workshop earlier, since having a hatchet early on basically provides the wood you need to board up the shelter in a single day. It also makes it a lot easier to get wood and fuel, which are huge deals for the trading game.

On that note: playing purely altruistic is possible, I believe, because the Hotel and Square both have traders that restock rather frequently. Furthermore, the booze route is probably the most profitable one in the game, since all told it is 4 sugar, 4 water, 3 components, and 3 fuel to make two pure alcohols. Or to think of it another way, 4 sugar, 6 components, 3 fuel (since you can make the 4 water from a 3-component filter). Those outputs will buy substantially more than those inputs from even Franko. The profit potential goes up again if you get a basic herbal lab put up so you can process your alcohol into bandages, for (iirc), the extra outlay of a few relatively useless herbs and another couple of components. So as long as you are keeping yourself fed and raking in excess building components you'll be able to keep things stable without having to shank a ton of dudes, assuming you can get those stills rocking and rolling fast enough. I think that's the real key - unless you are able to get a functional trading apparatus up and running by the end of the first week, you're going to start getting desperate. There ARE a number of places you can turn to that don't necessarily involve shaking or stealing, but they are places like Sniper Junction, which will tend to carry the food and water you need to survive another day, but not the components, mechanical parts, and wood you need to get ahead. Though, it is probably fine to trade literally all of your medication and bandages to Franko early on for some of these things - unless you start out in winter, people are unlikely to get too sick early on, and bandages rarely need to be used after the safehouse is boarded up and you're posting two guards every night.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 20, 2014

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Trading needs a bit of a nerf in my opinion. Katia makes the game easy. At day 30 I had something like 60 meals stocked. I just sat in my house till the war was over. I could have done even better if I had known Bruno lowered the amount of sugar, water, and fuel need to make alcohol.

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 20, 2014

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Wait, Bruno does that too?

gently caress!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Eh. Much like everything else in this game, it's only scary until you get over the wealth hump. Shanking dudes arguably puts you over the wealth hump way faster, since if you've got 5 assault rifles and a couple of bulletproof vests you can basically buy the parts for whatever you want.

And yes, Bruno is seriously amazing. In addition to being a baller at the stove and the still, he's also a baller at the herbal workshop - he only requires 1 Medicine Part instead of 2 to make a unit of Medications.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Eh. Much like everything else in this game, it's only scary until you get over the wealth hump. Shanking dudes arguably puts you over the wealth hump way faster, since if you've got 5 assault rifles and a couple of bulletproof vests you can basically buy the parts for whatever you want.

On top of having all those mentioned above in one map, that being the military outpost, there's also a hideous amount of other poo poo in there. Including ~120 bullets plus what you loot from soldiers. That place is literally the Fort Knox of this game as long as you take the risk of clearing the soldiers in there. I lost two people to that place on my first playhrough, but it was worth it.

I can only imagine all the things you could barter that ammunition for if you have Katia etc, it's basically game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

I had raiders hit me once during the winter and they stole some snow I had lying around. How big of a 'gently caress you' is that? Shooting up the place and injuring someone for something they could have scooped up literally anywhere. Maybe all the remaining snow was peed in or something.

• Locked thread