Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the Superbowl?
The AZ Cardinals
Cardinals
Arizona
Cards
View Results

• Locked thread
Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

At least football advanced stats did not get named literally after random people on a lovely team's coaching staff who had nothing to do with the stat being popularized (except that out of sheer luck it turned out they did, but the blogger who named the stat did not know it) like hockey's are with Corsi and Fenwick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Intruder posted:

Actually they did have that, it was called KUBIAK and I guess the name got scrapped when he got a head coaching job

e: damnit pyromance

also I was apparently wrong about it being scrapped

Oh drat. Is that a major stat used? At least it's only one!

Literally the two biggest "advanced stats" used in hockey right now are Corsi and Fenwick, both named after people. Corsi is (shot attempts for - shot attempts against) and fenwick is ([shot attempts for - shot attempts blocked] - [shot attempts against - shot attempts you block]). They're both used as proxies for possession, since nobody actually tracks how long a team literally has the puck. Also there's PDO, which is supposed to measure luck or whatever, which is literally named after a blogger iirc. Basically hockey stats need to be named after what they measure (total shot differential) instead of random loving names, because they're super hard to remember and I may have mixed them up.

• Locked thread