Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cubey posted:

Whichever episode they killed Maude in was the end of the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu0bpgPA-eQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
The first episode that aired after Futurama debuted.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Cuntpunch posted:

The first episode that aired after Futurama debuted.
this probably most accurate

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpsons_Bible_Stories

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Pocket Billiards posted:

When they went to New York.

yes

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I stopped watching regularly around the time the went to Japan. Just a dumb episode that ended with an dumb anime seizure gag that was already very, very stale at the time.

ironic, as thats one of the best king of the hill episodes

almost like... koth... is way better than the simpsons...

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

the one where they went to ny or japan or brazil

the simpsons used to be about a middle-class average American family and here are the problems they face in their life

then it was all unrealistic wacky zany hijinks that didn't make any sense

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I'm not sure, but I hadn't watched the show in quite a while until a season premiere happened to be playing on tv and it was that tomacco one. poo poo was real bad. I haven't watched it since. That may have been a decade ago for all I know.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
after season 8, the drop off in quality is very evident

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Protip: The Simpson were never good.

The show was driven by hacks dishing out the same half-baked pop culture slathered lazy satire that infests every fetid inch of what is passed as comedy.

Instead of wasting time discussing a dead and worthless cartoon I would suggest acquiring some actual culture. Read a book.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Ramsus posted:

I'm not sure, but I hadn't watched the show in quite a while until a season premiere happened to be playing on tv and it was that tomacco one. poo poo was real bad. I haven't watched it since. That may have been a decade ago for all I know.

15 years ago

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Season 9 was the last good season.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Relin posted:

after season 8, the drop off in quality is very evident

season 9 was still pretty good, i think season 10 is when it started to become craptacular

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

lmao there is 15 more years even after that poo poo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Principal and the Pauper is the definitive end to the "Classic Era," even though as said it's not nearly as bad in and of itself as its reputation would suggest. There really aren't any true-blue classics afterwards, although the decline wasn't so consistent that there weren't a bunch of mediocre-to-pretty-good episodes for a few seasons (and they stood out next to the genuine turds).

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

Whichever episode they killed Maude in was the end of the show

yeah, this is when they started doing the ludicrous scenarios during the intro minutes that segue into an unrelated chain of events for the rest of the episode style of episode arrangement, instead of having coherent a and b storylines. it's almost depressing watching the earlier seasons that didn't need to jump through a dozen logic hoops to provide the setup for whatever bullshit idea the writers coked up this week. this may coincide with the time when episodes stopped taking 6 months to make and they could start making GBS threads them out with a lot less care.

the simpsums is a far more entertaining way to watch the recent seasons because it lays out just how badly assembled the most recent eps are.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

The Principal and the Pauper is the definitive end to the "Classic Era," even though as said it's not nearly as bad in and of itself as its reputation would suggest. There really aren't any true-blue classics afterwards, although the decline wasn't so consistent that there weren't a bunch of mediocre-to-pretty-good episodes for a few seasons (and they stood out next to the genuine turds).

the episode itself was good, martin sheen was great as the real skinner

when did they stop doing good celebrity guest spots, even the cameos were better in the earlier seasons. bette midler in the krusty comeback special was hilarious and that's just like 1 of many good cameos

TheIllestVillain fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 20, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheIllestVillain posted:

when did they stop doing good celebrity guest spots, even the cameos were better in the earlier seasons. bette midler in the krusty comeback special was hilarious

There were some dud guest voices too in the Golden Years. Homerpalooza's use of 90s bands and R. Lee Ermy wasted in Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming both spring to mind, although Ermy arguably gets a pass since this was well before people were hiring him to repeat his Full Metal Jacket schtick to everyone and aside from one "what's your major malfunction?" line they don't call attention to Ermy doing the voice. Doing a quick look at the list of Simpsons Guest Appearances they started to get lazy around Season 9 and 10 with Krusty talking to a bunch of stand-up comedians playing themselves, but it wasn't until Season 11 with the stupid Alligator episode that it really passed the point of no return.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

There were some dud guest voices too in the Golden Years. Homerpalooza's use of 90s bands and R. Lee Ermy wasted in Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming both spring to mind, although Ermy arguably gets a pass since this was well before people were hiring him to repeat his Full Metal Jacket schtick to everyone and aside from one "what's your major malfunction?" line they don't call attention to Ermy doing the voice. Doing a quick look at the list of Simpsons Guest Appearances they started to get lazy around Season 9 and 10 with Krusty talking to a bunch of stand-up comedians playing themselves, but it wasn't until Season 11 with the stupid Alligator episode that it really passed the point of no return.

yeah i guess but youre definitely wrong about the homerpalooza one, cypress hill and the smashing pumpkins were great in that episode.

the aligator episode was that horrible one with the charlie rose and kid rock cameo right?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

eh, by that criteria homer at the bat was pretty egregious too

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I respectfully disagree. Homer at the Bat gave everyone in the cast a plotline, however thin, and actual jokes to say. In Homerpalooza if you take out Homer's lines the celebrities are almost entirely just sounding board takes (it's especially noticeable when Homer first meets Billy Corgan). That's my criteria for a bad guest star-- they can play themselves but they have to have poo poo to do and aren't just reactive performers.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

"Ozzie Smith seems to have vanished off the face of the earth"

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

I think it just has to do with the power of the performances. the smashing pumpkins and sonic youth were poo poo in the booth, but imo frampton made up for it. I guess i figured you were just referring to the spectacle of "hey look who it is" which they've been doing forever

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah nah, if I was going to slam on the Simpsons for the "hey it's _________" factor we would lose quite a few classics. Even the one with Alec Baldwin, Kim Bassinger, and Ron Howard was pretty drat good for a show after the classic era.

Also I forgot about Frampton and the pig. That was legit.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

is it all just shoehorned cameos now? they had some pretty big celebrities play original characters in the earlier seasons, johnny cash as the space coyote is my all time favourite

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I can't speak to the quality of every cameo, and I know that even celebs that they get to play a character like John Oliver in a recent episode don't get to do much, and if you look at the wiki page you'll see as the seasons go by that the number of celebs playing "Him/Herself" goes up noticeably and drastically after Season 11 or so, but there are still celebs that play characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Simpsons_guest_stars

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
jesus christ there's loving 50 of them in season 24

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Episode 1, season 1.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol at Max von Sydow doing a season 25 simpsons voice.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Barn Door posted:

the one where lisa breaks in to the museum with homer.

that's the one. period.

Yup. As early as Season 7 you start to see the decline (Bart steals the video game) but after this one all was lost.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Armin Tamzarian how is this a question

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Look at how dynamic her hair is in the first shot by comparison.

gently caress but the new art is so overpolished and soulless.

And The Simpsons jumped the shark when Homer got raped by a panda.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

door Door door posted:

Armin Tamzarian how is this a question

because that episode was still kind of funny. personally i'd be ok with the show having gone completely off the rails like that if it could still do jokes that werent cheap and obvious.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Nerds just don't like it because it ruined the Simpsons Universe or something. It was alright.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The show might have been (read: was) going downhill before this episode, but it clicked with me when they did the missionary episode that ended with the PBS telethon. I hated pretty much every episode after that, though looking back it was actually still pretty good compared to what the show is now.

I think the soul of The Simpsons really died when "The Way We Was" could no longer possibly be considred canon by any stretch of the imagination.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
You think Simpsons are bad now, things are going to go really down hill when Maggie and Santa's Little Helper start speaking.

"Sanata's Little Helper is in the hooooooouuuse!" Except unironically, as they already did this ironically.

The Simpsons/Family guy cross over didn't make me laugh out loud at all. I was barely interested in finishing it.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when groening got involved, op

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Shnag posted:

The Simpsons/Family guy cross over didn't make me laugh out loud at all. I was barely interested in finishing it.

I laughed out loud at the part where Stewie asked Bart how long Nelson had been bullying him and Bart answered "26 years."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

remember the end of gump roast? we all thought they were joking....

• Locked thread