Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
When Lisa called people who eat meat, dairy or eggs fools was the first time I felt like a cartoon show was talking down to me. Looks like I was 8, so that must've been awfully ham-fisted. (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Das Boo posted:

When Lisa called people who eat meat, dairy or eggs fools was the first time I felt like a cartoon show was talking down to me. Looks like I was 8, so that must've been awfully ham-fisted. (lol)

The one where she went vegan was better than the modern ones because it's not played as her having the moral high ground. It's played as her being a an annoying as poo poo self important wet blanket. But yeah, that was one of the turning point episodes of making her into a liberal sound board.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
The screaming caterpillar episode was so, so, bad.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
When Homer got raped by a panda. How is there even an argument about this.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

273423-X posted:

When Homer got raped by a panda. How is there even an argument about this.

that was a family guy episode dude

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

The Monkey Man posted:

Also, both Matt Groening and Harry Shearer have gone on the record that they despise The Principal and the Pauper.

Groening also hates a star is burns so his likes/dislikes have hardly been a litmus test for quality

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Groening also hates a star is burns so his likes/dislikes have hardly been a litmus test for quality

But that is probably the best episode in that season.

"Listen, Spielbergo, Schindler and I are like peas in a pod: We're both factory owners, we both made shells for the Nazis, but mine worked, dammit! Now go out there and win me that festival!"

How could anyone hate it?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
The one where Smithers gives Mr. Burns a hand job and Mr. Burns tells him to stop and acts all confused but Smithers doesn't pull away. The close up on smither's face as the sweat drops onto the wrinkly thighs of Mr. Burns just never sat right with me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kung Food posted:

The one where Homer and friends join the navy. That's the first one I can remember watching and thinking, "That wasn't very good."

This is on right now. Its not very good.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Frostwerks posted:

agreed, curb was a good show

until they jumped the shark.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

FogHelmut posted:

This is on right now. Its not very good.

The Soviet stuff is another example of something I would've found hilarious in a THOH episode that just made me go WTF in a normal episode.

Carl The Shivan
Mar 23, 2009

programmed with a
variety of trusting
emotions

:h: :roboluv: :h:
It seems that the consensus ITT is that it didn't really have a definite single moment where it jumped the shark, but that it was a slow decline. So why don't we discuss what the worst thing is about the newer episodes? "Mapple" comes to mind.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I hated nearly every single thing about the YVAN episode, but I do have to at least give it credit for a single brief moment - the (probably Schzardwelder-written) dramatic reveal of the name plate changing from LT SMASH to LT. SMASH

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

it was kind of funny that smithers was in love with mr. burns but now there are 3 characters where their singular characteristic is 'im gay'.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
"Itchy struck the same vertebrae two consecutive times creating two clearly distinct sounds. What is this, a (heh...heh..)'magic xylophone'?"

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
When Swartzelder and Bill Oakley/Josh Weinstein stopped doing episodes. That's the real answer.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
The Simpsons was my favorite TV show when I was a kid up through middle school, but pretty much every show that came after it (South Park, Family Guy, Futurama, American Dad) did the formula better. The first two seasons of the Simpsons are unwatchable, and even the golden age isn't as funny as, say, the first three seasons of Family Guy (which the later seasons of Simpsons started aping heavily.) I will say that the Simpsons movie was watchable, but in my opinion, the Simpsons stopped being funny in 1997, and it's 2014 now. What the gently caress.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

nomadologique posted:

that was a family guy episode dude

no it wasn't

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the newer episodes suck because a) they try to be topical all the time and b) nothing that happens or that any of the characters do follows any form of logic. also the jokes are bad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Augmented Dickey posted:

But...that's the entire point of his character. It's sort of implied that he's constantly switching careers because he's too sleazy and inept to stick with anything permanently.

Not even remotely. He was often shown into side business stuff like "babysitting" and trying to resell Orange Julius, but his prominence as a lawyer was always his grounding trait. It was really weird to see him as a realtor in one episode. Not, like horrific or anything, just a troubling sign of things to come (along with poo poo characters like Cookie Kwan and Gil).

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

even the golden age isn't as funny as, say, the first three seasons of Family Guy

This is so wrong. The golden age stands up remarkably well compared to classic Family Guy (and I have watched both within the last six months, this isn't nostalgia talking). Classic Family Guy used to seem transgressive but after it came back from cancellation it kept pushing the formula that the classic episodes now just seem like a transition from its Simpsons (and especially The Critic) roots to what Family Guy eventually became. Meanwhile Classic Simpsons, even the "hey it's pop culture thing" jokes, tend to hold up because they're rooted in things like strong timing and aside from The Critic and very arguably Duckman (which wasn't bad, just a different beast) there wasn't anything remotely as on-point as The Simpsons was in the early to mid-90s so they function as an excellent time capsule the same way you can point to say, Cheers or The Cosby Show or Three's Company or All in the Family.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 21, 2014

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

HugoDigletts posted:

How could anyone hate it?

Because it showed the world that other animated sitcoms exist that aren't the simpsons

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the first few seasons of family guy are okay and all, as are the first few of south park, but taken as an overall thing the simpsons is still a superior show even with like ten years of crap weighing it down. south park is smug and family guy died for me with the first five minute chicken fight

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

nah i dunno, south park is by far the most consistently funny, despite stone and parker's smug obnoxiousness. dudes are just good at comedy, and i'd rather cringe at their lovely opinions than at the simpsons bad jokes.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Jumped the shark with the Hank Scorpio episode IMO

Great episode but it was a harbinger of how bad the show would become & exhibited all the worst excesses of later Simpsons

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The Simpsons/Critic episode is the only good crossover I have ever seen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Maud's death.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

Pocket Billiards posted:

When they went to New York.

This is definitely it for me.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
my personal fuckthisshitforever moment:

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Tik_Tok

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I thought it was one year after the New York episode, when Homer becomes an inventor, and invents a sort whore-gun for applying make up with a shotgun blast.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rambling Robot posted:

my personal fuckthisshitforever moment:

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Tik_Tok

Yeah, that was when I realized we were through the looking glass. Like yeah the early 90s had poo poo like "Do the Bartman" and "Deep Trouble" but at least those were original tunes composed by Michael Jackson.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Phyzzle posted:

I thought it was one year after the New York episode, when Homer becomes an inventor, and invents a sort whore-gun for applying make up with a shotgun blast.

I thought that was kinda funny actually.

I downloaded seasons 1-15 about 10 years ago and I've never seen anything outside of that. Even from S12 onwards it was like a chore watching them. I'd prefer not to tarnish the memories of the first 10 seasons then look for a diamond in the rough past s15.

nonazis
Oct 13, 2014

The ants. They're everywhere, man. Big fuckers.

Berk Berkly posted:

Protip: The Simpson were never good.

The show was driven by hacks dishing out the same half-baked pop culture slathered lazy satire that infests every fetid inch of what is passed as comedy.

Instead of wasting time discussing a dead and worthless cartoon I would suggest acquiring some actual culture. Read a book.

Yeah guys, just go read those Simpsons comic books.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So why's book guy reading an internet forum about a cartoon show he hates instead of a book?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Because GBS is wacky and ironically detached and makes fun of everything (there are no sacred cows in GBS you know) especially stuff people like because angry nerds say funny things in response

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
Spiderpig is the last universally recognizable Simpson's reference. Spiderpig is also not funny.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
that one where skinner turns out to be fake must be it. i distinctly remember that episode and remember hating it. i watched the simpsons regularly for the first batch of seasons but stopped at some point. looking over the episode guide now i don't remember anything but a few episodes here and there after that one.

that's exactly the same time futurama came out so not really a surprise. futurama only had 4 good seasons or so itself.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i've seen a couple of new futurama episodes and they're kind of flat and lifeless, i don't know why. can someone do an effort post on why new futurama is also garbage

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ThePutty posted:

i've seen a couple of new futurama episodes and they're kind of flat and lifeless, i don't know why. can someone do an effort post on why new futurama is also garbage

The short of it that I've heard and been able to infer is that the writer's room got shrunk drastically after the show came back, and on top of that most nerds lose their edge as they get older, especially when they know they've got a "cult favorite" show that the internet loves almost unconditionally so they can start phoning it in.

naem
May 29, 2011

este posted:

it was that one episode that starts out about horse racing and then turns into some poo poo about elves

Comic book guy called it the "worst episode ever" right in the episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
every good show cancelled at 3 seasons should thank their lucky stars and just stay loving cancelled

ahem ahem futurama and arrested development ahem

• Locked thread