Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Is there any likelihood if Israel doing another offensive over this, or can they even risk it what with the amount of negative exposure they got with the most recent one?

Probably not, if the attacks become more frequent things might change but the thing is that Israel really has no one to fight with in the West Bank it can't really stage another "Defensive Shield" if there is no significant armed resistance, not to mention that going on another large scale war is something Israel probably can't afford financially so soon after Protective Edge.

If things do escalate and mass riots erupt Israel will have to do things differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Can we keep the general I/P arguments to a minimum? I don't want the thread to shut down before anything really happens.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Probably not, if the attacks become more frequent things might change but the thing is that Israel really has no one to fight with in the West Bank it can't really stage another "Defensive Shield" if there is no significant armed resistance, not to mention that going on another large scale war is something Israel probably can't afford financially so soon after Protective Edge.

If things do escalate and mass riots erupt Israel will have to do things differently.

Between locking down Jerusalem from Muslims and the ongoing string of attacks, what do you think their response will be?

I'm hoping for just a lot of flag waving.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Just stop engaging MIGF please.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 19, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Based upon what evidence? Their words, their actions, their endorsements ring different. Hamas is a totalitarian facist organization and must be understood as such when formulating policy to deal with their terror attacks. The more they martyr, the stronger they become.

you're doing this karl rove thing where you project all the poo poo that your side is doing on to the side that you don't like and it's really dumb and gross and you should be ashamed of it, hope this helps!

e: I mean this whole loving is an ahistorical, completely contextless hypothetical how the gently caress do you get off asking for evidence of anything lmao

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Arguing about Hamas seems dumb when the recent attacks have been carried out by individuals. I guess the synagogue attack may be connected to the PFLP but I'm not totally convinced.

Israeli leadership can't just bomb Arab cities in Israel and claim victory now. I'm afraid that this is going to get much uglier before it gets better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Atrocious Joe posted:

Arguing about Hamas seems dumb when the recent attacks have been carried out by individuals. I guess the synagogue attack may be connected to the PFLP but I'm not totally convinced.

Israeli leadership can't just bomb Arab cities in Israel and claim victory now. I'm afraid that this is going to get much uglier before it gets better.

Here's hoping it doesn't, Bibi is pissed at countries recognizing Palestine, so he may be itchy enough to show his cards.

However, as long as he has the umbilical cord from the US attached :smith:

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Do people really think that if Israel become poorer then palestinians situation will improve?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
The PFLP? I thought they disbanded a few years ago. Weird. That said I hope Israel will act with restraint (yeah right) but certain Palestinian groups aren't doing themselves any favors with the victim blaming. Anyways, the balls in Israel's court to not retaliate.

Edit:

...and it looks like they demolished the perpetrators homes, way to gently caress it up Israel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nckdictator posted:

Edit:

...and it looks like they demolished the perpetrators homes, way to gently caress it up Israel.

Its like Hulk runs the Israeli Justice Ministry

Lady Morgaga posted:

Do people really think that if Israel become poorer then palestinians situation will improve?

No, more the world scowling at Israel might show that we don't actually think they are as superior as they think they are. But its never going to happen as long as the US is around.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

No, more the world scowling at Israel might show that we don't actually think they are as superior as they think they are. But its never going to happen as long as the US is around.

What "world scowling at Israel" even means?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If it's the PFLP, this might turn interesting, I thought they were as good as done. West Bank unrest has always been more difficult for Israel to deal with because it's impossible to claim self-defense when you're openly and actively stealing resources and because of the amount of civilians present. Knife and car attacks are also virtually unpreventable in comparison to rockets - have they been used previously or is it a new tactic?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lady Morgaga posted:

What "world scowling at Israel" even means?

Actually showing disapproval for their actions.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Can we keep the general I/P arguments to a minimum? I don't want the thread to shut down before anything really happens.
Same. The last thread was at its "best" when it was literally just liveposting/a livestream (of horror). Turns out a lot of arguments tend to evaporate when everyone is just sitting there watching a livestream of Gaza in horror, waiting for the next round of death to come.
:smith:

Atrocious Joe posted:

Ah, there's that sense of crushing sadness I only really get when reading I/P.:smith:

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Actually showing disapproval for their actions.
World is showing disapproval for their actions for decades.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

My Imaginary GF posted:

If Israel wanted to, Israel has the ability to genocide all Palestinians. Hamas does not have the ability to genocide all Israelis, and it wants to.

Israel lacks the military capacity nor the diplomatic clout to systemically kill 4 million people. Stop assuming the IDF is competent.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Job Truniht posted:

Israel lacks the military capacity nor the diplomatic clout to systemically kill 4 million people. Stop assuming the IDF is competent.

And if they had either or both Palestine would be a charnel house before you could say "war crimes".

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Im sorry for my dumb question, but has anyone wrongfully arrested during Israel's initial investigation of their missing/dead hitchhikers been released? I cant find any articles with an update either way, and I remember last time it was brought up they were still imprisoned.

Also, is there ever any legal recourse if a home of an innocent suspect, or an arrestee's relative's house, is wrongfully demolished?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

And if they had either or both Palestine would be a charnel house before you could say "war crimes".

They have both, for the time the cost is too high. The continuation of Palestinian attacks enhances the cycle of demonization and creates an outlet for anger on both sides. Israel's leaders are willing to step up and say, "Attacks on holy sites are wrong, no if ands or buts."

I fail to see any Palestinian political organization coming out with such statements.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My Imaginary GF posted:

They have both,

Look at you. Look at how wrong you are.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
MY imaginary GF is petite (small but well-formed tits), blonde, and loving loves palestine. She volunteered over there once because she's a badass doctor. Someone get this imposter out of here >:[

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

They have both, for the time the cost is too high. The continuation of Palestinian attacks enhances the cycle of demonization and creates an outlet for anger on both sides. Israel's leaders are willing to step up and say, "Attacks on holy sites are wrong, no if ands or buts."

I fail to see any Palestinian political organization coming out with such statements.

Nobody engage MIGF please.

tentative8e8op posted:

Im sorry for my dumb question, but has anyone wrongfully arrested during Israel's initial investigation of their missing/dead hitchhikers been released? I cant find any articles with an update either way, and I remember last time it was brought up they were still imprisoned.

Also, is there ever any legal recourse if a home of an innocent suspect, or an arrestee's relative's house, is wrongfully demolished?

The Israeli's tend to hold onto prisoners they arrest, and in most cases if the house is not demolished, its taken by a local family.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Nobody engage MIGF please.

The Israeli's tend to hold onto prisoners they arrest, and in most cases if the house is not demolished, its taken by a local family.

Prisoners and members of organizations which Israel releases have a tendancy to go on to commit terrorist attacks and take Jews hostage.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Lady Morgaga posted:

World is showing disapproval for their actions for decades.
This latest round might be a little more interesting since Israel-US relations are still a little strained from last time. Obama and Bibi hate each other, and the longer Israel expects America to cover for it, the more strained this relationship gets.

Really, as soon as the US stops unconditionally supporting Israel, that's pretty much it for Israel being able to do whatever the hell the want. (It's probably still going to take far too long for this to happen.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Prisoners and members of organizations which Israel releases have a tendancy to go on to commit terrorist attacks and take Jews hostage.

Nuke Iran amirite?

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_shield#Israeli-Palestinian_conflict

Stop posting in here, please.

fade5 posted:

Really, as soon as the US stops unconditionally supporting Israel, that's pretty much it for Israel being able to do whatever the hell the want. (It's probably still going to take far too long for this to happen.)

And it will probably never happen...

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fade5 posted:

Enter Russia and China unconditionally supporting Israel, in exchange for precise monetary conditions.

Would you really like to see Israel have "no connection to the actions of the West Bank Sepratists in the People's Republic of Palestine"?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel's leaders are willing to step up and say, "Attacks on holy sites are wrong, no if ands or buts."

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/news/middle-east/13229-israel-bombed-161-mosques-in-gaza

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

My Imaginary GF posted:

They have both, for the time the cost is too high.

You misunderstood what I said. Israel can't because their military capabilities are extremely limited. They lack the resources to completely occupy Gaza or invade southern Lebanon. Both Hamas and Hezbollah have the means of preventing Israel from ever entering a protracted engagement and occupation- a prerequisite for any ambitions of genocide.

My Imaginary GF posted:

The continuation of Palestinian attacks enhances the cycle of demonization and creates an outlet for anger on both sides. Israel's leaders are willing to step up and say, "Attacks on holy sites are wrong, no if ands or buts."

How many mosques and churches did Israel bomb in the Gaza strip, or did those not count as holy sites?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
CommieGIR, please stop making GBS threads up the thread; MIGF is the best poster in here.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Job Truniht posted:

You misunderstood what I said. Israel can't because their military capabilities are extremely limited. They lack the resources to completely occupy Gaza or invade southern Lebanon. Both Hamas and Hezbollah have the means of preventing Israel from ever entering a protracted engagement and occupation- a prerequisite for any ambitions of genocide.

How many mosques and churches did Israel bomb in the Gaza strip, or did those not count as holy sites?

A mosque with a weapons cache is defiled ground, and not a holy site.

Who needs to occupy, if the situation deteriorates to the point where chemical weapon use is authorized?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Who needs to occupy, if the situation deteriorates to the point where chemical weapon use is authorized?

But 161 of them? And Hospitals? And bomb shelters?

And, well....jeeze, EVERYTHING.

Baloogan posted:

CommieGIR, please stop making GBS threads up the thread; MIGF is the best poster in here.

:v:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Imaginary GF posted:

Enter Russia and China unconditionally supporting Israel, in exchange for precise monetary conditions.

Would you really like to see Israel have "no connection to the actions of the West Bank Sepratists in the People's Republic of Palestine"?

Russia and China both recognize Palestine and have been cultivating relations with Arab and Muslim nations since the Cold War, not going to happen. United States supports Israel only because it's internal demographics and lobbying, there is no military or economic reason or advantage to gain from supporting Israel.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unless all of them had weapons caches, your initial statement was false. Accept that.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

But 161 of them? And Hospitals? And bomb shelters?

And, well....jeeze, EVERYTHING.

:v:

Yes, 161 of them. It certainly seems like there is a trend where Israel will attack any weapons cache brought to its attention, therefore Hamas creates weapons caches and launch targets around points with pre-positioned recording for propaganda purposes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, 161 of them. It certainly seems like there is a trend where Israel will attack any weapons cache brought to its attention, therefore Hamas creates weapons caches and launch targets around points with pre-positioned recording for propaganda purposes.

Oh shut up, your hypocrisy is showing.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, 161 of them.

False statement with no proof.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Look at this shithead's 'contributions': http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682289&userid=102030

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Oh shut up, your hypocrisy is showing.

Others in the region get to use chemical weapons without losing foreign support; why can't Israel?
-- an argument I anticipate to be used in serious policy discussions within a decade

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
This thread is somehow worse than the last 2 already. Next person who posts on a topic that's not Israel gets probated for a week.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Job Truniht posted:

I'm surprised this is controversial. Considering all the examples we have from history, I thought it was obvious that ethnic cleansing is relatively easy even for modestly organized groups. Israel has a large military and the advantage of short lines of supply.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Others in the region get to use chemical weapons without losing foreign support; why can't Israel?
-- an argument I anticipate to be used in serious policy discussions within a decade

Its okay, you already cleared Israel for preemptive nuclear strikes on their neighbors, I'm sure you'll sign off on this one.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, 161 of them.

Yeah, the rest of them the Israeli's just take and give to settlers so they can pilfer them.

DarkCrawler posted:

Russia and China both recognize Palestine and have been cultivating relations with Arab and Muslim nations since the Cold War, not going to happen. United States supports Israel only because it's internal demographics and lobbying, there is no military or economic reason or advantage to gain from supporting Israel.

I never thought of it this way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/features/jews-just-like-arabs-hid-weapons-in-immoral-places-1.339432

the only moral terrorism is my terrorism

• Locked thread