Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Heres some boat related poo poo for my (probably) first contribution to the thread.

Old locks from the 3rd Welland Canal.
Construction was completed in 1887 and it was taken out of service in 1933 or 34 IIRC. A bunch of the old stone locks still remain here's a few pictures from there.

If I'm not mistaken, this is Lock 21:

This section of the "old canal" as we locals call it, is still in use sort of. It along with the huge pond around this area stores water used for filling the locks and also for generating some power to operate the pumps etc.. Down stream of these locks is a small generating station. This particular lock is filled up pretty high during the canal's operating season. If my picture isn't too lovely, you can probably see the water line along the stone walls. Further down you might be able to just make out a couple derelict cars in the bottom. Back when this area was more accessible, it was a pretty popular place to dump cars that people jacked.

If that was lock 21, then this is lock 20:
Normally submerged in summer its probably the best preserved of all the locks on the 3rd canal.

Last pic that I got this weekend:
This is whats left of a derelict boat that was scuttled at the end of lock 21. The lock from the first picture. Nobody seems to know much about it except that it was a "tow boat" I guess maybe it was for towing barges up and down the canal or something. Not much left of it but the backbone and some metal parts. Hopefully some fuckin scrap metal scavenges don't gently caress with it. Its been there for almost a hundred years.

I'm sure I have more pics of old canal poo poo somewhere, but I can't seem to find them on my computer. I guess maybe thats and excuse to go for more hikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I;m interested in buying a boat because why the gently caress wouldn't I throw my money in to a lake thats 800 feet deep?

I'm looking at a few Lund products. One of them has an option for trailer brakes. Anyone happen to know if they are surge brakes, or electric/electric over hydraulic?
According to the Lund website, the total package is just over 2000 pounds "towing weight". I think 2025 pounds. Thats with the most powerful engine and I should probably count on another 5-600 pounds for things like trolling motor, batteries, fuel, fishing gear and so on.

I think they use Shoreland'r trailers. I checked out their website but the results were inconclusive. I saw something that said "disc brakes" on axles rated over 3000 pounds or something, and E/OH for the heavier ones (don't remember the weight ratings for those ones).

I tried to email them (Lund) directly but all of their "contact us" stuff pretty much told me to contact my local dealer. I sent a message to local dealer but I don't expect a response unless I include a picture of me holding a wad of cash with a caption saying "boat fund money".

Tow vehicle would be a 2021 Tacoma which IIRC is rated to tow up to 6400 or 6500 pounds. So it would be well under the towing capacity for the truck.

So uhh, yeah, anybody know what type of brakes they might be?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Erwin posted:

I would guess surge brakes based on weight and how common they are. Are there pictures of the trailers? Electric over hydraulic have a big pedestal in the front with the reservoir and pump at the top to keep them out of the water.

I just checked the Lund website but there was only one picture of the boat on a trailer and it was more to show the travel cover than the trailer, so I couldn't see the tongue.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

As "muh truck" is still pretty new, I'd like to not have to have someone hack up the wiring to add an electric brake controller, so I guess I'd prefer surge brakes.

According to sone of the stuff I looked up, the "towing weight" is boat, trailer and the most powerful engine. In this case a 115hp mercury. But it probably doesn't include things like trolling motor, extra batteries for said trolling motor, full fuel tank, and various options that I might want to add. I guess I could reach out to the dealer, but like I mentioned before, I don't really expect to hear back from them unless I just go there with a dump truck full of hundred dollar bills.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Despite what I put in my first post, I figured that if they were electric brake then it would be the older style magnetically actuated drums rather than e/oh.

But thinking about it for a bit, maybe such a setup isn't so good for an axle that will be submerged from time to time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

two_beer_bishes posted:

The brake controller I bought for my 2011 Tundra has an adapter that plugged right into the factory wiring, no hacking at all. I have the Tekonsha P3 and it was very easy to install.

That's good to know, thanks. I'll check my owners manual and see if it says anything about it. In other news, surprisingly enough I heard from the dealer.
Hydraulic, surge disc brakes on their trailers

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Good to know. I'm looking at a couple other (smaller) boats as well that don't have that as an option, but if I get this one I'll probably check off the trailer brakes option box.
I've been figuring that the weight listed for the boat is with standard equipment only, so if boat, motor and trailer combined is 2025 pounds, by the time I check off some other boxes I bet it'll probably be pushing 2500 and then adding a bunch of miscellaneous poo poo like a few tools and spare parts, anchor, full fuel tank, and then adding fishing poo poo, possible camping gear, a cooler full of drugs and alcohol food, ice and poo poo, thats probably getting close to 3000 pounds, which in Ontario is the cut off for needing trailer brakes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah some trailer manufacturers are jerks, if you have a question or problem they tell you talk to the boat dealer, then you talk to the dealer and they tell you to talk to the trailer manufacturer.

There's a couple trailer companies that stand behind their product and are happy to answer questions around here (Peterson, Magic Tilt) but the rest it's like you're on your own.

I have the most basic generic trailer (Continental) for my skiff, when I needed bearing seals for it I just went to the local trailer dealer/service/parts shop, calling Continental would have been a waste of time.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Not sure how it is for Lund boats specifically, but for a lot of manufacturers the trailer is a dealer supplied item, so the manufacturer doesn't really have a ton of say in what trailer you'll actually get, buying one from a dealer.

Here's a picture of a bunch of Carolina Skiffs in shipping, sans trailer.

https://imgur.com/a/Xh4xKGj
I don't know about all Lund boats, but the ones I'm looking at come with Shoreland'r trailers. From the factory. Not a dealer add on.
I'm pretty sure they're a big and reputable company so I probably won't have issues getting parts or other info if I need repairs done on it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hey still looking at boat poo poo cause I'm bad at talking myself out of things.
One of the engine options I'm looking at is:

Mercury 115ELPT Pro XS 4STK

and:

Mercury 115ELPT

I assume that ELPT is Electric start and power trim but what the poo poo is the Pro X@ 4STK?

Is there any reason I should spend the extra several hundred on the Pro X whatever the gently caress aside from bragging to my friends that I got the mad sickest poo poo on my water whip?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How long do you want to be friends with him?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Has the boat market gone batshit the last few years like the car industry market has?

Was talking about boats the other day with my brother and he's got some sort of Crestliner and he was all like "yeah I can probably sell it for as much or more than what I paid for it 7(ish) years ago. He told me how much he paid for it. I forget the number but somewhere between 25-30k Canadian commie dollars.

Fake edit: Its a Crestliner Vision 1700

Just curious, I've been looking at a Lund product thats *probably* about the equivalent product and its waay fuckin more expensive. I realize of course that even in normal times, the price for stuff goes up year after year, and it depends on how its optioned and whatnot, but holy gently caress the difference is crazy.

Is Lund "better"? I'm not trying to compete with him and be all like 'yo my poo poo is way better' I just want something comfortable that I'm going to (presumably) own for years without getting sick of it.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 5, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How do y'all motherfuckers drive at night?

I understand you'll use GPS or whatever the gently caress to navigate and sonar or whatever to make sure you don't run in to a shoal, or otherwise ground yourself, but how do you actually see? Do you bring out a spotlight or some poo poo?

I don't think I've ever seen a boat that had headlights.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Cat Hatter posted:

Clearly you've never been around a pontoon boat with docking lights driven by an idiot. Boats don't have headlights because they're traditionally operating too far away from things for them to be effective. Some boats have docking lights which are like headlights but intended only for seeing the dock or shore you're about to ease up to. The problem is that some people just leave them on which can blind nearby boaters and obscures the navigation lights that are supposed to inform other boaters which direction you're pointing and likely traveling.

Here's a slightly more in depth answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScHNieC5ymU

Before the days of cheap sonar you'd use a topographic map and/or just trust the channel markers if you were on a large enough body of water. I remember how cool it was when my dad first got Garmin's Bluecharts on a waterproof gps. I probably don't even want to know how much that monochromatic thing cost back in the day.

Nah, Only been around boats during the day. Not really at night. Except maybe dusk I'm not likely to be out at night much (if at all) but I was figuring something like a spotlight aimed at the water 40-50 feet ahead might be useful. If for nothing more than not running over a bunch of sleeping ducks or something. Geese on the other hand gently caress them. I'm not going to run over geese even though I hate those fuckers. And of course seeing things when I dock/land, but marinas probably have enough lights that maybe that part isn't an issue.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

It would mainly be lake Ontario, near Toronto. Most likely not at night, but hey you never know. Possibly Lake Erie a few times a year and maybe a smaller Canadian Shield lake every now and then.
I don't even have a boat yet anyway, just trying to learn some poo poo. I have a boating license, but they basically give them away, so if/when I get one I'd take a legit boater safety course.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

enki42 posted:

I'm on Lake Ontario and yeah, there's basically no chance of hitting anything so long as you're not right on shore (and can read your charts for marked things that you can hit, although those are few and far between).

We keep a good flashlight for getting into the marina since there's a few twists and the entrance isn't amazingly well lit / marked, but tbh half the time we don't use it.

In terms of safety, the license course tells you everything you need to know, it's just practice after that.

My license "course" was the open book fail and don't pay test.
I remember exactly this much:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

What are the pros and cons of a galvanized trailer vs painted trailer?

Painted trailer you can just rattle can when it starts to rust. At least on the outside.
Galvanized will resist rust longer, but you can't just touch up the stone chips with paint or whatever. Re-galvanizing isn't necessarily a practical solution probably.

I'm sure theres a ton of others.

Not being used in salt water if that makes a diff.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 12, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I just decided to light a bunch of money on fire put a deposit down on a fuckin money pit boat.

I guess I need to get some safety poo poo for it.
According to Transport Canada, for a craft under 6metres (19' 8") I need:

Life jackets of appropriate size for everyone on board. I already have two that I use for my canoe, will get a couple more.

Bouyant heaving line of 15m (50ft) in length. I can probably get one at Canadian Tire of theres a shitload of boat places around here because the city runs two harbors.

Manual propelling device. I have canoe paddles, but they're big and wooden, I should probably go with a couple collapsible paddles and store them on board.

Bailer or hand pump. Boat has an automatic bilge pump. But I know a guy who had his boat sink on Lake St Clair when his failed. So I'll pick up a manual one.

Sound signalling device. This bitch has a horn, but a fox 40 is cheap. Should I bother with a refillable air horn too? The answer is probably yes but eh, what the gently caress do I know?

Navigation lights I'm pretty sure this thing has them as well. Not sure how I can get spares or whatever.

Class 5 BC fire extinguisher for any vessel: with an inboard motor, fixed fuel tank, and/or any fuel-burning cooking, heating or refrigeration units; I have a fixed fuel tank and I checked off the 'fire extinguisher' option box, but I figure another one can't hurt.

Waterproof flashlight or flares: Well......... What the gently caress should I do here? Flashlight seems like a no brainer, but what about flares? I do have (will be getting) that extra fire extinguisher cause hey if I've got some flammable flares on board you know.
Are flares worth it or should I just get a good flashlight?

Other stuff I figure I should get:

Anchor with a bunch of rope, First aid kit.

I know I'll need other stuff too like some bumpers, mooring ropes and so on, because boat stands for Bust Out Another Thousand. At some point I'll be asking about some tools I might want to keep around for roadside trailer repairs and maybe a few boat repairs and such but for now, I'm mainly concerned with boat safety type poo poo.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 27, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm at the pub, drunk because I'm already regretting throwing my money away and phone posting so I'm not in a condition to quote and then cut in to individual things here but when you say a boat length of chain you mean a literal, the length of my boat (17ft in this case)? Or is that some olde tyme salty sea dog measurement for x number of feet?

Ok, so gently caress the flares, I think in Canada you actually need a firearms license to buy a flare gun anyway. I have one but whatever. I'll probably get arrested for unsafe storage or some poo poo.

I've seen those freaky anchors before. Still trying to figure out how they actually work.

Know how to tie a "bowlin", what the poo poo is a cleat hitch?
That's not just a bunch of figure 8s around a cleat is it? If so I got that poo poo down. Also know a few other knots that might come in handy. Also got a book on knots and poo poo. Done my own eye (side?) Splices in three strand manilla rope before to make something like a sling before.
Don't know every knot but I'm a weirdo so I can figure out a few I think.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The boat exists already because it's a leftover '22 model. But hosed if I can figure out how to copy and paste a link in my current condition.

But it's a lund 1775 adventure sport with a bunch of gew-gaws and hee-hoes and a 115 on the back.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Vhf radio is something I definitely have been thinking about. I would need to know how to use it obviously and would put some effort in to learning. I expect to mostly be using this thing on lake Ontario. Occasionally lake Erie. And don't necessarily want to stay that close to shore. The idea of driving way out in to the lake, shutting the engine off, reading a book or listening to the radio and just drifting for a while in the quiet definitely has some appeal to me.

I have a good source for rope and was planning on getting at least 100 ft for the anchor. And maybe an extension or two has crossed my mind.

Dyneema rope seems to be a good product for an anchor line.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fair enough. I don't think I'll be anchoring way out in the middle of the lake but who the gently caress knows.
Lake Ontario is at its deepest just over 800 feet deep. Realistically I won't be anchoring there because i'm pretty sure thats on the US-A Freedom side of the lake, but I should probably take a look at some depth charts for areas where I might be and try to judge appropriately.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

enki42 posted:

You don't have to be super offshore or anything to be in fairly quiet waters. There's not really many cruisers moving between marinas on Lake Ontario, 95% of people tend to stick pretty close to their marina / whatever the closest beach is.

But yeah, if you're planning to cross or go fairly deep, I would 100% recommend flares. The most important thing to remember with boating in the great lakes is that most of what you read about lake boating doesn't apply, you can get serious weather and waves. (I honestly don't know anything about dealing with weather on a powerboat but I'd imagine you can't just ignore it)

Yeah, I've been out on Erie, Ontario and Georgian Bay, I've never had the opportunity misfortune of being out there when the weather blows up, but being interested in Lake Lore and whatnot, I know that poo poo can get really hosed up. Not like some of the smaller Canadian Shield lakes that might only be a few miles long.

The Great Lakes Storm of 1913 really caused some poo poo for example.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Got ya. I won't go overboard (heh) on anchor ropes.

So whats the reason for "boat length" of chain anyway?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Makes sense. I'll keep that in mind when looking at anchor poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

drat, Anchor chat up in this all because of lil old me!

Going out to the "middle" of the lake isn't quite what I was planning, probably ore like a few km off shore or something, and chilling out, reading a book, and/or listening to the radio.

There is a waiting list for slips at the two city owned marinas here so I'd be launching and landing. So gently caress stuff like going out on the water for fireworks or some poo poo like that.

Though I gotta admit this looks pretty fuckin sweet.

https://www.portstoronto.com/portstoronto/media-room/news/north-america%E2%80%99s-floating-movie-theatre-returns.aspx

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Karma Comedian posted:

We do something similar with a portable projector, a sail, and a bunch of dinghies.

Watching Jaws in a tiny dinghy is fun!

They have the dinghy thing here now too.

Another thread brought up the subject of ethanol in gas.

IIRC ethanol + outboard/marine engines = bad was a thing for at least a while. Is uhhhh that still a thing?

I'm not worried about things like rubber hoses melting or whatever was happening to cars 20 odd years ago when they started putting ethanol in to gas and older cars were having issues with their older rubber lines, but anyone recall what the deal was with ethanol and marine engines in the recent past?

Was it just reduced fuel economy? Were they running worse? I can't imagine that the engine manufacturers (mercury in my case) haven't figured out a way to deal with this yet but maybe they haven't.

Is it one of those things that was true 10 years ago but isn't anymore but people swear its still true because it was at one point?

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 30, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Kenshin posted:

Hearing how lake people talk about anchoring vs. what I have to do in Puget Sound is just wild. (also the difference between small displacement motor boats and the sailboats I'm used to)

What is wild about it? I'm new to this boat poo poo. I know the great lakes aren't oceans, but they're not the puddles that one finds throughout most of the rest of North America.

Big Taint posted:

Similar to how climbing has static and dynamic ropes, boating has lines you want to be stretchy and lines you don’t. Sheets and halyards and running rigging on sailboats want to be less stretchy. Dock lines and anchor rodes want to be stretchy so you’re not transferring all the load to the boat’s hardware, the line absorbs some.

Dyneema is very not stretchy. Nylon is a much better choice. Polyester is also fine but preferably in a 3-strand or plaited line rather than double braid.

4:1 is sort of the minimum ratio of length to depth for rode, and that’s assuming all chain for proper catenary. If you’re doing a composite rode then 7:1 is best, 5:1 can be fine in good conditions and/or for short periods of time.

Look at a chart of your area and see where you might want to anchor, both from a ‘this is a nice place to have lunch and swim’ standpoint and also a ‘if my poo poo breaks on the way back to the marina I may need to anchor here’ situation. ~20 feet of chain plus line to get you to 7:1 where you expect to want to anchor will probably be fine, you can always tie lines together for more length too, especially if you’re just hand hauling and not trying to run it through a windlass.

Knowledge here. I learned something and will make sure to remember this. Thanks fellow goon!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I did a four day sailing course on Lake Ontario last summer and the materials, final test, and on-the-lake work all had lots of stuff about anchors and anchor theory. Also, having anchored for a couple hours outside a popular local nude beach and watched countless incidents of sheer buffoonery from the rented yacht/motorboat crew there, I wish that sort of education was forced on everyone taking a boat out.

I've got my boat license. From one of those places that said "don't pass? Don't pay!!!" Probably got it at the sportsman show in Toronto. I plan on taking *some* kind of legit boating safety type course because I'd really like to try and not be "that guy".

Re: anchor chat, Looks like I should get a few cinder blocks and some steel cable and troll some boat forums about my discovering that one weird trick that big anchor doesn't want you to know?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dumb question, but then I'm dumb and don't know gently caress poo poo about boats.

Will a magnetic compass get messed up (be inaccurate) in an aluminum boat?

I know aluminum isn't ferrous, but I do also know that various metals, ferrous or not can interfere with various things.

My parents had an rv trailer in the past, parked at a camp ground and the radio reception was poo poo. Most other people in the park had the same problem. General consensus was "lots of metal around to gently caress with things". Though thats not exactly scientific reasoning.

I suppose a "boat compass" would probably be made in such a way that this might be compensated for?

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 21, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Went to the dealer to drop the rest of the down payment on my new money pit boat.

Didn't get to see it as it was out in the yard wrapped in plastic but they had an identical one uncovered in their shop so I got to check it out.

Holy gently caress it's huge (it's not that big, 17' 10"). I guess I was thinking it would compare to the 14 ft tiller steers that i've rented before, but you know bigger. But everything on this fucker seems so much more huger than them.

It seems huge to only weigh like 2300 pounds or so ( boat motor and trailer).

Now I still need to buy some poo poo like bumpers, anchor, various other safety poo poo. A few extra life jackets etc ..

Hopefully the town marinas will still have a spot open. I got offered one a few weeks ago and would have taken it, but they wanted payment, proof of insurance and a copy of the registration. Only had one of those things at the time, now have two, will hopefully have all three by Tuesday.

I'm both excited and terrified.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I want to get one of those floating foam water mats that are around 6x15 ft but they're like 500+ dollars.

I wonder if that would count as a PFD:v:?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

drat! I wonder if they ship to Canada.
But maybe with the exchange rate, shipping etc. it might cost the same as one from Costco (in Canada) or wherever.

More dumb questions:

In the not too distant future I'm going to need poo poo.

Probably a couple bumpers, various safety poo poo, and so on.

Are there any brands of stuff that I should avoid because they're poo poo?

Also are there any gimmicky products that sound like they're so awesome and handy but actually don't work as well as they should or are otherwise lovely?

I was looking at some dock lines that were kinda bungee cord like.
These things. Seems like they'd be a useful product, but maybe they wear out really fast or something.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

More stupid boat noob questions from a stupid boat noob.

Anyone know a good system/method etc for fueling up a boat with some Jerry cans?

I got a dock for the season and probably won't be taking the thing out of the water regularly, or I'd ust stop at a gas station on the way to/ from the lake.

There is a private club on the same creek that has a fuel dock but I have no idea if its members only, or if they charge non-members more etc... The other city run harbor on a different creek has a fuel dock but its kind of out of the way. Also from what I've heard, dock gas is more expensive because of extra regulations etc..

So I'm hoping to get a couple Jerry Cans and fill this thing up from time to time to save some money, but I want to do my best not to own the libs by spilling gas in to the water.

Are there any devices, methods, tips etc for doing this without spilling? Assuming obviously that I do it correctly?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Holy gently caress that thing looks dope!

The one the other goon posted is something I was thinking of too, and theres like 5 Canadian tires within a 5 minute drive of me. Its got lovely reviews though :(

This definitely isn't the only fuel dock on the lake, but its Lake Ontario so somewhat big. Then next closest one is about 7km away in the opposite direction of where I'd usually be going, or 16km east in the direction I'd most likely be traveling.

The fuel tank on this thing is 20 (US) gallons and built in, otherwise I'd stock up on a couple portable ones and not worry so much about moving them to and fro.

I suppose the best course of action is to bite the bullet, pay for dock gas for the time being and figure out how much fuel I'll actually use for various trips here and there and then decide where to go from there.

A pair of those cans is tempting though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Oh hells yeah!
There are a few stations in my town listed including the harbor thats to the west of where I'll be docked.

Thanks for the link.

According to Mercury my engine is fine with E10 (but no more than that) is there an advantage to pure gas?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The boat is brand new and thus shouldn't be subject to the ethanol chaos from 20+ years ago, but I'll definitely keep in mind and just try and run ethanol free when I am able to.
I saw my boat's twin a few weeks ago at the dealer (mine was out in the yard wrapped in plastic), and there was a tag on the steering wheel saying E10 or less or some poo poo like that, which I assume means 10% ethanol or less. Theres a few stations listed on the site the other goon posted that have no ethanol, so I'll try to keep up with that.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Are those elastic dock lines, any good or are they gimmicky bullshit?

Seems like they would have a shorter lifespan than rope but I can't really think of any other drawbacks, but I ain't know gently caress poo poo about poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I guess one advantage of just using a rope also is I can get one that's longer, and tie it to boat and dock at whatever length is needed rather than try to figure out what length of one of those I'll need.
Its not a very big boat and the dock is floating so it (the dock surface) will probably be only a bit lower than the top edge of the gunwale.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dumb question time.

Some of you have noticed me annoying the thread a bunch of times in the last few months. I want to get a tool kit together to make minor repairs on my boat, motor and trailer to keep with it.

All the poo poo is brand new, hopefully I won't need to make any repairs for a while but I want to be prepared.

The boat is made by Lund, Mercury engine and Shorelander trailer.

Anyone have any idea if they use standard, metric or both types of fasteners? They're all made in USA so I figure its *probably* all standard, but who the gently caress knows. I've worked on enough poo poo over the years to have seen a lot of stuff that uses both.

I just don't want to pick up and carry around any extra stuff if I don't need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thats on my list of things to pick up already, but for this fall anyway, I *might* take the boat somewhere to get winterized and thus won't have any (hopefully) need to run the engine while out of the water.

Are they really designed to need replacing every few years? Why? Is it because the water they take in can be of lovely quality? Like silt, and sand and whatnot?