Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Lutwidge Aspen FP 3/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Lutwidge walks up on the deck with just the barest hint of a swagger, waves, and notices the secured and surrendered Tager captain. And he smiles at him in a way that says "I'm going to enjoy vivisecting you~!" with a pat on the head. Then he calls out to the team.

"Hey everybody! This is Bei and this is Tai, and I think they've agreed to help out for our cases! Let's stuff the big guy captain in a shipping container...or just let me have him! I promise I'll give him back with all the pieces still there..." He giggles mischievously as he makes a pretend cutting motion on his arm. "Actually, somebody want to come down with me to look at the Tager eggs? I'll bet seeing these things in their larval form will be absolutely fascinating. You two can come as well!" He magnanimously points to the two Tagers beside him. "And I guess we need to get samples...er, clean up some of the biological contamination. Lock some of these things down before we arrive in Thailand. Uh, anything for me up here?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Zhao emits a dangerous rumbling noise when Lutwidge makes his comments. Tai slow blinks, and turns to Bei.

"You trust this guy? He's, like, certifiably crazy. At least we know who Bass is!"

Bei mumbles something under his breath.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 10, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Amaryllis Armitage
Fate Points: 5 / 5 | Mental Stress: 1 / 4 | Consequences: Bruised Ribs (minor)

"Well, sure as heck isn't gonna be you that kills me, Cap'n Creepy.", Amaryllis Armitage steps back. With an imperious sweep of her hand, she speaks loudly, her voice more certain and with her accent dampened.

"The cold gate falls shut-"
"The stark light is shadowed-"
"The guardian emerges from the gulfs-"

"BIND THE UNKNOWN!"

With that, there's a red flare and a strange-angled shape with a glowing red circle around the captain. An Elder Sign? Perhaps, but whatever her magic, it closes on him for a moment, folding to his skin. A binding spell, like those used to hold creatures from beyond this world, primitive, learned before the days of occult science. It won't bind the captain's human side, but hopefully should make it more difficult for him to take on his tager form.

Dusting off her hands, she looks over her shoulder to Lutwidge. "Hey, you're sure we can trust these two? They were involved in causin' this whole mess, y'know."

Rolled a 6 to do the binding, which I'll upgrade to an 8 through invoking Mahou Shoujo no Nyaruratohotepu and spending a Fate Point.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Raspers
FP 2/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOO

Well, that seemed to be that. With Amaryllis putting the mojo on the Captain, and the other two less captives and more "Lutwidge's Groupies", there wasn't much for Jed to do on deck, so he headed to the galley. Straight to the freezer to get a chunk of meat. Didn't care what kind, didn't care how it was cut, Jed's undead body could heal itself, but it needed meat to do so.

Putting the slab of meat on the stove, Jed reached into his coat pocket for a still soggy little bundle of plastic and paper, and poked through a wet mess of paper and tobacco, trying to find something salvageable. Poking at the pile with his fingers, Jed finds a small bit of dryish ragweed, and after it and some paper warmed up, Jed rolled himself up a makeshift smoke. With the meat close to gnawable, Jed took a few bites, then lit up his smoke and puffed up.

For a dead man, pleasures were few. One was a bellyful of meat. Another was hot smoke in the lungs, helped warm you up, helped you forget you were a hosed up zombie, made it easy to pretend you were normal - alive, even.

Jed held the smoke as he gnawed, and felt his bones start to knit back together. Sometimes, life was good.

Rolling Catalyze to start healing. Result is 3, so Jed can get rid of his broken bones, he is on On The Mend.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The bindings work! There's a flash of deep crimson, a whisper of piping... and the spell hols. Zhao tries to make one of his signature "I'm totally going to kill you" growls, but there's no bite to it. He's stuck, and he knows it. Looks like Amaryllis did it With Style!

Tai and Bei watch the ritual with wide eyes, and when Amaryllis queries Lutwidge on their trustworthiness, they just silently not and make hand gestures that amount to "we're harmless, honest!" They're not going to be any trouble.

We're moving on to the next scene soon - ready up!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 5/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Arthur figures someone has to hail the crazy pilot and let them know that they're plus one boat, so he opens up his comms and hails the pilot.

"Hey, uh. There's a lot of stuff we need to clear out of this boat. Ritual sites need to be looked over, some serious contraband needs to be examined. Y'know, classic Miskie paperwork after the dust has settled. We should get this hunk of junk into the port easy enough."

Speaking of, Arthur should -really- look into those engines. Looks like Amy has the captain tied up enough, and the lackies look like they're gonna follow Jake and Lutwidge. No need to deal with them - he gives them passing nod. He also waves at Spacecrab.

"When you're done, you wanna get up to the bridge and start getting us into port? Misk Thailand shouldn't be far from here. I'll make sure the engines are good and ready to roll.

He heads through the galley, waving at Jed raiding the fridge as he snags something he didn't notice on his first run through - a coffee pot. Instant coffee is better than nothing.

"I'm gonna need this. You'll know why in a second."

Going down to the Engine Room, his suit flickers back to life, scanning the engines. "Needed Maitenance?" Let's fix that. He cracks his knuckles, and finds a place to set the coffee pot.

Mechanical Engineering! - 8! Pretty sure that's a Success With Style, let's go with "Turbo-Charged By Coffee!"

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

spacecrab
Fate Points: 2/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

spacecrab confirms the order and dashes to Captain Von Tagerdragons quarters to nab himself a spare fancy hat, you must have a fancy hat to pilot a boat, it is in the handbook! "Right away ArthurGineer."

Hat firmly places on his carapace spacecrab dashes back and forth on the ships bridge hitting levers and twisting knobs with his claws then stops and turns on the intercom "This is your captain speaking, we are about to turn this boat around and head to Miskatonic Inc. Thailand, I recommend holding onto something sturdy!... ADVENTURE." with that said he rams forward on the accelerator lever and then dashes over to the rudder controls and wrenches the boat onto a new course! THAILAND AWAITS... spacecrab isn't sure whats so important in a land of thighs though.

I blame jakebass for taking all the good rolls Vehicles check anyway

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Lutwidge Aspen FP 3/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"I'm not certifiable!" Lutwidge suddenly looks a little bit miffed at the suggestion. "The university checked that before they accepted my application! I'm not crazy! I'm not!" He pouts and glares at everyone...then suddenly starts smiling again. "Anyway, I'm going to inspect the Tager eggs, then. Have fun with everything you need to do! I certainly will!"

He turns, marches back down below decks, takes a few awkward minutes to get his laser scalpel back from the drainage area, and then looks over the Tager eggs with the sort of relish of someone preparing to dig into a pile of hard boiled eggs, muttering quietly to himself. "Alright, they'd never let me just play with these in the lab. They'd probably take them all as evidence or even destroy them as contraband! So..." he runs to the sickbay, slides on two plastic gloves and a mask, thinks a bit, then runs into the weapons hold and picks up some ear protection. Just in case Tager parasites went in through the ears. "I can probably cut one open and say that I was just confirming they were Tager eggs and not a Tager layer cake designed to look like eggs...but I don't have all of my lab equipment here! So...maybe I can keep one under my labcoat? Ah, can I just take one and say I want to analyze the parasite proper? Well, let's see what I can do with the crew sickbay equipment...!"

He suddenly snatches up an egg and runs over to the sickbay, sets it down on the counter, and turns on the theater lighting...

"Come on, Tager larva...tell me your secrets..."

Xenobiology will tell us more about these Tagers, and maybe give us more clues as to why this ship was smuggling them!
[22:03:42] <Davin_Valkringle> !r fudge+5
[22:03:43] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkringle, /--/+5 = 3
Let's Invoke Xeno Doctorate In Training for a reroll!
[22:04:31] <Davin_Valkringle> !r fudge+5
[22:04:32] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkringle, /-+/+5 = 5

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Lutwidge gets to work with a scalpel and not a lot else. The shell is soft, but resistant enough that it takes a little time to cut open. Apart from all the orange jelly, which smells like candy vomit, there's something alive inside.

That image up there is kind of what it looks like, except pale, cave-worm white and covered in like a billion eyes. It doesn't squirm for long before Lutwidge applies the knife! Inside, he finds that the innards are vestigal. The digestive tracts and other lviing bits can't support this thing outside the egg for very long, and all of the resulting space is taken up by what can only be described as bags of... stuff, the same color as the symbiote under Bei's skin. Clearly, it's the same stuff - maybe even the actual symbiote - but unless you have your mass spectronomers and microscopes to hand, you probably won't figure out what on earth it actually is. Still, the purpose of it seems clear - find host, inject gunk into host, die, symbiote does its thing. Fascinating! Also, the gunk from the egg tastes as bad as it looks. You hope Spacecrab does not commit to the idea of Tager Omelettes

This raises the question - the eggs and larva are clearly designed to infect people, but the circumstances involved with this specimen would be remote. Someone would have to put their face right up close to it to risk the little sucker latching on - the larva is too weak to make any Facehugger-level leaps. Is that normal? You have a decent number of eggs, so you could probably check the others to see if the pattern is the same amongst all the eggs. But your superiors might get annoyed if you cut up too many...

Compel time! Lutwidge is a Xenobiology Doctorate-in-Training, so unfortunately he could end up wasting more eggs than he wanted finding out the secrets of the Tagers. Take a fate point to get messy, and get your superiors annoyed at you again! How many eggs did you end up sacrificing for science on the trip back?

---

Arthur must have tapped into some real beyond-time-and-space magic in his coffee-powered fixing spree. The ship roars to life, the lights suddenly blitzing on. The engines hum, the ship stops lurching wildly, and all of Spacecrab's instrumentation works perfectly. Hell, the heating even comes on, meaning everyone who isn't a terrible dragon monster gets to get warm and dry!

You're so supercharged, it only takes a few hours to get back to Taiwan. It would have been shorter, but Spacecrab doesn't know where Taiwan is, so you have to ask for directions. Whoops.

Scene #1 of Issue #1
END

Hang in there, folks - we're heading to the next scene shortly. This is, however, a Minor Milestone! You may swap the skill ratings of any two skills in one of your modes, replace one of your stunts or mega-stunts, or rewrite an aspect that isn’t your concept aspect. Or, you can stay as you are! Amaryllis may also take a recovery action to try and remove her Mild Consequence. Your changes will kick in during the next scene - feel free to post in OOC about any changes you make.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 3+1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Lutwidge stares at his lamprey-like Tager larva with unchecked fascination. It's so...wonderful! Such a simple organism for such a singular purpose, like a heat-seeking missile with a biological payload. Most fascinating...but are they all this limited? Heat-seeking missiles usually have a lot of thrust on the back end to go with their sensors. This one has a lot of sensors but no engines. You'd have to drop it into someone's mouth or something. Maybe some of the other eggs are further along in development.

He runs back to the hold, brings back another tager egg, and cuts it open. And then he does it again. And again...

By the time he realizes, oh gods, this is evidence, I need to save it!, there's a half dozen tager larvae in various states of dismemberment in front of him. At least he won't lack for samples...

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
MISKATONIC INCORPORATED ISSUE #1 SCENE #2
START

Collateral Consequences: Mild, Moderate, Severe, Extreme

So at this point I've read how the hell Fate Points for the GM actually work, so:
  • Per Scene Budget is reset at 6.
  • Reserve is at 8 points.
Yayyy!

6:13 AM
Monday 17th November, 2135 (Still)

quote:

Taipei, Taiwan
City Aspects: Tourist Paradise, Easy Transport, Festival Frenzy

The city of Taipei has only benefited from the arrival of the Old Races. The insights provided by Mi-Go technology and Muvian and Dreamlander culture have radically altered life in one of the most populated cities in the world, and a second Taiwan Miracle has sent the economy booming. Life is good here in Taipei.

After pulling into the docks of Miskatonic Taiwan, you’re quickly ushered off the ship by various security folks, whilst haz-matted goons rush on board the ship to scrub and clean and file away all the occult. It's very clinical and not terribly friendly - but then again, security teams never are. The real life of the party is the oddballs in the labs and workshops.

The good news is, after a rushed debriefing by a mousy woman who looks very out of her depth, the op is deemed a success, and your pay has already been transferred into your accounts. Also, comfortable beds! gently caress yeah.

Now you're back in "safe" territory and not on a depressing cargo liner, and caught some zzz's, what do you guys get up to? There’s lots to do and see, and you could lose yourself in the blitz of neon thrills that this city can provide.

Places of note:
Miskatonic Inc. Taipei
Mistaktonic Inc’s fledgling branch at Taipei is focused on decoding the mysterious technologies, sciences and maths of the Old Races. Want to figure out how to make an acute angle look obtuse? Need a batch of runes to bypass your workplace’s internet filters? Need to know how to fhtagn a cthulhu? That last one isn’t real, but the other two? Here’s where it gets done. Labs, mass processing servers and applied magic-sciences are at your fingertips.

Locational Aspect: Fang Captives (Zhaokuang, Bei and Tai are being held here for interrogation, as is the haul from the ship).
Locational Aspect: Annoyed Superiors (Well someone just wasted a lot of Tager larvae.)

quote:

Miskatonic Inc
Mission Statement: Know the Unknown
Mode - Fair (+2): Miskatonic
Skills: R&D +4, Armory and Intel +3, Transport +2
Pressures: The Abyss Stares Back, The Fang Approaches
Supply: 3
Miskatonic Inc works in the same manner as Tesladyne Industries from the game - consult Chapter Twelve of the rulebook for more info. All of Miskatonic Inc’s aspects can be Invoked once for free.

Xinyi District
Home to a massive shopping and entertainment district, and the iconic Taipei 101 skyscraper, the offerings of food and goods here has only gotten wilder and crazier. If you want to buy the latest holographic HD displays, or indulge in a Deep One’s take on sushi, this is the place.

Xinsheng South Road
The spiritual street of the city, now boosted with the temples and shrines of even more religions. Buddhism and Confucianism rub shoulders with the Church of Dagon, Shubs and a weird revival of the old Greek pantheon. Anyone looking for a spiritual timeout, come on down. Selling your soul is not required.

The Titan’s Highway
Built in order to facilitate the transport of China’s mecha to Taipei as part of the Grand Defense treaty, the Titan’s Highway is a massive road that cuts through the centre of Taiwan, heading for the defense compound at the heart of the island. In times of inactivity, it’s used as a transport link for high density traffic, or even personal mecha and superheavy-class vehicles.

Of course, you can just wander randomly, but who knows where you’ll end up? One thing’s for sure, you’ll find something to do.

What are you all up to?

In addition to taking the Minor Milestone, and gaining access to Miskatonic Incorporated’s resources, you’ve also earned a Fat Stack of Cash! Spend it wisely.

quote:

Fat Stack of Cash
Lods of Emone: As long as you have this, your character can afford anything they need or want to live a comfortable, affluent lifestyle. You may invoke this Aspect to get ahold of anything extra-special, or to use your cash as social lubricant.

Shopping Trip: You may spend your Fat Stack of Cash on a piece of Mega Equipment in lieu of a Fate Point. You lose the other benefits of having the cash, though! Looks like it’s back to Ramen for you.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 12, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Amaryllis Armitage
Fate Points: 5 / 5

Taking some time to rest, Amaryllis takes a high, dramatic spot atop one of the cranes on the way back. She should probably let Lutwidge have a look-

- cue exaggerated image of a wicked, fanged Lutwidge holding up a scalpel and cackling madly-

- shutting her eyes tightly, she just shakes her head. She's a magical soldier. She can tough this out.

A recovery check using physique will get a +2, which is just enough to clear most of her aches and pains by the time they're on shore.

After being debriefed and getting some valuable shuteye + painkillers, Amy's out and about, refreshing herself on local files regarding tager technology. She's more used to dealing with invasive species than engineered parasites, after all, but it seems like the principles are similar enough. Still, her annoyance with having to work out language like "cephalopod-analogous collocyte-bearing elongated invertebrate limb" instead of "sticky tentacles" is profound. Why can't scientists write anything normally?

Still, she's also got a mind for a break, and that's why looks Jake up, swinging around a corner to peek over. "Hey, you wanna get some beef rolls or dhole butters or somethin'?", she asks. The former's local, the second'd be Lengese cuisine. "I'm gettin' bored here already and some of the coats are lookin' at my sightgaunts funny."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

As Lutwidge walks off the deck of the container ship in triumph, he leaves behind 6 more broken tager eggs and a bunch more cotton balls on the sickbay floor. Those half-dissected larva are coming out with him in the jar the cotton balls used to be in, snuggled under his coat. SMUGGLED. Not snuggled. They're not penetrating his navel or anything. And the cleaning crew is too busy with the ship proper to give him more than a cursory examination. Operation Smuggle-Bug: Success! Now it's time to start with the--

- cue exaggerated image of a wicked, fanged Lutwidge holding up a scalpel and cackling madly-

...was that the tager drugs? Okay, maybe that could wait for tomorrow. He needs time to warm up the lab equipment properly. And he is most assuredly NOT a monomaniacal cultist! That is not an option! So it's probably best to do something besides obsess over the symbiote carriers all night.

And why not? He's young, he's handsome. Perfect for a night on the town. Maybe a chance to re-acclimate their two new friends to the world outside the Fangs? He flashes a badge at a few guards and makes his way over to their holding area. It's a lot swankier compare to their captain's, but the window's still barred and the lock's on the outside.

"Hey there."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Raspers
FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOO

Music for Jed's Thoughts

A pocket full of cash, and a night out on the town? What is a boy to do?

poo poo, he'd have more options than me. Food I can't taste, booze I can't get drunk on, smokes I can't buzz on, don't bother with drugs. Or women.

So I walk. Thought I'd see how the others are doing, but no. Tonight is their night, last thing they need is a corpse weighing them down. Arthur would probably tinker and build a robot, SpaceCrab probably got his own thing, and the kids...I'm too old to hang with them. They got their nightlife, guess I got mine.

They say there's a thousand stories in the naked city. Maybe some of those stories might be interesting to me. Maybe some of those stories have answers to some long-running questions I got.

So I walk. Out of the light, with it's tourists and clubs and neon. Full of it's fun and delights for the living.

Into the dark. Into the secrets and shadows.

My kinda town.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Jake Bass

Jake didn't know Amaryllis too well. Hell, they didn't even fight together in the tanker. But still, they were part of a team now, it seemed. And he was hungry. And the labcoats and execs were stuffy.

"Hell yeah, Ama--you don't mind if I call you Ama, right?--let's get out of here!" With that, he promptly exited MiskInc. and hit the town. "Hmm, where do you think they keep all the good stuff? The weirder the better for me!"

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 5/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Considering the area they're in is now 'safe', Arthur has felt more comfortable downgrading into his civilian APPROACH jumpsuit - at least around the Misk base and headquarters. Going out has taught him to always be prepared for the worst, but here? Well, he figures if Misk is gonna be attacked on-site, they have bigger problems than him being underdressed.

The pay was nice, but it was just a side effect to a job well-done, and that's what Arthur had always been about. There was always a bigger job to do - he could admit he liked protecting people, but that was more because a well-done job is a safe job. He wasn't the type to stand in parades and get fawned over by the masses. Of course, everyone else was relaxed, and with a good night's sleep and a cup of fresh-brewed coffee, not even grumpy ol' Arthur could be in a bad mood. He had even ditched his helmet for the time being - and he didn't look half-bad out of it, at least.

He wanted to hear what the desk jockeys had learned from the examination of the boat - as well and maybe pay a visit to Xinyi District - he could use some entertainment. Before the tech-talk and the night on the town, he had to pay a visit to the people keeping the team still employed.

Still keeping his comm on his, he gave the crew a heads up. "I'm gonna chat up the bosses a bit before I head out on the town. You guys enjoy yourselves."

The top brass may think Arthur's a bit of a nutter, but, well, someone had to talk about where they were going from here, and it might as well be him.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Amaryllis and Jake Bass

You want weird?

You got weird. The night markets of Taiwan have become an almost constant, non-stop roll of street vendors, bootleg smartglasses, greasy food and neon clothes. People of all shapes, sizes and cultures rub shoulders, haggle, shout and eat in a haze of heat and steam. Sure, you could go to the high street stores and get the latest memory-silk dresses and holographic displays, but anyone can go anywhere and do that. This is unique, alive.

One nearby stall catches your eye - a Mi-Go at a food stand, bedecked in red lanterns and with a smell of cooked meat and sauces. An Ulthar cat sits on the counter, washing itself.

“Come buy, come buy,” it calls, the voice buzzing as if spoken into an office fan. “Some ling-tize for the Amaryllis-human and her friend? Fresh from the grill!” A few people in the crowd turn their heads at the mention of your name.

Lutwidge

Bei and Tai look up from their seats in the holding cells. Bei immediately goes a bit pink, but Tai’s eyes narrow in suspicion.

“H- hi.” This is Bei. “Uh, nice to see you.”

“You here to interrogate us?” Tai’s skin shifts, almost imperceptibly. “You can convince Bei to take his clothes off, but you’re not getting anything out of me. I’m not telling you poo poo.”

Bei’s gaze drops to the floor. What do you do?

Jed

You spend sometime wandering the dark alleyways, away from the lights of the city. It would probably reek of garbage and mildew back there, but you’re not so hot on the smelling. You pass a few sights - a homeless man curled up under some cardboard, a Byakhee sleeping under the rusted remains of a fire escape, some graffiti praising Nyarlathotep (amended by passers-by to suggest that Nyarlathotep may, in fact, be a dog’s unmentionables). There’s a few stories back here, a few things with tales to tell.

Like this door. This sparks a few memories - passwords, figures hidden in shadow, poker games for stakes beyond money.

You can get anywhere else in Taiwan through the alleys. A little underground railroad. Good to have.

Arthur

It takes a while to get clearance to see the brass, but eventually you are taken up to the modern, highly polished and very fancy office of...

Ruby Leiggoth
Aspect: Head of Miskatonic Taiwan

The Deep One, dressed in a sharp suit and with glasses perched on where her nose would be, looks up from what is probably her breakfast, and fixes Arthur with a stare. After a few moment, she remembers the polite smile.

"Ah, Arthur Douglas. A pleasure to meet you. Take a seat."

She reaches over to the holo-projector and pulls over some files, documents and photos hovering in the air. "A successful operation. Stopping a Shothothian cult, acquiring Ta'Ge eggs, capturing a few cultists... Jade Star are grumbling about us seizing the ship, but frankly they have too many toys already. Giving the Chinese government Tagers is the last thing we want."

"Although..." Here Ruby frowns and brings up another series of photos. "Could you explain why your colleague, Lutwidge, felt the need to try and dissect a ridiculous number of the eggs in the ship's medical bay? I know this because your team has a xenobiology student of questionable sanity in it, and two and two makes four. I suspect he may have smuggled some off the ship as well. You do realise this will result in disciplinary action for him."

"Also, who in Dagon's deep blue sea is... Spacecrab?"

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 20, 2014

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

spacecrab

spacecrab spends his time off buying himself many many hats at the various shops in hong kong, ending up with one of those super touristy hats that has the cotton side flaps and a digital camera with which he proceeds to start taking pictures of all the sites of hong kong.

During the day he visits various shrines and other religious temples and hotspots, but at night he... well he goes to a carnival.

Of course a carnival isn't quite sure what to do about an alien crab from outer space wanting to go on rides, he is clearly very short but it might be undiplomatic to deny him ride access. There is much arguing over this by the Carnival Staff. spacecrab is unconcerned as he is eating cotton candy.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Amaryllis Armitage

"Most people who know me just call me Amy.", Amaryllis says before they head out.

Looking over to the stalls, Amaryllis ohs. "That sounds good! I'll take-", she pauses, walking up in front the Mi-Go. "- wait, you know my name? I'm pretty sure we haven't met before." Ugh. While it would be an exaggeration to say they look alike, trying to identify anything by their face-tentacles is still something she struggle with. A glance around, though, and she blinks, before looking to Jake as if he might have a clue. She's used to making a big splash in Boston, a smaller splash in the Dreamlands (it's a big pool), but she's a decent ways from either. "Figured you'd be gettin' all the attention here."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Interrogate? Wha?" Lutwidge looks confused for a second before he suddenly remembers. "Oh, right, you're supposed to be our prisoners. Uh...huh. Right. I totally forgot about that!"

Not really, of course, but it's nice to play up the "good cop" aspects. Especially to Bei. He's nice.

"Uh, I guess you could say I want to interrogate you..." he begins a little cattily. "...although to be honest I'd prefer doing it over drinks. And sushi. Or just dim sum. Something like that. Ya know? Just three people with a shared interest in xenobiology, going on, shooting the breeze, noshing on tasty practically xeno-biological seafood--seriously, have you seen the fish here?!" He smiles brightly and motions with his hands, indicating a big fish, before dropping his hands to his sides. "Hang on a sec."

He walks back to where he came in and starts shouting. "Hey! I'm arranging an external interrogation session! Extraordinary rendition or something like that! Let us through!" He turns back and whispers--"That's code for a dinner date, by the way. Got any recommendations?"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Spacecrab

You are having a wonderful time at the carnival, and you see many cool things! For example, whilst on the carousel, you spy a peculiar person walking through the crowds.

She's looking around, eyes full of wonder at all of the lights and sounds. You can just make out her voice - she's talking to what looks like a huge, furry flatworm wound around her neck like a scarf.

"...too much! Come on, let's try that rollercoaster next!"

The flatworm creature hisses. Your crab PDA identifies it as a Yugg - an extraterrestrial race of carrion-eating worms - but it falters and stutters when it tries to look up the girl in the Miskatonic databases.

"Don't be silly, papa wouldn't let me go if he didn't think it was safe! Besides, there's lots of..."

The mystery girl vanishes into the crowd.

---

Amaryllis and Jake Bass

"All friends of the Piper know the Amaryllis-human." The Mi-Go begins spooning rice into a disposable plastic bowl. You catch, on his chest, a painted symbol on the alien's lower carapace.

"This one is tasked with giving her a message from He Who Crawls." The blank, tentacle-adorned head stares at Amaryllis, whilst the claws add chunks of meat. "The Watcher's agents work here. Your presence on the boat has frightened them. They will seek retribution. He cares not who he hurts. Be aware."

A steaming bowl is placed in front of Amaryllis. The cat looks up at her with golden eyes and meows.

"Compliments of the domicile."

A few fans are crowding around, asking for autographs from both Amaryllis and Jake Bass.

---

Lutwidge

Bei looks up at the mention of the words "dinner date." Tai blinks in surprise, then sighs.

"Well... okay. If that's how you want to play it. I guess there's always..."

Unlucky Moon Restaurant
Situation Aspects: Crowded Space, Convenient Waist-high Furniture

Who needs a reservation when you're with Miskatonic? You've managed to get yourselves cushy seats at one of the finest restaurants in the Xinyi district, all through a flash of cash. Seafood's been ordered, and the place is bustling with aliens of all shapes and sizes. Deep Ones, Muvians, Dreamlanders - you even see a Shoggoth making short work of several bowls of dim sun at once. You didn't even know they got time off! Bei looks around in wonder at everything, seated directly opposite Lutwidge, whilst Tai taps her fingers on the tabletop to your right.

"Hell of an interrogation session," she mutters. "You gonna invite us for wine and mood music back at your apartment too?"

"That's enough, Tai." Bei shoots her a glance. "Lutwidge has been nothing but helpful so far, so treat him with more respect, yeah?"

Tai rolls her eyes and takes a swig of her sake. "Sure, whatever. Where do you want to start, crazy man? Got a lot to tell you, if you ask right."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Raspers
FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOO

Well, well. A doorway, new yet familiar at the same time. Could be anything from a long-running mob game (wait, it's Taiwan - probably Yakuza or Tong), some makeshift "flash club" serving temporary delights and such, to unknown things lurking in the darkness inside, like bugs under a rock, hiding until someone lifts the rock away.

Gotta find out, one way or another. Way I am now, curiosity is my drug of choice. Besides, might be something I can do about what's behind the door. Maybe someone needs help. Maybe someone needs killing.

Worse comes to worse, I could get in a hand or two of poker.

knock knock

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Ha ha, you're funny, Tai!" Lutwidge grins cattily as she suggests...the next step. Well, not really the next step. His quarters are much too small, and he doesn't really do that sort of thing anyway--his first love is SCIENCE! He does smile when Bei steps in to his defense though. Nice guy. Understandable story, if everything he said back on the ship was true. He definitely needed to get Tai to open up, though.

"Oh, don't worry, I won't press too hard," he shrugs, as he takes a sip of the sake. It's not bad sake, really, nice clean taste. Better be, for the massive price list. "...oh gods, that came out wrong, let's just...uh..." He looks around for the waiter to order more, and thinks of a better idea just looking at all the pretty life enjoying their meals... "drat, look at everybody here. People from all over, across the oceans, across dimensions, and we're all chowing down and having a good time on a Monday night. Really makes you think, huh? L*******t was full of it. They aren't unknowable ineffable creatures that make people's heads explode. Deep down here..." he taps a finger on his chest. "...and up here..." he taps his head--pointedly it's near the base of his skull, where he THINKS the Tager symbiote would lodge itself, right on top of all manner of hormone glands. "...we're all alike all over the multiverse, huh?"

As if to demonstrate, he takes his chopsticks and takes a big chuck of shu mai out of one of the bamboo baskets, watching Tai and Bei for their reaction. Hopefully the message got through--"I don't care if you have Ta'ge symboiotes in you, you're still good people to me."

If you can't tear them down, then butter them up. Lutwidge is trying to use Rapport to place "People are Alike All Over"!
[20:45:57] <Davin_Valkringle> !r 4dF+3
[20:45:58] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkringle, /+-++3 = 4

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas

If Arthur seems phased by her lack of smile and otherwise otherwoldly demenaor, he doesn't show it. He does nod at her compliments of a job well done. Always nice to be getting compliments from the top brass for stuff like that. Makes a job worth doing.

Of course, she'd have questions. He didn't know Lutwidge had gone that far with his investigations into the Ta'Ge, but that doesn't surprise him. He remembers being that energetic about his own college pursuits. He speaks up after she's done showing him the photos.

"As far as I can tell, our knowledge on Ta'Ge is... rather incomplete. I'm no Xenobiologist myself, but it doesn't surprise me Lutwidge would go to such lengths. He's a good guy, just... energetic. And maybe a few bolts shy of solid, but really, I don't think anyone here can claim they aren't. I don't necessarily approve of him smuggling them off the ship, but I figure he's trying to complete the knowledge as best he's able. I'll talk with him and make sure he gets any notes to the desk jockies, but beyond that, I think it's well enough to give him a slap on the wrist and space to conduct his research, so long as he doesn't do anything... too outlandish."

Tager Lutwidge could be a minor issue, after all. He straightens his jumpsuit a bit, with regards to Spacecrab...

"To tell you the truth, I don't know a whole lot about Spacecrab, but he seems to be on a journey for his home planet, and it seems aligning himself with us is part of that mission. He's certainly eager enough to prove himself, and he's not shown any malice towards anyone in the crew. I'd say that's good enough for me, and having a giant exosphere-capable craft on his side doesn't hurt."

Time to build some Rapport with Ruby! I'm gonna create an advantage of Professional On The Job, to try and ease some pressure off him and the crew.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Jake Bass

"Amy. Got it." Jake smiles as they head out the door.

*~*~*~*~*~*

"What...what is he talking about, Amy?" Jake asks, slightly wide-eyed at what the Mi-Go had just said. He idly starts signing autographs as he talks. He wasn't much for the gods, that's for sure. "Who is...the Piper? He Who Crawls? The Watcher? Geez, all these gods making a name for themselves, you'd think they would pick some actual names instead of a collection of nouns, right? Well, whoever it is, they don't seem happy about our little excursion on the ship." He drops his voice to a whisper. "They said something big was going to happen. If this...Watcher doesn't care who gets hurt, we should keep an eye out. There are a lot of people here. Innocent people."

With a flash, his serious expression turns back into his trademark grin. He eyes Amy's bowl. "I'll uh, have what she's having!"

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

[quote="AtomikKrab" post="439224883"]
spacecrab

spacecrab spies the young lady and her UTTERLY FASCINATING SCARF while riding the carousel. Unfortunately for the crab he loses sight of her while waiting for his ride to finish so he could get off in a safe and proper manner.

So the intrepid explorer sets off on his quest, to find the lady and ask where he can purchase such a scarf for his own use.

Mission set spacecrab scuttles off around the carnival asking people questions about the lady and if they have seen her.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Amaryllis Armitage

Amaryllis squints, replying to the Mi-Go. "Well, they're awfully sore losers, ain't they? Still, I'm glad to have the warning, let me know if there's anything you need, okay?" She takes the bowl, saying to Jake, "It's not that they don't have real names or anythin', just it's an old-fashioned belief that sayin' their names gives them power, y'know? Our captain dropped the Watcher's name when he made the shift, so I guess there might be something religious to it all. We'll want to let the others know as soon as we get back." She takes a hunk of rice, perches a bit of meat on it, and then takes a bite, all the better to have mildly surprised look when she's asked for her autograph. Of course, she's ignorant as to her family history between her and The Watcher, but she knows enough to be well aware of the trouble involved.

Juggling her bowl and a pen, she leans over to do some signing... though it might be a bit of trouble in her line of work if she keeps getting noticed like this.

Got an Occult result of 4 to identify The Watcher as Yog-Sothoth in the context.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Arthur

quote:

Ruby Leiggoth
Aspects: Head of Miskatonic Taiwan, Devout Dagonite, I’m Surrounded by Idiots

Good (+3) Mode: Deep One
Skills: Athletics, Physique, Tooth and Claw

Fair (+2) Mode: Businessfish
Skills: Provoke, Contacts, Rapport

Skills:
+4 Rapport. Tooth and Claw
+3 Athletics, Physique,
+2 Provoke, Contacts, Rapport

Stunts:
I’m the Boss!:
Ruby doesn’t need to roll Contacts if she’s requesting help from her NPC employees.
Deep One Biology: Absolutely more Athletic underwater, but at a cost. Immune to drowning but weak to extreme temperatures.

Stress:
Phyqisue: 1 2 3 4 5
Will: 1 2 3

Consequences:

Situational Aspect: Professional On The Job created!

Ruby sniffs. "I'm sure you are more than capable of keeping Aspen on his leash. My concern is that his... lack of sanity will cause him to divert from our goals. If I may be blunt, he's not just short a few bolts, he's missing foundations. If we don't keep an eye on him, he'll likely jam a Ta'Ge symbiote into his ear, and we'll have to clean up his mess afterwards. I won't risk that. I run a tight ship here."

Provoke - Create an Advantage "I'm in Charge": 4dF+2 0

You've heard bullshit like this before. What's your rebuttal, Arthur?

---

Amaryllis and Jake Bass

The Mi-Go serves Jake Bass another bowl. "For you, friend of Amaryliis-human. Stay safe."

quote:

The Pipers
Aspects: For the Sake of Chaos, It's In the Music, Messenger Network

The Pipers are a series of disparate cults across the world, comparable to 21st century "hacktivist" groups. They perform various acts of social disruption in the name of Nyarlathotep, ranging from flash mobs to impromptu concerts to painting images with memetic components where people will see them. Their most common function in the criminal underworld is to act as a courier and messenger network, and their ability to easily summon the winged Nightgaunts gives them a reputation for speed and stealth. Major conflicts with the Pipers are rare as they tend to avoid violence. What Nyarlathotep thinks about them is, for the moment, undocumented.

There's a small crowd around you, looking for autographs and a chance to talk with you. They all seem like normal people, and there's a fair amount of them. Is there someone there who looks out of place?

Situational Aspect: Crowded

Beat a +5 with Notice to find something unusual...

---

Jed

The door opens a fraction.

"Al, swear to god, youse better have somethin' good this time, all that Lentz crap gives me the -"

There's am awkward pause as the speaker takes a moment to process that fact that you're not Al, or indeed anyone he expected to be knocking on the door right now.

"...Who're you? You ain't s'posed to be here, bub. Best move on, 'fore you make a mistake. Unless, uh, you got th' password or somethin'."

You can't quite see the speaker, but they don't seem too sure of themselves. Bet you could get in if you put on the right airs.

---

Spacecrab

Unfortunately, not many people have many details on the mystery girl! One or two come up with a name like "Scylla" or "Cindy" or something, but none know it exactly. They point you towards the roller coaster she went for, though.

Oh boy! This looks like fun.

---

Lutwidge

Situational Aspect: People are Alike All Over created!

Bei nods. "You're right. We're all in this mess together."

"Howard was a twitch!" Tai raises her sake and grins. There's a few cheers from one or two nearby folks who overheard her, and a Serpent-Man adds his own interpretation, which is just too rude to be repeated here.

"I'll drink to that!" Bei raises his too, smiling. Looks like you got them trusting you more. What do you wanna know?

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Raspers
FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOO

Jed doesn't give the mook time to catch his breath before he starts some quick patter. "Of course I'm not Al, I'm not a fuckup like he is." Mental Note: Figure out who 'Al' is and what a 'Lentz' is, Jed thinks as he quickly continues to act like the confident rear end in a top hat he isn't, and keeping the talk quick so the other guy doesn't have time to think things out.

"Me? Name's Cash, and funny thing, that's what I bring to the party. You sound like the man with the plan and the goods, well I'm the man with the interest."

"Oh by the way, the password?" Jed smiled another fake smile, then pulls out a wad from his Miskatonic pay.

"Cash."

Rolling Deceive +3, Rolled horseshit again with a 1 and spending a Fate Point to tap Fat Stack of Cash to help bribe my way in. Total 3.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas

Che, top brass, they're all the same. 'I run a tight ship' this and 'I won't stand for insubordination' that. Well-Means was the same way. If they knew how many times Arthur had to get messy and outside the boundaries to do his job, HR would have had more of a conniption fit over him than they had already. Arthur refrained from rolling his eyes, leaning forward as he brace an arm on his lap.

"Yeah, I get that, Boss." He says, careful to pick his words, she might have the standard bullshit, but he wasn't gonna be -too- hostile towards her. Good working environment breeds better workers, and all. "But look, we've got two captives from that ship who don't exactly look like the pinnacle of raving mad cultists - and believe me, I have experience with that type. I'm gonna hazard a guess that jamming a Ta'ge in your head ain't gonna turn anyone's personality backwards. If that's our worst case scenario, I'm not worried - he might have some time gettin' used to being part weirdo, but I can't see him turning on us the moment that thing worms in his brain."

He leans back again, giving her a look.

"Course, I'll do what I can to make sure he doesn't go that far, but I figure you've got bigger things to worry about than a self-experimenting xeno-biologist when the worst case scenario is you got a Jekyll and Hyde type Doc for a field team, get what I'm getting at?"

Defend time! Rapport! Arthur's not the smoothest smooth-talker, but a 1 still beats Ruby's attempt to create an advantage on him.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Howard was a twitch!" Lutwidge repeats, louder and more vigorously, before downing a sake cup of his own. He taps it down on the table and sighs contentedly. "Lucky us we took public transit here. Whoo!" After throwing up his hands in a cheer, he leans forwards, placing his chin on the back of one hand, and cocks his head. "Now look at this. Look at all these people. Just hanging out and enjoying life. What's so important that a bunch of people are willing to mess up all of that?" The certain group being, of course, the Cult of the Fang. It's not accusative or anything, more...questioning, really. Like asking the waiter what the specials are. "They aren't L*******t bigots, they aren't people of hatred. So why choose Taiwan for your...ah...?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Amaryllis Armitage

"You'd think if they didn't want any trouble they wouldn't go around startin' it.", Amy says, taking another bite of the sour-spicced meat. "But thanks! We'll keep an eye out!", she says, waving to the Mi-Go and trying to navigate the fan attention. Her red eyes shift, though, left on edge by the encounter as she occasionally looks past somebody instead of at them.

Notice is +4, but I'll spend a fate point to have Shining Soldier of Kadath add +2 to the roll for a total of +6, since a soldier's supposed to have situational awareness!... or somesuch.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Jed

The money seems to convince whoever's behind the door. "Alright, buddy. In you come. Nice and quiet now."

Inside is probably what used to be the basement of a warehouse or utility building. The low roof and concrete remind you of bunkers, shelters. There's only a bare bulb, flickering in old age. The light illuminates the guy who lead you in, a short, squat fellow with some Innsmouth in his ancestry somewhere, and the table at which two others are sat, playing poker. A fourth individual, skinny and gaunt, stands in a corner, hands moving in complex patterns and green runes dancing in front of his vision. They're all wearing tailored suits, and shoes that were probably shiny once, but no hats. It rings a bell.

"You, Slim?" The fat one shouts over. "Everything okay over there?"

"Peachy keen." Slim clearly does not like his nickname.

The fat one shoots you a glance. "You looking for anything in particular, bub? We got a fresh load of Leng Webbing in this week. That poo poo's crazy. Or we got some Scrip, or some Blackout if you're into that. What'll it be?"

---

Arthur

Ruby sighs and rubs her right temple with her hand. "Yes, Arthur, I get you. Fair enough. Dagon below, sometimes I get... frustrated. We lost an operative two months ago because he decided to open up a canister full of The Color. It's hard to direct so many people, especially when their sanity is... suspect."

A pop-up blinks into life on her desk. She gives it a glance, and groans.

"Speak of the devil. Your friend appears to have taken the captives out for, and I quote, an "external interrogation session." I didn't know those existed. We've got eyes on him, so we'll know if he does go... off course."

She leans forward on the desk and fixes you with her eyes. "So, run me through the ritual on the boat. Sothothian, yes?"

---

Lutwidge

Bei shrugs. "Beats me. I'm too low on the ladder to know that."

"I heard... rumors." Tai takes another swig. "Something about how... how it was the best site for whatever it is they wanted to do. Something about how many people lived here..."

Bei turns worried eyes on Lutwidge. "They... wouldn't! Would they?"

"There aren't that many symbiotes in the world, let alone the city. Tagerism is rare." Tai shakes her head. "There was something else. I heard another ship was taking a whole bunch of ritual components - and not stuff for a Tager binding. Something else."

---

Amaryllis and Jake Bass

You see, on the edges of the crowd surrounding you, a few stragglers. They appear to be wearing hoodies a size too big, obscuring their faces in the shadows of the stark lighting of the district.

They don't look like they want autographs.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas

Arthur shakes his head at the mention of 'external interrogation', sounds like wining and dining their new pals, to him. He's not gonna tell the boss lady about that, though. Oh, Lutwidge.

She does speak up about the ritual on the boat, and his eyes sort of light up, nodding as he strokes his trimmed-up stubble. "Yeah, Sothothian without a doubt. Databanks says it was a Rite of Sacred Union, usual way to bind with the Ta'Ge parasites, but it looks... definitively rushed, comparatively. I didn't get a good look if there was much more out of the ordinary than that, but near as I can tell, they rushed the ritual to have a bunch of low-intelligence raging brutes as muscle on the boat. The ritual itself was -massive-, bigger than most I've seen, the entirety of one of the cargo holds was dedicated to it."

He pauses, leaning back a bit. "It's also why I made the call to get that boat back here to Misk. It'd be one thing if it was just the ritual -or- the Ta'Ge eggs, but handing both pieces of the puzzle to Jade Star struck me as... unwise."

While he's with the boss, he might as well ask about the nagging little idea in his head. "Not to interrupt the grilling about the ritual site, but you know if the desk jockies got a lead on a paper trail for that Mi-Go jammer I hauled off that thing? That thing didn't look standard issue in the least."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Raspers
FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOO

So far, looks like Jed blundered into a drug den. Then again, how often it it what you see is really what you get? Plus there's the Magic Man off in the corner. Nice suits, shabby shoes, no hats...why's that familiar? Questions and more questions. Are drugs the only thing they're peddlin', or is there something else?

"Sounds like some lovely party favors you all got here," Jed continues the fake charm. "That all you got, or you got other...fun and games around?"

Jed's going for a two-fer, using Notice to try to figure out what sort of mojo Magic Man is doing, and Contacts to try to recall information about the sellers.

Notice = 3 and Contacts = 4. Spending a Fate Point (4/5) to tap I'll Solve This, Even If It Kills Me (Again) to add +2 so Notice winds up as 5.

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 31, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"How many people...you mean by numbers or just how many in general?" Lutwidge voices his question, then lowers his voice and draws himself in closer. "Something I noticed about your Ta'Ge things...they seem really weak when they first draw themselves out of the egg. I'm not sure if they could...convert anybody who could even passively resist. So maybe it has nothing to do with the eggs. What is this other...affair you mentioned, Tai?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Amaryllis Armitage
Fate Points: 4 / 5

Amaryllis squints in sudden caution, trying to find an escape route. Reaching out to Jake, she tries to grab him, and then pulls, leaping away dramatically towards the nearest open area - a rooftop, if necessary. Lasers + crowd is generally a poor idea, and there wasn't much time for discussion.

Making an Athletics roll to make a great anime leap and carry Jake along. She'll contest him if necessary to do so, and has a 3.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Jake Bass

Jake, unaware of the outliers watching them from beyond the ring of people, continued to sign autographs. "Now, now, one at a time, please..." he muttered, clearly not doing well with the attention. So, he felt some slight relief when Amy grabbed him and leapt into the air. That was, of course, coupled with some sudden shock. "W-wait! My food...! Uh...where are we going, exactly?"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Movement Rules posted:

• Each Area is a zone.
  • As long as no enemies occupy the "Alleyways" zone, you can between any zones it connects to for free.

---

Arthur

Ruby nods."Your hunch is right. It''s a black market job - fairly common in areas with a heavy Mi-Go presence. The jammer's designed to prevent supernatural influence from looking in, and it'll play havoc with other things too. Zhaokuang would have got his hands on one easily. Might be a Ry'leh Family job. He'd need it, too - Mi-Go hate Ta'Ge a lot, and they'd descend on that boat like vultures if they got a whiff of them. We've traced it back to a few likely suspects - there's one Shieh Shen who's making a buzz in the illegal tech market. It'd be nice to pull that weed out before it even takes root, you get me?"

She dismisses the notes hovering over her desk. "So, big ritual, hastily set up on a boat. Looks like they wanted cheap muscle, fast. Any ideas? And be frank with me. There's been... stirrings, I can tell you that much. We've always had a bit of a cult problem. They're always in the cities, it's like cabin fever. But they've been quiet lately, so until Aspen comes back from his dinner date with destiny, I'm about as clued in as you are."

---

Jed

You take a little while to figure out who they are, but you know what the guy in the corner's doing, easy-peasy. Basic Ry'leh scrying ritual, used for keeping tabs on things...

Ry'leh.

Ah.

quote:

The Ry'leh Family
Aspects: Supernatural Crime Syndicate; Code of Silence (or else); Gods Amongst Us

The Ry'leh Family is the colloquial name for the worldwide crime syndicate that is presumably headed by the high priest Cthulhu. Formed when the ancient being decided he'd had enough of being rammed in the head by boats, the syndicate's primary purpose is to acquire power and wealth for Cthulhu and his extended family. Although it has some cult-like aspects and traditions, the Family styles itself as businessmen and facilitators in order to divert ire from anti-supernatural task forces and appear more inconspicuous. Despite a bevy of anecdotal evidence against him, Cthulhu has leveraged his powers so that hard evidence tends to vanish, and that his foes vanish along with them. Most consider this cheating.

The Innsmouth guy looks at you askance. "Hey, no, we ain't got nothin' like that. We don' do anythin' like that! No fuckin' Black Goat bullshit here."

"Black Goat's never done that." This is from one of the guys at the table. "That was some hypernet rumor, remember? Even Shub herself said so."

"Yeah, 'cause Shub's totally trustworthy once she puts on some makeup an' a dress an' lives in a mansion. Yog just sulks in some corner all day, but we're up to our fuckin' necks in Fang goons all day."

"Yog's a shifty gently caress though."

"An' Shub ain't?"

The two bicker between themselves. You've got some time to consider your next move...

---

SUDDENLY

EXPLOSIONS

---

Lutwidge

Tai leans in closer. "Those eggs are modified. They're used on people that can't fight back. I think... I think they're planning to convert everyone in the city. And then -"

But she doesn't get much further. The front windows of the restaurant smash in, amidst screams of fright. Five people rush in, and from their choice of attire, it's pretty obvious who they are.

quote:

Cultist of Yog Sothoth (Mob of 5)
Average (+1) Mode - Cultist
Skills: Ritual, Physique
Stress: None.

Ritual - do anything involving spooky rituals and chanting and such.

"There they are! The traitors! Sieze them!" One of them points at where you're sitting. The cultists, with more enthusiasm than sense, pull out long, curved knives and rush at you. Bei and Tai stand up instantly, flesh shifting and bones creaking as they morph, but they won't have changed in time before the cultists reach them. What do you do?

This is a mob of 5 cultists - you only need to deal a 1 shift hit to deal with one of these goons, and excess shifts "overflow" onto the others. They might work together to do stuff, though!

---

Amaryllis and Jake Bass

As Amaryllis makes her leap, the people in the hoodies break into a run. Two of them morph suddenly, becoming like the Spider Tagers Jake Bass totally owned earlier. Their change causes shrieks of alarm amongst the crowd.

quote:

Spider Tager (Mob of 2)
Good (3): Tager
Skills: +5 Agility, +4 Tooth and Claw, Will, +3 Notice
Stress: 1 2

The two Spider Tagers begin to clamber up the side of the building after the Magical Girl and her dubstep friend, spitting web at the pair and trying to pin them down.

Creating an Advantage with Tooth and Claw. The roll gains an extra +1 due to the extra Tager working together.
Create an Advantage with Tooth and Claw: 4dF+5 6
Dodge with Athletics, pull back with Pysique, or something else!

---

Spacecrab

You've been having a wonderful time on the rollercoaster - and you've not gotten off, because the crowds love you and the staff are very confused by you - but you haven't seen the girl for a while.

And then the power goes out in the middle of your fifth ride around. The other riders look around, worried. One or two start to panic at being stuck so high up.

Huh.

---

quote:

The Order of the Fang is trying to take you out. They may direct attacks at civilians and infrastructure to attack Taipei's stress track. Stress from Taipei can be funnelled into the Collateral Consequences if desired. When the stress track is full, Taipei falls into panic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 5/5 -> 4/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Time for Arthur to take a hunch - Occult Sciences! That's... less than ideal, so we'll invoke Escaped Sacrifice for a Re-Roll! Much better.

Arthur's been around the block enough times to know what's up. When she says the cults have been quiet recently in Taipei, his eyes light up. His whole body seems to tense up, as he grits his teeth. That plus the big need for quick muscle...

"With all do respect, Miss Leiggoth. I think you ought to scatter any available field agents - now." his voice is on edge, his mannerisms quicker than the drawl he was using. This was the face of a man who had seen too many little cult-busts go south from a moment's hesitation. "If they were desperate enough to convert a whole barge of crew on the fly into muscle, I'm guessing we don't have a lot of time. Best I can figure is we've got something big headed our way."

He stands up. Why did he switch into his civvie gear, never a dull moment. "I hate to cut and run, but now that I'm thinking of it, we need the rest of the team, cause I got a hunch that we're gonna see some serious poo poo before the night's out. Forward Shieh Shen's info to my wearable, I'll make a run by the tech district as I head out."

With that, he gives a courteous, professional nod, before quickly striding out of Leiggoth's office. One he's clear, there's a full blown sprint. It's time to suit up and get running, no telling how much time is on the clock.

Though an intern might notice a fresh cup of coffee in the break room is mysteriously missing.

• Locked thread