Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2014/s4128249.htm

quote:

The summary cleared Qatar of corruption allegations over its winning bid, but it finds the Australian bidding for the 2022 World Cup effectively tried to bribe members of FIFA's executive.

How many cork hats and kangaroos do we have to give these loving officials until they let us host the cup? Stupid FIFA.
What did Russia give them that's so great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

krampster2 posted:

What did Russia give them that's so great?

a death threat

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

russia doesnt suck so bad, i say this as someone who doesnt follow the news or really know much about russia

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Can't even loving bribe people properly, gently caress this cuntry

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

BoonyPC posted:

Can't even loving bribe people properly, gently caress this cuntry

quote:

When Sir Winton Turnbull [who represented a large rural seat], a slow and sometimes stumbling speaker, was raving and ranting on the adjournment and shouted: "I am a Count–ry member". I interjected "I remember". Sir Winton could not understand why, for the first time in all the years he had been speaking in the House, there was instant and loud applause from both sides.

From a speech during a debate on the question That Politicians Have Lost Their Sense Of Humour, Sydney Town Hall, 24 May 2000

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
The problem is that after attempting to bribe the officials, we didn't have any left with which to bribe the ethics committee.

PS: For the love of god don't go to youtube and view Australia's World Cup bid video. I had nothing to do with it and remain embarrassed by association.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
Only Kangaroos and queers come from Australia.

Apthous fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 19, 2014

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Serak posted:

The problem is that after attempting to bribe the officials, we didn't have any left with which to bribe the ethics committee.

PS: For the love of god don't go to youtube and view Australia's bid video. I had nothing to do with it and remain embarrassed by association.

I imagine it's a short 10 second video of Tony Abbot just shaking a big wad of cash at the camera.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
sure, qatar didnt bribe anyone to get the world cup, fifa just decided itd be great to hold it in a place that'd throw suckers in jail for having a beer at a soccer game.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

shiksa posted:

sure, qatar didnt bribe anyone to get the world cup, fifa just decided itd be great to hold it in a place that'd throw suckers in jail for having a beer at a soccer game.

And is 120 degrees average in the summer.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Apthous posted:

Only Kangaroos and Queers come from Australia.

Capital letters are confusing I know.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Apthous posted:

And is 120 degrees average in the summer.

dont forget, no homos allowed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Qatar literally has slave labor building the facilities for the World Cup, I don't understand why FIFA doesn't give a poo poo.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Qatar literally has slave labor building the facilities for the World Cup, I don't understand why FIFA doesn't give a poo poo.

cos they obviously bribed them pretty drat well and are just saying Australia was the only country to offer bribes cos we always whinge about that poo poo.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Moridin920 posted:

It's because FIFA is filled with old white dudes that are conservative and they probably have raging boners over people in the middle east being hosed-over because that's how right-wingers think. Don't ask.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's like not even a secret whatsoever and nobody seems to really give a poo poo. The only thing really talked about in media is FIFA's corruption re the whole bribery thing but no one mentions hundreds of people dying and thousands being forced to work for free; it's kind of disgusting imo.

German FIFA executive posted:

"This feudal system existed [in Qatar] before the World Cup," he said. "What do you expect of a football organisation? Fifa is not the lawmaker in Qatar".

"We have a duty. The decision has been taken to grant the World Cup to Qatar, whether I like it or not."

lol get hosed

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 19, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I agree krampster2, they're dumb and gently caress them.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Justin Godscock posted:

It's because FIFA is filled with old white dudes that are conservative and they probably have raging boners over people in the middle east being hosed-over because that's how right-wingers think. Don't ask.

Reich wingers lol

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Justin Godscock posted:

the arabs arent doing any of the work lol

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
USA will hose the World Cup before AUS.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

It's like not even a secret whatsoever and nobody seems to really give a poo poo. The only thing really talked about in media is FIFA's corruption re the whole bribery thing but no one mentions hundreds of people dying and thousands being forced to work for free; it's kind of disgusting imo.

lol get hosed

fifa should have one guy whos job it is to take all the heat for all their lovely decisions. like a real-life wrestling heel. "none of us made the call to build the world cup on slave labor that ones all on raul" and then raul walks out on the pitch with his music blaring and blindsides alexi lalas with a steel chair.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I hope the kiwis get a successful world cup bid and rub it in Australia's face.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Serak posted:

PS: For the love of god don't go to youtube and view Australia's World Cup bid video. I had nothing to do with it and remain embarrassed by association.

Its even worse than that, only Australia and England actually provided any evidence for the report. Everyone else told them to gently caress off so as a result they've done nothing wrong

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

I hope the kiwis get a successful world cup bid and rub it in Australia's face.

I'd be ok with this as an aussie, it's a lot closer than loving Qatar, and at least they've qualified for a few WC's in the past and isn't a big loving desert.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Does Qatar even have a national team?
Because if they do they must be awesome.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Do we really need competition for the worlds most boring sport? Cricket already reigns supreme here thank you.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Nutsngum posted:

Do we really need competition for the worlds most boring sport? curling already reigns supreme here thank you.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The Olympics and World Cup aren't going to any democracies for the next 15-20 years. Places like China, Russia, and repressive Mid East regimes are only going to fork over the compunction and capital to outright bribe FIFA and IOC.

Tony Abbott might be top dog in Australia, he isn't in the same league to shirtfront guys like Putin.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
FIFA is hosed in the head mate. Bunch of right wankers they are aye. Too right

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Captain Matchbox posted:

FIFA is hosed in the head mate. Bunch of right wankers they are aye. Too right

loving oath oval office, someone should just smack those drongos I swear I'll do it me self if I have to.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Robbie Fowler posted:

I'd be ok with this as an aussie, it's a lot closer than loving Qatar, and at least they've qualified for a few WC's in the past and isn't a big loving desert.

It's not that big.

You can also get beer in Qatar, it's just ridiculously expensive.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

TLG James posted:

You can also get beer in Qatar, it's just ridiculously expensive.

Yeah you are right it just costs an arm and a leg.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

lonesomedwarf posted:

russia doesnt suck so bad, i say this as someone who doesnt follow the news or really know much about russia

A valuable opinion then.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Automatic Slim posted:

Tony Abbott might be top dog in Australia, he isn't in the same league to shirtfront guys like Putin.

bea is top dog now

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

soccer fags itt

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Stop bringing up Canada in every thread kthanks

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

hehe, what a funny image this is (only australians will undertsand!)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
although qatar is gonna be pretty drat hot australia would probably find a way to have a 30mph brush fire sweep through the stadium
followed by a rain of poisonous snakes

it is the way of australia

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

more like tony human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

ghlbtsk posted:

Does Qatar even have a national team?
Because if they do they must be awesome.

Do you know 10 people? Do they have feet? Odds are, you'd be a better team than Qatar.

But then again, if they can buy the World Cup, they can probably buy the World Cup referees also.

• Locked thread