Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/11/13/want-to-boost-your-brain-power-a-new-study-says-video-games-are-the-answer/

quote:

Remember when you told your kids that spending too much time playing video games would make them lazy?

(Courtesy of Activision)
Now there's a perfect comeback: Playing video games can actually make you smarter.

Really. According to a study published this month in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, playing fast-paced action video games can make someone a better learner.

People who play games such as "Call of Duty" are better able to multitask, perform cognitive tasks such as rotating objects in their minds, and focus and retain information than non-players, Daphne Bavelier, a research professor in brain and cognitive sciences at both the University of Rochester and the University of Geneva, told Bloomberg News. They even have better vision, she said.

How is that possible? It comes down to our brain's ability to model the future.

"Our brains keep predicting what will come next — whether when listening to a conversation, driving, or even preforming surgery," Bavelier said in a news release. “In order to sharpen its prediction skills, our brains constantly build models, or ‘templates,’ of the world. The better the template, the better the performance. And now we know playing action video game actually fosters better templates."

To measure the the effects of game playing, Bavelier's research team paid a group of college students $8 an hour to play video games for 50 hours over a nine-week span. They played two contrasting types of games, according to the study: ones with lots of action ("Call of Duty 2" and "Unreal Tournament 2004"), and ones with minimal action ("The Sims 2" and "Restaurant Empire").

Key for researchers, according to the news release, was determining how quickly action video game players were able to build and refine templates compared to people playing the slower video games. Not only were they able to build templates more quickly, according to researchers, but they were able to do it while they were engaged in another activity.

“When they began the perceptual learning task, action video gamers were indistinguishable from non-action gamers; they didn’t come to the task with a better template,” said Bavelier. “Instead, they developed better templates for the task, much, much faster showing an accelerated learning curve.”

After training ended, researchers revealed, the action video game players didn't immediately lose their new-found abilities. Tested a year later, "they still outperformed other participants, suggesting that they retained their ability to build better templates."

So how did they do it?

“The brain has not just one neuron, but networks of neurons talking to each other,” Bavelier told Bloomberg. “During the task, they were changing their connectivity on the fly to match the task at hand. They knew what was important to pay attention to and what was noise and distraction, and they could suppress distractions.”

The study was funded by the Office of Naval Research, the Swiss National Foundation, the Human Frontier Science Program and the National Eye Institute.

Bavelier's research uses video games to explore how people learn and how the brain adapts to changes in experience, according to her TED bio. Her laboratory uses a multidisciplinary approach and studies behavior, brain imaging, eye tracking and vital statistics to see how individuals learn and adapt to changes in experience, such as playing video games.

Bavelier, by the way, told Bloomberg that the findings of her video game research shouldn't be an excuse to lounge in front of a screen and avoid homework.

“This is no excuse for binging,” she said. “We know that kids who spend a lot of time on computers do less well at school. If you spend too much time on this new media, you spend less time on homework and you will do less well.”

For more information on Bavelier and her research involving video games, check out her TED talk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
tl;dr

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

check out her TED talk:
lmao

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

that was the only part I read while copying it all because it was the very last bit and I had to laugh at that

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If this is true, then why am I retarded?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Thanks! Gonna fwd this to my parents tagged with a big, fat "I told you so!"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
From cracking the watergate scandal to videogame articles, I present to you the Washington Post

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

see mom, i dropped out BECAUSE you took away the playstation.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

the sims is for dumb people and call of duty is for smart people

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

thank you daphne bavelier, even though you're not hot at all

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
Video games made me smarter because it made me realize how little I care about people.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
"Video games help puzzle solving, pattern recognition and timing skills, all vitally necessary to play more videogames."

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
really

MAKES

YOU

THINK

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Spanish Manlove is there an article that says Pokemon Cards are a sound financial investment? Asking for a friend.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

im a gosh darn genius

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
filed this into my "gently caress you mom and dad" folder

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

my donkey kong skillz got me into MENSA

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ive always felt this. My parents never played video games are used any graphic interface of any kind and they are absolutely retarded when it comes to technology.

Its as if they can't learn. I'm amazed by it.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I can navigate dungeons like a sumbitch.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

i played dota and now im better at clickin g on little guys until they fall down

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah, there's a bunch of small skills you can train with videogames. still not a viable alternative to actual thorough training of something, unless there's a huge breakthrough in edutainment

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

quakster posted:

yeah, there's a bunch of small skills you can train with videogames. still not a viable alternative to actual thorough training of something, unless there's a huge breakthrough in edutainment

Papers, Please is great for training the next generation of heartless bureaucrats.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Play Factorio and you too can be a process engineer.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

according to the article if you play call of duty enough you can rotate objects in your mind. this truly is the future

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ive played millions of hours of video games and now i can conjure boobs or guns in my minds eye and rotate them to my hearts content

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

ive played millions of hours of video games and now i can conjure boobs or guns in my minds eye and rotate them to my hearts content

But what about jiggle physics though!?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

But what about jiggle physics though!?
i can differentiate between different jiggle physics, even

gently caress doa

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

as a video gamer, i can instanty tell the difference between a pair of boobs rendered with ssao and one rendered without

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
there is something very important missing, because most of that info is pretty vanilla.

it doesn't help if you suck rear end at fps's and never get better.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i like the genre of fiction where everyone is playing mmos 24/7. its like if a kid wrote lotr fanfiction without exposure to actual fantasy, just wow. it was popular in korea for a while. will it spawn the next hunger games in the west? time will tell

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

quakster posted:

i like the genre of fiction where everyone is playing mmos 24/7. its like if a kid wrote lotr fanfiction without exposure to actual fantasy, just wow. it was popular in korea for a while. will it spawn the next hunger games in the west? time will tell

if i could play eve online for a living i would

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

1gnoirents posted:

if i could play eve online for a living i would

You can though. It's as tedious and time consuming as a real job, but it is hypothetically possible.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
you should

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

quote:

To measure the the effects of game playing, Bavelier's research team paid a group of college students $8 an hour to play video games for 50 hours over a nine-week span. They played two contrasting types of games, according to the study: ones with lots of action ("Call of Duty 2" and "Unreal Tournament 2004"), and ones with minimal action ("The Sims 2" and "Restaurant Empire").

Key for researchers, according to the news release, was determining how quickly action video game players were able to build and refine templates compared to people playing the slower video games. Not only were they able to build templates more quickly, according to researchers, but they were able to do it while they were engaged in another activity.
so if you are playing something that isn't Call of Duty you are literally a scrub wasting valuable brain training time.

did activision sponsor this study or what

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
people often comment on my immense typing speed and volume. i type so fast and so loud that everyone in the room im currently dominating has to stop what they are doing and gaze upon my wicked digits. my secret? battle.net

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Isn't this why we have the "I read some article" tag?

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
All this minecraft has prepared me for a long and fruitful career as an autistic person.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i am a master of tactics from war craft II

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Portal 2 was also shown to be better than Luminosity at whatever it claims to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
FYI I would much rather have a GBS with actual news article threads than a thousand threads of i'm gay and cuck emptyquotes

• Locked thread