Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the Superbowl?
The AZ Cardinals
Cardinals
Arizona
Cards
View Results

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Look Around You posted:

At least football advanced stats did not get named literally after random people on a lovely team's coaching staff who had nothing to do with the stat being popularized (except that out of sheer luck it turned out they did, but the blogger who named the stat did not know it) like hockey's are with Corsi and Fenwick.

Actually they did have that, it was called KUBIAK and I guess the name got scrapped when he got a head coaching job

e: damnit pyromance

also I was apparently wrong about it being scrapped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

In uplifting news, noted Steelers sieve Mike Mitchell has taken a break from twitter after telling a fan to kill himself via DM.

Good to know he sucks off the field, too.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

PFF @PFF posted:

Ryan Mallett's average time per pass attempt was 2.06 seconds vs CLE. Off the charts fast, lowest in the league this week.

PFF @PFF posted:

More Mallett: When ball was out in under 2.5 secs passer rating was 123.1, when it was >2.5 seconds: 31.3 passer rating.

Seems pretty goddamned fast.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

b0ng posted:

That explains the meth habit.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Intruder posted:

Actually they did have that, it was called KUBIAK and I guess the name got scrapped when he got a head coaching job

e: damnit pyromance

also I was apparently wrong about it being scrapped

Oh drat. Is that a major stat used? At least it's only one!

Literally the two biggest "advanced stats" used in hockey right now are Corsi and Fenwick, both named after people. Corsi is (shot attempts for - shot attempts against) and fenwick is ([shot attempts for - shot attempts blocked] - [shot attempts against - shot attempts you block]). They're both used as proxies for possession, since nobody actually tracks how long a team literally has the puck. Also there's PDO, which is supposed to measure luck or whatever, which is literally named after a blogger iirc. Basically hockey stats need to be named after what they measure (total shot differential) instead of random loving names, because they're super hard to remember and I may have mixed them up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Codependent Poster posted:

That explains the meth habit.

They don't call it speed for nothing.

Also remember when we all laughed at him calling it the Maseratti offense?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

b0ng posted:

In 2.5 seconds a receiver, even untouched at the line, is only going to be like 15 yards into a straight line route with no moves or deviation from the line. I'm guessing, without having seen the game, that this means there were a bunch of fades, crossing route, and timed comebacks?

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

No Butt Stuff posted:

In 2.5 seconds a receiver, even untouched at the line, is only going to be like 15 yards into a straight line route with no moves or deviation from the line. I'm guessing, without having seen the game, that this means there were a bunch of fades, crossing route, and timed comebacks?

There were a couple of deeper throws but he pretty much missed all but like 1 of them. He did have Andre Johnson open after Haden bit hard on a double move but the placement wasn't there and it went incomplete. That really doesn't give a QB much time to go through progressions either but it was still a night and day difference between him and how long Fitzpatrick would hold onto the ball.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Look Around You posted:

Oh drat. Is that a major stat used? At least it's only one!

It's pretty much only used by FO, so it doesn't come up very much. If you mentioned a KUBIAK projection to about 99% of fans, most of them are just going to stare at you blankly.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
My favorite thing about the WPA/EPA is that they don't lead to any surprising conclusions at all. Like, yep, JJ Watt is really loving good what a revelation. It's not like something like WAR that attempts to boil down disparate parts of a player's game into one number which leads to things like "Hmm, maybe Ben Zobrist is better than he gets credit for."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

b0ng posted:

There were a couple of deeper throws but he pretty much missed all but like 1 of them. He did have Andre Johnson open after Haden bit hard on a double move but the placement wasn't there and it went incomplete. That really doesn't give a QB much time to go through progressions either but it was still a night and day difference between him and how long Fitzpatrick would hold onto the ball.

He didn't get it to Andre because he wasn't able to step into the throw, his line was being pushed back into him. Yeah, most of his passes were pretty short. He took four shots down the field, that one to Andre, the completion to Hopkins which was beautiful, the end zone shot thrown slightly behind Hopkins who had gotten between two defenders and was open but because the pass was behind him Haden was able to recover and tip it to himself for the pick, and a Hopkins sideline route to the end zone that went way OOB. Those are the only ones I remember, I could be missing one or two

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

My favorite thing about the WPA/EPA is that they don't lead to any surprising conclusions at all. Like, yep, JJ Watt is really loving good what a revelation. It's not like something like WAR that attempts to boil down disparate parts of a player's game into one number which leads to things like "Hmm, maybe Ben Zobrist is better than he gets credit for."

Not too long ago Phillip Rivers was comfortably ahead of everyone in both WPA and EPA :laugh:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

b0ng posted:

I'm pretty sure Andy Dalton has led in this pretty much since he came into the league so take from that what you will

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

Not too long ago Phillip Rivers was comfortably ahead of everyone in both WPA and EPA :laugh:

And a ton of people were saying "How would Watt ever win MVP with Manning and Rivers performing how they are" and oh look who's still going strong?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That's embarrassing from Ron Rivera. Every single player knew what he did was chicken/horse poo poo at the end of the game. Cam Newton flat out punted when asked on it, saying "Hey man I'm just the game manager."

What awful thing did Jason say?

quote:

“I’ve been in the league a long time. I know two things. You never want to give a team a chance to win a game, with how much time was left on the clock. And asking a kicker to make a 50-yard field goal with the game on the line is rough sledding,” Avant said, via Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer. “If that’s the only option, yes. But if it’s not, you want to get as close as you can and think score and play to score a touchdown. Because I’d rather the team have to score a touchdown to win the game than to have to kick a field goal. It’s just a lot different. It’s a 30-yard difference.”

Pitiful. Jason Avant is basically the nicest guy in the league and hadn't said a thing all year as they completely wasted him on post routes when they weren't calling flea flickers to jericho cotchery. Between this and Ron leaving the starters in for the Philly game, I can't imagine anyone takes him seriously anymore.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

And a ton of people were saying "How would Watt ever win MVP with Manning and Rivers performing how they are" and oh look who's still going strong?

How many TD's does Watt need to have by the end of the regular season in order to be considered for the MVP race? 6? 7? I think if he gets another defensive score and another receiving TD he has to be up there in voting, finishing 2nd or 3rd behind whatever QB ends up with the best stats/record.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

That's embarrassing from Ron Rivera. Every single player knew what he did was chicken/horse poo poo at the end of the game. Cam Newton flat out punted when asked on it, saying "Hey man I'm just the game manager."

What awful thing did Jason say?

Pitiful. Jason Avant is basically the nicest guy in the league and hadn't said a thing all year as they completely wasted him on post routes when they weren't calling flea flickers to jericho cotchery. Between this and Ron leaving the starters in for the Philly game, I can't imagine anyone takes him seriously anymore.

Rivera will at least be gone at season's end, and they should have enough money with some of those RB contracts up that they can get some talent around Cam. I just hope Avant sticks somewhere else. The guy is the complete opposite of locker room cancer that seems to prevalent and would be a real get for anyone, especially a team who needs a hands guy.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

My favorite thing about the WPA/EPA is that they don't lead to any surprising conclusions at all.

"Alex Smith has played better this year than Russel Wilson"

"There are about twenty cornerbacks better than Richard Sherman this year"

"Tashaun Gipson is a considerably better safety than both Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas this year, and marginally better than both of them put together"

None of these things are particularly intuitive to me (nb. it's coincidence that they all involve Seattle players)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Rivera will at least be gone at season's end, and they should have enough money with some of those RB contracts up that they can get some talent around Cam. I just hope Avant sticks somewhere else. The guy is the complete opposite of locker room cancer that seems to prevalent and would be a real get for anyone, especially a team who needs a hands guy.

Yeah but Jerry will just hire another defensive coordinator lifer he can get for cheap. Gotta "control the clock, establish the run, play the game the right way. Not like those assholes like Joe Namath over in the American Football Conference."

Excuse me if I'm not excited for the Perry Fewell experience.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah but Jerry will just hire another defensive coordinator lifer he can get for cheap. Gotta "control the clock, establish the run, play the game the right way. Not like those assholes like Joe Namath over in the American Football Conference."

Excuse me if I'm not excited for the Perry Fewell experience.

I'm not super familiar with the coaching history, but he can't be that mired in his ways as a mid-90s expansion owner, can he?

I dunno who would even be available next year. Maybe Cam will be a Schiano man.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm not super familiar with the coaching history, but he can't be that mired in his ways as a mid-90s expansion owner, can he?

I dunno who would even be available next year. Maybe Cam will be a Schiano man.

Cam Newton meet Mike Smith :allears:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Every single coach he's hired has wanted to run the ball, establish the run, and was from the north east.

Dom Capers: Steelers DC
John Fox: Giants DC
Ron Rivera: A few places, but Eagles DC. Also passed over numerous times for HC spot, hired because he was cheaper than Harbaugh and part of Marty Hurney bizarre two head coaches fever dream.

Only time they really deviated was George Seifert, who was hired for his name and was a complete disaster. Another defensive "mind," however.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I don't follow the Panthers closely enough to be enraged by Ron Rivera's apparently atrocious play-calling (aside from the fluke Riverboat Ron era last season), but sending a hobbled Cam out as cannon fodder and doing Jason Avant dirty like this is making my blood boil. I hope Carolina is able to shed this clown as soon as possible.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Going back to advanced stats, apparently Mallett had a negative PFF grade on the game which I find interesting given he was #4 among QBs in DYAR. I don't know what his actual score was, since I assume it's behind a paywall, but it was mentioned that both he and Hoyer graded negatively on the game in the ReFo game review

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Intruder posted:

Going back to advanced stats, apparently Mallett had a negative PFF grade on the game which I find interesting given he was #4 among QBs in DYAR. I don't know what his actual score was, since I assume it's behind a paywall, but it was mentioned that both he and Hoyer graded negatively on the game in the ReFo game review

It's -0.1 which is pretty much the definition of mediocre. PM'd you the offensive grades for browns game.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

b0ng posted:

How many TD's does Watt need to have by the end of the regular season in order to be considered for the MVP race? 6? 7? I think if he gets another defensive score and another receiving TD he has to be up there in voting, finishing 2nd or 3rd behind whatever QB ends up with the best stats/record.

I'd say the Texans either have to make the playoffs on one or two more great games of his so that the narrative is peaking during voting or else he needs to break the sack record. Anything less and he probably just gets DPotY

*edit*

VVVVVVV
I absolutely agree, but unfortunately good smart cool thoughtful people like us TFFers don't get to vote, sports "journalists" do. :barf:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 19, 2014

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
These stats are just what QBs do these days. What JJ Watt is doing is something special and should be MVP. There isn't anyone even close in my mind.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

JJ Watt got shut down by the Raiders offense.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chris de Sperg posted:

He had one bad game. Sorry, this isn't going to undo 0-16

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chris de Sperg posted:

Iirc you were triple teaming him at one point. Seems to me he's doing an amazing job if he's occupying two additional blockers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also he scored a touchdown :hehe:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chichevache posted:

Iirc you were triple teaming him at one point. Seems to me he's doing an amazing job if he's occupying two additional blockers.

It took all 5 linemen and 1 tight end, but we shut JJ Watt the gently caress down :smug:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Intruder posted:

He had one bad game. Sorry, this isn't going to undo 0-16

on that note can you edit the title of the raiders thread because the fact that the title says 0-18 bugs the poo poo out of me, and the other thing that bugs me is the fact that my diaper is full of poopy because im literally 18 months old

just so this isn't something that could just be a pm, is the FO version of replacement level signing a guy off the street or just, like, starting the backup instead? because, as bad as say, eli was last week or whatever, i find it really hard to believe a street FA could be like 200 DYAR better

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

on that note can you edit the title of the raiders thread because the fact that the title says 0-18 bugs the poo poo out of me, and the other thing that bugs me is the fact that my diaper is full of poopy because im literally 18 months old

just so this isn't something that could just be a pm, is the FO version of replacement level signing a guy off the street or just, like, starting the backup instead? because, as bad as say, eli was last week or whatever, i find it really hard to believe a street FA could be like 200 DYAR better

I like the error in the title, it makes it seem like the Raiders legitimately can do NOTHING right

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The baseball version of the term means a guy any team should have hanging around the minors who will come in and suck but not be absolutely horrendous. If they try to match that with football I guess it means practice squad talent/guys who get cut at the end of preseason?

Or maybe they redefine it so it makes sense.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
According to Rotoworld

quote:

ESPN reports the Colts have "begun researching" ex-Browns RB Ben Tate, and "appear interested in possibly claiming him" off waivers.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Would love it, but someone else will claim him before the Colts can. The bright side is that Zurlon Tipton will probably get carries now.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
When does he clear waivers?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Reminder that this happened the last time RG3 played the Niners

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spoeank posted:

Reminder that this happened the last time RG3 played the Niners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

numerically it's something like 30% worse than the average nfl play

• Locked thread