Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Jake Bass

You send that thing to the ground faster than a Dragon Ball victim, smashing into the asphalt with an explosion of dust and smoke. The crowd falls away like a wave, looks up to see you hovering there, and then cheers as they recognise your media-famous image. One or two girls swoon. You're a celebrityyyy -

The thing pulls itself from the crater, hate glowing in it's eyes.

quote:

Night Tager
Good (+3) Mode: Tager (Agility, Tooth and Claw, Will, Notice
Fair (+2) Mode: Horror (Physique, Terror (provoke), Stealth)
Skills: +5 Agility, +4 Terror, Physique, +3 Agility, Tooth and Claw, Will, Notice, +2 Stealth
Stress: 1 2 3

There's a pause as it stares up as you, eyes glittering and a sickly wind blowing from its wings. Then it moves - holy god it moves -- and grabs the nearest bystander, a young man. It presses a claw to his throat and laughs, a guttural, hissing sound.

Create an Advantage with Provoke: 4dF+4 3
Spending my last FP from my pool to make it a 5. Reserve = 7.

"They're Taking Hostages!" Someone screams, and the crowd begins to panic and scatter. The creature below you is waiting for your next move, still laughing as his captive squirms in his grip.

---

Theme Park

Defending with Physique: 4dF+4 3

The falling monkey doesn't have a weapon rating, but it hits hard enough to knock the monster clean out. It falls backwards and comically flattens a cultist underneath it's bulk. This prompts the rest of the group, suddenly understanding that they can't beat three people, a crab and an octopus, to turn and flee as a group, shouting epiphets and promises of retribution.

Yeah, right.

"Um..." This is Cthylla. Her voice is somewhat different as an octopus. "Could you... could you let me go, please? Daddy will be worried..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Raspers
FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOO
Minor Consequence: Twisted Ankle

Jed staggers back to his feet after getting dogpiled by cultists after that thing grabbed him. Too grouchy to yell at the cowards, Jed gets confused when he sees the thing that Cthylla became stuck in one of Amaryllis' seals. When she asks to be let go, and mentions 'Daddy', Jed realizes having the daughter of The Big C feeling bad might end up being bad for everybody.

"Yeah, let her go," Jed hobbles over to the others (and grumbling more with his messed up left foot). "She helped us out, we don't need to bind her. Besides, her family is ...worried for her."

"You okay kid?" He asks Cthylla. "Your..." Jed tries to think of words more flattering than 'henchmen' or 'hired goons', "...bodyguard detachment couldn't make it, it's why I'm here."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Lutwidge Aspen FP 4-3/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Aaaaah, crud. This is not the reception Lutwidge was expecting when he got back to the whoa whoa ow ow boss stop pulling on me yikes!

Once he's properly inside, he watches Tai and Bei get carted wayyy off to the side, and then bites his lip at all the signs of gunfire in the lobby. And at the guns. Then he turns to the unconscious cultist. Who is now conscious. And who looks just as freaked out as he feels, either from the rifles pointed at his head or the sight of Lutwidge's boss.

"Whoa, whoa, hey hey!" Lutwidge yells, pushing the two nearest gun barrels to the side. "Can we tone it down a bit?!" He walks closer to the hostage, pushing down shotguns and rifles as he goes. "Can we, you know, not have an accident in here?" It's part genuine concern, and part calculated "good cop, bad cop(s)" act, and he's not really sure how much of each is going on. When he finally gets to the prone cultist, he leans over on his hands and knees.

"Hey there," he says, head tilted to the side. "You look like you've had quite a night. Hoo, it's warm in here, isn't it. Probably have your friends to thank for that, what with the scorching and all." He slides off his labcoat with a wave. Then he kneels down, and leans over. It might or might not be a coincidence that his top shirt button has fallen open. "Hey, I'm a college guy, I know how it is. You go out with your friends, you have a few to drink, you start talking about the all powerful...power of good ol' Yog Sothoth, you have a few more, you start thinking about how many six-year old Mi-Gos you could take in a fight, you have a few too many, and before you know it, you and your buddies start trashing the place like you're going to sack it! Yeah, well...we don't like that around here. As you can probably guess by all the guns around! And we'd like to make sure that it doesn't happen again!

"So...what made you decide to go out for a night on the town? Oh, by the way, I knocked out two of your friends with a china teapot--ask them!" He points at Bei and Tai with a thumb. "Sooooo...you might not want to lie to me when I can grab a gun. Y'know how it is."

Lutwidge is just this side of being a cultist, so it probably makes sense that his interrogation method is to buddy-buddy Rapport with them when he has the chance!
[20:40:34] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[20:40:34] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, --+-+3 = 1
Reroll with Sufficiently Advanced Thinking...
[20:42:01] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[20:42:01] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, -//-+3 = 1
...reroll with Too Sexy for my Labcoat...!
[20:42:36] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[20:42:37] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, /++-+3 = 4
And one more on Bachelor by Learning, Bachelor for life to make it clear that this is just a nice casual conversation, not an interrogation, and make it +6!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

spacecrab
Fate Points: 3/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

"OW!" yells spacecrab is he is VERY RUDELY hurled to the hard concrete padding of the theme park where he being harder than that bounces off it, but boy does he have a carapace-ache. Looking around as he shakes off the pretty nebula and supernovas he sees the enemy in full retreat but. "Oh No Ms. Octothylla they caught you in some fiendish trap, luckily we were all here to save you! don't worry i'll get you out!" he says as he pulls out his [b]Space Scouts Handbook[b] and flips through to the section on freeing entities from energy traps. "Ok this should work I think but i'm not sure!." Then he presses the big red button on his mecha remote and his spaceship bends down from where it is crouched and fires a series of green energy waves from a dish like device on the end of one manipulator arm which misses the target and instead hits spacecrab blasting him into the air and also the energy barrier himself! Oh no now he, ms. Octothylla and the wormscarf are trapped! those fiendish bad guys are tricky!

Science but the dice do not like me so fail and now i'm trapped!

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 25, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Amaryllis Armitage
Fate Points: 3 / 5

"Just... put the tentacles down...", Amy says, raising a hand before frowning at herself. Was that a dumb thing to say? She looks between Jed and the bound crab, and finally manages a facepalm. "Okay, but you're responsible for anything that happens." A snap of her fingers, and the binding shatters and flickers out of existence. "So, what's Yoggy want with you, anyway?", she adds with a more accusatory tone, walking up. "Kind 'f a funny coincidence they're makin' such a mess and you're here, too..."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Miskatonic Taiwan

The cultist looks at Lutwidge, then at the guns, then at Lutwidge's chest, then at Lutwidge again.

"We're, uh, we're going to summon Yog Sothoth." His voice is very meek.

There is a long silence.

"Please tell me," says Ruby through gritted teeth, "that you're not that stupid."

The cultist squirms. "Um, we were going to make the city panic, so, you would be all distracted. And then when we'd summoned him, we wouldn't need the full symbiotes - just the weak leeches. You, know, with too much alcohol when you grow them? That- that's how we do it. People would, would line up to be part of the new world. With, with lots of tagers."

"Cute." Tai grins at Bei. "He reminds me of you when you joined."

Bei mumbles and looks at the floor. Meanwhile, Lutwidge's PDA is feeding him information.

quote:

Yog Sothoth
Concept Aspect: The Watcher at The Gate
Omega Aspect: WomanSpeciesizer

Yog Sothoth is a Great Old One, and one of the few known to be entirely antagonistic to Earth as a whole. Presumed locked outside of the universe, Yog Sothoth seeks a way to return to our world. It prizes knowledge-gathering (often to the point of suicidal behaviour) and its cultists often ransack libraries and warehouses for ancient texts. Yog-Sothoth is also known to bestow physical mutations upon its followers, particularly the phenomenon known as Whateleyism or Dunwich Syndrome. Sothothian cults are also known for the ability to resurrect the dead, although no known likes with [REDACTED] have been found.

Affilates: Randolph Carter (presumed dead), Shub-urath (ex-partner), Cthulhu (unspecified familial connection - denied by Cthulhu)

---

Theme Park

Cythilla squirms a bit as the binding vanishes, and then forms back into her goth girl form, looking around sheepishly.

"Oh, thank you. You're nice. Daddy says the Piper's a bad influence, but I think he's funny." She kneels down and rights poor Spacecrab, who has ended up on his back, before patting him. "Daddy doesn't like Yog either. I'm not allowed to call him granddad any more. I think they had a fight? I wasn't there. I was in Bangkok buying anime."

She looks around. "You're much better than the silly Deep Ones. Daddy will probably eat their souls." This is said in a very matter-of-fact manner.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Raspers
FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOO
Minor Consequence: Twisted Ankle

"Okay," Jed starts in when Cythilla changes back, "Problems dealt with. Here." Something was bothering Jed's brain. "I'm guessing these clowns were around the city as well, right?" He turned to ask Amy and Arthur. "So, first the ship, now this. Was it to get her," Jed nods towards Cythilla, "or something else?" Jed starts pacing (or rather, limping) around, thinking, pausing to kick the downed Tager to try to knock his foot back into it's socket. "Fang vs. Rollies - is this a citywide hit, to try to get rid of the competition, or something else - Fang's hitting too broad for just a gang hit."

Pulling out his phone, Jed calls in for Lutwidge. The scientist might have more info, could shine light someone like him would miss out on.

EDIT: Thanks to IRC Chat communications, Jed can now get rid of his Minor Consequence. Kicking downed monsters is helpful!

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 26, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Lutwidge Aspen FP 1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Lutwidge is so good at multitasking he can listen to the prisoner spill his weaselly black guts and read the info streaming in to his PDA at the same time! He bites his lip a bit when he sees the sort of people Yoggy Soggy attracts to his side--there but for the power of science go I?--but he gets over it fast. He's not the one being interrogated right now, after all.

"That sounds...curious," he starts when he turns back to the cultist prisoner person. "What makes you so certain that people would want to join up with the guys who just trashed their--" *ring ring!* "--oh, that's mine, hang on!"

With all the casualness of youth, he walks out of the circle of guns and towards the front of the building for better reception. "Hello! Hey Jed! Yeah, I've been talking to one of them now! They wanna summon Yoggy Soggy! Er, Yog Sothoth! Those Tager eggs we found on the ship were supposed to be given to volunteer collaborators after--is there something going on in the background over there?"

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Raspers
FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOO

Jed's jaw drops when Lutwidge fills him in on what was going on. City takeover was one thing, but summing up the Yog itself? That's a whole other level of bad.

"Yeah, some stuff happened here and elsewhere," Jed continues. "I'll be honest with you, even with the work we all did tonight, I don't think the Fangs are done trying tonight. Everyone else is here except for Jake, I'll call him in a bit. Find out when and where the Fangs were going to do their ritual -" Jed almost whispers the next bit into the phone - "and see if the ritual needed blood or a sacrifice of an..." Jed struggled to think of words to describe Cythilla without outright calling her 'the daughter of Cthluhu' - figures she deserves her personal privacy for the moment - "otherdimensional being".

Jed cuts the connection and turns to the others. "Lutwidge says the Fangs were planning to summon up Mister Gate and Key itself in the city." Pointing to Cythilla, he continues "That might be why they try to get you, I don't know for sure, I asked one of our brains to check in." Turning to Amaryllis and Arthur, he asks "You two are the experts on otherdimensional entities and cult rituals, would using one in a ritual-" he doesn't mention sacrifice, don't want to scare Cythilla at the moment -"work to summon up one of the Big Ones?"

"And anyone know where Jake went off to?" He asks before dialing his phone. "Better get ready to book it, I don't think our night's done yet."

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 27, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"What kind of 'otherdimensional beings' are we talking about here?" Lutwidge asks with a gesture, as if his PDA had holovideophone tech. "Like, Mi-Gos, Deep Ones...Oh, well fine then! I'll just have to ask him myself!" He shoves the PDA back into his pants pocket and turns back into the ring of guns surrounding the cultist.

"Right, you said you were going to summon Yoggy Soggy. I'm going to need a date, a time, and any sort of...accessories...you need to do so. Especially living ones. Actually..."

He pulls his PDA out of his pocket, flips to the EZ Necrononnom Tome app, and starts putting down search restrictions for a Yog Sothoth ritual.

"Come to think of it, I could probably find most of the generalities on this thing. But then you would be useless and my boss would champ at the bit to have you taken out back and shot, SOOOO..." he smiles politely. "I'm going to say a word or a clause. It's going to have something to do with summoning something from outside this universe. And I want you to say all the details that come to your mind when you hear it. That'll help us immensely and get my boss off your back...and mine. Ready? Okay, 'ritual space'..."

Lutwidge is going to dig up all the details he can with the help of his new cultist friend and his smartphone! It's a very messy SCIENCE, rituals: 4dF+3 3

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 3/5 -> 2/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

With the cultists scattering, Arthur's helmet shuts off and sort of golds back behind the nape of his neck, letting him run a hand through his hair. Jeez, this was way worse than anything Well-Means had thrown him at, but luckily everyone seemed no worse for the wear, although Jake missing was a bit of an... outlying issue.

He lowers his rivet gun, clearing his throat as he approaches Cythilla. "Sorry about all that hassle. I'm Arthur." He says, extending a gloved and armored hand. "Guy chatting on the phone there's Jed, the girl in the elaborate getup is Amaryllis, and you've already met Spacecrab. We're from Miskatonic."

Arthur's gonna try and get a read on Cthyllia and warm her up to them with some Rapport! Uh... that's not great, so Arthur's gonna bank on being Mad Artie, Professional Repairman to get him a Re-Roll!

"We're here to help, albeit a bit... confused. Looks like Yog-Sothoth types were trying to corner you. You got any clue why exactly? It's alright if you don't, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask."

When Jed throws a question him and Amar's way, he looks towards her. "I can maybe think of a couple hunches, but I'm not sure I can think of anything concrete. But i'm sure between Amaryllis and I we can come up with something."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Amaryllis Armitage

"Well, it's always more complicated than that, but havin' the blood grandchild of whoever you're summoning is an awful good place to start.", Amaryllis says as she walks up to Cythilla, "We certainly can't let you... get sacrificed." She has a serious look on her face, and looks to Jed. "Even if it didn't work, it's probably best to keep her dad dreamin'." Taking a deep breath, she closes her eyes for a moment, and then asks the princess, "You willin' to come with us for protection?" There's a look on her face that implies it's less 'are you going to come with us?' and more 'are you going to come peaceably?'.

Rolling Occult on this and coming up with a 1, so let's trigger Inheritor of the Armitage Legacy for a reroll. After all, this isn't the first time her family has dealt with Yog cultists! The reroll is 7... so... that's better!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Lutwidge

"Big." The cultist squirms some more. "About the size of, uh, a city block. I don't know... where it was gonna be. Middle of the city, maybe?"

Ruby jerks her head at the guards, who usher Bei and Tai away. The EZ-Necronomicon app narrows it down - there's a lot you could do with a city-block sized summoning area, but the two top hits are for a Mass Byakhee summoning and a spell for raising a whole lot of dead, say, in a graveyard. Summoning Yog-Sothoth himself seems to be conjecture at the moment...

---

Theme Park

Cythlla takes Arthur's hand and shakes it, like she's not sure why she's doing it. "Hi. I'm Cythlla. I'm sure you've heard about me. I think, anyway. I don't know why they would be after me... Does Great-Grandad hate me? I hope he doesn't..."

She blinks at Amaryllis'... request. "Um... sure. But I think Daddy might be upset if I stayed for too long. He doesn't like Miskatonic very much. He thinks they're nosy."

Cthylla Ry'Leh joined the party!

"We should go, shouldn't we? What about all these unconscious people?" Cthylla looks around nervously at the unconscious cultists scattered around.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Okay, city center...a place the size of a city block...maybe a park...?" Lutwidge taps and hums away at his digitized Necronomicon archive. Then he frowns. "Okay, new words, buddy. 'Sacred Idols', 'Blood Sacrifice'..."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Lutwidge

"Not much for idols." The cultist shakes his head. "I guess there's a lot of lecturns? There's, like, a lot of spells that have to be done at the same time. As for blood, well, to be most effective it needs the blood of agreatoldone but any will do."

The Necronomicon App beeps. It's found something! They're files on Miskatonic's servers. You knew hooking your app to the internal network was a great if technically illegal thing to do! Although it probably should not be going through secure servers like that. The files seem to refer to a "Dunwich Incident" from a long time ago, and could provide some answers...

Compel time! Nobody knows Who Wrote the Code for This?!, but that app sure likes going places it shouldn't! Dare you risk opening the files and getting into trouble, all for a Fate Point?

Gonna put up something for Spincut unless there's a post - this scene is wrapping up very soon.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 1+1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"I'm sorry, did you say 'Great Old One'?" Lutwidge stops tap tap tapping away at his phone to look up. "Like, you're going to...well...that explains...hmm...root access...decrypt..."

I'll take the compel!

...Dunwich...the Whateleys...? Why was his boss hiding all this useful information behind encryption and security and all that stuff? "Ah, here we are!" he suddenly calls out as he holds out the phone triumphantly. "Thanks for all your help. Now we know what's going on...of course this would've been a lot easier if Miskatonic hadn't locked away half of this stuff on a LAN, had to get a remote external am I saying this out loud?"

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

spacecrab
Fate Points: 3/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

"Do not worry about the cultists, I shall make sure they are very comfortable." spacecrab then presses the button which turns into a crane game joystick like at an arcade and begins scooping up the unconscious and groaning minions of pure evil Great grandpas family spat? with a claw from his mecha and placing them into the onboard lounge, it is very comfortable... if you are an appropriately sized spacecrab.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Amaryllis Armitage

Amy opens her mouth, but shuts it before saying something like 'well we don't exactly want you hanging around' or 'like your lazy dad ever does anything' or something similarly rude. Instead. she finally says, "Well, it sure was a good thing we were nosy this time, huh?", with a wave of her hand. "Don't worry, we're not gonna keep you, just, you know, make sure you're safe until this's blown over." She forces a grin, though it's a little eerie underneath a shadowed hood at night.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Jake Bass
Fate Points: 4

"Ah, hell," Jake cursed under his breath. Leave it to the monsters and cultists to take the coward's way out. Well, this thing seemed pretty arrogant, maybe he could fight fire with fire...?

"Hey ugly!" He called out. "Whatsamatter, scared of a little femme punk like me?" He cracked his neck as he motioned to his armor, currently split and hovering in pieces around him. "Hell, I'm even half-naked. That too much for you to handle?" He made a little "come on" gesture with his hands. "Let's settle this, big boy."

Defending with Provoke: 4dF+3 = 4

Invoking Sassier-Than-Thou for +2 = 6

Fate Points remaining: 3

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Lutwidge

There's a very awkward pause. Then Ruby rolls her eyes and sighs heavily.

"You're incorrigible, Aspen. Although I'm only saying that because it was the word of the day on my calendar." She snaps her fingers, and two more guards appear from seemingly nowhere. "Lock the cultist up. Lutwidge, I'd give you a black mark for this, but that's too 21st century for me. Besides... you've just volunteered for something I need doing. Something dangerous, involving lots of occult material."

Her grin, almost appropriately, is sharklike.

---

Jake Bass

The Tager snarls and hurls it's hostage aside, clearly affronted. Before it can move, however, you hear a thin, high vibration - something humans can't hear, but you perceive. The Tager hears it too, head cocked. A frown forms on its face, and it points, then makes a throat-slitting gesture at you, before turning and dashing into the darkness.

There's an awkward pause, and then the crowds below you cheer. Some teen girls take pictures.

---

The Rest

The call comes in. Back to Miskatonic. It's time to rebuild. Recover. And strike back.

And get some coffee. You'll need it.

MISKATONIC INC ISSUE 1: THE TEETH OF YOG SOTHOTH
Part 2 COMPLETE

Minor Milestone! You may swap the skill ratings of any two skills in one of your modes, replace one of your stunts or mega-stunts, or rewrite an aspect that isn’t your concept aspect.

Next part coming soon - stay tuned!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
MISKATONIC ISSUE #1 PART #3
START

GM Fate Points reset to 6, Reserve at 7.

Miskatonic Taiwan,
11:34 AM
Wednesday 19th November, 2135

Well this sucks.

quote:

MISKATONIC INCORPRATED
“The Future Is Bright”

CASE FILE #6399

ASSIGNED OPERATIVES
  • ARTHUR DOUGLAS
  • JED RASPERS
  • LUTWIDGE ASPEN
  • AMARYLLIS ARMITAGE
  • JAKE BASS
  • "SPACECRAB"
MISSION BACKGROUND
This case file has been generated as a response to the events in Taiwan as of last night. See linked files.

OPERATIVE OBJECTVES
  • ARTHUR DOUGLAS and AMARYLLIS ARMITAGE are assigned to Cult Tracking to determine potential site for either the location of the Order of the Fang, or for a ritual to summon of Yog-Sothoth.
  • LUTWIDGE ASPEN and SPACECRAB are assigned to Biology Department to determine exploitable vulnerabilities of Ta'Ge symbiotes.
  • JED RASPERS and JAKE BASS are to apprehend black market trader Sheih Shen, last seen in the Grande Hotel in downtown Taiwan.

OPERATION LEVEL AMBER
  • Operatives may do anything within Miskatonic Inc's Code of Conduct to complete the mission and have access to any equipment they need.

POSSIBLE HAZARDS
  • High Possibility of Sothothian cult involvement.
  • Unknown Factor - Sheih Shen may or may not co-operate with authorities. Proceed with caution.

LINKED FILES
  • Sothothian attack on Taiwan - summary
  • Lutwidge Aspen Disciplinary Record
  • Sheih Shen profile

drat. Desk jobs for the lot of you. At least you're all in contact with each other. Lutwidge and Spacecrab are in the biology lab, all white tiles and the corpse of a tager monster on the slab, and a lot of wonderful cutting instruments. Found anything yet?

Arthur and Amaryllis are in a fairly nice boardroom, having stolen it to plan. You've got a big map with pins and string and everything! Also the decor is nice, browns and dark wood and such. You can see Ruby in her office across the corridor - who's she talking to?

Spacecrab and Jed, you're in Miskatonic Taiwan's garage, getting ready to arrest a jerk. There's a lot of nice vehicles here. See anything you like?

This scene is planned to be a Brainstorm at some point - the topic is "How do we stop Yog-Sothoth?" You're all in contact via fancy future radio, so if you want to offer an idea, as per the Brainatorm rules, just post and spoiler or PM me your roll to determine a winner.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Raspers
FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOO

Couple days off, and now a new case on the pile, in addition to the ongoing "how do we stop the Gate and Key from popping in Taiwan?" one. Jed looked over the Sheih Shen profile as he and Jake Bass walked into the garage. For some reason, Jed felt ...unease with the kid. Didn't really know why. Perhaps it was remembering back on the boat how a beast that beat the poo poo out of him, while Bass destroyed another in a rainbow of pain. Perhaps the kid was still young, full of color and life, while Jed was...old and dead.

Nah, whatever ill feelings you got, they're irrational. Push 'em back Jed, you're on the clock and on a job. Be the professional.

And pick a drat car.

"Nope, ...nope...nope" Jed idly talks to himself as he scans the large array of vehicles arranged.

"Too small...too flimsy...too bright...too - ugh."

Then he stops, and if anyone had a camera, they could take a very rare picture of Jed Raspers smiling out of actual happiness.

"Perfect"

So with the two milestones Jed's got, it's time to change his Reanimated Aspect to Unnatural Nature.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Lutwidge has spent the time he SHOULD have spent washing up for the tager dissection staring at his new disciplinary record. It's, well...pretty long. Even before the incidents of the last day or so. Now it's...

"I should register a complaint over these!" He says to no one in particular. "What do you think, Spacecrab? Should I rail against this?" He sighs and gets up and heads to the sink. "I need to take my mind off this. Time to start cutting!"

He washes, grabs a laser scalpel, and begins to cut at a tager flesh...and the blade promptly burns out.

"Heh?! How the...okay, heavy artillery time! Where's the concrete saw?!"

I think I'll sit on my two minor milestones for now.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 5/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Desk work was never Arthur's favorite. His work was always better suited out on the field, getting in the nitty-gritty. Sure, he'd had his share of desk jobs over the years, but he wasn't exactly going to say he enjoyed them.

Though it gave him the chance to let his suit breathe a bit. The problem with a jumpsuit reinforced with armor and cobbled together servos was that you inevitably ran out of breathing room on it. He'd always thought about installing a cooling unit, but it'd involve completely re-doing the system from the ground up, which wasn't exactly something he had time for, especially if he and Amaryllis were to pin down either Tager HQ or an appropriate place to summon ol' Yoggy.

And, admittedly, the busy work kept his mind together a bit better than usual. Maybe the busy work was the key to keep his mind from wandering. Or maybe it was the cup of fresh black coffee he was slowly nursing, steam rising up to cloud his face. Could be either or. But he was much more interested in who Miss Leiggoth was talkin' to.

Notice - Arthur wants to sneak a peek at boss lady's friend.

He commented to Amaryllis as he watched, rubbing a shoulder idly.

"So, I never actually got to know how you do what it is you do, Armitage. What's your story? Figure we might as well get to know each other a little better while we're on Cult Duty."

I'm cashing in both of Arthur's Minor Milestones (now that I've read the rules and seen that what I wanted to do at first isn't feasible yet) - the APPROACH aspect is being changed from Old Reliable to The Walking Tank That Time Forgot, to emphasize Arthur's old-school equipment in this cyberpunk world, and his signature (Science) aspect is being switched from Genius is the Other Half of Madness to Clarity Through Caffeination.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 6, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Arthur

It's not too hard to see who the hologram is - it's Professor Francis Morgan, from the Massachusetts HQ of Miskatonic. He's a big name - the inventor of anti-hallucinogens, the cocktails of mescaline and LSD that combat the mind-altering powers of some of the nastier outer races, and he's a close friend of Professor Armitage to boot. You can't tell what he and Ruby are talking about, but if it's all the way from Arkham then a likely guess is that Miskatonic is pulling out all the stops to prevent Yog-Sothoth coming through. And so they should!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Amaryllis Armitage
Fate Points: 5 / 5

"Eh? Didn't you see?", Amaryllis says, looking up in her Leng: Where Everybody Is Delicious t-shirt. "I'm magical, y'know?" A bat-eye lands on her fingertip as she holds it up. "Helped out a big deal deity from the Dreamlands, and, well, still help him sometimes. There's kind of an old science, most people call it magic, but it's more like an old understanding of the universe that was developed a long time ago. It's why most of the Old Ones still run on it, 'cause they're old enough to complain about the lousy constellations we have today."

"And what's with you? That didn't look like any kind of combat armor I've seen. Couldn't you get Miskies to pony up for something other than a jazzed-up spacesuit?", she adds rather bluntly. "I mean you're a good shot, they ought to give you some newer equipment, y'know?" She waves a hand before looking at the whiteboard - an old name for a newer LED interface. "And what do you think of these Yoggies? I never really did understand these guys always tryin' to summon something bigger than their hometown. I wonder what they're getting out of it?"

Going to exchange Vehicles +1 for... Stealth +1 instead. And that's all!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 5/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Arthur let a chuckle excape himself. He wouldnt have ever believed that kind of magic back in his day. But one good question deserves another. "They probably could, but I've been using the Appro-Suit since my heydays as an on-site troubleshooter." He explains as he goes over the map. "I made it for the company I was working for at the time, for on-site technical work. But I had to make mine a little more... durable, when I got involved in my first big job." He sips his coffee. "It was a job at a factory, the group I was a part of was trapped for a week. I was the only one to make it out of there, and it was thanks to bolting scrap to my appro-suit and having handy power tools to take down whatever came my way."

He runs a hand through his hair, sighing. "You can take a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink, I suppose. When the company went under, I did feeelance work dealing with the occult and cultist types, but I never did learn what the guys at Factory 7 were a part of, exactly. They were after smart people. The Yoggies actually remind me of them, though... the ones I faced weren't alive."

He laughs a bit. "I'll probably upgrade when the ol' Appro-suit wears out on me. But I like my jazzed-up spacesuit. And I wouldnt trust anything made by anyone else to keep me safe. You could call it relying on an old science in a different way."

As to the Yoggies' motives, Arthur's a bit more blunt. "Ascension, probably. They likely think Yog'll bless them if they bring him out to go to town on the world or somethin'. Maybe with knowledge beyond their comprehension or something."

"But, really," He leans forward, brow furrowing. "Ruby might be taking the time and bandwidth to put a call in to Professor Morgan from Arkham," He nods towards where they could see her. "But there's only so much he can do half a world away. We need to figure out just where in Taipei these guys would be able to summon ol' Yog. Just need to figure out where to start."

Monathin fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 8, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Miskatonic Taiwan

Ruby's call is rudely interrupted when her hologram fizzles, blinks out for a moment, and then snaps on again.

quote:

Cthulhu Ry'leh
Concept Aspect: Head of the Ry'leh Family
Other Aspects: Ex-High Priest, ???, ???, ???

There's an angry shout - Cthulhu's voice reverberates through the door of the room in sheer rage.

"WHERE IS MY DAUGHTER?!"

Ruby's response isn't audible, but it's very curt and clearly in no mood to be hosed with. The two enter a very heated debate. Oh, right, Cthylla. She's in custody at the moment, more for her protection than having actually done anything wrong - but daddy clearly doesn't see it that way.

---

The Lab

EXPLOSIONS

Well no, but Lutwidge has finally found something that can get through the Tager's tough shell - one of Spacecrab's heavy duty lasers he had lying around, that should probably be hooked up to his mecha but isn't anymore. The resulting cut is very messy, hence EXPLOSIONS, but you're in?

Er, what do you find? It's very messy inside. It's like a human made bigger, but there's a lot of things inside you don't know the names of in interesting colors. At least you've got a subject for that paper now. What do you find in the chest cavity of the creature?

---

Waiting on Spincut to post to advance the section with Jed, otherwise I'll hurry you along on Friday.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Amaryllis Armitage

"Whatever they think they're gettin' out of it, we better figure out-" is about as far Amy gets before the loud interruption, squinting. "- oh, that guy." She pauses for a moment, and then continues. "Well, they were all working together, weren't they? I wonder if Lutwidge heard anything on his date?" That's a straightforward way of putting it. Opening up a laptop, she taps away at the touchscreen, and then expands the holo-interface out a bit to be more visible as she waits to see if she can get a visual as well as audio. "Hey, Doc, you mind having us peek in while I ask you a couple of questions?"

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

spacecrab

spacecrab has been waiting patiently for this having set up a large amount of tools that look suspiciously victorian in nature... or prehaps just from a jewellers workshop, regardless the universal acid will not need to be used in this case, and anyway that tends to burn straight to the core of the planet when let out of its gravity jar. "We have breech Mr. No-Sense-of-Saefty Lutwidge." Then producing a long stick with a few leaves on it he begins poking the more obviously nonhuman organs inside the tagers chest cavity.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Wah!" Lutwidge shields his eyes from the explosions and shoves away some sensitive looking equipment. "Warn me when you're going to do that, buddy! This stuff is expensive!" *Ring ring!* "Like that! That's laptop's expensive! Hey Amaryllis, Spacecrab got it open! He had to blow the shell up!"

And with that he smoothly transitions back into the happy dissecty mode. "Okay, Ammy, shoot any questions you got. Now let's see here...wow, this is a lot of musculature...two hearts...geez, the nerves on this guy are like fiber optics!" He reaches in up to his shoulder. "Now where's...that...symbiote...?"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Lutwidge and Spacecrab

Lutwidge manages to grab ahold of the symbiote! It looks kind of like the eel, except a ghostly translucent orange, kind of like a jellyfish. It feels like wet rubber in your grip, and is most definitely not an organ that belongs in a human body. Also, it smells terrible. Ew.

---

Jake Bass and Jed Raspers

After an argument about the car (old and busted vs new hotness), you wisely decide to just pick what Jed likes (new and busted) and make your way out.

The Grande Hotel is flocked with socialites, the rich and maybe famous. In these days, when everyone can vlog their way to superstardom, the crowd’s average age is a lot younger than it used to be. Some of them even recognise Jake Bass, with various screams and catcalls. The camera-drones buzzing around their heads turn to capture your faces - hopefully, automated web scrapers will blur out your presence before they hit the information superhighway.

Your PDAs fill you in - its a charity event, donating to a hospital that specializes in replacement limbs. Shen is probably there just to flaunt his wealth - whether or not he actually cares about new claws for Migo hatchlings is debatable. Your job is to find him and quietly cart him away to ask him some questions about the jamming device from the Hopeful Sunset. Ideally, the brief adds, with a minimum of disturbance and fuss.

Hahaha, yeah, right.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Amaryllis Armitage

Amy makes a face as she looks on at the vivisection. Looking up to Arthur, she holds a hand in front of her face to block her view of it for a moment. "Wouldn't one place be as good as another, if they're just lookin' to use a relation t'open the gate? Still, I guess they'd want to have some theatre, cultists like to make a big show of that kind of thing, y'know?"

To Ludwidge, she asks, "Those two you took out for, ah, a dateterrogation, what didja find out? Do we have any idea who they were followin' yet? We know this wasn't their idea... we need t'find who's in charge. Then we'll have our cult."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Lutwidge gives a bit of a tug, and pulls the symbiote out of the body like a fisherman hauling up a big catch! Tadah! Victory! ...what is that smell? And is it still twitching?!

"Hoy, spacecrab!" he calls out as he transfers the matured organism to a lined tray. "Watch that for a sec, will ya? I'm going to get out the immature versions."

As he turns to the labratory refridgerator, he continues talking to Amaryllis. "Well, we know they're with the Order of the Fang. But those guys are crazy decentralized. And I'm guessing from the attacks yesterday that they have some connection with Yog Sothoth...hey, is that the Big Man himself over there? Gimme a sec..."

He sets the specimen jars on the table and walks over to the intercom. "Attention, guard post A! Send down the detainees for a routine medical checkup, would ya! Bei, Tai, and, uh...Cthylla as well! We forgot to screen them yesterday, and I want to make sure they haven't gotten something infectious!" He lets go of the button. "Hope they still trust me after last night..."

No more plants in the Misky servers. Sad days.

I guess it's time to go double plus HUMINT. And maybe Cthulhu can see his daughter through the webcam? Lying again (Deceive +2): 4dF+2 2

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Raspers
FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOO

As people (and videocamers) turned his way and screams for Jake Bass started up, Jed reflexively wanted to hide in his trenchcoat. Part of him wanted his anonymity and it's hard to blend in the crowd if you're face is splattered on screen, part was scared because once again he was the old man in a room full of youngsters. Hoo boy.

Hopefully the kids would fawn over Jake and leave him alone to vanish. Okay, get to the party, find Sheih Shen, extract him, and extract the info. Should be easy, right?

As the screams for Jake go on, Jed slinks away and starts to roam the hallways. Ritzy hotels like this got staff who work here, do their jobs, blend in. People with info who most others ignore. Time to ask around, try to make friends.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Lutwidge and Co.

Cthulhu's image flicks into being at the same time as the camera feeds from the cells, showing Tai, Bei and Cthylla as they're ushured from the cells. His eyes narrow, taking in every atom of Lutwidge's existence. You're very glad of the screen between you and him.

"If even so much as a tentacle is out of place, mortal," he spits, "You'll be very... sorry."

"You are in no position to make threats to my employees, Ry'leh!" Ruby's image flicks on, furious. "One more remark like that and this conversation is over."

The being's eyes burn. Looks like you're On Cthulhu's poo poo List, Lutwidge, buddy. (Mild consequence) His image shrinks into a corner as Ruby starts bringing up mission data, shoving him out of the conversation.

"Okay." Ruby takes a deep breath. "Now, let's start hearing some ideas. I've been talking to suits all day, and I want something that isn't hand wringing or outright denial. Where are the Order of the Fang going to summon Yog-Sothoth?

Brainstorm time! Anyone who wants in and has a relevant aspect gets a Fate Point for joining in. Make a roll with a relevant Science/Magic/Whatever skill and either spoiler it here or PM it to me. The winner gets to mark a umber of victories and establish a Fact. See the Brainstorms section of the rules for more.

---

Jed and Jake

The hotel foyer is Busy and Noisy, as the various bloggers and idols and internet celebrities talk poo poo and drink whatever passes for alcohol nowadays. Some of these kids are young enough to be your own children, Jed - or, at least, if you ever had any. Celebrity culture doesn't care, though. Most are leaning on the Sturdy Pillars that hold up the roof. Its a pretty charged atmosphere - everyone's sizing each other up, seeing who can get deals, scoops, or one-up the competition. Bodyguards are hanging around, amking sure nobody lays a finger on their paychecks.

In the middle of the room is this thing.

It's a Muvian War Golem, bronze polished to a painful shine. It's not active, and probably won't ever be. Shen is known for collecting up Muvian junk to show it off - he's definitely here. Question is, where?

---

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Amaryllis Armitage
Fate Points: 6 / 5

"It definitely is Yog-Sothoth... but..." Amy sighs. "... I don't know any place that's really special to them like Leng or R'lyeh. I don't know if Yog-Sothoth has really had a presence on Earth before, y'know? Given that we've still got an Earth here, anyway."

Starting out the Brainstorm rolls with Shining Soldier of Unknown Kadath and Occult and a total of 2, which is pretty dire. I won't worry about rerolling yet, though, go ahead and take the lead if you can!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Been violently ill some more, anyway brainstorm

spacecrab

"I actually know some things on meta spatial transport rituals! we use a much more simple butstable one in the Gateway of Naming Sojourns back among my people. Also my handbook has some neat diagrams!" *spacecrab holds up his space scouts book to the camera which shows off some mildly vomit inducing images from its digital display* "anyway" says spacecrab waving his claws excitedly. "A being such as Yoggie who has relatively few connections to this planet and time/space area will require significantly more powerful rituals and correspondingly larger and more complex ritual patterns to be laid down to strengthen the interplanetary transport when it occurs!"

using my handbook which I think is relevant, and I will use my Signature aspect SPACE CRAB, BEYOND THE DISTANT STARS since a randomized teleport gateway that dumps you in some very very distant place is basically a reverse summoning ritual. For my skill I pick the science of Meta-Physical Transport (+1) and get a total of 6, Take that Jake bass I get all the +'s this time

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Raspers
FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOO

Jed slinks into the crowd, on the lookout for Shen. Spotting the Muvian War Golem, Jed figured Shen had to be close by - he'd be nearby to brag and show it off. So where would a show-off braggart be?

Time to roll Notice +4 to try to spot Shen in the crowd. Total = 8 ...that should do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 5+1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO
Mild: On Cthulhu's poo poo List

"Uh, sure thing, Mr. Ry'leh, sir," Lutwidge manages to gulp as he raises a finger to his lab coat's collar. What is this strange sinking feeling in his chest? Is it...fear? Of what?! Cthulhu's not going to kill him--he's not the one who did anything to his daughter! So why does he feel so tight around his neck? "Uh, we'll make sure she's fine. Yeah..."

Focus on something else, Lutwidge! Do something with your mind that isn't thinking about the big man on the floor above while Bei, Tai, and Cthylla are coming down! Uh...right, the cultist ritual site! He calls up a map of the city again...this is Yog Sothoth we're talking about here, so it can't just be a parking lot. The site would have to be home to a lot of life...hmm...where on the map would that fit...?

Lutwidge will also use his baseline Science of +3--maybe geology, or demographic biology, or something--and try to make a stab at what the site should be. I'll compel Sufficiently Advanced Thinking Indistinguishable from Madness to get in on the brainstorm.
Science for the Brainstorm!: 4dF+3 5 Hmm...it's all yours, Spacecrab.

• Locked thread