Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010
Moral noncognitivist over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

monkey posted:

no thats ethics

interchangable depending on the society you are in.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
it's really quite simple, all morality is emergent from the balance of order and chaos

chaos is at present abundant in the universe, hence systems which create more ordered patterns are good, and those that scatter or disrupt ordered patterns are bad

the key is that the patterns enabled by order should strive to be ever more complex, order itself can be subverted into repetitive and boring viral systems which are themselves just chaotic agents and must be guarded against

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
moral relativism is an extremely dangerous position op and allows evil and suffering to prosper unchecked. Cultural relativism is the first step towards the slippery slope of moral relativism and its the disease of postmodern capitalist society and needs to be destroyed. burn all anthropologists and sociologists who abide by it imo

loving lmao if you genuinely believe that there are no universal goods and evils

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Athropos posted:

moral relativism is an extremely dangerous position op and allows evil and suffering to prosper unchecked. Cultural relativism is the first step towards the slippery slope of moral relativism and its the disease of postmodern capitalist society and needs to be destroyed. burn all anthropologists and sociologists who abide by it imo

loving lmao if you genuinely believe that there are no universal goods and evils

they are based on the personal opinions of humans which we know to be flawed, so hard to say there can be absolutes.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

TOILETLORD posted:

they are based on the personal opinions of humans which we know to be flawed, so hard to say there can be absolutes.

i think suffering is an absolute evil, every living being tries to avoid it as best it can

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Athropos posted:

i think suffering is an absolute evil, every living being tries to avoid it as best it can

i think suffering is a tool by which we come to understand the world better

that people have used it as a tool only deepens our understanding

they're not gonna let us out until we can play nice, thats the point of all this

Athropos
May 4, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

i think suffering is a tool by which we come to understand the world better

that people have used it as a tool only deepens our understanding

they're not gonna let us out until we can play nice, thats the point of all this

suffering has a function I guess

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

literally evolutionarily yes

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've only ever met two people who identified as moral relativists

One was a neo-Nazi
The other was anti-immigration and blindingly pro-Israel

makes u think

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Torka posted:

what's the word for when someone realizes that it would be very unpleasant for a given fact about the universe to be true, and then decides on that basis alone that it isn't true

religion :colbert:

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Athropos posted:

If your post didn't already make perfect sense, your avatar would make me want to believe it. It's a picture of a dog in a suit, and the combination is very appealing: dogs are maximally good-natured, but they're known to be dull-minded and lazy, and while you might want a dog around to play with you, you wouldn't want it to weigh in on a high-stakes intellectual debate such as the one going on here. The suit, however, cancels out those attributes that would prevent the dog from being welcome in this conversation and replaces them with attributes we value in a conversation like this. The suit conveys that the dog is not only smart but sober and judicious. He offers an opinion hard-won through academic rigor. To sum up, he's wearing a suit, so I respect his acumen, but he's also a dog, so I find him instantly congenial and unpretentious. In other words, a good dog. The best dog.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Sir John Feelgood posted:

If your post didn't already make perfect sense, your avatar would make me want to believe it. It's a picture of a dog in a suit, and the combination is very appealing: dogs are maximally good-natured, but they're known to be dull-minded and lazy, and while you might want a dog around to play with you, you wouldn't want it to weigh in on a high-stakes intellectual debate such as the one going on here. The suit, however, cancels out those attributes that would prevent the dog from being welcome in this conversation and replaces them with attributes we value in a conversation like this. The suit conveys that the dog is not only smart but sober and judicious. He offers an opinion hard-won through academic rigor. To sum up, he's wearing a suit, so I respect his acumen, but he's also a dog, so I find him instantly congenial and unpretentious. In other words, a good dog. The best dog.

op, the dog was put into a suit to take a funny pic of. it's just a goof. seems likely the av was captioned with academic sounding titles as part of the joke; notice how they are dog puns

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

I believe that morality is a feeble human notion and the universe doesn't care about what's good.

We are the universe. The universe created us. As a species we were born of the universe. It is a fallacy that we are separate. So our morality is the universe`s morality. Like Sagan said, we are a way the universe can know itself.

Dengue_Fever fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 22, 2014

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Ghaz posted:

op, the dog was put into a suit to take a funny pic of. it's just a goof. seems likely the av was captioned with academic sounding titles as part of the joke; notice how they are dog puns
No.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

op, i have a dog avatar i kno wwhat im talking about. it's just for laught,s its just a goof

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Sir John Feelgood posted:

this post, its beautiful and makes me believe that there ARE some objectively good things left on this gay earth, namely that dogs are good and cool and I hope humans of all culture can get behind this idea

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE
I have literally taught moral relativism at a major university.

In my expert opinion, pretty much everything said in this thread is retarded.

Including the contents of this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

morality is relative to whatever i believe is universally moral

• Locked thread