Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

are thye smart because they played video games or do they play video games because theyre smart? think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
the guy who made a an oculus game that hooks up to0 a jerk-off machine.....................smartest man of all?? YOU the veiwers decide!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

CrashCat posted:

so if you are playing something that isn't Call of Duty you are literally a scrub wasting valuable brain training time.

did activision sponsor this study or what
Nah it makes sense, they basically had competitive games vs games for bored housewives. Casual games don't really make you learn or practice anything but anything involving competing with other players is going to force you to get some pattern recognition skills and the ability to analyze a situation spatially and extrapolate possible developments based on what choices you and the people you're playing with make.

If you picked non action but still notoriously hard games like turn based strategy games or whatever, you'd probably still be able to measure some improvement certain cognitive abilities. Chess is a really obvious example and there's already a lot of studies linking it to being smarter in various ways.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Ghaz posted:

are thye smart because they played video games or do they play video games because theyre smart? think about it

good point here

• Locked thread