Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas, Sole Survivor of Factory 7

Monathin posted:

pre:
Arthur 'Artie' Douglas, Sole Survivor of Factory 7

Aspects And Modes:
  • Concept: Mad Artie, Professional Repairman
  • APPROACH (+3): Old Reliable
  • Science (+2): Genius Is The Other Half Of Madness*
  • Survival (+1): Escaped Sacrifice
  • Omega: Every Day is a Bad Day
APPROACH:
  • Skills (8 Points): Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Science (Electronic Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering), Vehicles
Survial:
  • Skills (7 Points): Athletics, Contacts, Notice, Physique, Rapport, Will
Skills: Athletics +4, Combat +5, Contacts +1, Electrical Engineering +4, Electronic Engineering +4, Mechanical Engineering +5, Notice +5, Physique +5, Rapport +1, Occult Sciences +4, Other Sciences +2, Vehicles +3, Will +4 Stress: Physical: O O O O Mental: O O O Stunts:
  • Signature Aspect: Genius Is The Other Half Of Madness
  • I've Got A Job To Do: Once per scene, you may check a physical stress box to absorb mental harm.
  • Mad Artie's Custom 'Bolt-Action' Rivet Gun: +1 To create an advantage with Combat when using it to immobilize or hinder a target. Weapon:2
  • Old-School Retro-Fitting: With enough ingenuity, and handy access to spare parts, you can adapt any piece of hardware for any situation. Replace one (and only one) of a hardware's stunts or mega-stunts with another of your choosing. If this adds more stunt benefits than it had before you messed with it, each additional one costs a fate point. The new stunt or mega-stunt lasts until the end of the issue, then vanishes.
  • Mega Hardware: Applied Powered Repair Operations and Adaptive Carapace for Handymen (APPROACH)
    • Function: Adaptive Powered Hazard Suit
    • Flaw: Held Together With Duct Tape And Prayer
    • Hazard Grade Powered Servos: +2 to overcome or create an advantage using Physique, Armor:2
    • Kinetic Modules: You can attack using Mechanical Engineering to fire a concussive blast of weaponized kinetic force, but at a cost. You also gain a +1 to overcome with Mechanical Engineering when using Kinetic Modules would allow you to move otherwise impossibly heavy equipment.
    • They Don't Make Them Like That Anymore: Absolutely more durable than a normal human BUT slow and bulky. (-1 to overcome or defend with Athletics)
CONSEQUENCES:
  • Mild (-2):
  • Moderate (-4):
  • Severe (-6):
FATE POINTS: 5/5

Arthur may not be one being fawned over by some younger types, but that was just as good to him. There was something to be said for being considered one of the few normies in Miskatonic. His APPROACH desplayed a built in holopad on the chest - the one concession that he had to make with keeping his old jumpsuit was giving it a new set of modern day functions to allow him to read the mission statements. He reluctantly accepted, with the counter-claim that he put it on himself. He didnt trust anyone else with his suit. Of course that made his stomach drop into a pit when he heard how likely it was for cultists to be involved. Just his rotten luck.

Arthur doesnt so much "touch" down on the creaking ship as slam down, though the roar of the storm keeps it more muffled than it should. His helmet flickers on, a blueish glow coming out from his visor as the heads-up-display comes to life, just in time for "spacecrab" to come back and deliver his report. 3 meters tall? Great. He's glad he brought the rivet gun.

"Keep alert, then. Visibility is hell in this weather, so the chances of us missing something big like that are still pretty good." The armored jumpsuit holding off the bite of the worst of the weather, Arthur trudgingly makes his way across the deck, heavy boots echoing as he gives the sillouhette of a diver's suit as thunderclaps flash across the night sky.

Rolling Physique:
[03:29] (Mondroid) .roll 4dF+5
[03:29] (+skybot) Mondroid: 9 (4dF+5=+, +, +, +)

Monathin fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas

He turns back to the eyeball real quick, giving it a quizzical look.

"Look, I don't know if these eyeballs also have ears, but if something jumps out of the sink and goes for me with a knife, just let the others know. Crab said something about hull damage down below, figure we might wanna make sure this thing isnt going to go under with us on board."

Looking around amidst the flickering lights, Arthur's eyes strained as his nose caught the whiff of the strange smell. Eugh. Between that and the flickering lights, this was starting to feel like Factory 7.

"Don't know if you have a nose either, but something in here reeks. I'm gonna check it out before I head below deck. Might give you guys a chance to catch up."

He belatedly realozed he was giving commands to a floating shadowy eyeball. Some days he wonders about the type of people Misk recruits.

Flipping on the suit's sensors, Arthur takes a look around the Galley and the area beyond, trying to find amything notable - namely the source of the smell, despite his misgivings.

Rolling Notice:
[01:50] (Mondroid) .roll 4dF+5
[01:50] (+skybot) Mondroid: 6 (4dF+5=-, 0, +, +)

Monathin fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 20, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

BOOST CREATED: Arthur Douglas has Seen This poo poo Before.

Yeah, this was definitely not a good situation, Arthur knew as much from experience. Big, bulky, spindly sonuvabitch charges into range of a couple of bodies with decent firearms but not enough time to pump hot lead into the thing. He can remember a couple cases like that in Factory 7. Not the greatest moment.

"Yeah, poo poo." He acknowledges Jed's reaction - much the same as his own - before watching him head out. Amaryllis comes in over the communicator, and he at least acknowledges the point, talking to the eyeball.

"Well, if the rest of crew would hurry over instead of slacking on the deck, I suppose we'd be able to get going quicker. More to the point, did you see anything with these eyes of yours while surveying the deck? I'm not exactly betting on survivors, here."

He kind of grabbed the grip of his custom riveting gun uneasily. Bullets were too small and quick for this sort of thing. No, to put a dent in these guys, you needed something with a lot more heft, that's what he'd had found. Might not get all the way through them, but it puts a hell of a lot more stopping power into them - and when you got who knows what charging to crush you, stopping power is what you really want.

"Besides, if whatever is down in the holds is still tearing up the ship, we're gonna need to deal with him sooner, rather than later."

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas

Vaguely hearing commotion on the outside, he moves to the entrance of the Accomodation Deck for a moment - as much as he rushed ahead, he was a little bit concerned that they hadn't made it inside yet - there was a storm after all.

And then he got to catch a glimpse of monsters crawling all over the deck, especially the one pinning Jeb, he quickly reaches for his Rivet Gun, planning to place some well-placed bullets into the big guy's backside-

Until he sees a flare of a comet come down on the spindly one and the crab shoot up off one of the crates and go for the big one's eyes.

Arthur allows himself a small smile as he lowers the makeshift weapon. Well, good to know he wasn't the only person prepared for a brawl.

He turned himself around, talking to the eyeball still following him.

"This thing seems like it's one bad brawl from falling apart at the seams, so be careful. When you guys are wrapped up, head in here and dry off and figure out where you wanna go from there. I'm gonna try and see if I can't get some work done in the Engine Room - if I can't fix something down there, it can't -be- fixed, and I'm thinkin' that might spell problems if things get worse...which they will."

He moves to the ladders, grabbing the one headed below deck. Engine Room should be just below, it's probably not a bad idea to find out what the damage is down there. He keeps his cobbled-together gun nearby, scanning as he heads his way down below.

Moving to the Engine Room to search things out!

Notice: Scanning the Ending-I mean Engine Room: 5, not good enough! I invoke Artie's Seen This poo poo Before Boost - Monsters and machines in disrepair are old hat to Artie, he knows what to look for.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 25, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas is (B) At Home Among Machines.

He feels the ship rock as what he assumes Bass lands his hit. Jeez, no wonder the kid was so popular, that had to have been a hell of a hit. He was right to be worried about how much punch this team packed, this wasn't a ship made to deal with super-kicks and laser blasts.

A quick scan reveals the Engine Room to be in a lot better shape than he thought. They hadn't been cycled for a while, and he's nearly ready to get them up and running before he catches something under the cooling. What kind of fool would block the airflow under a coolant pi-

Oh.

Oh.

"You still listening, Amaryllis?" He talks back to that eyeball. "Found something interesting in the engine room. Might be why Misk couldn't get a bead on this place before sending us in - looks like someone didn't want us to find it. I'm gonna crack it open and see what I can do."

He was starting to get used to the eyeball, at least it gave him a reason to talk to himself, as he procured some simple tools from the wristguard on his APPROACH and started to poke the thing open.

Rolling Science - Electronic Engineering to tinker with the Scrying Jammer! 0+4=4, and I'm invoking At Home Among Machines for a Reroll!

Oh poo poo, that wasn't the right wire.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 26, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 5/5
Consequences: Suit's On The Fritz (-2)

Well, the first surprise is the thing fights back - a pulse of what he assumes was a low-grade electromagnetic pulse, and the old APPROACH is flashing warning lights and glitched graphics on the HUD. Brilliant. He'd probably have to soft reboot the power system - not something easily done when he's -in- the drat thing, and the startup time on it takes forever, what with going through ten thousand dated startup procedures. Ugh. What the hell did everyone get so caught up in that they didn't even make it inside?

And who the hell said he wasn't allowed a cup of coffee before the flight? He's gonna need one when he gets back, and gonna give whoever told him "No Coffee" a piece of his mind...

Assuming he's still talking to the floating eyeball, Arthur talks while futzin' with the Jammer.

"Ugh, dammit. Got fried by a pulse. I'm alright, but the suit's gone a bit haywire on me. Gonna need someone to help me soft reset the thing. I'm heading through the holds and making my way back up to the deck, as soon as I'm- hold on."

It takes a moment, but he peels apart the surface look and peeks inside.

Well... that's interesting.

"Well, I have good news and bad news, Amaryllis. Bad news is I know Mi-Go tech when I see it. -Good- news is this thing looks like it was built by someone who had no clue what the hell they were doing, not to mention there's a few little cobbled bits together here and there - either someone had to put this together on the fly or they scooped it off the black market for extra cheap, so I think we can cross the Royalists off the list off those involved."

Scooping the jammer into his arms like a small sportlike sphereoid, he makes his way to the doors marked for the No. 5 Hold. Might as well scope out down below before he climbs back up to rejoin with the group, he figures.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 28, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 5/5 -> 4/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences: Suit's On The Fritz (-2)

Clanking into Hold 3, Arthur immediately feels more on edge, there's no mistaking a ritual site when he sees one - and Jake and Lutwidge are talking to what he can only assume to be the people who would be using said circle. On one hand, they're alive. On the other, they're... very strange. Clearly not normal - if the shifting muscle mass under the one was anything to go by. And then the radio chatter lights up. He's a little glad for it, to be honest, he taps the side of his helmet to open his comms.

"Be careful, Amaryllis." He warns as Jeb comes in to say nearly the same thing. "You give a shout if you need something, I'll be up there as quick as I can."

Regarding Jeb's call for a radio shoutout, Arthur fills him in. "Bass, Aspen and I are all in Hold 3. There's a makeshift ritual site here and a couple of people they're chattin' up. Seems a bit strange to me, though. Fifteen Tager eggs popped, you said? Think this little ritual is worth lookin' at."

He's not gonna say he thinks they're stalling for time... but they're probably stalling for time. And with Tagers loose... Ugh. He looks around at the Altar and the makeshift ritual site, deftly ignoring the others in the hold, except to look at Jake.

"Give me a second to figure this out, and I'll head up there and give her a hand."

Time to put his experience to work.

Occult Sciences to Investigate the Ritual Site: +3

He gritted his teeth, he knew ritual sites before, god knows he's had to trudge through more than a dozen of them in his career before signing up with Misk. There's gotta be something he finds familiar...

Invoke: Escaped Sacrifice for a Reroll.

Still nothin'. but all the brain wracking he's doing leads him to look... strangey. He's peering over his shoulder, as if he thinks something is about to jump him. His eyes dart to the shadows, his breathing a little quieter. He knows he knows he knows they are there he knows they are watching. Memories of Factory 7 flood back to him as he tries to piece together the ritual, his mental state a little worse for the wear as personal experience floods back to him.

Invoke: I'm using my Signature Aspect: Genius is the Other Side of Madness for a free invoke and a +2, to bring that up to a +5.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 30, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 4/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences: Suit's On The Fritz (-2)

It took a few moments for Arthur to put the pieces together, but his brain whirrs to life, as he suddenly shows himself to be much quicker than he thought, turning to Jake as he whirls around in a miniature frenzy.

"It's a Rite of Sacred Union. Sothothian ritual. Convince the strongest of the crew to become Tagers, and the use a rushed ritual to turn the rest into dumb muscle to overtake the ship. That's what I had found in the Galley. We should be care-"

Then there's a roar. And a panicked crab screeching over the comms.

God loving dammit, he -really- needed a cup of joe.

"...Nevermind." He whirls around to Tai, trying not to be -too- harsh, but he can already feel the survival mechanisms kick into gear. "Stay here." With a hastily appended. "Don't want you to get hurt."

He moves to the closed Hold 3 hatch. Good to have kept the rain out, bad to have closed us down there. No time to get up that ladder and force it open, he taps his cheek and opens his comms.

"I'm coming up on deck. Look for the flying tin can."

His arms go down to his sides, outstretched as the wrist-mounted kinetic modules come to life. The suit continues to spit out warnings and fault diagnosis. Ugh, he -really- is gonna need to reboot that thing once they get a moment of quiet.

And with a sound that sounds like an air cannon with a lot more force thahn it should ever have, Arthur launches his full tin can self at the door to the hold. Just one though gets through his adrenaline-charged mind as he shoots out and into the cold, rain-filled air.

This... might hurt a bit.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 4/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences: Suit's On The Fritz (-2)

There's the bad days....

Physique Roll = 6

And then there's the really bad days.

Arthur is right behind Jeb, but whereas Jeb manages to slide between the gaps, Arthur clearly does not give the slightest hint of a gently caress, slamming his shoulder into the oncoming crate and forcing it aside as he heads towards the crane controls.

Okay, whatever the Cap'n was, he was -mean-, and he was tough. But this was a boat that clearly was equipped to handle such problems, and Arthur was equipped to deal with that equipment.

Charging his way over to the Crane controls, he cracks his knuckles and gets at the controls. Large heavy machinery? Feels like another day on the job.

Create An Advantage: Mechanical Engineering = 5.

There's some shouting by Arthur over the wind and the rain as the crane comes to life, aiming for the not-so-good cap'n to create an aspect of Deadliest Catch!

"HEY GANG! HEADS UP!"

Monathin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 2, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Phone posting, so I can't get too fancy, but Arthur takes the compel, boosting his FP back up to 5 as he bickers and fights sith his suit.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 5/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences: Suit's On The Fritz (-2)

With the captain surrendering, Arthur lowers his stance a bit - still grumbling as he fights with his suit.

"Alright, so, I can't be the only one who thinks it's probably not in anyone's best interest to hand over a boat full of Tager eggs, crates of weapons, and a bona-fide Yog-Sothothian ritual site, right? I say we kick this baby back on line and steer her towards one of Miskatonic's coastal offices for... uh, 'safe impounding.'"

He won't deny part of him just wants to fiddle in the engine room and get the ship working back at full capacity. The engines were still functioning! Ten minutes (okay, be reasonable, thirty to an hour without a cup of coffee...) and he could probably get the boat at least running. Maybe not at 100%, but nothing too shabby.

Arthur does a scan of the ship (Notice) to see how well it's faring and whether or not it's in a good enough shape to run, with a +6

He hefts the jammer in the air and goes "Whatever we do with the ship, this is coming back with us to Misk, more often than not tech like that has a paper trail, and if the desk jockies can get a lead on it we can find out who was supplying these guys."

He kind of rolls his shoulders a bit. "Speaking of, anyone want to help me reboot my suit? There's a turn gear on the back between the shoulder blades that should power it down and back up. Might have to dig through some of the armor plates, though."

Monathin fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 8, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 5/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Arthur figures someone has to hail the crazy pilot and let them know that they're plus one boat, so he opens up his comms and hails the pilot.

"Hey, uh. There's a lot of stuff we need to clear out of this boat. Ritual sites need to be looked over, some serious contraband needs to be examined. Y'know, classic Miskie paperwork after the dust has settled. We should get this hunk of junk into the port easy enough."

Speaking of, Arthur should -really- look into those engines. Looks like Amy has the captain tied up enough, and the lackies look like they're gonna follow Jake and Lutwidge. No need to deal with them - he gives them passing nod. He also waves at Spacecrab.

"When you're done, you wanna get up to the bridge and start getting us into port? Misk Thailand shouldn't be far from here. I'll make sure the engines are good and ready to roll.

He heads through the galley, waving at Jed raiding the fridge as he snags something he didn't notice on his first run through - a coffee pot. Instant coffee is better than nothing.

"I'm gonna need this. You'll know why in a second."

Going down to the Engine Room, his suit flickers back to life, scanning the engines. "Needed Maitenance?" Let's fix that. He cracks his knuckles, and finds a place to set the coffee pot.

Mechanical Engineering! - 8! Pretty sure that's a Success With Style, let's go with "Turbo-Charged By Coffee!"

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 5/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Considering the area they're in is now 'safe', Arthur has felt more comfortable downgrading into his civilian APPROACH jumpsuit - at least around the Misk base and headquarters. Going out has taught him to always be prepared for the worst, but here? Well, he figures if Misk is gonna be attacked on-site, they have bigger problems than him being underdressed.

The pay was nice, but it was just a side effect to a job well-done, and that's what Arthur had always been about. There was always a bigger job to do - he could admit he liked protecting people, but that was more because a well-done job is a safe job. He wasn't the type to stand in parades and get fawned over by the masses. Of course, everyone else was relaxed, and with a good night's sleep and a cup of fresh-brewed coffee, not even grumpy ol' Arthur could be in a bad mood. He had even ditched his helmet for the time being - and he didn't look half-bad out of it, at least.

He wanted to hear what the desk jockeys had learned from the examination of the boat - as well and maybe pay a visit to Xinyi District - he could use some entertainment. Before the tech-talk and the night on the town, he had to pay a visit to the people keeping the team still employed.

Still keeping his comm on his, he gave the crew a heads up. "I'm gonna chat up the bosses a bit before I head out on the town. You guys enjoy yourselves."

The top brass may think Arthur's a bit of a nutter, but, well, someone had to talk about where they were going from here, and it might as well be him.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas

If Arthur seems phased by her lack of smile and otherwise otherwoldly demenaor, he doesn't show it. He does nod at her compliments of a job well done. Always nice to be getting compliments from the top brass for stuff like that. Makes a job worth doing.

Of course, she'd have questions. He didn't know Lutwidge had gone that far with his investigations into the Ta'Ge, but that doesn't surprise him. He remembers being that energetic about his own college pursuits. He speaks up after she's done showing him the photos.

"As far as I can tell, our knowledge on Ta'Ge is... rather incomplete. I'm no Xenobiologist myself, but it doesn't surprise me Lutwidge would go to such lengths. He's a good guy, just... energetic. And maybe a few bolts shy of solid, but really, I don't think anyone here can claim they aren't. I don't necessarily approve of him smuggling them off the ship, but I figure he's trying to complete the knowledge as best he's able. I'll talk with him and make sure he gets any notes to the desk jockies, but beyond that, I think it's well enough to give him a slap on the wrist and space to conduct his research, so long as he doesn't do anything... too outlandish."

Tager Lutwidge could be a minor issue, after all. He straightens his jumpsuit a bit, with regards to Spacecrab...

"To tell you the truth, I don't know a whole lot about Spacecrab, but he seems to be on a journey for his home planet, and it seems aligning himself with us is part of that mission. He's certainly eager enough to prove himself, and he's not shown any malice towards anyone in the crew. I'd say that's good enough for me, and having a giant exosphere-capable craft on his side doesn't hurt."

Time to build some Rapport with Ruby! I'm gonna create an advantage of Professional On The Job, to try and ease some pressure off him and the crew.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas

Che, top brass, they're all the same. 'I run a tight ship' this and 'I won't stand for insubordination' that. Well-Means was the same way. If they knew how many times Arthur had to get messy and outside the boundaries to do his job, HR would have had more of a conniption fit over him than they had already. Arthur refrained from rolling his eyes, leaning forward as he brace an arm on his lap.

"Yeah, I get that, Boss." He says, careful to pick his words, she might have the standard bullshit, but he wasn't gonna be -too- hostile towards her. Good working environment breeds better workers, and all. "But look, we've got two captives from that ship who don't exactly look like the pinnacle of raving mad cultists - and believe me, I have experience with that type. I'm gonna hazard a guess that jamming a Ta'ge in your head ain't gonna turn anyone's personality backwards. If that's our worst case scenario, I'm not worried - he might have some time gettin' used to being part weirdo, but I can't see him turning on us the moment that thing worms in his brain."

He leans back again, giving her a look.

"Course, I'll do what I can to make sure he doesn't go that far, but I figure you've got bigger things to worry about than a self-experimenting xeno-biologist when the worst case scenario is you got a Jekyll and Hyde type Doc for a field team, get what I'm getting at?"

Defend time! Rapport! Arthur's not the smoothest smooth-talker, but a 1 still beats Ruby's attempt to create an advantage on him.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas

Arthur shakes his head at the mention of 'external interrogation', sounds like wining and dining their new pals, to him. He's not gonna tell the boss lady about that, though. Oh, Lutwidge.

She does speak up about the ritual on the boat, and his eyes sort of light up, nodding as he strokes his trimmed-up stubble. "Yeah, Sothothian without a doubt. Databanks says it was a Rite of Sacred Union, usual way to bind with the Ta'Ge parasites, but it looks... definitively rushed, comparatively. I didn't get a good look if there was much more out of the ordinary than that, but near as I can tell, they rushed the ritual to have a bunch of low-intelligence raging brutes as muscle on the boat. The ritual itself was -massive-, bigger than most I've seen, the entirety of one of the cargo holds was dedicated to it."

He pauses, leaning back a bit. "It's also why I made the call to get that boat back here to Misk. It'd be one thing if it was just the ritual -or- the Ta'Ge eggs, but handing both pieces of the puzzle to Jade Star struck me as... unwise."

While he's with the boss, he might as well ask about the nagging little idea in his head. "Not to interrupt the grilling about the ritual site, but you know if the desk jockies got a lead on a paper trail for that Mi-Go jammer I hauled off that thing? That thing didn't look standard issue in the least."

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 5/5 -> 4/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Time for Arthur to take a hunch - Occult Sciences! That's... less than ideal, so we'll invoke Escaped Sacrifice for a Re-Roll! Much better.

Arthur's been around the block enough times to know what's up. When she says the cults have been quiet recently in Taipei, his eyes light up. His whole body seems to tense up, as he grits his teeth. That plus the big need for quick muscle...

"With all do respect, Miss Leiggoth. I think you ought to scatter any available field agents - now." his voice is on edge, his mannerisms quicker than the drawl he was using. This was the face of a man who had seen too many little cult-busts go south from a moment's hesitation. "If they were desperate enough to convert a whole barge of crew on the fly into muscle, I'm guessing we don't have a lot of time. Best I can figure is we've got something big headed our way."

He stands up. Why did he switch into his civvie gear, never a dull moment. "I hate to cut and run, but now that I'm thinking of it, we need the rest of the team, cause I got a hunch that we're gonna see some serious poo poo before the night's out. Forward Shieh Shen's info to my wearable, I'll make a run by the tech district as I head out."

With that, he gives a courteous, professional nod, before quickly striding out of Leiggoth's office. One he's clear, there's a full blown sprint. It's time to suit up and get running, no telling how much time is on the clock.

Though an intern might notice a fresh cup of coffee in the break room is mysteriously missing.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 4/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Miskatonic Senior Operative Arthur Douglas - Launching!

Arthur reads the file as he moves. His suit might be big and bulky, but that's what the palm mounted kinetic energy modules are for. His feet planted to the city streets as he effectively blasts himself across roads and launching himself into the air over blockades. Hey, Tanks could reach speeds of 50 miles per hour if you really gunned 'em, no reason why a guy in a tank suit couldn't do the same.

He makes a beeline for the Xinyi district - Ta'Ge attacks in the entertainment district are bad enough news, but he was gonna head that way anyway to check things out. Ugh, what a night to split up, he taps on his radio and punches his ID in.

"Hey! Jeb, Amar, Lutwidge, Jake, Spacecrab! You all alright? poo poo sounds like it's going down everywhere, we've got a good chance of seeing some serious hardcore poo poo tonight! Where's everyone at?"

He shouts into his radio as he power slides around a corner, gritting his teeth. This was getting ridiculous.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 7, 2015

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 4/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Wait a minute- these weren't tagers that were running rampant on the streets.

Occult Sciences! - With a 4, Arthur realizes the big picture, here! Which is-

"This isn't just tagers, gang. I think Yog himself is making a move on Taipei!" Arthur cries into his radio. He bites back a curse. Sothoth pulling something like that is almost certainly the opposite of good, and with any luck, Leiggoth was scrambling the other Miskie field agents as they went, he was just first out of the gate. "We need to secure the city and try to figure out what they're after, as soon as we can. I've had our boss here in Taiwan scramble some other Misk ops in preparation, but who knows how well they're doing-"

Oh, poo poo, that's right, people are running and screaming from said muties. "One sec, gotta clean up the streets a bit." He cuts the radio, bringing his rivet rifle to bear against the group of three. A quick palm against a building, a discharge of kinetic force, and a firm planting of the outside of his heel allows for a a bit of fancy footwork as he fires off at the mutants, half-strafing, half-drifting through the streets as heavy industrial-grade bolts whistle through the air long enough for him to get a witty one-liner in-

"Hey, pick on someone your own weight class, small-fry!"

Physique! Got a 7, which should have a pretty good chance to mow down the group quick and easy-like, especially thanks to Arthur's Custom 'Bolt-Action' Rivet Gun Equipment!

Monathin fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 11, 2015

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 4/5 -> 3/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Defend with Will! 4dF+4 = 3, I'll spend a Fate Point to invoke Escaped Sacrifice, and use my free invoke on They've Got Your Back to bring that up to +7! Taipei ain't gonna suffer from a little terror number like this on Arthur's watch.

Arthur wasn't sed to the whole 'heroics' business, much less being in the public eye and having people cheer him while he's working - and with the Mutant pulling a hostage and threatening them, the crowd was rapt, watching with horror. Arthur could feel the eyes on him, waiting to see him make his next move.

Well, trial by fire makes heroes of normal men, so they say.

"Son, I don't think you know who you're dealin' with, here." Arthur pipes up, American Southern Drawl cutting through the streets of Taipei. "I've seen your number a few dozen times. I've seen cults who want to be just like you and your glorious 'Watcher'. I was about this close to becoming sacrifice fodder till I stepped up and told 'em 'y'know, I don't think I'm gonna -be- one of your little hairbrained outer science experiments, thank you kindly.' I stepped up and I took that cult and all its little buddies down, man by man. And y'know what? It felt good, gettin' rid of some of the nastier people in this world."

He brought up his sights on his visor, using his pontificating to give him time to line up a shot, slotting in a particularly heavy rivet into the gun on his side. "And I know the people here watching me square off against your big ugly mug would agree - they ain't gonna take this lying down. Your Watcher wants to take this city, he's gonna have to go through them, and he's gonna have to go through me."

"And let me tell you somethin', friend, I ain't found a sucker like you yet who can punch through this wolverine-mean hide o'mine!"

There, right in the shoulder, should carry him away from his hostage, if nothing else. He snaps up the rivet gun in the blink of an eye, and snap fires that extra-heavy bolt straight at the Mutant.

Let's see how you like smart-talkin' 'gainst a concrete wall.

Create an Advantage with: Combat! Arthur's gonna try and pin him to the wall, and gets a 5, due to having a flat +5, plus a +1 from using his 'Bolt-Action' Rivet Gun!

Monathin fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 12, 2015

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 3/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Arthur took the moment to sort of enjoy the spotlight, he supposes. He lifts his rivet gun up, pointing straight at the sky with it, to the chants.

And then he was quickly rejoined by Army and Lutwidge, he nodded at their assessment.

"You got that right, and we ain't gonna lose." Looks like that little stunt has cleared Arthur's head a bit, and he's got a bit of confidence under his belt as he cracks his knuckles. She sprints off, and he turns to Lutwidge, thumbing to the pinned mutant.

"If either of you guys wanna haul that fish back to HQ on your way back, feel free. Think he's down for the count." He motions to the Tager Duo. Hey, as far as he was concerned their part of the group. "Lutwidge, we don't quite have time to dig up this guy, but if you wanna do some extra credit research-" There's a wrt bit of humor in his voice. College humor, Arthur's a man of science, too. "Leiggoth gave me this file on Shieh Shen, likely the supplier of that Mi-Go jammer on the ship." he taps on his wearable, forwarding the info to Lutwidge.

"And hey, let boss lady know Yog's goin' nuts on the town. I told her we needed to scramble any other available field ops, but I dunno how seriously she took me, given how quick I bolted out of the room."

With that, he looks towards the direction Army sprinted off in, placing his hands down on the ground, as if to run track.

"Also hey, nice work with that little 'external interrogation session'. I'm gonna have to use that line sometime!"

With a charged kinetic blast, Arthus skids along the ground once more, lagging behind, but following Armitage towards the park.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 3/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Braking just short of the misfortune, Arthur certainly noticed things going to poo poo in quite a hurry. There was a ....was that who we were here to save? In the center, a big great squid. Wonderful. And hoooo boy there were a lot of cultists.

Arthur hated Cultists.

And then things started going nuts. Crab was taking shots on top of one of cultists, Amar was... going for the squid? Wasn't Bass following them? And he suddenly lost sight of where Jed was. Goddammit. He'd like just one day without things going haywire.

He hefted his rivet gun up and slotted some more bolts into it. He didn't have near enough coffee and there were far too many cultists for his tastes.

Create an Advantage with - Combat! - Arthur's gonna lay down some Suppressive Riveting as an Aspect!

"What the hell's happening, guys? Pull it together!"

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 3/5 -> 2/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

With the cultists scattering, Arthur's helmet shuts off and sort of golds back behind the nape of his neck, letting him run a hand through his hair. Jeez, this was way worse than anything Well-Means had thrown him at, but luckily everyone seemed no worse for the wear, although Jake missing was a bit of an... outlying issue.

He lowers his rivet gun, clearing his throat as he approaches Cythilla. "Sorry about all that hassle. I'm Arthur." He says, extending a gloved and armored hand. "Guy chatting on the phone there's Jed, the girl in the elaborate getup is Amaryllis, and you've already met Spacecrab. We're from Miskatonic."

Arthur's gonna try and get a read on Cthyllia and warm her up to them with some Rapport! Uh... that's not great, so Arthur's gonna bank on being Mad Artie, Professional Repairman to get him a Re-Roll!

"We're here to help, albeit a bit... confused. Looks like Yog-Sothoth types were trying to corner you. You got any clue why exactly? It's alright if you don't, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask."

When Jed throws a question him and Amar's way, he looks towards her. "I can maybe think of a couple hunches, but I'm not sure I can think of anything concrete. But i'm sure between Amaryllis and I we can come up with something."

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas

Desk work was never Arthur's favorite. His work was always better suited out on the field, getting in the nitty-gritty. Sure, he'd had his share of desk jobs over the years, but he wasn't exactly going to say he enjoyed them.

Though it gave him the chance to let his suit breathe a bit. The problem with a jumpsuit reinforced with armor and cobbled together servos was that you inevitably ran out of breathing room on it. He'd always thought about installing a cooling unit, but it'd involve completely re-doing the system from the ground up, which wasn't exactly something he had time for, especially if he and Amaryllis were to pin down either Tager HQ or an appropriate place to summon ol' Yoggy.

And, admittedly, the busy work kept his mind together a bit better than usual. Maybe the busy work was the key to keep his mind from wandering. Or maybe it was the cup of fresh black coffee he was slowly nursing, steam rising up to cloud his face. Could be either or. But he was much more interested in who Miss Leiggoth was talkin' to.

Notice - Arthur wants to sneak a peek at boss lady's friend.

He commented to Amaryllis as he watched, rubbing a shoulder idly.

"So, I never actually got to know how you do what it is you do, Armitage. What's your story? Figure we might as well get to know each other a little better while we're on Cult Duty."

I'm cashing in both of Arthur's Minor Milestones (now that I've read the rules and seen that what I wanted to do at first isn't feasible yet) - the APPROACH aspect is being changed from Old Reliable to The Walking Tank That Time Forgot, to emphasize Arthur's old-school equipment in this cyberpunk world, and his signature (Science) aspect is being switched from Genius is the Other Half of Madness to Clarity Through Caffeination.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 6, 2015

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas

Arthur let a chuckle excape himself. He wouldnt have ever believed that kind of magic back in his day. But one good question deserves another. "They probably could, but I've been using the Appro-Suit since my heydays as an on-site troubleshooter." He explains as he goes over the map. "I made it for the company I was working for at the time, for on-site technical work. But I had to make mine a little more... durable, when I got involved in my first big job." He sips his coffee. "It was a job at a factory, the group I was a part of was trapped for a week. I was the only one to make it out of there, and it was thanks to bolting scrap to my appro-suit and having handy power tools to take down whatever came my way."

He runs a hand through his hair, sighing. "You can take a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink, I suppose. When the company went under, I did feeelance work dealing with the occult and cultist types, but I never did learn what the guys at Factory 7 were a part of, exactly. They were after smart people. The Yoggies actually remind me of them, though... the ones I faced weren't alive."

He laughs a bit. "I'll probably upgrade when the ol' Appro-suit wears out on me. But I like my jazzed-up spacesuit. And I wouldnt trust anything made by anyone else to keep me safe. You could call it relying on an old science in a different way."

As to the Yoggies' motives, Arthur's a bit more blunt. "Ascension, probably. They likely think Yog'll bless them if they bring him out to go to town on the world or somethin'. Maybe with knowledge beyond their comprehension or something."

"But, really," He leans forward, brow furrowing. "Ruby might be taking the time and bandwidth to put a call in to Professor Morgan from Arkham," He nods towards where they could see her. "But there's only so much he can do half a world away. We need to figure out just where in Taipei these guys would be able to summon ol' Yog. Just need to figure out where to start."

Monathin fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arthur Douglas
Fate Points: 5 -> 6/5 | Physical Stress: 1 2 3 4 | Mental Stress: 1 2 3 | Consequences:

Arthur watched a certain Mr. Ryleh bite off Lutwidge's head (metaphorically, thankfully!) and winced. No wonder his daughter was such a free spirit - anyone would want to get out from under this Great Old One's all-seeing (or is that searing?) gaze.

He figures he'll get his turn to banter with the Big Boss of the Ryleh family after they, you know, do their jobs. He takes a swig of coffee as he expands the holo-display, moving to the whiteboard, grimacing and stroking his grey hair.

"Cultists are definitely theatrical types, but we also have to figure that for something like the ritual itself, the crowd they're bringing, how much attention a ritual will bring, both before and after... They've got a flair for drama, but I'm not sure they want attention before they get the ritual -done-. Urgh, this may not be easy..."

Brainstorm! Arthur is an Escaped Sacrifice, so he'd be natural to participate in figuring out the details of this ritual! I'll bid in with my Occult Sciences, and get a... 5. Take the lead, Spacecrab! You've got a fact to establish!

• Locked thread