Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Today, the annual Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame issue will come out. Who goes in? Who gets snubbed? We'll find out later today! This should be a fun place to discuss it either way.

This year's ballot is below.

The following candidates will be dropped from next year's ballot unless they are elected in or garner 50% of the vote:

Gene & Ole Anderson
Cien Caras
Carlos Colon
Gran Hamada
Volk Han
Owen Hart
Gorilla Monsoon
Fabulous Moolah
Pedro Morales
Dick Murdoch
Rock & Roll Express
Seiji Sakaguchi
Jimmy Snuka
Wilbur Snyder
Jesse Ventura

I FOLLOWED THE HISTORICAL PERFORMERS ERA CANDIDATES
Gene & Ole Anderson
The Assassins (Joe Hamilton & Tom Renesto)
Red Bastien
June Byers
Pepper Gomez
Dick Hutton
Pedro Morales
Ciclon Negro
Kinji Shibuya
Wilbur Snyder
John Tolos
Enrique Torres
Von Brauners & Saul Weingeroff
Tim "Mr. Wrestling" Woods
Johnny "Mr. Wrestling II" Walker

I FOLLOWED THE MODERN PERFORMERS IN U.S/CANADA CANDIDATES
Junkyard Dog
Edge
Owen Hart
Curt Hennig
Ivan Koloff
Brock Lesnar
Fabulous Moolah
Dick Murdoch
Ken Patera
C.M. Punk
Rock & Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson)
Sgt. Slaughter
Jimmy Snuka
Sting
Ultimate Warrior

I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN JAPAN CANDIDATES
Jun Akiyama
George Gordienko
Gran Hamada
Volk Han
Masahiko Kimura
Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Yuji Nagata
Seiji Sakaguchi
Mike & Ben Sharpe
Minoru Suzuki
Kiyoshi Tamura
Akira Taue

I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN MEXICO CANDIDATES
Brazo de Oro & Brazo de Plata & El Brazo
Cien Caras
Hector Garza
Ultimo Guerrero
Karloff Lagarde
Blue Panther
L.A. Park
Huracan Ramirez
El Signo & El Texano & Negro Navarro
Vampiro
Villano III
Dr. Wagner Jr.

I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN EUROPE CANDIDATES
Jim Breaks
Big Daddy
Giant Haystacks
Horst Hoffman
Billy Joyce
Kendo Nagasaki
Jackie Pallo
Rollerball Mark Rocco
Johnny Saint
Otto Wanz

I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA CANDIDATES
Spyros Arion
Johnny Barend
Brute Bernard & Skull Murphy
Carlos Colon
King Kong Czaja
John DaSilva
Domenic DeNucci
Killer Karl Kox
Mark Lewin
Mario Milano
Jan Wilkens

NON-WRESTLERS
Bill Apter
Dave Brown
Jim Crockett Jr.
Jim Crockett Sr.
Gary Hart
Jimmy Hart
Howard Finkel
Jerry Jarrett
Larry Matysik
Gorilla Monsoon
Gene Okerluind
Don Owen
George Scott
Jesse Ventura
Stanley Weston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They can probably just go ahead and take Dick Murdoch out of consideration.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Big Daddy or Bust

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Owen & The R&R Express for work.
Carlos Colon for drawing in PR.
Monsoon & Ventura for non-wrestlers, even though Monsoon will never get in.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Brock's going to be an interesting case since he's an obvious first ballot choice if you give him credit for his MMA career but falls a bit short if you don't.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I expect a heavy lucha year with Cien Caras, Los Brazos and Los Misioneros de la Muerte getting in. Gran Hamada should get in on legacy alone, but I fear he won't make it. Colon should go in but he might be seen as too close to Invader I amongst voters. Punk's early retirement will be an interesting thing to follow in future years. I don't think he makes it now, but he might be a later influence pick. Europe will be an interesting region with folks like Breaks and Saint who one can make argument in favor. Surprising that the Rock and Rolls and Jimmy Hart aren't in the Hall of Fame yet.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/ had a pretty good series of Hall of Fame podcasts, outside of when Bix or DylanWaco went on tangents.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
As leaked through today's Figure Four Daily, the Rock and Roll Express made it in this ballot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pedro Morales isn't in? What? :psyduck:

Mr. Wrestling II isn't either?

And I'm sorry, Edge and Punk should not even be nominated.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
^^ These aren't "nominations" they are just names of wrestlers suggested based of how long they've been active in wrestling. They become active after a certain amount of years and depending on how low some votes are they get taken out of suggestion. Like AJ Styles was on the ballot last year, barely got votes and was kicked off the lists.

Was looking for this thread! I guess Bryan let one of the inductees this year slip. Anyway, are those two groups of 3 luchadores a stable? Would they be the first stable inducted?

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 19, 2014

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm a bit surprised that the Rock and Roll Express wasn't in yet.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
R&R Express absolutely deserve it, glad they finally got over the threshold. The others I can definitely see going either way, interested to see what happens.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

KungFu Grip posted:

^^ These aren't "nominations" they are just names of wrestlers suggested based of how long they've been active in wrestling. They become active after a certain amount of years and depending on how low some votes are they get taken out of suggestion. Like AJ Styles was on the ballot last year, barely got votes and was kicked off the lists.

Was looking for this thread! I guess Bryan let one of the inductees this year slip. Anyway, are those two groups of 3 luchadores a stable? Would they be the first stable inducted?

Oh, okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

Anyway, are those two groups of 3 luchadores a stable? Would they be the first stable inducted?
I don't think they're really 'stables,' just Trios teams. Lots of mexican promotions have/had Trios titles for teams of 3.

Also, aren't the Freebirds (Hayes, Roberts, Gordy) in?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Endorph posted:

I don't think they're really 'stables,' just Trios teams. Lots of mexican promotions have/had Trios titles for teams of 3.

Ahhh that's right the Freebirds are in.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Endorph posted:

Yes, and when the Midnight Express was inducted Lane, Eaton, and Condrey were all included.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Endorph posted:

The importance (at least in my mind) of Los Brazos and Los Misionerios were that they were the first ones that made money and popularized the format in Lucha. Previous you would have tag teams like La Pareja Atomica (Santo/Gory Guerrero) but these two trios were the ones UWA went with to start the trend. Negro Navarro is still an incredible worker to this day and he's nearly 60.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
jimmy hart seems like one of the biggest "uhh how the gently caress is this guy not in already" ones to me

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Spermgod posted:

jimmy hart seems like one of the biggest "uhh how the gently caress is this guy not in already" ones to me

He was gold in Memphis, but afterwards he was just sort of there.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

ChampRamp posted:

He was gold in Memphis, but afterwards he was just sort of there.

he was essentially the top heel in memphis for how long?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Spermgod posted:

he was essentially the top heel in memphis for how long?

As soon as Jerry Lawler turned face. He also deserves to get in with his music ability in terms of being one of the first big designer of custom themes.

Also probably for whatever blood rite he committed to stick with Hogan his entire career and look that way at almost 70.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Also probably for whatever blood rite he committed to stick with Hogan his entire career and look that way at almost 70.

hairdye and sunglasses

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

quote:

Dropped next year from the ballot are Gene & Ole Anderson, Gran Hamada, Owen Hart, Gorilla Monsoon, Fabulous Moolah, Pedro Morales, Dick Murdoch, Seiji Sakaguchi, Jimmy Snuka, Wilbur Snyder and Jesse Ventura.

Lesnar didn't make it either, coming 13 ballots shy. Carlos Colon six votes shy.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Who cares about losers, wheres that Big Daddy and Sting entries?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The Rock and Roll Express were the only new inductees.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

KungFu Grip posted:

Who cares about losers, wheres that Big Daddy and Sting entries?

Big Daddy had 43% and 19 votes short
Sting had 33% and 88 votes short

Nagata ranked #1 amongst active wrestlers. Volk Han and Misioneros did pretty well.

Added to the ballot next year: Cima, Bryan Danielson, Cowboy Bob Ellis, Bob Geigel, Samoa Joe, Rocky Johnson, Shinsuke Nakamura, Randy Orton, Eddie Quinn, A.J. Styles

I can only see Dragon, Nakamura, Orton out that group. As much as I love CIMA (and can make a hell of an argument for him), if Hamada's not getting in, he won't either.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hall of Fame Hoot

e: Poor AJ is gonna be dropped from the ballot after 1 year again.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

wait didn't AJ Styles already get dropped from the ballot?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

oatgan posted:

wait didn't AJ Styles already get dropped from the ballot?

Yes. Last year. He's being re-added next year.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yes. Last year. He's being re-added next year.

loving Dave and his puro

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

The Rock and Roll Express were the only new inductees.

Ouch, really?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Big Daddy had 43% and 19 votes short
Sting had 33% and 88 votes short

Nagata ranked #1 amongst active wrestlers. Volk Han and Misioneros did pretty well.

Added to the ballot next year: Cima, Bryan Danielson, Cowboy Bob Ellis, Bob Geigel, Samoa Joe, Rocky Johnson, Shinsuke Nakamura, Randy Orton, Eddie Quinn, A.J. Styles

I can only see Dragon, Nakamura, Orton out that group. As much as I love CIMA (and can make a hell of an argument for him), if Hamada's not getting in, he won't either.

Wouldn't you be able to make the argument that DG is more successful than UWF and CIMA was their ace for a while, and probably a bigger star in general?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

oatgan posted:

loving Dave and his puro
I get what he's going for but it's way too soon. If AJ gets in it will be after several years in Japan. Wait for him to hit 40 so you don't end up in a stupid situation where AJ gets dropped twice before getting in.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Ouch, really?

Not quite. A pre war promoter named Ray Fabiani also made it.
code:
WRESTLING OBSERVER HALL OF FAME BALLOTING RESULTS
PERFORMER	       VOTES	PCT	2013
ROCK & ROLL EXPRESS	212	64%	55%
Brock Lesnar	        185	56%	47%
Carlos Colon	        76	56%	59%
Cien Caras	        53	54%	45%
Volk Han	        52	51%	42%
Gene & Ole Anderson	119	49%	52%
Ivan Koloff	        159	48%	34%
Karloff Lagarde	        47	48%	52%
The Assassins	        117	48%	53%
Mike & Ben Sharpe	47	46%	39%
Dick Murdoch	        147	45%	46%
Jerry Jarrett	        145	44%	38%
Jim Crockett Sr.	107	44%	44%
Big Daddy	        46	43%	38%
Jesse Ventura	        139	42%	39%
Bill Apter	        138	42%	43%
Mark Lewin	        51	38%	48%
Yuji Nagata	        38	37%	26%
Los Misioneros  	35	36%	----
Edge	                117	36%	37%
Jimmy Hart	        117	36%	34%
Gene Okerlund	        117	36%	35%
Fabulous Moolah	        114	35%	32%
Seiji Sakaguchi	        35	34%	34%
Red Bastien	        83	34%	41%
Sting!!!	        110	33%	33%
Gorilla Monsoon	        110	33%	27%
Pedro Morales	        81	33%	22%
Gary Hart	        108	33%	34%
Villano III	        32	33%	41%
Rollerball Mark Rocco	35	32%	39%
Killer Karl Kox	        44	32%	50%
Stanley Weston	        75	31%	39%
Don Owen	        99	30%	29%
Jun Akiyama	        30	29%	----
Gran Hamada	        30	29%	30%
Howard Finkel    	95	29%	30%
Johnny Saint	        31	29%	32%
Wilbur Snyder	        69	28%	24%
Blue Panther	        27	28%	41%
Billy Joyce	        29	27%	22%
Jackie Pallo	        29	27%	46%
Huracan Ramirez	        26	27%	19%
Enrique Torres	        62	25%	34%
George Gordienko	26	25%	25%
Otto Wanz	        26	25%	----
Mr. Wrestling I	        58	24%	32%
Ultimo Guerrero	        23	24%	----
L.A. Park	        23	24%	46%
Dr. Wagner Jr.	        23	24%	35%
Masahiko Kimura	        24	23%	16%
Kiyoshi Tamura	        24	23%	44%
Horst Hoffman	        25	23%	21%
Curt Hennig	        76	23%	30%
Jim Crockett Jr.	75	23%	26%
Minoru Suzuki	        23	22%	----
Sgt. Slaughter	        71	22%	24%
Domenic DeNucci	        29	21%	37%
Mr Wrestling II	        52	21%	29%
Owen Hart	        69	21%	21%
Ultimate Warrior	65	20%	----
C.M. Punk	        63	19%	----
George Scott	        63	19%	----
Jimmy Snuka	        61	19%	20%
Ten Cozy	        17	17%	----
Los Brazos	        16	16%	----
Larry Matysik	        39	16%	---
Junkyard Dog	        52	16%	----
Akira Taue	        16	16%	----
Hector Garza	        15	15%	32%
Kendo Nagasaki	        16	15%	39%
Spyros Arion	        20	15%	22%
June Byers	        35	14%	20%
Kinji Shibuya	        35	14%	15%
Jim Breaks	        15	14%	16%
Dick Hutton	        32	13%	11%
Dave Brown	        43	13%	12%
John Tolos	        31	13%	26%
Brute Bernard
and Skull Murphy	16	12%	----
Vampiro	                11	11%	16%
Mario Milano	        15	11%	14%
Johnny Barend	        14	10%	16%
Pepper Gomez	        25	10%	16%
Von Brauners/Weingeroff	25	10%	19%

quote:

Votes needed for induction into the Hall of Fame: U.S. and Canada modern (198); U.S. and Canada historical (147); Japan (62); Mexico (59); Pacific Islands, Australia, New Zealand, Puerto Rico (82); Europe (65)
Less than 10% of the votes from the region and dropped from next year’s ballot: Ciclon Negro, Giant Haystacks, Ken Patera, Emil “King Kong” Czaya, John DaSilva, Jan Wilkens
Dropped from next year’s ballot due to 15 year/50% rule: Gene & Ole Anderson, Gran Hamada, Owen Hart, Gorilla Monsoon, Fabulous Moolah, Pedro Morales, Dick Murdoch, Seiji Sakaguchi, Jimmy Snuka, Wilbur Snyder, Jesse Ventura
Will be dropped after next year if not inducted or 50%: Cien Caras, Carlos Colon, Villano III, Volk Han

I personally think Lesnar deserves it, but I also think his UFC career counts. He'll almost certainly go down in history as the only man to win the IWGP, WWE, and UFC Heavyweight Championships and even though he was poo poo at one of those that's still drat impressive.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I believe in Big Daddy. Next year is his year.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

big daddy v will be inducted next year

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

code:
This is some poo poo. Warrior and Punk are significantly better candidates. They crush the other 2 on merch sales and main eventing big shows. Punk has 18 4+ star matches. Hart and Hennig have 9 or less.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

code:
This is some poo poo. Warrior and Punk are significantly better candidates. They crush the other 2 on merch sales and main eventing big shows. Punk has 18 4+ star matches. Hart and Hennig have 9 or less.

Warrior has never been a good candidate. Such a short time period on top (and really wasn't doing the business they hoped he would be doing.) Horrible worker, and not really well liked by his contemporaries. Punk gets hit by recency. You're going to have to be a Cena or Tanahashi to get in first ballot as an active/recently retired wrestler. Hennig isn't a HOFer by any means but he is incredibly well thought of inside the industry from a work standpoint. And Owen gets a lot of sympathy votes (as cold as it sounds.)

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wouldn't you be able to make the argument that DG is more successful than UWF and CIMA was their ace for a while, and probably a bigger star in general?

That'd be a few of my points. Also I'd argue CIMA's role as "ace" was a more impressive than say Nagata/young Nakamura in NJPW or Mutoh when was in charge of All Japan. (Longer tenure as ace, more reflective of ticket sales and boosting Dragon Gate from being a medium sized indy to now the prohibitive #2 in the region). Also CIMA's style of lucharesu has direct influence to modern US indie when you look at folks like Gargano, Cole, PAC/Neville and Generico/Zayn.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Punk is probably going to fall significantly next year too considering the entering candidates.

I think Bryan and even Orton will take a lot of his vote. Bryan's an interesting case. Not sure he'll get in first ballot. I think he eventually goes in, but he's got a strong case already on work and having a successful Wrestlemania built around him (which I know some people won't count). Who knows.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 20, 2014

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Seriously don't buy the argument for Lesnar in the HOF.

Dave ranked the top 30 vote-getters among all voter categories.

STING

Historians: NOT IN TOP 20 (#27)
Active Wrestlers: NOT IN TOP 20 (#28)
Former Wrestlers: NOT IN THE TOP 30 (NR)
Reporters: NOT IN TOP 20 (#21)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Brock Lesnar convinced wrestling fans to buy UFC pay per views. Some people think this counts.

I don't think Bryan will do very well. Edge can't break 40% and to my knowledge he is not dismissed by a significant number of retired guys.

e:

quote:

After The Fabulous Ones became huge draws in Tennessee and Kentucky through use of music videos in the early 80s, Jerry Lawler put Morton & Gibson together
PSP-TV knows who the real Hall of Famers are.

• Locked thread