Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

My Imaginary GF posted:

A mosque with a weapons cache is defiled ground, and not a holy site.

And a country with nothing but soldiers and guns is a valid military target. You're just blowing smoke and moving goalposts.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Who needs to occupy, if the situation deteriorates to the point where chemical weapon use is authorized?

What chemical weapons are you talking about? The ones they're not supposed to have?

Dilkington posted:

I'm surprised this is controversial. Considering all the examples we have from history, I thought it was obvious that ethnic cleansing is relatively easy even for modestly organized groups. Israel has a large military and the advantage of short lines of supply.

Anyone who has paid attention to Israel's military adventures since ~2000 knows they were holding back. There is no such thing as a "limited military response" to the IDF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Palestinians themselves are a weapon just by existing. Even palestinian reproduction is a threat to Israel, as the phrase "demographic bomb" illustrates. Seen in this light, the West Bank and Gaza Strip are weapons caches that will will be inevitably used against Israel. In order to secure a future for the sole outpost of democracy in the Mideast and protector of Judaism worldwide, these threats have to extinguished. Sites that cater to these weaponized populations should also be treated as dangerous to rational, civilized people.
:pseudo:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dilkington posted:

I'm surprised this is controversial. Considering all the examples we have from history, I thought it was obvious that ethnic cleansing is relatively easy even for modestly organized groups. Israel has a large military and the advantage of short lines of supply.

Israel is a first world state who is protected by United States, in the age of 24/7 news networks in one of the most followed regions in the world. They can't actually engage in genocide without a massive economic and military backlash that would destroy them as a functional state and have no reason for doing such a suicidal maneuver. Anyone who thinks that is something that would happen doesn't know anything about the conflict or the international realities involved. Engaging in some fantasy where Israel kills just because it wants to kill doesn't do good for anybody.

Back on the topic:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel's leaders are willing to step up and say, "Attacks on holy sites are wrong, no if ands or buts."

I fail to see any Palestinian political organization coming out with such statements.

quote:

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas also issued a condemnation of "the attack on Jewish worshippers in their place of prayer and [of] the killing of civilians no matter who is doing it".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30107446

Spain will also possibly recognize Palestine:
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/11/spanish-mps-call-recognising-palestine-20141118211738704786.html

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 19, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DarkCrawler posted:

Israel is a first world state who is protected by United States, in the age of 24/7 news networks in one of the most followed regions in the world. They can't actually engage in genocide without a massive economic and military backlash that would destroy them as a functional state and have no reason for doing such a suicidal maneuver. Anyone who thinks that is something that would happen doesn't know anything about the conflict or the international realities involved. Engaging in some fantasy where Israel kills just because it wants to kill doesn't do good for anybody.

Back on the topic:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30107446

quote:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel has repeatedly said he will not alter the status quo at the site, where non-Muslims are allowed to visit but not openly pray. Even so, President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority has called on Palestinians to protect the area and has warned of a “holy war” if it is “contaminated” by Jews.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/world/middleeast/killings-in-jerusalem-synagogue-complex.html?referrer=&_r=0

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
So I'm wondering, will these random, spontaneous actions start coalescing into an organized movement or stay dispersed? I mean it seems like an obvious outgrowth of intense dissatisfaction with Abbas, are there any chance to see another Hamas like organization spring up as a more radical large scale alternative to the PLO and Hamas that has become slightly tempered with authority?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

So I'm wondering, will these random, spontaneous actions start coalescing into an organized movement or stay dispersed? I mean it seems like an obvious outgrowth of intense dissatisfaction with Abbas, are there any chance to see another Hamas like organization spring up as a more radical large scale alternative to the PLO and Hamas that has become slightly tempered with authority?

It will be a hybrid of the two: sporatic, spontaneous actions--with no pattern or predictability other than being carried out by Arabs against Israelis--will occur in Israel in conjunction with more organized attacks meant to provoke more spontaneous attacks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh my god that loving article:

quote:

“To see Jews wearing tefillin and wrapped in the tallit lying in pools of blood, I wondered if I was imagining scenes from the Holocaust,”

My Imaginary GF posted:

It will be a hybrid of the two: sporatic, spontaneous actions--with no pattern or predictability other than being carried out by Arabs against Israelis--will occur in Israel in conjunction with more organized attacks meant to provoke more spontaneous attacks.

Nope, nothing to do with expanding settlements and the continuing embargo and NOW the ban on Muslims at Islamic holy sites in Jerusalem. Nope. Nothing to do with that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nothing to do with what you asked for. Statements were made, if he doesn't hold to them in reality any more the Israel does, that's not my problem :shrug:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DarkCrawler posted:

Nothing to do with what you asked for. Statements were made, if he doesn't hold to them in reality any more the Israel does, that's not my problem :shrug:

If you cannot see the context with Jewish presence at the temple mount being a "contamination" of the site in the eyes of Arabs, I cannot help you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you cannot see the context with Jewish presence at the temple mount being a "contamination" of the site, I cannot help you.

They are talking about this, you moron:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosque_of_Omar_(Jerusalem)

Which they are now restricted from going to. Its not just Jewish Holy sites, they are not the only ones that consider that place holy. And considering the legacy that the Israeli government has for letting Jewish settlers strip mosques and use them as clubs, I'd be kinda irked too.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

e: nvm

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you cannot see the context with Jewish presence at the temple mount being a "contamination" of the site in the eyes of Arabs, I cannot help you.

You literally asked for a Palestinian leader condemning the attacks, and when you received an example you responded with something that is totally irrelevant. Are you saying that the BBC is lying and that Abbas did not actually issue that statement?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you want to change topic to something else, I cannot help you either. If you want to discuss about the rhetoric used instead of what is actually happening, I'm sure there are people here willing to engage you in that.

Edit: Street battles and unrest in both Jerusalem and West Bank:
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/11/palestinians-suffer-israeli-settler-reprisals-20141118185543648426.html

Apparently a mob is preventing them from demolishing the attacker 's homes.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 19, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

My Imaginary GF posted:

My Imaginary GF posted:

quote:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel has repeatedly said he will not alter the status quo at the site, where non-Muslims are allowed to visit but not openly pray. Even so, President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority has called on Palestinians to protect the area and has warned of a “holy war” if it is “contaminated” by Jews.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/world/middleeast/killings-in-jerusalem-synagogue-complex.html?referrer=&_r=0

I realize this would put me on the super fringe in Israel (since most Jews think it'd be profane to pray at the site), but as a not particularly religious Jew, I sort of feel like if someone wants to pray there, they should let them, regardless of their religion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

Edit: Street battles and unrest in both Jerusalem and West Bank:
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/11/palestinians-suffer-israeli-settler-reprisals-20141118185543648426.html

Apparently a mob is preventing them from demolishing the attacker 's homes.

Out comes the super-armored Caterpillars

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

CommieGIR posted:

Out comes the super-armored Caterpillars

Hope no one gets run over. I'm totally against demolishing homes, it feels so childish, but this probably isn't the best case to make a stand on it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Petty collective punishment in East Jerusalem:
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/11/east-jerusalem-under-collective-punishment-2014111682924491709.html
http://www.btselem.org/jerusalem/20141105_draconian_steps_in_jerusalem

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Xandu posted:

Hope no one gets run over. I'm totally against demolishing homes, it feels so childish, but this probably isn't the best case to make a stand on it.

Me too, but considering the demolishing homes has become a tradition, so has the demonstrations.

Libertarians would approve.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 19, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I realize this would put me on the super fringe in Israel (since most Jews think it'd be profane to pray at the site), but as a not particularly religious Jew, I sort of feel like if someone wants to pray there, they should let them, regardless of their religion.
[/quote]

I agree that individuals should have the right to pray in a respectful and dignified manner at the sites historically considered holy under their established religion, without being seen as improper by others at similar sites. Unfortunately, both sides have been demonized to the point where stated-enforced segregation is becoming a necessity; its a viscious cycle, as segregation begets dehumanization begets terrorism begets extreme retaliation begets segregation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

I agree that individuals should have the right to pray in a respectful and dignified manner at the sites historically considered holy under their established religion, without being seen as improper by others at similar sites. Unfortunately, both sides have been demonized to the point where stated-enforced segregation is becoming a necessity; its a viscious cycle, as segregation begets dehumanization begets terrorism begets extreme retaliation begets segregation.

Its almost as if being an oppressive apartheid state has issues :ohdear:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

CommieGIR posted:

If we stop oppressing them they might retaliate.

Better keep oppressing them then.

Most moral X in the world.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Use a definition of "oppressive apartheid state" which is narrow enough to not apply to all states in the region yet broad enough to not be reduced to 'because Jews.'

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
and you are lynching negroes

if you're going for "Israel is slightly more moral than dictatorships", good job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Use a definition of "oppressive apartheid state" which is narrow enough to not apply to all states in the region yet broad enough to not be reduced to 'because Jews.'

The dog whistle anti-sematism suggestion is really getting old. But they are an oppressive apartheid colonial power, not it has nothing to do with their religion, but they sure do love using their religion as a bat over everyone's heads whenever criticized.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 19, 2014

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Is not compatible with:

My Imaginary GF posted:

What you just called for in your post was an apartheid state, even if you fail to realize that.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

This is an invalid line of defense because Israel claims to be a beacon of democracy and human rights in a sea of barbarism. Enlightened democracies have certain standards of behavior towards people who live in lands they claim sovereignty over, and Israel does not meet these standards. If we judge Israel by the same standards we apply to other states in the region, then Israel loses it's position of moral superiority that is so fundamental to their national ethos.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Imaginary GF posted:

Many states in the region are apartheid states or religiously oppressive to the point that the same end result is true. Many don't have specific laws but the populace is so lovely that you don't want to live there regardless if you're different. Is this news to you?

Israel is an apartheid state. The existence of other apartheid states or other forms of oppression does not invalidate that fact.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

I don't see how anyone can unironically believe that forced segregation is legitimate means for stability and simultaneously believe Israel is also negotiating in good faith.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Apparently crowds are gathering in Jerusalem calling for war. It doesn't even take guns or a car to start a war any more, I guess you can do it with an axe and a knife. Soon enough Israel will be declaring little wars for slipping on a banana peel. *slide whistle noise*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Job Truniht posted:

I don't see how anyone can unironically believe that forced segregation is legitimate means for stability and simultaneously believe Israel is also negotiating in good faith.

Well, the American South did :911:

SedanChair posted:

Apparently crowds are gathering in Jerusalem calling for war. It doesn't even take guns or a car to start a war any more, I guess you can do it with an axe and a knife. Soon enough Israel will be declaring little wars for slipping on a banana peel. *slide whistle noise*

Oh boy...I bet the neighbors are already setting up the couches to watch the bombing campaigns.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CommieGIR posted:

Well, the American South did :911:

America in general really.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah the old "Israel isn't literally South Africa so it can't described as an apartheid state and therefore has never done anything wrong" line of reasoning.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Xandu posted:

Agreed. I realize how much history and hatred there is, but I still can't wrap my head around the idea that sects/religions of all stripes can't just go pray at [x] place peacefully. There are so many religious places located in Israel/Palestine that are super loving important to basically every sect of Christianity/Judaism/Islam that sharing them is basically required (and when they're not shared, people get justifiably pissed when they're told they can't pray at a site they consider really important to them.)

Related, let me just say this flat out so there's no word-twisting: Killing 4 5 people while they're praying is loving grotesque. It's horrible when Palestinians do it, it's horrible when Israelis do it, it's horrible when some white supremacist assholes in Alabama do it, it's horrible when some stupid motherfucker does it in a Kansas Church, it's horrible period.

Regardless of how much the Palestinian anger is justified, going into a synagogue and knifing/shooting a bunch of people praying is completely horrible and unacceptable. I legit had to turn off Al-Jazeera when they were showing the inside of the synagogue and the blood-stained books.:smith:

SedanChair posted:

Oh, loving hell. Here we go again.:suicide:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 19, 2014

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
This attack wasn't about settlements. East Jerusalem residents, spurred by nationalism, murdered West Jerusalem residents in cold blood. Not only does it serve no functional end, it's likely that a lot of Palestinians will die in retaliation, and the homes of the alleged murderers will be demolished. Defending/apologizing for this is ghastly, and it's hypocritical too for the subset of those people who rightly complain when Israel is in the wrong.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ah the old "Israel isn't literally South Africa so it can't described as an apartheid state and therefore has never done anything wrong" line of reasoning.

Israel does plenty of wrong. Nation-states exist to deprive individuals of absolute liberty, for absolute liberty is anarchy. The question is, why is Israel held to a higher standard in its wrongs than other states in the world, much less the region?

E:

Kim Jong Il posted:

This attack wasn't about settlements. East Jerusalem residents, spurred by nationalism, murdered West Jerusalem residents in cold blood. Not only does it serve no functional end, it's likely that a lot of Palestinians will die in retaliation, and the homes of the alleged murderers will be demolished. Defending/apologizing for this is ghastly, and it's hypocritical too for the subset of those people who rightly complain when Israel is in the wrong.

The appropriate response.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel does plenty of wrong. Nation-states exist to deprive individuals of absolute liberty, for absolute liberty is anarchy. The question is, why is Israel held to a higher standard in its wrongs than other states in the world, much less the region?

what

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

That is very bad reasoning.

quote:

You already sold yourself down the river.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Yes, the attacks were wrong. Yes, they were ghastly. The head of the Palestinian government has already denounced the attacks.

But, yes, I feel like the Israel's oppressive actions play some part in it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 19, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because we give them a gently caress ton of aid

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

and really, why should we hold the self-proclaimed only democracy in the middle east, the defender of the principles of tolerance and liberty, to a higher standard than, say, bahrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

That is very bad reasoning.

Are you saying that if Israeli authorities allowed everyone in Israel free access to the temple mount, it wouldn't result in a lot of blood spilled?

• Locked thread