Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Definitely interested in reading about aluminum and cnc machining, I only know about the stuff from a QA perspective so knowing why something is hosed up would be pretty helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Would a 4 cylinder, v6, and v8 all have the same amount of power if the displacement was the same? Like what are the reasons for choosing one type over the others?

More cylinders = more combustion strokes to deliver your power which means a smoother running engine because the power strokes overlap each other. V configurations are beneficial for packaging reasons and because a shorter crankshaft means that there is less longitudinal force applied to the shaft, which means you can spin faster without the whole thing shaking itself apart. It's why you don't see inline 8 engines at all anymore, and most manufacturers have transitioned away from inline 6 engines as well.

This is really a high level explanation that barely scratches the surface of engine design, I'm sure someone like kastein can chime in with more details that I would probably get wrong

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you need anything cmm'd let me know, I have access to faro arms and I can output any build info to a dxf or w/e file format works

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
He's using a Kinect as an optical scanner and that result is similar looking to what some of the quick and dirty reverse engineering builds I've done with a portable cmm

• Locked thread