Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Actually, there was no GDT back then, but Jack_Handey posted a thread right as it happened here called "Mayhem in Detroit." Here's how it starts:

Jack_Handey posted:

Is anyone watching the Pacers @ Detroit game that just got called? It's loving chaos, well, it was. It's the most awe inspiring thing I've ever seen in sports.

Korranus posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that watching sports. That kind of crap is reserved for soccer hooligans.

vanbags posted:

Mind explaining what happened?

Actually Moby posted:

HAHAHAH holy crap

Someone threw a beer bottle at Artest's face from two feet away.

Dr. Feelgood posted:

They just showed a replay on the Bulls game. Crazy.

Vodkahandstand posted:

i just heard about this,,,,,im watching now but its over,,,,hopefully we can see a replay somewhere

vanbags posted:

Ron Artest? How bad did it hurt him?

Looks like I got a reason to watch SportCenter tonight.

zakharov posted:

Can someone give an actual description of what happened?

Crazy Ted posted:

Artest fouls Wallace.
Ben Wallace shoves Artest in the throat.
Players push and shove.
Artest lays on the scorers table.
Fan throws beer and bottle on Artest.
Artest goes into stands, tries to beat the poo poo out of fan.
All hell breaks loose - fights on the court, in the stands.
Beer, pop, food thrown on Pacers players as they leave the court.
Game ends early.

I know my grammar's lovely, but I'm still watching the recap of everything on ESPN NEWS.

Korranus posted:

Here's Neodynium's take from #sas: [long IRC conversation] So basically, emotions were running high, the teams got physical, and when things seemed to be cooling down, some random fan throws a beer at Ron Artest, and he goes into the stands after this guy. Both teams follow Artest in and the front rows erupt in a riot. The game is called early and Indiana wins.

And so on. I'll see if anything more interesting comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Xenophon posted:

And so on. I'll see if anything more interesting comes up.
Actually I don't think you'll find anything more interesting than that, because at the time we were all pretty much WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON?!?!? Remember, this was in the days of yore before the Tweeter and the YouTV and GeniusPhones.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm pretty sure I watched the same ESPN News show 5 times in a row that night. Mesmerizing

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

mojo868 posted:

I hope I'm not being overly dramatic when I say this, but the first thing I thought of when I saw this brawl was 9/11. I had that same feeling and I know I'll remember where I was and who I was with when this happened. Obviously it changes sports for ever.
The image that will stick in my mind most will be Jermaine O'Neill having the soda/beer poured on him on the way out. Things like this could only happen in Detroit. New York, Boston, Philly, and Chicago would never stoop this low, nor would any other sports town in America for that matter. gently caress Detroit for doing this to us.

ALFbrot posted:

I should loving ban you for this stupid poo poo.

The general NBA thread for November '04 has some good debate about who threw the best punch. The initial rumor seems to have been 30 games for Artest, and most people thought even that was excessive.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 22, 2014

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Juaguocio posted:

The general NBA thread for November '04 has some good debate about who threw the best punch. The initial rumor seems to have been 30 games for Artest, and most people thought even that was excessive.

That loving quote is amazing.

• Locked thread