Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just bought the game after stumbling across a few LP's of it. What are the key, things you need to collect to survive, items in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Never turn down electrical components, they are not available from the trader and you need a certain amount to make your thingies.

Make booze. Civilizations were built on that.

Oh, and whatever drug kids take for depression these days, stock up.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

glug posted:

Never turn down electrical components, they are not available from the trader and you need a certain amount to make your thingies.

Make booze. Civilizations were built on that.

Oh, and whatever drug kids take for depression these days, stock up.

Thanks! Game is so awesome. The somewhat random nature of the game is pretty cool too, but it's still pretty easy to get the hang of too. Sort of simple to play, hard to master.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Me too. Its like these new gen roguelikes that are really just randomized or procedural game settings with some story and polish on it, and lots of atmosphere. I need to find more cool polish games.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Clear out the rubble in your shelter first thing you can -lots of good stuff to get you started there. There's almost always an empty location to scavenge, for an easy leg up at the beginning. If you got a good scavenger/trader, let them sleep during the day so they're fit for fight during the night. Make a crowbar first thing you can - opens door, bashes in heads, real handy. Never attack anyone in the open unless you are really really sure they're alone.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Was looking for this thread some week or two back when this just came out and although I am not playing it much anymore, I did want to drop in and say reroll for Boris for auto win.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I seem to have lost my knack for stealthy one hit kills, was something changed? Using Pavel and a hatchet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I am very glad that I bought this game, it's fantastic. I think I've put twelve hours into it since I bought it at 10pm last night.

My only complaint echoes that of others here, that it just gets too easy. I suppose it's at least partially because I violated the cardinal rule of these kinds of games and delved into the wiki/thread too early, causing me to know all the tips and tricks. Honestly, even the "dangerous" maps are nothing to worry about, in fact they are kinda more valuable than the quiet ones because it's so easy to drag people into murderholes and Batman them for kicks.

This definitely seems like the kind of game where you have to put self-limitations on in order to keep the challenge up. No killing, no stealing (god help you), or whatever.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I'm just completely awful at combat. I've had 6 or 7 runs now (about 15 hours game time) turn sour because I get blown away when trying to murder anyone. I've batmanned 2 guys in total with the knife, but then often get ganked by the last 1 or 2 guys on the map.

Love the game, but I just dont have the will anymore to play the first hour over and over again.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Just save-scum your way through combat-maps. I generally try to avoid save-scumming, but sometimes it really feels justified in this game. I'd probably recommend it to anyone just to learn their way around combat, because it's a waste of time to go in without knowing what to do and fail multiple runs in a row. Also, the game only saves on the start of a new day, so if you quit on a combat map, you're gonna start back at the start of that day. That makes save-scumming just annoying enough to want to avoid it, so there's still plenty of tension left in a night-run.

The best thing you can do is to use the batman-wall-holes and avoid normal combat completely. Murdering one guy probably draws in the rest, so switch position, break line of sight, and hide in a new hole. Any other type of combat is less effective. Even stealth attacks from behind often don't kill a target and finishing someone off can be pretty iffy. Straight-up combat is suicide.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah I wouldn't feel too bad about save scumming until you figure out the mechanics of combat. Just bear in mind that a closet kill is always an instant kill while a normal backstab is just very damamging and usually allows for retaliation

E. It is kinda funny how in a month you can go from starving and cold to Captain Of Industry once you get those distilleries and herb farms running

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 25, 2014

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Here's an LP showing how to scavenge the military outpost using Pavle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbcuK8WBKE8&t=220s

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So the radio says that the price of cigs and tobacco is skyhigh but this is not reflected in trade with the Church or anywhere else, is that a bug?

Also, fighting has blocked off so many places for 10+ days. Does it last that long?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Does playing the guitar (with someone talented) help those with depression? Or is it time to hit the booze / have a chat with them instead?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I was clicking on bookmarked threads and didn't look at the title. I read the last post and was like... what the gently caress am I reading? Is this the achewood thread?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

jerichojx posted:

So the radio says that the price of cigs and tobacco is skyhigh but this is not reflected in trade with the Church or anywhere else, is that a bug?

Also, fighting has blocked off so many places for 10+ days. Does it last that long?

Dunno about the first one, but note that cigs have such a low base price anyway that the shortage event doesn't actually increase the price that much. 200% of practically nothing is still practically nothing.

Regarding the fighting, yep. The fighting event typically lasts about 2 weeks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The cigs thing was a bug. They said they were going to try and fix it but i've long put the game down.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
drat clearing out the back of the Military outpost is hard. Last 3 guys (I think) just stick together making it really difficult to murder them from the shadows.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm playing this at a really high res. (It runs just fine and looks real nice.) but whenever I open up a menu (or just in gameplay on the bottom part of the screen all the way across (where the character sheets are) I get flicker.
Anyone else? Know how to fix, by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does anyone have comments my upgrade path?

- one bed
- metal toolshop for shovel & crowbar
- stove (and upgrade asap)
- second bed
- rainwater catcher
- alcohol
- upgrade house workbench
- 2x animal traps
- board up x3
- no idea beyond this point.

right now I'm at the point where I can upgrade the workbench, yet i have no locations to find more food or fertilizer. This is making me a bit nervous.

edit; also, does anyone else compulsively restart when they lose a team member? I just can't let go of Pavle man, ... :(

double nine fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 26, 2015

• Locked thread