Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hey, do you guys remember when houses had landlines? you would call someone and be like "hi, can I speak with Becky" and it was her brother on the line and he would ask "who's this" and you would say "uh, it's James, from school", and then you'd hear him yell "Becky, it's your BOYFRIEND JAMES on the phone" and she'd yell back "he's NOT my BOYFRIEND, JERK, he's just some guy I have to do a project with", and then she'd pick it up and say "I got it, you can hang up now" and you'd hear a click but you weren't sure if really hung up or he was just faking it and also you were kind of hurt because it would be pretty cool if you were her boyfriend.

anyway, this thread is mostly about how those curly cords sometimes get that inverted curl in them. what is that thing? how do you get rid of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I have a landline and a corded phone because I live in sf and the cell service dies instantly in an earthquake

you get those curlies out by just wrapping them towards the nearest end but they never entirely go away

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i remember land lines, op

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

we were poor when I was a kid so we had a "party line" which meant we paid less and we shared the line with someone else so sometimes I'd pick up the phone and a lady would be talking on it and I'd say "oops sorry" and hang up and try later

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

I'm actually sad I never got to experience phone phreaking

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
why can't you just get them out by doing the opposite of how they got there in the first place? which I don't actually know how that happens

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

in the mid-90s my friend got TWO land lines and got bonded ISDN for something insane like 128kbps it was sick, the isa card was a foot long

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Management posted:

why can't you just get them out by doing the opposite of how they got there in the first place? which I don't actually know how that happens

I don't know but that doesn't work with babies either

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rotor posted:

in the mid-90s my friend got TWO land lines and got bonded ISDN for something insane like 128kbps it was sick, the isa card was a foot long

yeah, my buddy at UCSB had that, he taught me about IP masquerading on their dedicated Linux server. those guys were downloading Linux ISOs 24/7

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when i was a kid in the 80s you could dial phone numbers without ANY area codes, even local ones

my phone number was 7096. another girls was 8900

those were sufficient for dailing
if you wanted someone out of our suburb you added a area code. now those area codes are mandatory but you dont need national area codes unless dialing out the province or whatever

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

in the state I'm in you don't have to dial an area code and it throws me off when people give me their numbers

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

haha ok people don't give me their phone numbers I'm so lonely oh god

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

faxlore posted:

i managed to get a black box working in the UP of michigan on vacation around....'94? and i beiged all day erry day for half of my teen years. 500 foot roll of 26 gauge speaker wire with alligator clips on the end :whatup:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

we were poor when I was a kid so we had a "party line" which meant we paid less and we shared the line with someone else so sometimes I'd pick up the phone and a lady would be talking on it and I'd say "oops sorry" and hang up and try later

mlyp

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

when i was a kid in the 80s you could dial phone numbers without ANY area codes, even local ones

my phone number was 7096. another girls was 8900

those were sufficient for dailing
if you wanted someone out of our suburb you added a area code. now those area codes are mandatory but you dont need national area codes unless dialing out the province or whatever

same but 6 digits instead

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
owned

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

when i was in middle school i made a $20 phone call to a friend that was 10 miles away, while we were both trying to beat myst. in upper michigan, 10 miles away was a long distance call.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one day i was walking in the mall one day and i overheard some random kids saying "did you hear? new long distance code is 10-10-613" or something and sure enough it worked for like six months

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you dialled 137 it would ring you back after a minute,.

many pranks were had

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

one day i was walking in the mall one day and i overheard some random kids saying "did you hear? new long distance code is 10-10-613" or something and sure enough it worked for like six months

i found out a code but it was for a carwash

as a youth this meant "hey man, that grass is saying 'huss on me, huss on me'" (we said huss for burnout or whatever), and then go get free carwash. many times a night

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
wow phones sucked way back in the olden days huh?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Farecoal posted:

wow phones sucked way back in the olden days huh?

hell yeah they did. imagine having your only phone tethered to the wall in your living room. good luck having a private conversation when anyone is home. if you were lucky the cord was long enough to go into the kitchen.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

faxlore posted:

i bought a greeting card with a recordable message thing inside it and i ripped the guts out and recorded the quarter tone into it. heh, get wrecked bell atlantic, fuckin owned.

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

the old phone system kept phone conversations meaningful and you actually had to prepare and be eloquent and think before you spoke

now every tom dick and harry has a mobile phone that they can just put up to they ear and hear your verbal diarrhea at any time of the day in complete privacy

the modern mobile phone will be the downfall of man

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
lol ur old

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

The Management posted:

anyway, this thread is mostly about how those curly cords sometimes get that inverted curl in them. what is that thing? how do you get rid of it?

i think it happens when the cord spirals onto itself

this happens because most people are right handed, so they grab the phone with their right hand, then flip to left hand at some point, then hang it up, putting one complete turn of the handset in there

repeat that a bunch of times and you have a ruined cord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

rotor posted:

YOSPOS is my party line.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

YOSPOS is my party line.

call me at YP7-5309

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

once a week i unclip the curly cord from the handset and let it dangle to get rid of the overall loops
once a month i also untwist the small loops and horseshooes, same thing you unclick it from one end and work it out
the alternate to this is to get 2-5 pencils depending on lenth of curly cord and slide them into the cord like your sounding and then your phone cord is now a jointed stiff unusuable piece of crap

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

also lol if youre old enough to have letter+number calls or only needing less than 7 digits. did have a novelty kitchen wall phone with a straight up rotary dial until 99 i think? gently caress makin calls on it but it was right there ready to ring and intercept the school automated calling cuz i skipped class

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
her name was leslie but yeah i remember that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Management posted:

yeah, my buddy at UCSB had that, he taught me about IP masquerading on their dedicated Linux server. those guys were downloading Linux ISOs 24/7

we used it for quake

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Ruby got Railed posted:

straight up rotary dial

it's hilarious and kind of cool how backwards-compatible pots service is

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
when i was a kid, my friend had a touchtone phone except it was fake touchtone. you would press a button but there was no tone, you could hear the little clicks as if it were mimicking a rotary dial phone. after pressing a number, you had to wait a second for the clicks to finish before pressing the next number. hosed up but true.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

when i was a kid, my friend had a touchtone phone except it was fake touchtone. you would press a button but there was no tone, you could hear the little clicks as if it were mimicking a rotary dial phone. after pressing a number, you had to wait a second for the clicks to finish before pressing the next number. hosed up but true.

a lot of phones had a little switch to toggle between touch tone and rotary style, maybe that switch got flipped and no one changed it?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

also it's cool how you could "dial" a phone by hitting the on-hook button if you were fast

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

also it's cool how you could "dial" a phone by hitting the on-hook button if you were fast

or call waiting where you could tap the hook to switch calls

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
don't ever phone janitor a call center b/c it's a nonstop barrage of wanting the phones to do some kind of crazy bullshit to make up for management's total lack of any actual business plan

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can make the phones do a lot of crazy bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah. i remember one time i ginned up a fake hold time in Avaya to create the impression that a caller was actually in a queue before dumping them off to voicemail. of course, that little side business never went anywhere, which goes back to my remark about "total lack of business plan"

also, you will probably want to shoot yourself in the head if you ever have to deal with any "contact center" vendor. they all suck horribly and have the worst possible customer service and technical support. they can't even spin up their own poo poo correctly. this applies to both "on-premise" and :yayclod: ""solutions""

• Locked thread