Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Yeah those tight radius splines make things less easy, but there are probably people out there better at this than me. Not exactly what I pictured when I read sprocket. Maybe this is the job for a live tooling lathe or a setup on an indexer? Or get one of those joints who laser sinters metal to take a peek :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Okay now this is properly brilliant:
3D Printed, Working miniature manual transmission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB34I33Bqrg

Found here:
http://3dprint.com/50265/3d-printed-toyota-transmission/

By way of:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/03/make-toyota-transmission-home-kind/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I want that so bad

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

slidebite posted:

I want that so bad

Oh you mean you went "I wanna play with it tooooo!" also?

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

I use Alibre which I think its called Geomagic now.

CommieGIR posted:

123D Design by AutoDesk, includes tools for 3D printing.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I stopped by my university last weekend to see some friends and check out their current Supermileage vehicle. Going from all carbon fiber to mostly aluminum was an improvement.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
This might be a bit boring but could someone smart do a good writeup on
02 sensors and fuel trims. Specifically what numbers (mv) to look for when doing a diag on convertors, emissions and 02 sensors?
Or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Party Alarm posted:

The next step in this process was to remove the stock e30 hubs and do a LOT of measuring. I wanted to be sure this idea was viable before I reached the point of no return and pressed the hubs on, so I mocked up both the front and rear assemblies in Solidworks.

Could you please email me at SA<My name>@gmail.com? I've got a similar, but different brake project in mind, and I'd love to be able to use your models to save some time.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a very very custom brakes issue that I need some help in visualizing. This is on my 6x6. Would this be the thread to ask in ? I need to redesign the plumbing as the brake system is 2 separate systems. System 1 drives the steer axle, System 2 drives the rear two axles. Both systems are actuated from a single brake pedal that drives 2 master cylinders which each drive two seperate vacuum assisted slave cylinders.

The problem is System 2 is driving double the brake cylinders and so requires double the volume change to make the brakes work. I'm running out of volume before the rear axles brakes engage. I think.

All 6 brakes are rockwell military 15" drum brakes driven by a single brake cylinder for each wheel.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

jonathan posted:

I have a very very custom brakes issue that I need some help in visualizing. This is on my 6x6. Would this be the thread to ask in ? I need to redesign the plumbing as the brake system is 2 separate systems. System 1 drives the steer axle, System 2 drives the rear two axles. Both systems are actuated from a single brake pedal that drives 2 master cylinders which each drive two seperate vacuum assisted slave cylinders.

The problem is System 2 is driving double the brake cylinders and so requires double the volume change to make the brakes work. I'm running out of volume before the rear axles brakes engage. I think.

All 6 brakes are rockwell military 15" drum brakes driven by a single brake cylinder for each wheel.

Dumb question, are the read drums adjustable and have they been adjusted?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So all the wheel cylinders are the same size? Having double the area for the rear master cylinder will give you the same displacement for each end, which you want to get them all to engage simultaneously, but only half the force at each rear wheel. So if you plumbed a bias valve into the front system you could reduce the line pressure if there is too much front brake.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Also see: brake balance bars

e: Shouldn't the volume change be a smaller concern than the force at each brake drum? I imagine properly adjusted only a small amount of pedal travel is for take up, most goes to pressure -> force at the brake pad right?

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 26, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sorry I posted the brake issue and then got sent to work on a 20 hour shift. I'll clarify and answer questions in the morning.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Preoptopus posted:

02 sensors and fuel trims. Specifically what numbers (mv) to look for when doing a diag on convertors, emissions and 02 sensors?

That's a pretty generic question and different OEMs employ different methods, and the nitty gritty may be proprietary information that people can't divulge. (Obviously beyond what you can find through google.)

It would help if you had more specific questions.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Forgive me for posting another PDF, but this is quite good,

Motor Gas Technical Review:
http://www.chevron.com/documents/pdf/MotorGasTechReview.pdf

quote:

The development of the electric light and the astonishing popularity of the automobile in
the first decades of the 20th century turned the petroleum industrys focus from
kerosene to gasoline. In 1911, gasoline sales exceeded kerosene sales for the first time. The simple
engines in the first cars ran on almost any liquid that burned. As the demand for power
increased and engines became more sophisticated, gasoline was recognized as the right fuel
for the spark-ignition internal combustion engine.

Drivers can obtain the performance they expect only when the characteristics of the fuel they
use match the fuel requirements of the engines in their cars. As a result of this correlation,
the gasoline engine and its fuel matured as mutually dependent partners. An engine was not
designed without considering the gasolines available in the marketplace. In turn, gasoline
was not made without considering the requirements of the engines that would burn it. The
partnership became a triumvirate in the last decades of the 20th century as environmental
considerations began to change both engine design and gasoline characteristics.
This review collects information about all three members of the triumvirate in one place.
The major focus is gasoline its performance, characteristics, refining and testing, and
safe use. Significant space is also devoted to the operation of modern engines and to the
impact of environmental regulations on both engines and fuels. Numerous cross-references
emphasize how interconnected these topics are. We hope readers will find the review a
source of valuable information, whether they read it from cover to cover or focus on an
area of interest.

Preoptopus posted:

Try these:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/OBDII_ECU/
https://www.linnbenton.edu/auto/scope/o2.htm

The term you are looking for is oxygen sensor switching voltage, I think. That and closed loop fuel control.

From a PDF that I have that I can't find online anymore:

For everything except the newer wideband sensors, I think the switching across 0.45 volts thing is pretty much universal.

Edit:
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 31, 2015

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Party Alarm posted:

e: Found another way

Did you try printing this model yet?

I just picked up a 10" makerfarm kit and am looking for things to print, any chance you could upload the model file?

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

SFH1989 posted:

Is there a reasonably priced non :filez: way to get a solid modeling program? I haven't done any since I graduated and I need practice.

Inventor has a 3 year free trial student edition, all you need is a .edu email
http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/all

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Party Alarm posted:

e: Found another way

Party Alarm

Would you be willing to help me clean up a model for 3D printer? I lack the skills.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I'm a bit overwhelmed right now, I can possibly help if you can wait a few weeks

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Party Alarm posted:

I'm a bit overwhelmed right now, I can possibly help if you can wait a few weeks

Gladly, I doubt I'll perfect my AutoCAD skills within that timeframe

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Proud to say I am posting in this thread as a Mechanical Engineer now.

Paging CommieGIR - I should have time to help ya!

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Party Alarm posted:

Proud to say I am posting in this thread as a Mechanical Engineer now.

Congratulations and welcome to the party. We don't rally dance here though, we mostly just stand awkwardly around the edges of the room not sure what to do with our hands.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

torpedan posted:

Congratulations and welcome to the party. We don't rally dance here though, we mostly just stand awkwardly around the edges of the room not sure what to do with our hands.

You went to the party?

Party Alarm congratulations, welcome to the socially incompetent totally cool and awesome people club!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Congrats. Look forward to working with weirdos and thinking you're not one of them. (you are)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

torpedan posted:

Im actually p good at dancing.

SO SPEAK FOR YOURSELF

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I can make a car dance :smugbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Party Alarm posted:

Ack, cool! I have a couple .stl files I've been working over, sorry, been really busy doing phone system cutovers and listening to people bitch about how much they hate the new phone systek (Asterisk)

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Ack, cool! I have a couple .stl files I've been working over, sorry, been really busy doing phone system cutovers and listening to people bitch about how much they hate the new phone systek (Asterisk)

NOPE

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 3, 2015

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Witchcraft happens, and you go faster, and you really didn't want to: the 2005 Toyota Camry's electronic throttle had terrible software. http://www.safetyresearch.net/Library/BarrSlides_FINAL_SCRUBBED.pdf

quote:

Toyota failed to exercise a safe standard of care for software
 Relied too much on vendors
 Lacked internal expertise
 Inadequate supervision and training of software

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Witchcraft happens, and you go faster, and you really didn't want to: the 2005 Toyota Camry's electronic throttle had terrible software. http://www.safetyresearch.net/Library/BarrSlides_FINAL_SCRUBBED.pdf

Let's be honest here: whose safety critical embedded code doesn't have over 10,000 global variables and rely on uncontrolled, untested recursion to handle closed-loop DBW gas pedal operation?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
But Toyota's software haven't actually killed or injured anyone, have they? All the casualties reported were due to floormats?

Unlike the ignition switches of a certain other company?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The thing that really fucks me up about that is that none of these people who experienced unintended acceleration, whatever the cause may be, thought to take the gorram transmission out of gear.

Do people really know that little about their vehicles? Its important to know how to operate a thing that could kill you in many interesting ways correctly. Someone else here said that people use park, reverse, and drive and have no clue about the rest.

N is for Neutral, Fuckers! If it won't quit going smack the fucker out of gear and let the engine spin itself into shrapnel. Definitely preferable to hauling rear end into a wall.

It's not doing what you want then until it does! FFS!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Slam it into reverse to stop even faster
It always worked in GTA

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Vanagoon posted:

The thing that really fucks me up about that is that none of these people who experienced unintended acceleration, whatever the cause may be, thought to take the gorram transmission out of gear.

Do people really know that little about their vehicles? Its important to know how to operate a thing that could kill you in many interesting ways correctly. Someone else here said that people use park, reverse, and drive and have no clue about the rest.

N is for Neutral, Fuckers! If it won't quit going smack the fucker out of gear and let the engine spin itself into shrapnel. Definitely preferable to hauling rear end into a wall.

n is for that gear between back up and go that never seems to work

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

atomicthumbs posted:

n is for that gear between back up and go that never seems to work

Put it in H!

http://www.dula.tv/watch.php?file=homer-buys-car-from-crazy-vaclavs.flv

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Vanagoon posted:

That was the other dumb piece of software, the driver I read about was hitting the engine start/stop button over and over and over, but it was programmed to only stop the engine if you hold it down for 3 seconds. In a panic situation who has the patience to do ANYTHING for 3 seconds? But yeah, neutral.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

freelop posted:

Slam it into reverse to stop even faster
It always worked in GTA

As a piece of technical advice: if you slam your car into P from D at highway speed, you now have two settings for N.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has anyone ever tried to tune a gas motor like a turbo diesel ?

18:1 compression, 30lb boost, 3000rpm rev limit, valve timing to match...

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

jonathan posted:

Not with boost as you'd need an insane octane rating even with direct injection, but NASCAR engines among other have run diesel-like compression ratios in the 18:1 region.

Pre-ignition is the issue with the high compression ratio, regardless of boost/rev limit/etc.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah pro stock motors are up there in compression. So can gasolene just not be kept from preignition under those conditions ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jonathan posted:

They clearly aren't going quite that far, but isn't that the line of thought behind the Mazda Skyactiv engines - especially the high-octane-requiring versions they use outside the US?

• Locked thread