Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
So a few of us who worked on the freeware Battlestar Galactica spacesim Diaspora: Shattered Armistice. Decided that we wanted to focus on a commercial project. Although there's been a number of 4x (explore, expand, exploit, exterminate) space games that have come out in the last few years we felt we could make a meaningful contribution to the genre by putting together what we liked from our favorite strategy titles and putting them together in a new universe.

So we decided to start working on Lord of Rigel.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6L4QtrA-QA

Lord of Rigel is a 4x (Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate) in the fashion of classic games such as Master of Orion 2 and Civilization. Although there have been many recent efforts to re-invigorate the 4x genre, many of these games have intentionally or unintentionally emphasized certain gameplay aspects such as combat or the economy over providing a complete, balanced, space-opera strategy game experience. Our goal is to provide a accessible, yet deep, turn based strategy game.

We're developing it in the Unity engine, and our first release is a proof of concept demo for galaxy generation which is available for download now! We're right now working on a tactical combat demo which will include ships from two of the factions in the game.

http://www.lordofrigel.com/

Lord of Rigel, like its spiritual predecessor Master of Orion, is heavily based on scifi tropes. As such, each species represents a major trope in science fiction ex. the Katraxi fit with a warrior species archetype. Like the series that came before, this game is set in a loose enough setting that players can imagine specific conflicts that occur during their games being moments in some of their favorite space opera franchises.

What are some of the core features of Lord of Rigel?
  • Turn based strategic play and real-time tactical combat.
  • Randomly generated Galaxies with a wide range of customizable parameters.
  • 10 Pre-set species with unique characteristics.
  • Species customization.
  • Minor species, including two Elder races waging a cold war.
  • Rich technology tree ranging from lasers to artificial planets and dyson spheres.
  • Fully customizable space ships for waging war.
  • Easy to grasp but deep economic system
  • Leaders, either mercenaries or from your empire, who are shaped by their successes and failures.
  • Diplomatic system that is simple, but has considerable depth.
  • Several victory conditions including military, diplomatic, and research options.
  • Strategic resources that require unique strategies to acquire, hold, and exploit.
  • Developed for 1080p, but with 4k resolution support for “future-proofing.”

Lord of Rigel soundtrack on Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/rhombustudios/sets/lord-of-rigel-original-soundtrack

Some pre-alpha screen shots and concept art:

We have a tactical combat demo for download that you can play, with the Humans and Katraxi!

We're at a very early stage of development, but I'm hoping this is something fellow goons will want to play.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

This looks great. I look forward to watching it's development!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Looks cool but I wish at least once a serious developer would try to make a honest re-imagining of MOO1 (my most favorite strategy game ever). A lot of 4X devs trying to remake MOO2 focus too much on planets and micromanagement instead of trying to make a limited-scope game with tight strategic decisions.
I mean, in MOO1 you just had 5 sliders for every colony, sent ships around with a click, I still play it every day.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Please make aliens suitably weird and alien and not just humans with makeup or humanoid animals. This is not a dig at your concept art, just saying a lot of space games have really uninspired designs.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

quote:

Species customization.
Fully customizable space ships for waging war.

These are one of the most overrated things in space 4x.
I suggest to give each species a unique set of traits and ships instead.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Why on earth would you enter a topic that includes the phrase "Master of Orion 2.5" and begin making suggestions like "have unrelateably alien races" and "No ship customization please"? Are you guys members of the MoO3 dev team

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Aralan posted:

making suggestions like "have unrelateably alien races"
He meant unrelatable in appearance and biology so it won't look like human 1.5 that you can have sex with in mass effect. Although an outright race of relational-unrelatable alien as constant threat for all race could be interesting.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

It's not a huge deal, but almost every space game since MOO does more or less the same designs, so any attempt at something new would be nice. Arcturan concept looks pretty cool.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Riso posted:

It's a fundamental part of the genre these days, and when it's done well it's amazing, be it because customization is actually hugely important (Star Ruler, Space Empires) or because you can make baller-rear end looking ships even if it's not that interesting mechanically (GalCiv). I don't think you're going to win this one in a thread about a game explicitly trying to be a spiritual successor to MoO2, anymore than you'd be heeded if you went into a Suikoden 2.5 thread and said "108 recruitable characters is overrated."

Anyroad to the OP I am always interested in space 4X games, and MoO2 is rightly held up as one of the greatest ever. One thing to take from Endless Space - presentation. The game lacked depth and the battles weren't really up to scratch, but god drat was it a slick game to look at and play, and that went a long way to both getting goodwill and to making Endless Legend possible (which is the best 4X I've played in some time).

I'm also heartened to see that you're talking about artificial planets and Dyson spheres, largely because I feel most space 4X games don't really focus on the non-military implications of super insane tech levels. Space Empires did that, you could just straight up demolish a solar system and replace everything with a ringworld or later, Dyson sphere, and it felt great to do because you were reshaping the galaxy itself to your own ends. Please pursue this to an extreme degree and let you turn your civilization from humanity into a race of computer-dwelling uploaded who fly around space on mobile ringworlds or something.

e; and yeah, the more diverse and alien the aliens, the better. Most games just have Space Japanese and Space Brits and stuff, a robot race that is no different from biological ones, and some transparent ripoff of Klingons. Diversity in lore would ideally lead to diversity in mechanics (Endless Legend again), and these could change as time passed in-game depending on what you do.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 20, 2014

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Space Empires did that, you could just straight up demolish a solar system and replace everything with a ringworld or later, Dyson sphere, and it felt great to do because you were reshaping the galaxy itself to your own ends. Please pursue this to an extreme degree and let you turn your civilization from humanity into a race of computer-dwelling uploaded who fly around space on mobile ringworlds or something.

Yeah, this as well, Space Empires had some really satisfying space engineering in the late game.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Mister Adequate posted:

a game explicitly trying to be a spiritual successor to MoO2,

There's so many space 4x that claim to be the one true heir to MOO it doesn't mean anything.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Riso posted:

There's so many space 4x that claim to be the one true heir to MOO it doesn't mean anything.

It doesn't mean they'll succeed, but if they come right out and say that it's what they're trying to do, it's safe to bet there are certain things from MoO2 they are going to adopt.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
can you please release the game two weeks before tweaking also not respond to community questions about patches and post on facebook about quizes that tell me what nozzle alien im the most like

Seriously though, you run a beta through goons, and I'll make you the best man in my wedding.

LotsBread fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 20, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mister Adequate posted:

It's a fundamental part of the genre these days, and when it's done well it's amazing, be it because customization is actually hugely important (Star Ruler, Space Empires) or because you can make baller-rear end looking ships even if it's not that interesting mechanically (GalCiv). I don't think you're going to win this one in a thread about a game explicitly trying to be a spiritual successor to MoO2, anymore than you'd be heeded if you went into a Suikoden 2.5 thread and said "108 recruitable characters is overrated."

Counterpoint: Sword of the Stars kept a good amount of customization while having insanely good atmosphere by having a set number of pre-defined races and building their game around them.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
I'd just like a MoO2 successor with updated graphics, turn based strategic combat(with auto-resolve ability), and more techs/upgrades at higher levels.

No ultra-micro management Ala MoO3 and no RTS in my turn based game.

You can slap a coat of paint on any of the races / racial abilities. Just as long as you don't over complicate what works. Hell, you don't need multilayer. Just make it good.

All the other games mentioned in here I disliked for flavoring the game with their own fanfic ideals or grognardian masochistic needs for the games to be punishing to play. Or at least it felt that way. Except the fantasy endless space which I've never played.

Edit: space empires I think I played 2. Apparently there's like a number 5 or 6 so maybe it's awesome?

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 20, 2014

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Riso posted:

I'd like to see a game where each species had different variations on their theme to choose from, as though they had sub cultures instead of star treky monocultures.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Well the feedback so far is much appreciated. I hope people took the chance to check out the galgen demo too!

I agree with the point from Endless Space about presentation, hopefully what we've released gives a sense that it is important to us. The tactical combat demo we're aiming to release soon should give a strong sense of what exactly we're aiming for.

Basically we're wanting to do a MOO2 successor with better graphics. Each species will have a unique art set for their fleets.

The comment that "so many games claim this it means nothing" I think is quite valid. But I think even the galaxy generation demo should show that we're not going to be one of those projects.

As for various comments, mobile ring worlds aren't going to be in the base game. We will include ring worlds and Dyson Spheres. "Rigel" the equivalent to Orion is a Dyson Sphere controlled by one of the elder species. The Orions and Arcturans play a role much like the Vorlons and Shadows in Babylon 5 and attempt to use "soft power" to manipulate factions. They mostly exist as an idea to help along the end game since the debate of siding with one of these factions, or creating your own alliance (or going alone) would drive the last half of the game. At the same time, there will be gameplay options to disable these factions.

When it comes to the aliens, we're aiming for histories and biologies that make sense but also want to honor scifi tropes. So in the tactical demo the Katraxi do fit the "Space Honorable Soldier/Japanese" cliche and feline species we see of the Kzinti, Mrrshan, and Kilrathi. Some such as the Yalkai, which fall under the "psychic blue alien space babes" trope are actually radially symmetric and use a hallucinatory defense mechanism to appear like "attractive" individuals of another species.

Unrelatably alien races aren't the goal, nor is inverting tropes for the sake of tropes. The game is a love letter to the pulpy scifi of the 90s (DS9, and B5 in particular). Making aliens more alien for the sake of alieness was a problem with MOO3 and the obsession with trope inversion or playing tropes for humor I think has been a detriment to other genre games. So yes we'll have our cats and lizard people and robots but they'll also be given enough backstory to feel like their own thing.

Although species customization is possible, each default species will have sets of perks to make them play uniquely. For instance our "lizard aliens" the Tharrn are a religious matriarchy who are heavily into ritualistic sacrifice and have a "sapiophage" trait where they gain population bonuses for eating captives on planets they conquer. Needless to say this makes them rather not popular with other species.

As for guy who mentioned running a beta with goons would have him show up to various weddings, well check out the demo we have and help bug-test galaxy generation :-) We're wanting to do alpha and beta for backers as well.

When it comes to the plot we want to keep things basic, there's the basic debate between the two elder races regarding how to handle the galaxy (Rigelans want to strongly guide species while the Arcturans believe in "let nature win"). We're not going to have any particular species that authorial fiat has decided is socially or politically the ideal which I've noticed in quite a few 4x games too.

The only real "political agenda" is that the humans do have a lot of ethnic and sex diversity in the various advisors. We do want even the "bad guys" such as the Tharrn to make sense though from at least their own perspective.

Subcultures are a good idea, but we want to do the main game first and I'd be something to explore in an expansion.

Everything is going to be turn based, and when it comes to micromanagement the idea is to be able to have build queues and AI management as options. Particularly in very large galaxies (legendary ones have 1024 stars that could have 10 planets each) micromanagement could make playing impossible.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 21, 2014

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Atarask, please tell me you're not relying on TV Tropes to do this game. Please.

That site is terrible and you should feel terrible if you're using it.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
I would be happy with an modern version of Stars! (aka Stars! Supernova that never got finished being developed)

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

LotsBread posted:

Atarask, please tell me you're not relying on TV Tropes to do this game. Please.

That site is terrible and you should feel terrible if you're using it.

'Trope' is an actual word, it isn't an invention of TVT.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
However, TVTropes invented trying to explain them using every anime and manga under the sun.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Atarask posted:

Basically we're wanting to do a MOO2 successor with better graphics.

I'm sold.

You going to have anything like the Antarean fleet attacks?

I always loved to try and capture them for the techs no one else could research, even if they were random.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

I am Communist posted:

I'm sold.

You going to have anything like the Antarean fleet attacks?

I always loved to try and capture them for the techs no one else could research, even if they were random.

The Rigelans and Arcturans play the role of the Antarans and Orions. The Rigelans have their Dyson Sphere (Rigel) while the Arcturans have a regular homeworld at the edge of the galaxy. They have specific elder race technologies (super-nova weaponry, heavy black hole generators) that you can acquire through doing favors with them (ex. voting for their power bloc to rule the galaxy) or from capturing their ships.

So instead of being random attacks, there's two full fledged factions that don't really colonize but use diplomacy and force to try to sway other species into line.

As for the mention of MOO1 and Stars! There's some things from each that we're working in. For MOO1 specifically there's things in its spying system like inciting rebellions that we're including. Other added things include assassinations of heroes or even emperors. Of course this could bite a player in the behind if the new leader has a more erratic personality and knows that the player was behind it! Overall though we wanted to add some more depth to spying mechanics to really make it a viable option.

Tied to spying will also be the fact that rebellions will behave more like the Total War games than MOO1 or MOO2 where they can become their own factions in their own right. So you could try to split an empire with a rebellion but perhaps the blowback from it might not actually be a good thing!

Also, I did want to mention that we're wanting this to be first and foremost: FUN and tying into the "one more turn" deal. So overly grognardy things like "ships must return to base before new missions because REALISM!" aren't happening. We want to have a sleek, minimalist UI that works well and also do things like AI management as an option (setting building priorities for colonies and even auto-design options for ship designs) so you can be as in depth or not as wanted. Most core aspects such as diplomacy, spying, and ship construction do require player intervention, period otherwise it turns into a MOO3 "the game can play itself" deal.

Although we're putting a lot of focus into tactical combat, autoresolve is an option there. Simply because in the late game things can really drag on. But still, it's a case where micromanagement of tactical or colonies if wanted can give a player an edge.

We're focusing on single player only, which also means we can do full crazy fun things like superstructures and system killers.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 21, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I am definitely liking the noises you're making. Too early for me to judge, of course, but you've got my attention at least :) Best of luck!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh cool it's Spiritual Successor to MOO #324. Can't wait to see in what way this particular attempt swings and misses.

I've heard "reimagining of MOO2" and "simple but deep" so many times it makes my head spin. Maybe this will end up being good somehow but until we have something to see this is just another entry in a long, long line of games trying to rekindle a decade long dying flame.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh cool it's Spiritual Successor to MOO #324. Can't wait to see in what way this particular attempt swings and misses.

I've heard "reimagining of MOO2" and "simple but deep" so many times it makes my head spin. Maybe this will end up being good somehow but until we have something to see this is just another entry in a long, long line of games trying to rekindle a decade long dying flame.

Well, the galaxy generation demo should give a early sense of the game so check that out. The tactical demo which will be coming out by January should really reinforce exactly what type of game this will be.

Galgen demo:
http://lordofrigel.com/Downloads/Galaxy_Demo.zip

We're making this game because the co-design lead and I have been burned many times by these sorts of claims by developers so we're really wanting to actually put our money where our mouth is on delivering the "upgraded graphics MOO2" game people actually want. Our most experimental thing are the two elder species, that are intended to help the pace of the end game which can be disabled if players want to just do a more standard MOO1 or 2 like game.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 22, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Atarask posted:

Well, the galaxy generation demo should give a early sense of the game so check that out. The tactical demo which will be coming out by January should really reinforce exactly what type of game this will be.

Galgen demo:
http://lordofrigel.com/Downloads/Galaxy_Demo.zip

We're making this game because the co-design lead and I have been burned many times by these sorts of claims by developers so we're really wanting to actually put our money where our mouth is on delivering the "upgraded graphics MOO2" game people actually want. Our most experimental thing are the two elder species, that are intended to help the pace of the end game which can be disabled if players want to just do a more standard MOO1 or 2 like game.

I just checked out the demo. I mean yes it has the kind of options you'd expect of a MOO successor but you could say that about Endless Space, Stardrive, and a bunch of other wannabe clones as well. What is there looks fine but what is there isn't much.

I just hope you realize what an uphill battle you're in for convincing people that you are finally the One True Successor of MOO because we've all heard it too many times. A million games have claimed to be the new MOO and so far you don't have anything to show that's different from them. I wish you luck and I'll be sure to check this game out where then is more of it to see, but I'm not going to be holding my breath in the meantime.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Well the ideas all seem sound. If it can deliver, that would be pretty sweet.

Xenonauts did a good job of remaking the original xcom. But no one has honestly recaptured the feel of MoO2. I'll be watching this with some hope.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

WarLocke posted:

Counterpoint: Sword of the Stars kept a good amount of customization while having insanely good atmosphere by having a set number of pre-defined races and building their game around them.

Well to answer this, customizable species is a planned core feature. However, they'll be handled like MOO2 in the sense of you pick a pre-existing species for the portrait and advisor art.

We're also doing unique fleet models for each species.

However, we do want to have modding support so custom portraits or models would be supported.

Species customization is built around traits, most of which are economic based (ex. +1 food, etc.) but there's some unique ones such as sapiophage where consuming the members of species on planets you occupy give a population bonus.

Our Reptilian species, the Tharrn have this trait and a very high reproductive rate but aren't the best farmers. So it encourages a gameplay style of conquering worlds and having to push on as burgeoning populations risk starving without fresh conquered worlds. (like the Zuul in SotS but with more eating involved)

Assimilator is also an option where instead of eating or enculturating alien populations you slowly convert their population units into your own. So you could create a Borg style species by combining the right traits.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Please just lock yourself in a room with enough food and water to last a week, and play MOO1 nonstop until your supplies run out. MOO1 is a very good game - the only weak part is the AI, but everything else is tight, very tight.
I mean, I suck at designing games, don't take my word for it, but MOO1 does 4X in a way that just works so well it's amazing. Sort of like X-COM.

The problem with developers trying to copy MOO2 and not MOO1, is that MOO2 has a lot more elements that can go horribly wrong: custom races, solar systems with many planets, commanders, food+freighters, build queues, oh god build queues are so so easy to gently caress up and make boring. MOO1 though, it's just sliders, moving ships and population, designing ships, research sliders and tech tree decision, and tactical ship battles (which are simple).

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I will be following this and I hope it works out for you OP.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Don't make heroes in this game.

Don't.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
So Atarask, how are things? I forgot to ask how big of a team do you have?

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't make heroes in this game.

Don't.

Heroes are a thing we liked in MOO2 and we are implementing.

However, we won't be including skill trees that players have to micromanage for each leader.

Instead what we're doing are two types of leaders:
1) Pre-generated mercenary types that can be hired (just like MOO2) and their skills get better as they level up.
2) Random "local leaders" from within your empire, they have random skills (some positive, some negative) but can acquire more skills based on context in game and as they level up.

So the "local leaders" can be worse than a hired leader, or much better, but don't cost upkeep.

Contextual events that can affect leaders include things like if the player uses bioweapons (that leader can earn a reputation for that), surviving in an escape pod, etc.

So, instead of skill trees the idea is that leaders get outright shaped by game events. More like how leader traits change in Medieval Total War (1).

Pochoclo posted:

Please just lock yourself in a room with enough food and water to last a week, and play MOO1 nonstop until your supplies run out. MOO1 is a very good game - the only weak part is the AI, but everything else is tight, very tight.
I mean, I suck at designing games, don't take my word for it, but MOO1 does 4X in a way that just works so well it's amazing. Sort of like X-COM.

The problem with developers trying to copy MOO2 and not MOO1, is that MOO2 has a lot more elements that can go horribly wrong: custom races, solar systems with many planets, commanders, food+freighters, build queues, oh god build queues are so so easy to gently caress up and make boring. MOO1 though, it's just sliders, moving ships and population, designing ships, research sliders and tech tree decision, and tactical ship battles (which are simple).

MOO1 is actually what got me started on strategy games. There's a lot of aspects of MOO1 that I prefer over MOO2, such as the research mechanics. But for LoR MOO2 is the main inspiration with all of the issues that you raise. We're making build queues easier, with options for pre-built queues and AI management options for different colony functions. Features seen in Galciv and Endless Space.

The espionage mechanics for LoR are closer to MOO1 than MOO2. You still build spies and place them onto defense or offense, but when it comes to actual spy missions the MOO1 options are there for things such as sabotage, tech stealing, and inciting rebellions. Assassination has also been added which can be used to kill leaders or an emperor (as in MOO1). Of course killing their leader means a new one, with new personality traits, takes over which can actually be worse if they know you did it...

I am Communist posted:

So Atarask, how are things? I forgot to ask how big of a team do you have?

We're working on the tactical combat demo, which we should have more to show by the end of January. Between that and the now more debugged galaxy generator we hope that should give a sense of what we're aiming for to drum up enough support to get crowdfunded.

Art is really the big issue since trying to do the same amount of assets a 1998 game had to modern standards is pretty time and labor consuming. We did have debates on going full 2d early on, but it came down to wanting to do it right the first time even if it took longer.

As for team size, it's a rather small core team:

Design: Accurus, Ace (me, Atarask)
3d Art: Newman, Oddgrim
2d and Concept Art: Anonymaus, ScotchDK
Coding: Tuxinet, Vulegends, Nolan
Music: Stephen Marciano, Ace
Sound Effects: Ace

Art wise we might need to expand a little simply due to the number of assets required but in all other fronts we have the people we need.

Of course if we had a magical UBIsoft budget and insane number of people we'd have this done in three months instead of aiming for a year or two :-P

Several of the team members including myself and newman helped head the BSG freeware game, Diaspora: Shattered Armistice. We're aiming for the same level of quality and polish that Diaspora's release has.

Also, as a little bonus:

Katraxi Battlestation Staging Area
https://p3d.in/WthFL

A battlestation with docked frigates from one of our species, the Katraxi (influenced by the Kzin from Niven's Known Space, the Kilrathi, and Mrrshan from MOO).

The Kat ships are by Newman.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 28, 2014

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I want three things from you

Mole people, hotseat support and goon betas

let me tell you the benefits of goon betas

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
If I can convert planets into space dust with a giant beam weapon, re-constitute the space dust into a barren world, terraform it into a utopia and construct a stargate inside low orbit, I will buy your game.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

LotsBread posted:

Hotseat is good. Pitboss MP is even better. Don't be like Firaxis; have pitboss that loving works from the beginning.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

LotsBread posted:

I want three things from you

let me tell you the benefits of goon betas

We're wanting to focus on singleplayer only. I've loved doing hotseat games for MOO2 back in the day but for the first release we want to focus on a solid singleplayer game. Part of the logic behind this is to allow for insane, overpowered things that work well in singleplayer but don't work well in multiplayer.

I also won't lie and say we'll have a super ultra smart AI. Strategy game AI is hard. What we're aiming for is a competent AI that has certain behaviors that make sense for different species for both strategic and tactical combat. For instance, some species might be more honor-focused and might target larger ships and have an aversion to ganging-up on targets. So we're trying to set up our logic for AI behaviors so certain species will emphasize some types of strategies and in the long run ship designs over others.

So although a good human player will be able to beat an AI, it should still pose unique challenges depending on what species you are fighting in a game.

Saying that the AI never cheats is another lie I don't want to have. But we're aiming for when it cheats for it to be reasonable and not immersion breaking. i.e. the AI cheats if it makes things more fun for the player and you shouldn't notice it.

As for Mole people, we do want to add some minor species (pre-FTL species you can interact with like the city states in Civ). So I wouldn't rule it out.

We'll want to do alpha and beta for backers.

User0015 posted:

If I can convert planets into space dust with a giant beam weapon, re-constitute the space dust into a barren world, terraform it into a utopia and construct a stargate inside low orbit, I will buy your game.

That's planned. Insane endgame techs like that are one of the reasons that multiplayer would be very unbalanced and why we want to focus on singleplayer.

So different planet killers are planned including ye olde beam weapon stellar converter. We're also planning on black hole generators and stellar imploders being able to be used against planets and stars.

So you can build an artificial planet, blow it up, and rebuild it.

Super engineering efforts involve orbitals (think ringworld or halo) and dyson spheres. One of the big ancient aliens, the Rigelans, have a dyson sphere which *shock* is protected by a guardian.

So you can theoretically blow up every star in the galaxy, build dyson spheres around them all, and blow them up again. Planet killing big guns really come out in a "final war" scenario where the galactic council fails and the elder races decide to clean house instead of playing diplomacy.

As for stargates, that's at the end of a tech tree. We don't want star lanes in the game since we wanted MOO1/2 style island-hopping. However, there are colony improvements that increase FTL speed between colonies with them (warp conduits, subspace conduits, then stargates). So you can construct "star lanes" between friendly colonies. Wormholes and stargates provide instant-travel between linked systems.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Since you said you're going to attempt crowdfunding then I unironically suggest that you lie or at least embellish at lot more than you are here. People don't like hearing realistic expectations of AI or that you have no current plans for multiplayer and they won't fund you if you say stuff like that. I suggest making some poo poo up about revolutionary AI (even if the things you say about it mean nothing), strongly suggesting that you have multiplayer plans "shortly following release", and paying a good artist a couple hundred bucks for some really good art for the diplomacy screens. That poo poo sells and will hugely increase the chance of successful crowdfunding.

I mean every word of what I just typed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Okay, now you REALLY got my interest

I love it when this sorta game has interactions between your huge, star-spanning empire and this itty-bitty system with two colonies, or better yet, a civ that hasn't reached Renaissance stage of technology.

How's it going to work, I need to know!

• Locked thread