Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Are you a moral relativist? Do you believe in moral relativism? I personally am not. I believe that there are universal moral values. I believe we can discover the best moral values through reason. I also believe, personally, in religion. I do not believe in any particular religion, but I just believe it's all real. I believe moral relativism is extremely bad and that people shouldn't just be able to do whatever they want with no consequences. But I open this up to you. What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
That's just your opinion

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I believe that morality is a feeble human notion and the universe doesn't care about what's good.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Are you a moral relativist? Do you believe in moral relativism? I personally am not. I believe that there are universal moral values. I believe we can discover the best moral values through reason. I also believe, personally, in religion. I do not believe in any particular religion, but I just believe it's all real. I believe moral relativism is extremely bad and that people shouldn't just be able to do whatever they want with no consequences. But I open this up to you. What do you think?

same

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

I believe that morality is a feeble human notion and the universe doesn't care about what's good.
I believe that normal human beings believe in goodness, and that if the universe is indifferent to justice then it is the duty of human beings to make sure goodness is spread and that justice is served. In this way, we can improve upon the universe and make it good. I think people who don't believe this need to be thrown in jail, but we need to make the jails safe.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I believe that normal human beings believe in goodness, and that if the universe is indifferent to justice then it is the duty of human beings to make sure goodness is spread and that justice is served. In this way, we can improve upon the universe and make it good. I think people who don't believe this need to be thrown in jail, but we need to make the jails safe.

Well sure, but then justice is whatever we define it to be, and not a universal notion.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

what value is there for humanity in having safe jails instead of, say, a death camp

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Well sure, but then justice is whatever we define it to be, and not a universal notion.
I believe that even if we can't all agree on the definition of justice that while we're arguing justice isn't being served and we need to come up with a serviceable definition in order to carry out an approximation of justice rather than let chaos reign. I believe that even if our definition of justice is imperfect that the people who do believe in that definition should go to war with the people who don't. Whoever wins won't be right, but they'll be able to make the world in their image, a little better.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Kyrie eleison posted:

what value is there for humanity in having safe jails instead of, say, a death camp
I personally believe that people who are in jail should be comfortable. We just need them out of the way. I don't think we should torture them. I think maybe there should be an option to die if you go to jail and don't want to be there.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

I personally believe that people who are in jail should be comfortable. We just need them out of the way. I don't think we should torture them. I think maybe there should be an option to die if you go to jail and don't want to be there.

i think we should keep them in some sort of ideological prison in which they feel totally content and even happy and fulfilled about their lives but ultimately labor and live in service to us

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I personally believe that history is predetermined by an invisible power and that wars are caused by resistance to the wave of history. I don't think the wave of history is always morally in the right; it just is what it is. I think we're heading into a highly, highly religious age as a reaction against the spiritual emptiness of the twentieth century.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Well according to wikipedia, I'm a moral reletivist..

"Goodness" is subjective. What I considered to be "good" could be different than what you believe it to be.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

I personally believe that history is predetermined by an invisible power and that wars are caused by resistance to the wave of history. I don't think the wave of history is always morally in the right; it just is what it is. I think we're heading into a highly, highly religious age as a reaction against the spiritual emptiness of the twentieth century.

actually i think if you look closer you will find that every war in history has been lost by the righteous party

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Kyrie eleison posted:

actually i think if you look closer you will find that every war in history has been lost by the righteous party
I don't think the wave of history is necessarily on the side of the righteous.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Archer666 posted:

Well according to wikipedia, I'm a moral reletivist..

"Goodness" is subjective. What I considered to be "good" could be different than what you believe it to be.
I believe that there are granular differences in morality between people but larger, more important similarities. I don't think goodness is subjective. I think we're all people and we're all pretty similar to each other and see things pretty much the same way. I think the differences come when we disagree on the means to arriving at the same end.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

I believe that there are granular differences in morality between people but larger, more important similarities. I don't think goodness is subjective. I think we're all people and we're all pretty similar to each other and see things pretty much the same way. I think the differences come when we disagree on the means to arriving at the same end.

you are wrong on this. everybody sees the world completely differently and in a totally unique way. our common humanity is the only thing that keeps us together, and it is fragile, which is why we have wars and violence.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

what's the word for when someone realizes that it would be very unpleasant for a given fact about the universe to be true, and then decides on that basis alone that it isn't true

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of breakfast cereals are full of goodness

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Kyrie eleison posted:

you are wrong on this. everybody sees the world completely differently and in a totally unique way. our common humanity is the only thing that keeps us together, and it is fragile, which is why we have wars and violence.
I disagree. I believe everyone sees the world in a completely different way but that they're all trying to accomplish the same things, essentially.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Torka posted:

what's the word for when someone realizes that it would be very unpleasant for a given fact about the universe to be true, and then decides on that basis alone that it isn't true

reason

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Torka posted:

A fatalist.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

I disagree. I believe everyone sees the world in a completely different way but that they're all trying to accomplish the same things, essentially.

no, one man waits with knife in hand to stab his brother. one sees green where you see red. but both see the color of blood.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Torka posted:

Denial?

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

that works in a general sense but I feel like we should have a more specific technical term for this since it's one of the most common things that humans do

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Kyrie eleison posted:

no, one man waits with knife in hand to stab his brother. one sees green where you see red. but both see the color of blood.
I believe the man and his brother are not separate people but the same. I believe individuality is an illusion and that we're all like petals on one flower, different but emerging from an essential oneness. I also believe that some people lose touch with this essential oneness and when this happens it's called ideology, which is brain-worship, trying to use your brain to solve problems that have already been solved for you. Ideology is like when you think too hard about walking and you fall.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Torka posted:

that works in a general sense but I feel like we should have a more specific technical term for this since it's one of the most common things that humans do

Seems more or less like cognitive dissonance to me.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

I believe the man and his brother are not separate people but the same. I believe individuality is an illusion and that we're all like petals on one flower, different but emerging from an essential oneness. I also believe that some people lose touch with this essential oneness and when this happens it's called ideology, which is brain-worship, trying to use your brain to solve problems that have already been solved for you. Ideology is like when you think too hard about walking and you fall.

ideology is a defense of eternal truths against the power of lies.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm relatively moral

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

it's not even maladaptive, in fact bald-faced denial of unpalatable facts seems to be a requirement for mental health

the people I know who are incapable of doing it are broken and nonfunctional and the ones who are the most resilient and productive are the ones it comes most easily to

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Torka posted:

it's not even maladaptive, in fact bald-faced denial of unpalatable facts seems to be a requirement for mental health

the people I know who are incapable of doing it are broken and nonfunctional and the ones who are the most resilient and productive are the ones it comes most easily to

you don't deny the truth, you accept the truth. you are looking at it backwards.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Kyrie eleison posted:

ideology is a defense of eternal truths against the power of lies.
No, everyone knows the truth intuitively. Ideology is artificial truth that appeals to the brain. Today we live in a world of brain-worship, in which we verify truth via reason. But our brains did not help us survive by discovering truths; our brain helped us survive by being able to outsmart enemies and delude ourselves. Our brain is just a clever animal brain. What it verifies as true isn't real truth. If something "makes sense" to the brain it just means the peculiar apparatus of the human brain accepts it. There could be other kinds of brains whose way of verifying things is different from what we call "logic" (which is just human-specific logic, but it's the only kind we know).

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

No, everyone knows the truth intuitively. Ideology is artificial truth that appeals to the brain. Today we live in a world of brain-worship, in which we verify truth via reason. But our brains did not help us survive by discovering truths; our brain helped us survive by being able to outsmart enemies and delude ourselves. Our brain is just a clever animal brain. What it verifies as true isn't real truth. If something "makes sense" to the brain it just means the peculiar apparatus of the human brain accepts it. There could be other kinds of brains whose way of verifying things is different from what we call "logic" (which is just human-specific logic, but it's the only kind we know).

we know the important aspect of the truth intuitively, that we are children of God, but 99.9999% of it eludes us. this is by design.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

God is the million-brained entity who can see things through all points of view. How do I "know" this? I don't. I don't "know" anything.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I have stupid hair. Just a thought.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

God is the million-brained entity who can see things through all points of view. How do I "know" this? I don't. I don't "know" anything.

because God by definition is capable of experiencing all lives and points of view, in fullness, all throughout history, and he is the final judge of us all. he is looking through your eyes right now.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im god and im so high right now

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Zzulu posted:

im god and im so high right now
Greetings.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

First part hurts my stupid head but same to the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I think it is okay for me to kill OP but not okay for him to complain about it

• Locked thread