Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The night that indirectly lead to Russ wearing polka dots, a good night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

My favorite moment that seems to be forgotten can actually be seen in the replay videos for a few seconds is when Jamaal Tinsley comes back out of the tunnel wielding a broom pan like a sword.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Wow, that Jermaine O'Neal quote about punching the fan makes him sound like a big piece of poo poo. Though I wouldn't expect someone who called the NBA age requirement "unconstitutional" to say something intelligent.

Igor Strelkov posted:

Rasheed Wallace was the most vocal critic of Donaghy before the evidence came out. So who knows.

Yeah, Rasheed actually got suspended for 7 games for threatening Donaghy after a home game in Portland in 2003.

BigBoss posted:

I get why they were raw. A death, especially of a family member who is not elderly can do that to a person. People react in different ways, and that was probably the wrong time to foul Ben hard.

Maybe I'm crazy, but that foul didn't even look particularly hard. Artest made sure he didn't get an easy two and had to go to the line, which is pretty much textbook defense on Ben Wallace. If Wallace was in such a fragile state of mind that he couldn't handle a regular part of the game, he probably shouldn't have been playing.

More shocking is that Pistons appeared to run an offensive play for Ben Wallace in the post.

Also, why the hell are any of the starters even in the game at that point?

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 20, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

That's fair I guess, but I always saw Artest's actions as one of those "I'm going to act like I'm de-escalating/removing but really I'm going to keep goading" types of things. I didn't see the game live but it did look chippy as hell, and as has been repeated 15 times the Refs could have done 1000 things to simmer it down but didn't.

Actually your interpretation is probably more correct than mine. I guess I gave him too much credit (I did buy an Artest jersey that year!)

Rick posted:

I didn't have a TV at the time, so this is one of those things that I know happened, I see tape of it happening, but it doesn't feel real to me because I saw it so far after the fact.

I feel the same way about Amare's 2005 WCF stats when I was out of the country.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but that foul didn't even look particularly hard.

In isolation, it isn't that bad, particularly for that time in the NBA. But it was the culmination of a lot of rough play and hard fouls over the course of the game. Consider, too, that it came with 45 seconds left in a game that was already decided - it was Artest taking a whack at Wallace just because he could. That play wasn't going to have any impact whatsoever on the outcome of the game, short of triggering a brawl. :ironicat:

quote:

Yeah, this. The thing people forget is the game was already decided when the fight started.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently the Pacers were short handed that night, but that doesn't explain why the Pistons still had Ben Wallace in the game. But that was probably the point in time Larry Brown was checked out mentally so he didn't give a gently caress until the crowd got involved and then he could play the indignant card

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

OneTruePecos posted:

In isolation, it isn't that bad, particularly for that time in the NBA. But it was the culmination of a lot of rough play and hard fouls over the course of the game. Consider, too, that it came with 45 seconds left in a game that was already decided - it was Artest taking a whack at Wallace just because he could. That play wasn't going to have any impact whatsoever on the outcome of the game, short of triggering a brawl. :ironicat:

Artest took a whack (the oral history highlighted how Artest could get one) because the Pistons took a whack before that because probably the Pacers took a whack before that. The refs let that poo poo get out of hand

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Artest took a whack (the oral history highlighted how Artest could get one) because the Pistons took a whack before that because probably the Pacers took a whack before that. The refs let that poo poo get out of hand

Oh yeah, no doubt. The officiating was complete garbage; Donaghy being part of the crew just makes the whole thing perfect. The teams were going back and forth at each other all night and the refs really didn't even seem to try to control it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Crazy Ted posted:

When Jermaine O'Neal went to throw that punch, I was certain I was going to watch a guy die on the spot on live TV. I still don't know how he basically missed.

There was water on the floor so luckily he slipped right as he was about to make contact.

Also I still love you Ron Ron.

Also also Rasheed was right about the dirty loving refs all along. The NBA is my abusive spouse.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In the aftermath of the brawl, I remember at least one or two columnists using it to contrast how the NHL "did fighting right", so to speak, compared to the NBA or NFL. Their logic being that if you let two guys go at it once in a while, it prevents the huge blow-up brawls from happening.

It was some amazing mental gymnastics.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Man, the early 2000s were a special time
Way late but I forgot that this was also around the time that Qyntel Woods tried to use his Topps rookie card in lieu of a driver's license after being pulled over in Portland.

Also, note that two of the four videos I posted have already been taken down.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

DJExile posted:

In the aftermath of the brawl, I remember at least one or two columnists using it to contrast how the NHL "did fighting right", so to speak, compared to the NBA or NFL. Their logic being that if you let two guys go at it once in a while, it prevents the huge blow-up brawls from happening.

Especially considering the NHL has had fights erupt into the stands, as well. But those don't garner nearly as much media attention. Gee, I wonder why?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Especially considering the NHL has had fights erupt into the stands, as well. But those don't garner nearly as much media attention. Gee, I wonder why?
I'm okay with fighting in the NHL because it gave us Mike Milbury hitting a dude with his own shoes.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Must have something to do with the color of the floor

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

DJExile posted:

Yes, the NHL has "boys will be boys letting off some steam" - thankfully it doesn't have any thugs with their rap music.

Last year O'Neal seemed pretty thoughtful and well spoken on GSW. It's weird, I always think of him as almost killing that dude. He did try to kill Blake last year though, so the elder statesman thing must take a lot of energy to keep up.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
I wasn't in the US when it happened and I don't remember the news in France ever mentioning it. I probably found out about it randomly a couple years later.

Intruder posted:

The night that indirectly lead to Russ wearing polka dots, a good night

And this:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I remember being in my dorm room and just standing up staring slack jawed at the tv. I think I sent messages to 50 people on AIM telling them to immediately turn on EPSN and watch this.

The rest of the season as a Pacer fan was like the few weeks after a car crash. You are hypersensitive about every other thing that happens are are sure it's going to happen again.

Besides the obvious "loving thug Detroit fans," Pacers fans mostly bitched that Reggie Miller got a single game suspension.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Athanatos posted:

Pacers fans mostly bitched that Reggie Miller got a single game suspension.

I'm still unsure of why he was suspended. From my understanding it was for leaving the bench, but didn't like, everyone leave the bench?

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
I watched that entire game live when it happened, was a freshman in college. I remember very vividly how it all went down and yeah it was a chippy game. But even at the time, and you hear the announcer say it, I thought Ben Wallace freaked the gently caress out for no reason. Regardless, it was none of the players' faults for the events that unfolded. It was entirely the terrible trashy Detroit fans. Like, when have you ever seen a cup of beer thrown in a player's face? That's why Ron ran into the stands. Then the reaction by the rest of the fans was psychotic -- who runs onto the floor like that? I'm with Jermaine O'Neal, they were just protecting themselves. Thousands of ravenous fans out for your blood, they had no other choice. The NBA suspended them for image reasons and that's it, it was the fans of Detroit who were the problem here.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Bill Laimbeer treating it as just another event from 1989 was the best part of the game.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Bill Laimbeer treating it as just another event from 1989 was the best part of the game.

Yeah

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I was sitting at the bar of my 99.3% white town with this on tv when it happened. Hoooo boy, the amount of times I heard the words friend of the family, monkeys and thugs was unbelievable. And half of the 50 people in the place were probably wearing some kind of clothing for the Syracuse Orangemen. I was restocking the bar at my restaurant the next day in the private room with the TV and I made sure I was up there from x:00 to x:15 for about 4 straight hours so I could watch it over and over on sports center.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
This Stephen Jackson interview with Lebatard is worth a listen:

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/3/d/b/3db160...53&c_id=7893679

Also, after that segment from Weds show, Bomani Jones and Dan talked to one of Sports Center guys who randomly called in (I forget who it was off the top of my head) about how the narrative changed over night. It was really interesting, because they were openly talking on ESPN Radio about how ESPN executives flat out told the anchors to change the narrative. When it first happened, everyone was blaming the fans for inciting the fights. Literally overnight the narrative changed to the players being the violent instigators. Check out their podcast on https://www.theticketmiami.com from this Weds, because its a fascinating and rare peak into the behind the scenes machinations of changing a media narrative.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I remember going over to my friends' apparement for a party in college and the news kept showing clips of it. Everyone was glued to the TV in disbelief.

Something weird to think about--when this happened, youtube hadn't been created yet. If you didn't see it on the news, there wasn't a great way to watch it after the fact. I'm guessing some gross site like ebaum's world had clips of it, though?

Brogeoisie posted:

I watched that entire game live when it happened, was a freshman in college. I remember very vividly how it all went down and yeah it was a chippy game. But even at the time, and you hear the announcer say it, I thought Ben Wallace freaked the gently caress out for no reason. Regardless, it was none of the players' faults for the events that unfolded. It was entirely the terrible trashy Detroit fans. Like, when have you ever seen a cup of beer thrown in a player's face? That's why Ron ran into the stands. Then the reaction by the rest of the fans was psychotic -- who runs onto the floor like that? I'm with Jermaine O'Neal, they were just protecting themselves. Thousands of ravenous fans out for your blood, they had no other choice. The NBA suspended them for image reasons and that's it, it was the fans of Detroit who were the problem here.

I don't see anyone can portray this Jermaine punch as just "protecting himself": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw66OikTy9U

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Does anyone know if the local Pistons and Pacers version of the broadcast exists?

I seem to recall the Pistons version and it had someone using a telestrator to point out the fans who caused all of this if memory serves correct.

What's bizarre is I don't recall hearing Fred McLeod call the Pistons version despite the fact he was the TV voice of the Pistons at the time if Wikipedia is to be believed.

e: To answer my own question, here's the Indiana version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYAs4-Fa0CA

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Did the Pistons not have security guards on hand? It's kind of amazing how you don't see any security guards come in and try to defuse the situation.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Niwrad posted:

Did the Pistons not have security guards on hand? It's kind of amazing how you don't see any security guards come in and try to defuse the situation.

I think I remember hearing there were like 3 or 4 in the whole arena.

I remember watching it while in college with my roommate and we just kept looking at each other like "Holy poo poo, is this actually happening? Can it get worse?" and, yes, it was happening, and yes, it did get worse. It was kind of amazing.

That interview with Jackson is great and he used to talk about it a bit when he was on GSW. And the GSW radio/broadcast team still talks about it, especially the "Hey, do you think we're gonna get in trouble?" bit.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

FuzzySkinner posted:

Does anyone know if the local Pistons and Pacers version of the broadcast exists?

I seem to recall the Pistons version and it had someone using a telestrator to point out the fans who caused all of this if memory serves correct.

What's bizarre is I don't recall hearing Fred McLeod call the Pistons version despite the fact he was the TV voice of the Pistons at the time if Wikipedia is to be believed.

e: To answer my own question, here's the Indiana version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYAs4-Fa0CA

The Pistons announcer was George Blaha at the time. But it was a national TV game and I was watching ESPN so I couldn't tell you.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I still can't believe that Ron Artest actually changed his name to "Metta World Peace". And that he might be changing it again to "The Pandas Friend" if that wasn't a parody article.

Also this whole event was somewhere between hilarious and horrifying, and I'm both sad and glad that I didn't see it live.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Didn't Ron Artest appear naked, out of the mist, in the Lakers' showers, and give counsel to Kobe Bryant after he lost the 2007/8 NBA Finals?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Didn't Ron Artest appear naked, out of the mist, in the Lakers' showers, and give counsel to Kobe Bryant after he lost the 2007/8 NBA Finals?

There is no story that I would not believe about Ron Artest, after the table-leg revelation.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Please stop posting my sexual fantasies.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

mdemone posted:

There is no story that I would not believe about Ron Artest, after the table-leg revelation.

the progression of realization in the NBA threads at the time was hilarious.

"Oh Ron just saying crazy poo poo again because he is amped up"

"Lmao that dude is loving nuts"

"Wait so he really did see some crazy rear end fights but not a death by table leg"

"HOLY poo poo HE WASNT loving WITH US, A DUDE REALLY GOT KILLED WITH A loving TABLE LEG "

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Yeah, and it's pretty much a perfect Ron Artest story:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1702518-an-oral-history-of-metta-world-peaces-days-with-the-los-angeles-lakers

an alternative to clicking on bleacher report:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/Ron-Artest-and-Kobe-Bryant-In-The-Shower.html

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Y'know, there's a show that debuted a while ago called Mike Tyson Mysteries. It's a cartoon where Mike Tyson goes around with a talking bird solving mysteries. Naturally, some people objected at the idea of selling Mike's image to kids and young people given some of his actions in the past.

Artest would be perfect for it, because he has enough self-awareness to go along with it, and it could be funny.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I can't picture anything but the scene in game of thrones were oberyn approaches tyrion, except naked and more insane

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Dang this is where I wish I had archives to check out the GDT and N/V from then.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Artest was just a cheap Vernon Maxwell imitator anyway

Crazy ol' Vern was punching fans and flashing guns at motorists way back in 95.

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 22, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Something weird to think about--when this happened, youtube hadn't been created yet. If you didn't see it on the news, there wasn't a great way to watch it after the fact. I'm guessing some gross site like ebaum's world had clips of it, though?

If it was something substantial it'd get put up on all those other video channels (there were a lot before Youtube) and even before the video channels popular things would get put up on torrent sites/P2P networks/IRC file servers/newsgroups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Canuck posted:

Dang this is where I wish I had archives to check out the GDT and N/V from then.

There was in fact a 27-page thread dedicated just to the fight right after it happened. I'll try to skim through and find some highlights, and find the GDT. But a cursory glance shows that it's nice that the sense of humor hasn't really changed around here!

Fishing with Fredo posted:

Poor shot selection by Artest in the stands. I expect him to to connect on those short range attempts.

• Locked thread