Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Joan of York

"Drinking to relax, or to work up your nerve?", Joan asks as she steps up to Troy. She's on her suit on, which always sets her a little apart from the world around her... and speaks to her expecting trouble. Or bringing trouble. Probably both. After all, she doesn't sit or order a drink like a proper customer might, but just stands there with a straight face and an expectant look.

She's definitely packing the problems, but the goods? Not so much.

pre:
Joan of York

Traits				Skills

Agility d8			Fighting d8
Smarts d6			Notice d6
Spirit d8			Shooting d8
Strength d6			Survival d6
Vigor d6			Persuasion d8
				Throwing d6

Edges				Hindrances

Kung Fu: Resilient		Heroic
Martial Arts			Loyal
Operation Damocles Soldier	Major Vow: Damocles
Very Rich			Stubborn

Charisma: 0	Pace: 6		Parry: 6	Toughness: 11

Equipment: NA XM-21 (damaged), Infantry Battle Suit, Medchip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

"Going to be an awful long ball before I need to put away this dress.", Joan says dryly, taking up a chair. "The usual, you've still got people looking to bring outside problems inside every day. Just doing what I can to remind people where they're living. This used to be one of the safest cities in the nation, did you know that? Course, all the nice people were kind enough to die or make room for ganger assholes, so all that's left is to show the gangs how to be nice again. Or at least making sure they stay nice while they're here." She looks over, leaning on the counter. "Thankfully, some people appreciate that sort of work, even here. And a drink would be fine."

As the waster comes up, she folds her arms on the table as she leans on it, looking over, "Might want to start off making sure folks can read first, but what're you selling?" It's an honest assumption. Not many great American novelists without an America, after all.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

Peering at the piece of paper, Joan squints. "Huh. Sure.", she says, looking to the man a little skeptically. She then leans back, taking a sip, and makes a face. "Keep dreaming I'll run across a case of old Rose State IPA that hasn't skunked, but then I remember there's probably about a million zombies between me and the nearest bottle, or so I'm told."

She holds up the piece of paper in front of her face for a moment. "Hellstromme. War profiteers. So, uh, you know if he's decent besides that, or are we dealing with an old 'merchant of death'?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

"Sorry, don't mean to sound ungrateful, just... speaking faster than I'm thinking." Joan looks way before taking another sip. "I get by with a bit of scrap here, a favor or two here. Isn't right to take too much. Not supposed to take bribes." But her paychecks have suddenly become nonexistent, even if her mission hasn't. She takes the card, shrugging. "Not like I'm hard to notice in a crowd, and I imagine you aren't with your big red target on." As if she's one to talk.

"Anyway, I haven't really worked for groups with names or flags. People, sure, I'll do things to help out people, but anybody who starts putting people together under a banner is trouble more often than not.", Joan replies, focusing on Troy again. "Look, if I keep moaning, feel free to kick me in the rear end, I'm just a little... sour lately."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

Though she takes an MRE, Joan just sets it in front of herself, not eating just yet. It's not easy - she hasn't eaten for three days - but she's not inclined to take a handout per se without knowing what it's for. Looking to Ned, she clearly acknowledges him with a surprised look, but she doesn't have time to satisfy her curiosity at the moment.

She squints over to Taylor with some concern, and says, "That could be a suicide mission, if things are still bad down there. All it's going to take is one gas pocket or collapse, and worse if they were mucking about with machines or worms. Would it be possible to get radios? I know they aren't as reliable anymore, but if we're going down there, we can't be all bunched up and caught in some Mojave's maw, after all."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

Joan eyes Ronnie. She doesn't look thrilled for one reason or another, but just shakes her head. "I'd rather march than leave a kid walking.", she replies. "But we should see if we can get a vehicle loan first before we start calling shotgun." She looks curious at Troy's question, adding a questioning glance over to Ike. Taking up a citizenship in a secessionist city-state might complicate her position, even if she might be the only person left who cares.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

Joan makes a face. "You won't be running after.", she replies to Ronnie, shaking her head.

Looking to Ike, she seems to ponder for a moment, folding her hands. "And if-" Her "if" has more the tone of a "when". "- we run into Black Hats or other hostiles at the site, what would you like us to do?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

Joan takes a private moment to loosen her armor and take down an MRE. Savoring it is in vain, and it's gone in minutes. She puts the remainder in her pouches. Though she's still left wanting, she's used to rationing her food, these days, just in case.

Her time is mostly put into scraping by, trying to find bits of metal and other discarded junk on fringes she can trade for a few extra rounds, but a handful of can tabs and other assorted pieces just goes into a pocket, not being enough to trade without a dozen or so buddies just like it. With tired legs, she swallows her frustration and pulls out one of the MREs, eyeing it for a long moment before going down to the Market. She tries to work up the fire in her voice- she's going to see what ammo she can get with an MRE and a grumpy disposition. As the newer saying goes, teach a person to fish and feed them for a lifetime, teach a person to fish for bullets, and everybody will be fishing for them. Or something like that.

One thing she can count on is that Junkyard is always hungry, in any case.

Doing some simple scrounging, but a Notice check of 3 isn't going to help at all. But a Persuasion of 13 certainly isn't bad in terms of trying to trade a $20 MRE for 5.56 rounds, which usually go for $1-2 apiece in Junkyard.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

The leftover MRE and her score of bullets end up in pouches. Hopefully, both can be doled out over time, but a troubling feeling in her gut speaks against both counts. With that, she goes looking for Daniels; the tabard should help her ask after, and though Junkyard is big, it's not nearly as massive as the cities of her youth.

Then again, if she stumbles across Ironhead, she's got some choice questions for him, like "What the hell is a manitou?", but she's not in a rush. There'll be plenty of time on the road to catch up.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 14, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

The headman squinted at Joan, slamming his fist on the table. "Look, I hired you to help us fight the raiders! I don't need you to make up bizarre excuses-"

Joan had enough, and eyed the double-paned glass jar on the table, a beetlesque creature crawling inside. Even sealed from most sound, it's buzzing was poking at people's frayed tempers. She looked back to her compatriots in this endeavor. They had been hired to fight off raiders, to help train this village to use their guns, and eventually root out the threat. Turns out the threat they were looking for was actually contained in that glass jar at the moment. Well, one bug, anyway.

Her compatriot realized the thought going through her head. "That's- no, Joan- that's a bad idea-"

She cracked the lid anyway. The buzzing from within the jar was no longer masked, and pretty soon the room was filled with violence. It took twenty-one seconds to get the jar resealed, during which the headman had tried to strangle the life from her lieutenant, and Joan had taken a blow upside the head from some poor villager. People came as if out of a daze as soon as the insect's song was dampened again, terrified at their own actions. "This!", Joan shouted as her head swam. "These are what you need to seek out! We need to get together a hunting party - get some ear protection - and find these things. You're not fighting raiders! You're fighting your neighbors!"

If only they hadn't agreed to take most of their pay on scavenging whatever the "raiders" had. But the only way they were going to save both Holetown and what was left of Myers' Brick was by stopping the critters that were driving men mad. Oh, and they were probably going to get shot at by people that they couldn't just gun down in turn. And her suit meant she was going to be taking point. It would be a far better win in reuniting two communities. But it was also going to turn out to be a tremendous Pain In The rear end.

I'll tag Ned and Troy, it seems natural enough!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

"Of course, last I heard they were fighting over water.", Joan said, pausing as bump rattled her around for a moment. "But at least they weren't doing it with bullets, at least not yet. Still. You take what peace you can get for as long as you can get it these days." Looking out the window, she shakes her head as she leans her arm on the door. "Of course, was lucky enough to be able to hold it together when faced with those things. I was given training and weapons to fight off most yokels that'd take up violence after the fall, but all that isn't worth much if you can't keep your head on straight. Seen lots of people with everything they'd need to survive, except for whatever they have bundled up in their skulls."

She squints a little, looking at the passing terrain. "A lot of people say unkind things to me about still calling this land America, but it keeps me focused on how things could be. What things should be."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York
Bennies: 4

Riding shotgun, Joan apparently fell asleep slightly, but stirs as people start to chatter about Logan. She looks up, squinting before putting her hand to her brow to block out the sun. She pulls her rifle from the gutter between the seat and door "Would be just too much for a place that looks abandoned to be abandoned, wouldn't it?", she says dryly as she lets her hand sit by the safety... and then leans back a bit. She has to trust in being able to spot trouble, but there's no point being strung too tight every time danger might threaten. On this Earth, you'd end up panicking for the rest of your life.

Notice roll is a 3.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

"May want to make sure Logan is secure before we move on.", Joan comments as she rests her hands on her rifle. "Or at least not dangerous. Don't need anything at our back when we're looking into a snake hole, after all." There's a momentary tilt of her head to the others as if looking for like minds, but she seems pretty easygoing about it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

As the others move in, Joan steps up ahead with her rifle, as if to interpose herself between many of the others and a silence. Her training shouts at her to take more of a covering position, but she's the only one in a bullet-resistant suit. If anybody's going to take a hit, it may as well be her, and so she sweeps intersections ahead, at least being careful and mindful of cover as she goes.

Then, there's a frown to Daniels as he calls out. "You want them to find us first? Were you loving drinking while I was getting some shuteye?", she says, popping the safety on her rifle, finally. "If you want to get us in danger, at least stick out your neck first. rear end." She tenses as she moves, now practically expecting to notice movement in the ruins.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

To Troy, Joan says, "For the record, I'm not enjoying you being wrong!", before looking around quickly. Great. Smart dead. Well. Smart-ish. They still decided to gently caress with her, after all. Looking over to Ned, she raises a hand almost darts over towards him, but... he's dead. He can wait while she saw to the living.

Spirit is a 10 between a roll of 6 on the wild die and 4 on the reroll that I forgot to leave in!

"Take care of the shooters to the south side and use the car as cover!", she advises loudly to the others. "Troy! You take the left building to the and I'll..." She trails off as she rushes across the street, looking to just bust in through one of the windows if there's an opening. Time to close in to the shooters, take them off guard. After all, she has a the big suit of armor. Time to put it to use.

She's going to charge the building to the northeast and try and get in. If an Agility roll is necessary, she has a 5.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joan of York

Moving in, Joan moves fast- faster that one might expect for that armor. But as she moves in, there's more crap in the way, and she tries a quick move to try and knock one of the corpses' guns free... but she's sloppy, rushing through the motions. Hopefully, her foes were as creaky and dead as they looked, but... that would be conveniently simple.

Well, at least she has their attention.

Going in to try and disarm Z1 and uh, well, that's a 3. Maybe a bennie will help? The benny does not help, but it's used up anyway.

• Locked thread