Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Saint Wendy's Academy is beginning its 131st year of educating young men and women in the Green Bay area. Almost 900 students in grades 9-12 are experiencing first-hand the importance of a Catholic, Christian college preparatory education. Students here are challenged to grow their intellect and embrace Christ to improve their spiritual and moral character for the rest of their lives. We work hard to build a loving Christian community that strives for excellence in all we do, ultimately for the greater glory of God.

At least that's what the brochure says. St. Wendy's is an academy of the old school variety: students wear standardized, modest uniforms and undergo a traditional style of education under Father Guiseppe Montvale. The rest of the brochure mentions that they do not engage in corporal punishment (twice) and academic and that moral standards are strictly enforced (three times). Whatever they are doing, it seems to be effective: the graduation rate and college acceptance rates are both 99%.

Welcome to Saint Wendy's Academy! Despite the insistence in the brochure on "moral character" and "academic rigor," St. Wendy's is very much like a regular high school. Students go on dates and attend parties and get mixed up in all of the usual stumbling blocks of the teenage years. The important part is not letting that get out to the teachers and faculty. It's a warm and welcoming environment so long as you appear to toe the line and stay inside the bounds.

As monsters, this is going to be loving difficult.

Who can you trust? Where will you go to be your true self? You could face death - or worse, expulsion.

This is going to be a pretty standard Monsterhearts game with one caveat. Backstories aside, none of you know that the others are monsters (yet). As an additional character creation step, select a "tell" that gives away your status. It can be something reasonably obvious (like a vampire having fangs) or something that could come out at an inopportune moment (like an Infernal having a huge tattoo on his back or chest). If your tell is at all obvious, invent a cover story.

No duplicate playbooks (if you want to compete that's fine, but I will only accept one of each). If this is your first time with Monsterhearts check out the webpage where you can buy the book and check out the free downloads. If you're familiar with *World games, you can probably get by with the free reference sheets. You should buy the book, though. Avery McDaldno is freaking awesome.

In particular check out Safe Hearts. This game deals with some pretty obvious queer themes and overtones that might be troubling. Feel free to challenge yourself and others. Make certain you understand the difference between character consent and player consent. Don't be a creep.

The opening of the game will be set around January in the dead of a Wisconsin winter. You've all had homeroom together for four months and are at least familiar. Go wild!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Interested, will put up a character when I get home.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
I straight-up just bought this book yesterday, I'll throw something together tonight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Roberta Clark

Ruby the Ghoul

"Ooh, pictures from my old school! Yeah, let's show these to everybody. That way I can totally fit in on my very first day? Do you have one of the time Eric Determan locked me in the supply closet? No? Then do you have any gasoline? I can wrap these things up in my old uniform and burn them together. Seriously, if you show these to anyone I will kill myself."

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Ooh, I've been itching to play Monsterhearts since I heard of the game. I'll put a character together, leaning towards Ghost right now.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Aw yiss.

I want to play either a Fae or a Queen. (If the former, drama club! If the latter, weightlifting team all the way, baby!)

Will get back to this when I get home from work.

Edit: change of heart, totally gonna do a Werewolf.

Alex Stillman
(picture coming soon)

• Recently moved from Moose Lake, Minnesota. Big Vikings fan. (This is surely a polarizing religious issue in Green Bay.)
  • Introduced himself at school as "Xander", then decided the next day he didn't like that after all. Is "Alexander" on school paperwork, "Alex" to his friends, and "Xander" to people who don't care enough to remember (or who want to make a different sort of point, I guess.)
  • Had a strange incident when his car broke down on a back road through Moose Lake State Park a few months back. (It's really more scrubland than forest, but it is easy to get isolated out there.)
  • Lifts weights. Lifts weights A LOT. Plans to join the Marines. The family moved to Green Bay to be closer to his dad's relatives, since dad's Gulf War syndrome has gotten worse.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 18, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wow, Catholic school. That brings me back. Gonna have to figure out a Skin for this game.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I'm interested in submitting a fae sometime tonight. With a family that converted to Catholicism to exercise the fae from their blood.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Halloween Jack posted:

Ruby the Ghoul

"Ooh, pictures from my old school! Yeah, let's show these to everybody. That way I can totally fit in on my very first day? Do you have one of the time Eric Determan locked me in the supply closet? No? Then do you have any gasoline? I can wrap these things up in my old uniform and burn them together. Seriously, if you show these to anyone I will kill myself."

Who was your crush in middle school, and why did he or she turn you down?

From whom did you learn to hate yourself?

What item do you love but keep hidden, and where do you keep it?

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Interested.

Going to go with a Wyrm if we can use Second Skins. Otherwise, probably an infernal.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Sophie the Ghost

"What's new? Oh, not much. Christmas with my parents, I got to skip church 'cause I was coming down with something. In retrospect I should have gone, probably would have saved me in at least one way, which I guess is kind of ironic. I don't really remember what happened except that I heard a noise downstairs, there was somebody in the house and then... I don't know... I think somebody grabbed me, everything went dark and then the cold. I remember the cold.

The next thing I know I'm standing in the driveway, just staring at the blue and red colors that the police cruiser is painting on the walls of our house. I notice I'm not wearing my jacket but I don't really feel cold anymore. I don't really feel much of anything at the time. I walk into the house and everyone goes nuts, my mom's hugging me and even dad looks like he's so relieved he could cry. Somehow that last part is the most surreal thing about all this.

Eventually the cops leave and everything goes back to normal. Except not. Something's not right and I think deep down my parents know it. Relief turns into something else and they slowly start ignoring me, treating me like I'm some kind of burden. Like coming back somehow inconvenienced them or something because I'm not the same anymore. Instead of remembering their sweet little girl now they gotta deal with the fact that something strange came back that night and they just... can't."

quote:

Name: Sophie Townsend
Look: Meek, Piercing Eyes
Origin: Murdered in cold blood
Skin: The Ghost

Hot -1 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 2

Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5

Conditions:

Strings:
2 on Ruby
1 on Alex
1 on Coppelia
1 on Steven (NPC)
1 on Jason (NPC)

Moves:
Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your death onto your current situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, give two people the blamed condition. On a 7-9, give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each, choose one:
} You gain the delusional condition,
} You can’t speak during this scene,
} You suffer one harm,
} You start re-enacting the scene of your death.

Hungry Ghost
You find sustenance in sadness. When others dump their emotional problems on you, roll with dark. On a 10 up, they lose all their conditions, and you choose one:
} Mark experience,
} Carry one forward,
} Gain a String on them
On a 7-9, they choose one:
} They lose all their conditions,
} They gain a String on you.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one another’s characters. This can be spoken by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The other person must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Backstory:
- Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They gain a String on you.
- You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.

Tell:
A faint chill surrounds Sophie when she's upset or agitated and her clothes always look washed out and faded.

Atropha fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 22, 2014

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Jolinaxas posted:

Going to go with a Wyrm if we can use Second Skins. Otherwise, probably an infernal.

I haven't seen the Wyrm but I'll provisionally agree.

SuddenConsequences posted:

Sophie the Ghost

What do you miss most about being alive?

What went wrong when you tried eating?

Which part of you is fading first?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
I love original flavour Monsterhearts! I've got an idea for a newly turned Vampire that I'll get up later tonight.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Abraham the Queen

Between this boring town and this school with all its rules there's little place to have fun and let off some steam. So you organize some place, some people, some music, some drinks, and perhaps something extra, and let off that steam. Pretty much anything goes when we throw a party, but remember that what happens there, stays there. We don't need our parents, the community, and - least of all - the school to know. Hey, we'll help you out to look prim and proper on Monday morning if need be. We're all about helping each other out to cope with the poo poo parents, teachers, and life in general pour upon us. "We", that's our core crew that keeps the weekends lively to get us through the week. I'm the closest we have to a leader, nicknamed "The Queen". That was Amber's nickname and she started the whole thing, but graduated last summer, leaving me to inherit the name. I don't care even if some dumb jock makes jokes about me being a queen.

I know some people think of us as the rich kids who needn't worry about grades or disciplinary records because our parents' money will solve all our problems, but that's simply not true. We worry and have to deal with pressure and problems all the same (although maybe not the same kind of problems) and all we want is to get an opportunity to forget all that for a while, kick back, and have fun. We're not careless even then. Let me repeat: what happens at the party, stays there. No need for drama on Monday, no need for getting in trouble with parents or teachers. We will help you take care of that.

Seriously, I am good at taking care of the fears and problems of my friends. I feel like I have a special kind of connection with my friends. Sometimes, I even scares them when I seem to know things I shouldn't or simply couldn't. I can't really explain why, but sometimes I just know things.

quote:

Name: a name evoking leadership
Look: stunning, brooding eyes
Origin: most popular kid in school
Queen Moves:
The Clique: they’re connected (with money and designer drugs)
Streaming

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

quote:

Roger Borunda (fame and spear mountain peak, common names implying strength and tribulation)
Outcast Chosen with disquieting eyes, destined for greatness. He Comes Prepared to Light the Way.

You have an outlandishly large armory (the museum), complete with
ancient artifacts. Just in case the need arises.

Whenever your friends follow through on your commands
or your lead, they add 1 to their roll. (If your friends are
NPCs, they instead act at an Advantage.)

Hot 1, Cold -0, Volatile 1, Dark -1

Backstory
You have two friends who you can rely on for monsterslaying support. Take a String on each.
There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one,
and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two
Strings on you.

Tell
Wounds that don't bleed, being a dead ringer for a dead hero--photos of him at my age are rare, but they're there.

Sex Move
When you have sex, heal all of your wounds, and cure all
of your Conditions. If they disgust you, give them a String.
If you disgust yourself, give them a String.
Darkest Self
None of your friends can help. They’re not strong like
you are. You need to chase down the biggest threat
imaginable, immediately and alone. Any challenges or
dangers that you encounter must be faced head on, even
if they might kill you. You escape your Darkest Self when
someone comes to your rescue or you wake up in the
hospital, whichever comes fist.

I'm the kid with the merit scholarship and immediate family in the faculty discount: native mom in the art dept, latino dad in music. Being a quarterblooded Ho-Chunk didn't hurt my application either, since this school's whiter than Christmas. Don't do much in the way of extracurriculars, since family and friends alike tend to get roped into helping 'renovate' the roadside Indian Museum, mom's dad's--Chokah's (Grandfather's)--legacy. The place is basically the physical precursor to a blog: full of handwritten old photos, plaques under tribal artifacts, taxidermied creatures, and a bunch of worthless tchotchke tshirts and mugs that mom's older siblings filled the place up with while they ran it into the ground as a tourist trap after he died abroad. He was a world traveling ambassador, rural deputy, and--wouldn't you know--ghostbuster. We never got to meet, but all the old folks says I remind them of him... and sometimes they don't look too pleased about it.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 19, 2014

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Zurui posted:

What do you miss most about being alive?

What went wrong when you tried eating?

Which part of you is fading first?

"Just... everything. I can't really shop for clothes anymore because they never seem to last. They all start to look washed out and lovely after, like, a day and I don't know why. But that's probably why Madison and Jenny don't want to hang out with me anymore, so that's gone too. I try to at least put on makeup but it just dries out and my mascara gets clumpy and it doesn't really want to blend and it all just ends up flaking off. It's like everything I touch turns bad. I tried to hang out at the food court by myself the other day and if that wasn't depressing enough already when I tried to eat something it turned all moldy and goopy in my mouth and made me throw up, so I ended up just dry heaving and spitting this awful mush out and now I'm scared to even try eating anything again. Not that I really have to, I guess...

So yeah, I guess I miss my friends and going shopping; I'm not really fading but it feels like everything else is."

((Basically the idea is that she used to identify herself a lot through her stuff and being a hanger-on to the popular kids and now that she's dead those things are the first part of her 'self' that are slipping away, especially the physical things that are literally going bad under her fingertips.))

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Definitely interested, had some fun with Monsterhearts PBP in the past. One limitation, though...I'm going on vacation starting in the second week of December and will be gone basically the rest of the month. Would that kind of break totally break the game flow, or can we handwave it somehow?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Platonicsolid posted:

Definitely interested, had some fun with Monsterhearts PBP in the past. One limitation, though...I'm going on vacation starting in the second week of December and will be gone basically the rest of the month. Would that kind of break totally break the game flow, or can we handwave it somehow?

So long as I know about it, we can either throw you on a bus for a few weeks or introduce you after you're back.

frankenfreak posted:

Abraham the Queen

Why do some people accuse you of not living up to your predecessor's legacy?

What's the price of your protection?

What do you regret about the last year?

What's the worst part of being brown in a sea of white?

What did you do to earn the loyalty of your best friend?

Which of your forefathers converted to Catholicism, and why?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Definitely interested. I've always wanted to play a game of Monsterhearts but never had the chance. Probably going to roll up a chosen if you don't mind having a first time player?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

inklesspen posted:

Alex Stillman

Culpepper, Farve, or Ponder? Band of Brothers, Gods & Generals, Patton, or Generation Kill?

Why are you so attached to your car?

You gonna play football or wrestle?

Ferrosol posted:

Definitely interested. I've always wanted to play a game of Monsterhearts but never had the chance. Probably going to roll up a chosen if you don't mind having a first time player?

I would say a Chosen is probably not a great choice for a first-time player. They spend a lot of time in the spotlight and there's a significant amount of player responsibility. If you're looking for someone ostensibly human, lean toward the Mortal or Witch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zurui posted:

Who was your crush in middle school, and why did he or she turn you down?
Mark didn't turn me down exactly. I didn't know how to talk to him, I mean, I didn't know how to talk to anybody anyway. He was nice to me, which I guess is all it took, and I had this stupid idea that if he just saw me often enough he would, I don't know, make it obvious that he liked me, too. So I was just always wherever he was. I mean I was pathetic, like he couldn't go to the water fountain without having me in his field of vision. Then I noticed that he was noticing me, and he seemed kind of sad and...embarrassed? And his friends thought it was funny. I overheard somebody say "puppy dog" twice when they thought I wasn't listening, and after that I was a black belt at never, ever being anywhere near him. Turns out that blade cuts both ways.

I thought I was good at knowing people. What they're doing, where they're going, like the things you don't even know about yourself because you just do them without thinking when there's nobody around. But even that stuff is external. Being around someone doesn't make you close to them. I can smell bacon cooking but that doesn't mean I know what a pig is thinking. Ugh, I am so hungry.

quote:

From whom did you learn to hate yourself?
That would be my terrible mother who, if she's not currently trying to sell somebody an antique rug that Princess Mary's dog crapped on, is probably thinking up another way to fix me. That's basically her entire life; if something's not good enough, you fix it or improve it or just buy a new one, and nothing is ever, ever good enough. The only stuff she actually likes the way it is is mouldering old crap, which goes a long way to explaining why I'm in Catholic school now.

Yeah, about that. Dad got caught cheating, so he's out, which I guess...whatever. So she decides she hates her job, and her city, and our house, and basically our entire lives. So now I get to freeze my tits off in Wisconsin and wade through a daily river of poo poo about why can't I be like other girls, why don't I like fun things, why don't I talk to that guy, it would be nice if I went to youth group and it would be nice if I talked to that boy and it would be nice if I looked at this whole thing as an adventure. Yeah, it would be nice if she wasn't constitutionally incapable of ever leaving. Anything. The gently caress. Alone. Instead of loving with it and loving with it and loving with it until it's perfect.

quote:

What item do you love but keep hidden, and where do you keep it?
I have this vanity desk. It's almost too small for me to sit at, but it belonged to my grandmother on my father's side, so I had to keep it. I had to scream myself hoarse until Mom agreed to have it shipped. And in the bottom drawer of the desk there's a big thick book that belonged to my parents. Well, technically it's still theirs but I don't think they even want it because I don't think they're the same people. But they traveled a lot, and so in the book they put cherry blossoms they dried and pressed flat in Kyoto, a crochet pattern from Montevideo, and my favourite is the coins--most of the weight of the thing is the coins they brought back. And there's little notes in there, photographs, Dad proposed to Mom in Cyprus. So there must have been a time when they loved things for what they were and weren't trying to make everything fit in, and didn't look at everything like it's something you can fix, or improve upon, or trade in later when you have more money. But now that's like my Cypriot coins, a currency that nobody accepts.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I'm considering The Chosen myself, or perhaps going off-grid and trying the Gorgon, if permissible.

Also have created the #stwendy channel on SynIRC for those who want to chat.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Zurui posted:

What's the worst part of being brown in a sea of white?

People don't hope for you to teach them and widen their perspective or seek to earn the privilege, they expect it. Once I gave someone bad advice and hosed things up for them. I owned it and apologized, but they felt so betrayed by the fact that I hosed up being their personal medicineman they never talked to me again. Just about me, behind my back. I don't care about what they say or who's stupid enough to believe the rumors, but the reason for it bothers the hell out of me.

Zurui posted:

What did you do to earn the loyalty of your best friend?

Back in elementary school this dumbass bully Dillon, my neighbor, was stealing the big ornamental quartz rocks from Judith's yard, taking them to his and would roll them down the street or break them in half against each other at night to watch the sparks. She noticed them missing and went over to tattle on him one morning before school. His parents weren't home so he fought her over them when she tried to take them back herself. I ran out to try to break them up and ended up wrestling him. Turns out Dillon had a busted quartz rock in hand, and used the sharp edge to slice open my wrist deep, sawing across it a couple times. I didn't really feel it, and it didn't bleed that much, but Judith freaked, then smacked his face so hard he cried, ran back to his house and missed the bus.

She walked me to the nurse's office at our lovely rural school, and we shared the cracker I got with my bandaid. The cut scarred up horribly, but we've been tight ever since.

Zurui posted:

Which of your forefathers converted to Catholicism, and why?

The latino side, predictably. The twist is, my dad's dad, the proud-of-his-Spanish-from-Spain-heritage patriarch, just used his retirement money to get a DNA test to illuminate his family tree, and the results showed we were Spanish Jews--er, Israelites--who probably converted and changed their names to blend in during the inquisition, then immigrated later. Mom converted because of dad, but observes the Lodge too. The two religions haven't conflicted at all as far as I know, but I was mostly raised Catholic--did the altar boy thing and all that.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 19, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Adrianna, the Wyrm

I shouldn't be here. There's schools much more -prestigous- than this one that I applied to. Ones with names you remember. Names people recognize. But Father went here, and, therefore, so must I. The family even bought a house nearby. Not that it matters, Father's always on a plane to somewhere, and Mother telecommutes. All I have are my books.

I love books most of all - from first-edition signed hardcovers to the trash they sell to teeny-boppers in the supermarket magazine aisle. I know it's the information age, and I'm no opponent of technology, but you can't reach out and grab an audiobook. You can't hold an e-book PDF up to your face and smell the coffee shops it's been in, or the cigarettes someone smoked before devouring the book whole in a few fifteen-minute cigarette breaks and leaving it at a used bookstore, rushing on to the next thing, whatever it was.

Some of the others think may think I'm a little eccentric. That's okay. I'm sure my books would feel the same way, if they could talk. But they can't, so I may have to change up my strategy as I start another collection. This place is small - maybe I can have them all...

quote:

Character Name: Adrianna Mercante (A Name of Wealth)
Look: Expensive Look, Burning Eyes
Origin: In Your Blood (Two wrym-blooded parents)
Skin: The Wyrm

Hot -1, Cold +2, Volatile -1, Dark +1

Conditions:
Carry Forward:

Harm: ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Experience Points:
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) (advance)

Moves:

[+]Bargaining Ceremony
Drinking tea, sharing a cigarette, playing chess, or sitting back to back are all ceremonies.

When negotiating a bargain during a ceremony, both of you can offer Strings as part of that bargain.
This can include Strings you have on others, or new Strings that you generate on yourselves.
When you're both satisfied, the exchange occurs.

[+]The Bait
You have a collection of beautiful things – a library of books, old and new.
When you show it to someone, they inevitably find something they fancy.
They will mark experience when it becomes theirs and is no longer yours.

Also, choose one:
-They see something someone else would like, and when you show that someone the something,
carry one forward against them,
-The time has flown by and it's hours later than you thought.

[+]Jealous Coils
When someone else gets close to someone you covet and you act territorial, roll with dark.
On a 10 up, both: they lose a String on yourcoveted, and you gain a String on your coveted.
• On a 7-9, gain a String on your coveted, and your coveted chooses:
-Give you a Condition,
-You say something you'll regret.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, they choose at least one of these:
-Give the Wyrm a String on you, and take something from their collection.
-Give the Wyrm a String on you, and take a String on them.
-Give the Wyrm a String on you, and receive any promise from them you'd like.
-Give the Wyrm a String on you, and a Condition.

Darkest Self:
You've become too heady, too lax, too vague. You need to dominate one of the people-things that you treasure,
let it know that it's yours, that it doesn't get to choose who owns it – you do.
You escape your Darkest Self when your treasured thing proves that you don't own it entirely,
or when you see the difference between objects and people.

Backstory:
Judge each other PC as either “treasure” or “merely currency.”
If they're treasure, describe the moment they caught your eye, and give them a String.
If they're merely currency, take a String on them. They describe something off-putting that you said to them.

Strings:

Advances:

Tell: Her breath turns to smoke whenever she experiences an extremely strong emotion (anger, fear, sadness, arousal)

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 19, 2014

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Jolinaxas posted:

Adrianna, the Wyrm

When you browse for books, do you close your eyes and run your fingers over the spines and covers or look and only touch when you're ready?

When did you first realize your parents had abandoned you?

Why are you averse to physical contact?

Platonicsolid posted:

Also have created the #stwendy channel on SynIRC for those who want to chat.

I'm open to any idea so long as it's well-developed. I'll try to stop by IRC sometime tonight, but don't count on it. I'm always available via PMs.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Cassandra "Cassie" Peterson
Witch

"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."--Exodus 22:18

It's the old problem, Let them know what you can do and it's Salem again. Or the fires and Inquisition. Or the mob with it's torches and pitchforks. Keep your head down, never let them know what you can do, blend in, be a part of the crowd. But come on it's the 21st century people are a lot more accepting these days Mom's living in the past if she thinks we can keep this sort of thing secret when everyone who matters has facebook and a camera on their cellphone. Go to Catholic school, be extra religious. Mom it's not the 50's any more you stick out more if you behave like that. My parents are so lame. They could've been somebody instead they're just dead end middle management for some bank. What's the point of having power if you're too afraid to use it? My parents are trapped in old habits, old decisions, old regrets. I for one am going to do something new and make something of my life I don't want to be just another drone.

pre:
The Witch

Look: Edgy, Deep Blue Eyes
Origin: A Legacy wasted

Stats

Hot: -1
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 2

Moves:

*Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of
personal significance that you take from others. Each
sympathetic token counts as a String.

* Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast
them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret
ritual, or meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in
tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works,
and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose
one:
}} the casting does you 1 harm;
}} the Hex has unexpected side effects;
}} trigger your Darkest Self.

* Bide My Time
If you’ve got a sympathetic token against someone, add
1 to all rolls to hold steady against their actions or to run
away from them.

Hexes:

* Ring of Lies
Whenever the person attempts to lie, they hear a piercing
ringing noise. Big lies will often make their knees buckle
and disorient them. Severe lies can cause harm or even
brain damage.

* Watching
You enter a deep sleep, and begin to see the world through
the eyes of the hexed. You can feel their reactions to and
impressions of what they are seeing.

Sex Move
After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and it’s cool.

Darkest Self
The time for subtlety and patience is over. You’re too
powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You
hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have
unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you
are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you
must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Backstory

You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide
whose and what they are.

One of the others caught you rummaging through their
friend’s stuff, but kept quiet. They get a String on you.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Note to self for another game: drat, the Wyrm would be extremely my poo poo.

quote:

Why do some people accuse you of not living up to your predecessor's legacy?
Amber knew how to get the things she wanted for her closest friends and herself. Did something embarrassing last weekend? Better appease Amber or everyone will know. I'm not like that and I hope I never will be. Our parties should be about leaving all the worries weighing us down for the rest of the week aside for a while, not worrying that these precious few hours will come back to haunt you on Monday. The people who don't like this direction are those that were in Amber's inner circle and profited from her - let's call it what it was - blackmailing.

quote:

What's the price of your protection?
Price? Protection? I don't think about it that way. Sure, it be nice if you repaid us throwing the party by chipping in some money, bringing your own, or helping clean up afterwards. I'm not gonna be mad if you don't. Maybe you can do us a favor on another occasion. We'll see. - Obviously, the price is favors.

quote:

What do you regret about the last year?
Not reigning in the druggies. I've got no problem if you wanna smoke some weed or pop an E, but having a certain group of people do nothing but sit around in a corner, snorting lines, and talking about how awesome they are is becoming bothersome for me and a growing number of other people. Should have nipped that in the bud when I had the chance.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Morgan Ward, the Vampire

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It has been three days since my last confession, and these are my sins. I have willingly harmed others with my actions, and doubted God and my hope for salvation..."

It all started with my parents - they went travelling last summer and came back acting different. I didn't think anything of it, at least until one night when I woke up hungry for something red and sticky. They've been cursed, they wanted me to join them, and I guess they figured 'why bother asking'? They're trying to be encouraging about it; hey, look at the power we have, look at the life we can live, look at the eternity you have ahead of you! Eternity sounds great when you're not a sophomore, but it's pretty lovely for me. At best I look old enough to drive, so if I want to avoid the torches and pitchforks, good-bye college, good-bye dating, good-bye any hope of independence. We're going to be one big happy family, forever and ever.

It's funny, though, since I maybe lost my soul, I've kinda found God. Nothing like Mom bringing home some zonked-out frat boy for family dinner to convince you of the existence of good and evil. I've been going to weekday mass, and taking a bus across town for confessional (I don't get specific, but somehow it's still a load off my mind). I'm honestly kinda lost right now. Am I beyond saving? Am I destined to Hell? For now, I'm in a holding pattern, trying to keep my old life alive as long as I can. I've got a year, maybe a year and a half here until we'll have to move, so I'll have to make it count.

The Tell: It's totally cliche, but the fangs. They retract, so at least I can open my mouth without people breaking out the wooden stakes, but if someone catches me feeding, it's going to be real difficult to explain.

quote:

Name: Morgan Ward
Look: pale, with pained eyes
Skin: The Vampire
Origin: newly reborn

Conditions:

Harm
[ ][ ][ ][ ]

XP
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Stats:
Hot: +1
Cold: +2
Dark: -1

Sex Move
When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them.
When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on that
person.

Darkest Self
Everyone is your pawn, your plaything. You hurt them and
make them vulnerable, for sport, like a cat does with a
mouse. You feed to the point of death whenever you’re
alone with someone, though you take your time. You
escape your Darkest Self when you’re put in your rightful
place, by someone more powerful than you.

Moves

[+] Hypnotic
You can hypnotize people who have no Strings on you.
Roll with hot. On a 10 up, they do exactly what you wish
and have no idea that anything is wrong. On a 7-9, the
hypnosis works, but choose one:
  • they realize you hypnotized them;
  • they gently caress up your commands;
  • their sanity is unhinged.

[+] The Feeding
You feed on hot blood. If this is the first time they’ve ever
been fed upon, you both mark experience. When you feed,
choose two:
  • you heal 1 harm previously suffered,
  • you carry 1 forward,
  • they don’t die.

Strings

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Green Bean posted:

Morgan Ward, the Vampire

Why do you think the communion host doesn't turn to ash in your mouth?

The last time you ran into a hunter was a close call; how did you get out?

Hell is other people; who makes you feel like you're not a freak?

Ferrosol posted:

Why was your mother reticent to teach you hexes?

Is your home more Weasley or Weird Sisters?

What's your favorite fictional depiction of vampires?

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Carmine, the witch

I fuckin’ hate Wisconsin. Its cold as poo poo, there’s no good music and the people are all assholes. Hell, I couldn’t even tell you more’n a couple of their names. My blood’s too thin, my accent’s too thick and I miss my Granny. She’s rottin’ in some mausoleum now and I got shoved to the one uncle that would take me. Makin’ me go to this preppy-rear end private school. Only thing I got left of her? That little bag she always wore, called it her gree-gree or something. Didn’t take me long to figure out why nobody would take me and why I got stuck with an uncle who barely even knew Granny. See, Granny was a Catholic, only it wasn’t the same as the rest of the family. She’d tell me these stories about spirits and ancestors comin’ back to help us with our lives. And that gree-gree? It had power. Didn’t take much, just some hair or a bottle of lipstick… aww Jesus, I’m off on a tear ain’t I?

quote:

Character Name: Carmine LeDare (A Cold-Sounding Name)
Look: Guarded, Deep Eyes
Tell: The Gris-Gris bag that he keeps with him at all times
Origin: Voodoun (Louisiana Voodoo)
Skin: The Witch

Hot =0, Cold +1, Volatile -1, Dark +1

Conditions:
Carry Forward:

Harm: ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Experience Points:
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) (advance)

Moves:

[+]Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens – items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a string.

[+]Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet a target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can be easily reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
-The casting does you one harm;
-the Hex has unexpected side effects;
-trigger your Darkest Self.
Hexes
[+]Binding- The person cannot physically harm others
[+]Illusions- Snakes and bugs: The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations

[+]Sanctuary
You have a secret place for practicing witchcraft. Add 1 to all rolls you make within this space.

Sex Move:
After sex, take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and it’s cool

Darkest Self:
The time for subtlety and patience is over. You’re too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Backstory:
You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide whose and what they are.
One of the others caught you rummaging through their friend’s stuff, but kept quiet. They get a string on you.

Strings:

Advances:

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 22, 2014

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

River shifted on the cold bleachers and pulled his jacket tighter against the wind. The stands errupted into cheers around him; the Saint Wendy's Knights were pushing for a last minute comeback. River stood up so he could keep his eyes on his game. He didn't really know much about football, but he was starting to really get into the school spirit.

His parents had just moved the family to Green Bay, after finally finding their faith and having him babtized in time to enroll him in Saint Wendy's. He didn't think he would like it here at first. The sacremental bread stung his tongue and the church bells felt like a punch to the head, but he was having a lot more fun than he was expecting here.

The home crowd went quiet again for the next play. Third and four at the 30, the quarterback hands off to Marcus Jones, the star running back, and he breaks for a long run and goes out of bounds at the nine yard line. The crowd goes crazy.

River had spent his whole life in small town in wilderness of Northern California. His parents were newagers and successful enough artists that they never had to grow out of it. It was so easy to get bored in a small town in the middle of nowhere. There were never enough people to play with, and whenever he did, stories would get around too quick. He'd hear them whispering behind his back. The less superstitious of them thought he was a jynx, that bad luck just followed him in his wake. The more religious ones called him a devil's child.

A quick pass setup the Knights with a second and goal at the one yard line with five seconds left on the clock. Everyone was waiting for the inevitable hand-off to Jones, specially the Badgers scout on the sideline.

It was that last incident with his sister that must have pushed his parents into the Church. But they didn't realize how much he'd like it here. The Church was no fast cure and there were so many new people to play with here.

The crowd went crazy at the hand-off, Jones found his hole and cut in, only to be stuffed short of the goal line and fumble the ball. The crowd hardly knew how to react as a defender covered the ball and the clock ran out.

The home crowd's cheers turned to boos as the away stands erupted into celebration. River caught Marcus' eye and smiled. He shouldn't have broken his promise.

quote:

Skin: Fae
Name: River Philson
Look: Dainty with laughing eyes
Origin: Fae blooded

Conditions:

Harm
[ ][ ][ ][ ]

XP
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Stats:
Hot 2
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark 1

Sex Move:
When you life naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take two strings on them.

Darkest Self:
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

Tell:
Burns at the touch of cold iron.

Moves:
[+] Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
-they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
-add 2 to yur roll on an act of vengeance;
-they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

[+] Lure
Whenever someone makes a promise to you, they mark experience.
Whenever someone breaks a promise to you and you seek vengeance, mark experience.

Backstory:
You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one string.
You've captured someone's fancy. Gain two strings on them.

Strings:

walruscat fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 19, 2014

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Isaac McElroy

I know what you're thinking: "What's with the eyepatch and the hair?"

Well, it's complicated. Let's just say I was in a pretty bad injury.

I'm an orphan. My parents died in the same accident that led to their deaths. A year ago I got adopted into this super christian family, which is pretty surprising given that pretty much nobody adopts you when you stop being cute. They honestly aren't too bad, but occasionally I have to sit through some pretty unbearable christian media. But at least I have this one friend I can chat with who also finds all the Jesus talk overbearing.

Now I'm attending Catholic school. I'm hoping to find other people to talk to, since my friend can be a bit of a dick sometimes. Though she does want to know a lot about this school, so I don't know.

quote:

Isaac McElroy, the Infernal

Look: Anxious, Flickering eyes
Origin: Chosen

Stats
Hot -1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 1

Infernal Moves
- Soul Debt: Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.
- Dark Recruiter: When you bring an innocent soul to the dark power, mark experience.

Dark Power: The Connoisseur
Bargains
- Uncanny Voices: You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone you’re talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose).
- Strings Attached: You can ask the dark power for something that you really, really want. The MC will attach a price to the thing you want, and hint at an undesired twist in its nature. If you pay the price, you’ll get what you’re after.

Your Backstory
You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Zurui posted:

Why do you think the communion host doesn't turn to ash in your mouth?

I don't know, but honestly, it's the kind of mystery that gives me a sliver of hope. Maybe I'm not beyond redemption and there's enough of my soul left to send to heaven. Though that would also mean there's enough to send to hell; there's a reason I'm going to confession three times a week.

quote:

The last time you ran into a hunter was a close call; how did you get out?

I go out to feed by myself every so often; my parents generally bring someone home for me, but feeding around my family...it feels weird, somehow. I generally find some isolated homeless guy and do what I have to do. I usually slip $50 in their pocket afterwards, since that's what they pay at the local blood bank. The other night, I found someone sleeping in an alley, but something felt off about it. I went with my gut and aborted; instead I just walked by like I was taking a shortcut, and when I passed the guy, he shifted a little and I swear I saw a wooden stake under his coat. It was all I could do to just keep walking normally. I haven't been back since.

quote:

Hell is other people; who makes you feel like you're not a freak?
I'm actually in the school art club - I'm a pretty lovely artist, but I do like to draw. Thing is, a significant portion of the school is convinced that it's the club where all the gay kids hang out, which, by the way, is totally untrue! I'm actually really good friends with some of the other members, like Rebecca Moore and Mike Robinson, and I hate seeing them catch poo poo for no reason almost as much as I hate getting poo poo on myself. But it does remind me that there's a difference between being an outsider and being a freak.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

"Amy, is that you!?"

"YES! HOMEWORK!"

I pound up the stairs and dodge into my room, slamming the door. I know mom thinks it's some 'teen phase' and...gently caress, maybe it is. I've always been quiet. Never liked crowds. Sure, I'd like go to parties and stuff but...always 'cause somebody felt they had to, right? Kinda okay with it, most of the time. Other times...just wanted to be seen. To be...I dunno, popular? gently caress, that's so shallow. Better than popular. A showstopper.

But that basically never happened. Eh. I had friends online, anyway. There's this like, goth/occult chat thing I'm on. Good times. They told me the best way to dye my hair. One night there was this guy, some new guy, talking about what we'd want, if we could have one wish. Sooo....fduh, what else would want for? TO get noticed. To be super stunning. To stop people in their track.

Fffffffffuck that. Now I can't look mom in the eyes. I lied and said Mister Fluffypaws ran away. Couldn't tell mom that I turned him into a little statue. poo poo. Had him since I was three before dad...

...it's like a nightmare. One day at a time, right Amy? At least Mom works nights.

quote:

Name: Amelia Saunders
Look: Wallflower, downcast eyes, sleek hair
Skin: The Gorgon
Origin: A wish gone wrong

Conditions:

Harm
[ ][ ][ ][ ]

XP
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Stats:
Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Dark: 1

Tell
Amy now specifically avoids eye contact with people at all costs, leading to very weird social interactions. This is particularly notable for people who knew her in the past before this behavior developed.

Sex Move
If you and your partner can see each other when you have sex your partner becomes Petrified and takes 1 harm. The next time you meet, tell them either:
* You think you were a pity-gently caress, dare gently caress, or notch on their bedpost
* You think they were mainly motivated by affection and give them a string
Then they tell you whether you were right as either honesty or the audience demands. If you were you both take 1 forward. If you were wrong and they laughed at you they take 1 forward.

Darkest Self
You’re done hiding your gaze. If people can’t meet it, that’s their issue. You meet the gaze of everyone you encounter unless they are taking explicit precautions. If they try to hold your gaze you aren’t backing down. Escape your darkest self when either you actually turn someone to stone or someone takes 2 harm trying to talk (and stare) you down.

Moves

[+] Petrification
Whenever you look or gaze into someone’s eyes, roll to Shut Them Down. On a hit give them the condition Petrified - or if they are already Petrified they take 1 Harm as well as other consequences. If harm from this move would kill them they turn to stone. If you can see through it you can Petrify someone through it.

If you start a session (including the first) with no social conditions, gain your choice of:
* The condition Scary
* The condition Freak
* Any social condition you’ve had before
* Any social condition agreed by the table

[+] Oops!
Whenever you accidentally use Petrification on someone you care about, gain an experience point.

Strings

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 19, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Alex Stillman, Werewolf

Zurui posted:

Culpepper, Farve, or Ponder? Band of Brothers, Gods & Generals, Patton, or Generation Kill?

Why are you so attached to your car?

You gonna play football or wrestle?
You know, a lot of folks would go with Farve because, well, he's a legend. And I can't say I'd kick Daunte off my fantasy football team either. But Ponder is the underdog of those three, and I gotta go with him.

The car's like, what's that word, my sanctuary. School's tough, home life isn't the easiest with mom always at work and dad's health issues. But driving through the wilds, that's where I can really think about things.

Dad says the Marine recruiters pay more attention to wrestling, and I don't plan on going for college football, so that seems like an easy choice, right?

charsheet posted:

Look: wiry, savage eyes
Origin: favoured by the moon

Hot: 1, Cold: -1, Volatile: 1, Dark: 0

Scent of Blood: Add 1 to all rolls against those who have been harmed in this scene already.
Heightened Senses: When you rely on your animal instincts to make sense of a charged situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, ask the MC three questions. If you act on one of the MC’s answers, add 1 to your first roll. • On a 7-9, ask one:
  • Where’s my best escape route or way in?
  • Which enemy is the most vulnerable to me?
  • What’s their secret weakness?
  • What poses the biggest threat to me?
  • Who’s in control here?

Sex Move: When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.
Darkest Self: You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

NB: I think there's an excellent chance Alex will turn out to be genderqueer. However, he does not currently have the terminology to think about that idea in any sort of helpful way.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 22, 2014

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Coppelia Barnes, the Hollow

Forget quantum physics--this is a deterministic universe through and through, as anyone who went to high school could tell you. No one escapes who they are, no one beats cause and effect; there’s a place for everyone and everyone is in their place, forever and ever, world without end, amen. Like clockwork.

Literally, in my case.

I woke up for the first time in an old rocking chair in a basement workshop full of dismembered dolls and disassembled clocks. There was a dead old man on the floor, five thousand dollars in old banknotes on the bench, and a keyhole in my heart. The key was on a chain around my neck, and once I figured out I needed to wind myself, I was able to get up and take a look around.

The basement turned out to belong to an ancient house, way out in the woods. I buried the old man in the backyard. Was he the one who made me? I guess I’ll never know.

The house was full of books and in the month after my awakening I read them all, although none of them had been printed after 1950. I just knew how to read, just like I just knew long division, how to tie my shoelaces, even how to use a knife and fork (which might be someone’s idea of a joke, since I can’t even eat). What else do I know that I don’t know I know?

In an upstairs wardrobe I found a school uniform, in my size. There was a crest embroidered on the breast, the same one that was painted on the side of the bus that drove past the house every night and again every morning.

One morning I was waiting for it, wearing the uniform. I didn’t know what else to do.

The first day of school was…difficult. The fact that my mothball-smelling uniform was eighty years out of date (although still technically within St Wendy’s dress code) didn’t help. Also I'd forgotten to pick a name for myself, and had to think fast. Their computer said I wasn’t supposed to be there, but I managed to convince it I was. Machines are another thing I just know; probably because we’re related.

I made it without being found out—just—and so I was back again the next day, but it never gets any easier. I try so hard, but everything out of my mouth is awkward and dumb and alien. I’ll probably be found out one day and they'll smash me into a million pieces, and good riddance to me.

quote:

Look: stiff, with wide eyes
Origin: homunculus
Stats: Hot -1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark +1

Tell: Coppelia’s skin is cool and hard to the touch, closer to porcelain than human flesh. It cracks like porcelain too, and she doesn’t bleed. She can’t eat, either. Oh, and she has to wind herself for five minutes daily, and only with the key she carries around her neck.

Hollow Moves:
Flesh of My Flesh: When you lash out physically with your bare hands, you do an amount of harm equal to one more than the amount of harm you’ve got marked down on your own sheet.
Better Than Nothing: When you gain a Condition, mark experience.
Sex Move: After having sex with someone, replace your current sex move with theirs, adding this sentence to the end of it.

Darkest Self:
Your body is a prison. You don’t belong inside of it. You need to put it in harm’s way, and make it suffer, just like it’s made you suffer. There’s got to be a way to cut yourself out of it. You need to meet your makers, and hold them accountable for what they’ve done to you. To escape your Darkest Self, you must come face to face with someone who feels more trapped than you do.

Backstory:
You’ve been taking your social cues from someone, and doing so has taught you a lot about them. Gain 2 Strings on them.
Someone’s seen through your invented past, and realized it’s all lies. Give them 2 Strings on you.

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 19, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Zurui posted:

Why was your mother reticent to teach you hexes?

Mom said I'm not ready for that kind of power till I'm 18 because I'm not mature enough. Which is like total bull I'm plenty mature. Didn't stop me finding grannies old grimoire in the attic and teaching myself either. Why should I waste the most important years of my life when I have power at my fingertips just to keep my parents happy? Besides you can bet mom didn't have to wait till she's 18.

Zurui posted:

Is your home more Weasley or Weird Sisters?

Ugh, Shakespeare or Harry Potter seriously? I suppose my parents are like a lot closer to Shakespeare with all their medieval fears and the like.But we were pretty much like any other normal family you know two cars on the drive, home in the suburbs, Dad never did do much magic it was always left to mom. Mom was always real guilty about it and tried to keep it from me but you could just tell what she'd done.

Zurui posted:

What's your favorite fictional depiction of vampires?

It's this like really old film starring a young Brad Pitt, Interview with the Vampire where he plays some really old vampire dude who has like these awesome powers and gets to live forever but is really mopy about it for some reason. And like in the end he refuses to turn the reporter dude he's talking to into a vampire but his old boss does it anyway so everyone's happy.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

This is a bit out there, but would you be comfortable with someone playing The Parent as a teacher or something? I've wanted to try it, but I won't object if you shut me down.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Forums Terrorist posted:

This is a bit out there, but would you be comfortable with someone playing The Parent as a teacher or something? I've wanted to try it, but I won't object if you shut me down.

Because of the alien nature of adults in this game, likely not.

Fausts Pen posted:

Carmine, the witch

Which Loa/Saint did your Granny serve? Are you still loyal to it?

When you bound your first target, what went wrong?

What does the Wisconsin accent sound like to you?

Why doesn't River's father approve of him?

Why did your sister have to go away for a while?

Why do promises hold more weight in the winter?

Mr Tastee posted:

Isaac McElroy

How do you lose your eyepatch so often?

Why does your friend want you to make other friends?

What memento do you keep with you that reminds you of your parents?

What's your favorite part of scaring the poo poo out of someone?

What do you almost always wear that's out of uniform?

When was the first time you felt like you weren't popular enough?

Clipperton posted:

Coppelia Barnes, the Hollow

What was so grotesque about the way your maker died?

Do you have a soul? Do you dream?

Why are you ashamed of what you do for money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Holy sssssssssssssschneikes, I didn't expect this level of interest for an angsty game about being a teenager. We have thirteen apps so far with nine and two-halves character sheets. That's enough to run two, maybe three games of Monsterhearts. This doesn't mean you should not make a character if you haven't yet! I love them! I would totally be down for a huge game. However, I think that's too many monsters to be in one incoming class - things would get too sticky too quickly.

If someone else has been itching to run a Monsterhearts game then this would be a perfect opportunity. you can run it at another academy in the area and we can do minor crossovers. Alternately, we can pass notes and you can run a Sophomore class or something. I mean, look at all of these young kids. They just need a place to go to school! Don't you want to help them grow into the monsters they're meant to be?

Don't stop making characters! We only have one duplicate case (two Witches) and they're very distinct from the other. It's the concept that sells the character, not the skin.

• Locked thread