Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Really, this show drove it home with a sledgehammer: John Cena is a TERRIBLE friend.

Look at what's happened. In storyline, Ziggler's lost his IC title, Sheamus is injured, and supposedly so was Zack Ryder. Cena talks about how THE EVIL AUTHORITY MUST BE DEFEATED, yet he doesn't show up after Zggler's lost, nor does he show up to help Sheamus or Big Show.

Honestly, I think Cena's gimmick is he's a perfect sociopath, completely and utterly camoflaged. Which probably says a lot about humanity that kids love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Cory Lidle posted:

For all their focus on "sports entertainment" and story-line driven programming, WWE sure isn't very good at telling stories. Maybe if they focused on telling good stories instead of "gently caress you, this is the story we're telling, the one we just pulled out our rear end, loving marks" maybe people would care in a positive way for more than a PPV cycle.

It says a LOT that when they got in someone who actually tried to keep track of these things with story bibles and stuff, Vince/others mocked him as a nerd and may have even fired him for it, I've heard a few variations of the story.

The people in charge of WWE are the strangest paradoxes. I guess it's a side effect of being micromanaging control freaks.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

I kind of find it sad that all the great super talents of the Rock and Wrestling era were either egomaniacs, politickers, or mentally damaged near-psychopaths who hit women, but the moment Bret Hart (whose vices were considerably less) got on top business went badly and he ultimately ended up screwed due to Vince McMahon assuming everyone played the game of life the same way he did.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Roman Reigns posted:

I figured Ryder would be that guy who got his arms ripped off by Superboy Prime on two separate occasions.

That would be Risk.

I am so ashamed I pulled that name out of my memory within the space of a second.

Ironically, much like Zack Ryder, the very last time Risk did anything notable was when he got his other arm torn off. He never appeared again. Much like Zack Ryder.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

That DICK! posted:

He looks like Jon Snow with his mouth closed

He also looks a lot like Casey Jones according to some people.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Cena probably hates wrestling fans more than Vince and Dunn combined.

Cena doesn't hate wrestling fans. This is what John Cena cares about.

The problem is, that might be EVERYTHING he cares about. As people who have watched Total Divas can attest, Cena can come off like he's suffering from severe depression when he's not on stage being John Cena The Wrestler. The issue is, and always has been, Vince. Remember when everyone was furious over Cena trashing the Wyatts after Summerslam? That was on Vince's order: he felt that Cena needed to 'look strong' again after how badly Lesnar beat him. He didn't, but Vince though he did, and that's all that mattered. And Cena went out and did it because that's what he was told to do.

Honestly, I think Cena's decade long reign isn't because of his drawing talent (whatever it may be), or his merch sales, or his ability to handle a polarized crowd. I think it's because he has legit if subtle mental issues and hence is very manipulable, and to Vince, that is the ultimate wrestler. No standing up for yourself, or playing political games back, or being a drugged out poo poo disturber, or leaving to do movies: Cena is a lifer who will do whatever Vince tells him and that's all Vince needs.

I sometimes wonder if Cena would still have been pushed as hard had he not had his positive traits like his Make A Wish devotion or his merch sales, solely because Vince would love how easily he could make Cena do what he wants. Or if Cena hadn't backed into his rapper gimmick wholly by accident and ended up another drifter who was released in a year or two, what would have happened to him.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Suben posted:

Please stop using Total Divas as proof of anything other than a reality show that's even more of a work than most reality shows.

Stuff like the Divas fighting and Nattie's marriage issues are obviously works. If Cena is actually putting on some sort of act for SOME reason on that show that runs completely contrary to his in-ring persona and his general public persona, he deserves a drat honorary Oscar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

WWE doesn't have text mate, nevermind subtext.

WWE has selfawareness text, or lack thereof. They're the kind of writers who end up making their real intentions and desires screamingly obvious in their work even if they try not to. See: Game of Thrones.

• Locked thread