Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
Do u think that pagers will make a comeback? If so, why? If not, how come?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
do your own homework for your alternate history nanowrimo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

they will not come back because death is certain

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
no signs of this thread making a comeback thats for sure lol!

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
I think they will because they're easy to use and fit in your pocket. It's about convenience these days.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I watched the wire and they seem p useful

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB
Apr 6, 2006
before you could send pictures of your boobs to people irl you could page 80085(boobs) to their pager and it was much more cerebral and seductive

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Kansas City Royals posted:

before you could send pictures of your boobs to people irl you could page 80085(boobs) to their pager and it was much more cerebral and seductive

jesus man what a av

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

colbylol posted:

jesus man what a av

all the retro yospos-lite avs are really good

shame about the posts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pagers have advantages

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
no they will not lmbo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pagers own and are the professional's way to communicate while on the go.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Pagers should make a comeback. If I want to talk to someone, I will call them. This culture of assuming I can answer a page or text someone back immediately gratifying their desire to communicate is offensive and has ruined driving.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I had a pager until 2011 because I worked in a hospital. I assume they still use them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I had a pager until 2011 because I worked in a hospital. I assume they still use them.

They sure do. you can tune into them and watch an endless stream of room transfer and supply request pages with a $20 TV tuner stick from dealextreme.

(it's technically illegal as pagers have an implied assumption of privacy)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
ofc they will since technology is cyclical

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

They sure do. you can tune into them and watch an endless stream of room transfer and supply request pages with a $20 TV tuner stick from dealextreme.

(it's technically illegal as pagers have an implied assumption of privacy)

ahh yes, when privacy hinged on laws on what could be sold with access to what frequencies (MINUS 800MHZ BECAUSE CELLS etc labels on poo poo) instead of the brash reality of "yo maybe we should just encrypt this poo poo"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i had a set of walkie talkies as a kid that picked up the cordless phone sometimes :stonk:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Smythe posted:

i had a set of walkie talkies as a kid that picked up the cordless phone sometimes :stonk:

lol you had a 49mhz cordless phone, nub

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
900mhz digital spread spectrum AT&T brick phone for lyfe bitch. well, not for lyfe really. i mean i use my iphone 6 now and dont have a copper pair terminated nor a voip phone.

i just use my iphone. but if i did need a landline, i bet my old 900 mhz spread spectrum att cordless phone would still work just fine.

e: ahaha i found a picture of it online. this was from like late 90s.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 20, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Smythe posted:

remember those BEEP BOOP walkie talkie phones

black people in the south fuckin loved those things i never understood that

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you mean nextels?

they still have that service it's big in construction or at least was, i figure since providers still offer it there still must be a market.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
faaaaart

fart
fart
faart

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
*beep beep*

o p i s a f a g g o t 9 0 0 1 6 9 4 2 0

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I believe Nextel is now defunct. But the next service and accompanying Motorola handsets had a lot going for it:

1. Within a certain range of each other, using them as a walkie talkie was free. This was fairly invaluable for small businesses who didn't have money to fritter on walkie talkies or for smaller municipalities.

2. Motorola construction. I saw a guy accidentally run over his phone which slid off his seat, run directly over it with a backhoe. It worked fine and the screen was not even cracked. (The second time this happened his phone was hosed.)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
iDEN is also supposed to penetrate concrete structures better than CDMA or gsm or at least that's what a guy who sounded convincing said to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he means BOOST MOBILE WHERE U AT DAWG

chirp chirp

• Locked thread