Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

oh god, what have I wrought!?

Yeah, now I have to explain to her how my poor life choices led to me looking less like post-Doctor Matt Smith and more like post-Doctor Colin Baker!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Who's raggedy now, Pond???

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CobiWann posted:

My stepdaughter just saw the Matt Smith picture.

First, she now wants to see the new Terminator movie and I have to figure out if I can show her the first two.

Second, she's wondering why DDPYoga isn't making me look like that. :shrug:

Double Dick Penetration Yoga? Sounds . . . complicated.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Argue posted:

Who's raggedy now, Pond???

I always thought Matt had a pretty good shot at a post Who career, but I never thought it should be in action movies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

My stepdaughter just saw the Matt Smith picture.

First, she now wants to see the new Terminator movie and I have to figure out if I can show her the first two.

Come along, Connor.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

PriorMarcus posted:

I always thought Matt had a pretty good shot at a post Who career, but I never thought it should be in action movies.

I'm just kind of glad he's getting away from Doctor-like roles, even if the roles are in poo poo movies. Let him show his real range and then we'll see how far his career gets. Hopefully pretty far.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Terminator 2's the second movie I remember seeing with my dad after Spaceballs. I was all of four, I think. It's actually surprisingly kid-friendly aside from that scene but that scene's going to be pretty rough

Terminator 1's probably a straight don't go there, honestly

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 8, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Eh, I'll just show her Escape from New York and The Claws of Axos.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Giant twist is going to be that the full title is Genisys of the Terminators and it's the long awaited big budget Doctor Who feature film.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Senor Tron posted:

Giant twist is going to be that the full title is Genisys of the Terminators and it's the long awaited big budget Doctor Who feature film.

No no no no no no no no no I don't want James Cameron's DNA anywhere near Doctor Who.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mo0 posted:

No no no no no no no no no I don't want James Cameron's DNA anywhere near Doctor Who.

Too late, Aliens exists, and we all know that the Xenomorphs are just the Wirrin but not made out of bubble-wrap.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
La la la la this conversation never happened la la la

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

Too late, Aliens exists, and we all know that the Xenomorphs are just the Wirrin but not made out of bubble-wrap.

The Wirrn will always be the nightmare-inducing, terrifying monsters I imagined when I was read their entry in a Doctor Who encyclopedia we had as a kid.

My introduction to Doctor Who was weird.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

After The War posted:

The Wirrn will always be the nightmare-inducing, terrifying monsters I imagined when I was read their entry in a Doctor Who encyclopedia we had as a kid.

My introduction to Doctor Who was weird.

The Wirrn are STILL nightmare-inducing to me, because I listened to Wirrn Isle.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

PriorMarcus posted:

Especially portraying little-known Marvel hero The Chinverine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oi, you have email. Are you allergic to nuts?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, Year of the Pig certainly is... something so far. The inspector, the titular pig and Colin all have similar voices, so it's a bit strange to parse at times. I guess I'm still early enough in the story that it's difficult to say. It's pretty bizarre to hear a First Doctor companion actor (Maureen O'Brien, who played Vicki) come back as the absolutely bonkers character, Miss Bultitude.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Apparently this is a thing that's happening?

quote:

Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart In New Adventures

Available from People’s Book Prize winning publisher, Candy Jar Books, Lethbridge-Stewart is a new series of novels revealing the untold story of Colonel Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart set shortly after the 1968 serial, The Web of Fear.

The first series consists of The Forgotten Son by Andy Frankham-Allen, Horror of Det-Sen by Lance Parkin, The Schizoid Earth by David A McIntee and Mutually Assured Domination by Nick Walters.

I thought this was going to be a Cyberbrig spin-off series at first and then I found out Lance Parkin is writing one of them, so reading this news article has been just a rollercoaster of emotions.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Well, Year of the Pig certainly is... something so far. The inspector, the titular pig and Colin all have similar voices, so it's a bit strange to parse at times. I guess I'm still early enough in the story that it's difficult to say. It's pretty bizarre to hear a First Doctor companion actor (Maureen O'Brien, who played Vicki) come back as the absolutely bonkers character, Miss Bultitude.

Year of the Pig is the only Big Finish that's made me physically nauseous before. It's not especially bad or anything (although i didn't actually like it much), they just spend an agonizing amount of time talking about one character eating and it just got to me eventually

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Oi, you have email. Are you allergic to nuts?

...no?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Forktoss posted:

Apparently this is a thing that's happening?

I thought this was going to be a Cyberbrig spin-off series at first and then I found out Lance Parkin is writing one of them, so reading this news article has been just a rollercoaster of emotions.

McIntee is another great Who writer. I love how the cover looks like it's some book from 1972 that you've found in a secondhand shop. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman posted:

McIntee is another great Who writer. I love how the cover looks like it's some book from 1972 that you've found in a secondhand shop. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Into the Dalek is an interesting if not altogether successful episode that seeks to further nail down the season-long theme of the Doctor's moral character and how that relates to an idealized "human" moral compass of what is right and wrong. It also makes traditional use of the Daleks to remind the viewer that this new actor IS the Doctor, though in a neat twist this consistency is realized through the Daleks still not knowing who he is, the opposite to Power of the Daleks where the Doctor was instantly recognized despite having undergone his first regeneration. It's also got some parallels with season one's Dalek, though again the intent of these parallels seems to be to give an opposite reading to those of Eccelston's Doctor. Clara's love interest - Danny Pink - is introduced in this episode, and we even get a more palatable explanation for that Path Web bollocks in Asylum of the Daleks - in short, this regular length episode is absolutely packed to the brim with stuff, and it's remarkable that it holds together as well as it does without bursting.

A spaceship is pursued by a Dalek saucer through an asteroid field, the co-pilot dead and the surviving human screaming for help through her radio. It's too late for her though, and her ship is destroyed... only for her to discover herself onboard the Doctor's TARDIS. There is an immediately obvious parallel here and one that isn't quite so plain to see. Journey is effectively in the same position as Cass was in Night of the Doctor, but here the perhaps overly pragmatic Doctor cuts out any chance of her rejecting his rescue by taking the choice out of her hands. The 8th Doctor died when he saw a human react to himself and especially his TARDIS in terror and disgust, and couldn't bring himself to take himself away to safety, holding on to hope till the bitter end that he could convince her to let him save her. The 12th Doctor.... nah, he's not having any of that, if he decides to save you then he is saving you and that is that, he'll save you first and not apologize for it. Less immediately obvious is how closely the Doctor saving Journey compares to Gretchen finding herself in "heaven" with Missy later in the episode. Consider the Doctor's explanation for what he did and the eventual reveal of the technology Missy was using, and Missy's own identity.

Journey is a soldier, and she immediately attempts to cast a military eye over her unexpected situation as she pulls her gun and tries to order the Doctor about. He reacts with amused disdain and, like a schoolteacher with a rowdy child, quietly forces her to shamefacedly put down the gun and ask him nicely before he will do anything. Capaldi's Doctor is still developing as a character but we already know he is less tolerant than his predecessors, unwilling to go along for the ride or let others dictate terms to him. Throughout the season we'll see his disdain for soldiers play out again and again, often to mixed effect both in-narrative and for the viewer. Here though, the scene is already being set for the Doctor seeing potential in Journey but not being able to look past the fact she is a soldier, that her first thought was to go for a gun, to bark orders.

Taking her to her base - a former medical ship hidden behind a giant asteroid - he finds the shoe on the other foot as Journey's superior officer (and Uncle) immediately orders he be shot and thrown out an airlock due to being an unknown factor, the Daleks use "duplicates" (robotized humans) and this could all be a trap. He changes his mind when Journey tells him the Doctor is a doctor, and the Doctor seems quite chuffed as he discovers their moleculon nanoscaler (and makes a bad proctologist joke), enjoying the notion of being injected into the body of a patient... until he discovers the patient is a Dalek.

Back on earth, Clara meets Danny Pink for the first time. A ex-soldier turned math teacher, Danny's first scenes are pretty dire as we're hit with sledgehammer subtlety that he has trauma over his actions as a soldier in Afghanistan. But everything improves when he meets Clara, and we get a rather sitcom-y but still hilarious sequence where he chastises himself alone in his classroom after bumbling his way OUT of a date with her, only to discover she has been standing in the doorway watching him. He's left happily dazed after this somehow ends up getting him the date anyway, while a happy Clara heads back into her class and finds herself face to face with the Doctor, who has brought her the coffee she sent him to fetch.... three weeks ago. In Glasgow.

A lot has already been packed into the episode's opening few minutes - we've established the Daleks are a formidable enough force/have taken enough territory at some point in the future that there is an allied human resistance as opposed to a human government/colony at war with them. We've seen the Doctor's distaste for soldiers, introduced Danny Pink and his own military background, touched on his war trauma, had some comedy establishing the seed of a relationship between him and Clara and then revealed that after their awkward hug at the end of the previous episode, the Doctor kind of just wandered off and Clara was left to make her own way back to London (she never finished Christmas lunch with her family!). Like the episode itself, it's a rather impressive packing of information into a small space, but it has the effect of never really letting anything breathe. While I don't think this needed to be a 2-parter or anything like that, the compression of so much data into one story requires a deft hand by writer, director and editor to make it work, and this episode - while competently handled - doesn't quite have that deft touch.

We get another glimpse into the new Doctor's personality as he quickly (and successfully) dismisses Clara's objections and gets her onboard the TARDIS, into the future and onto the medical ship. To call him self-centered would be inaccurate, but this Doctor is less concerned with social niceties, and far more interested in what is going on in his own head than what most other people have to say. There is ALMOST an air of arrogance about him (and you can see why Danny would instantly clash with him), but it comes across more like he's distracted by his own thoughts, easily bored by the concerns of others because they seem so trivial compared to the bigger picture he can see. It doesn't make him particularly likeable to people he doesn't know, in fact even Clara finds it bothersome, though she has the advantage of being able to call him out on it and having him pay attention because he knows she knows him well. Various lines speak to this characterization and his relationship with Clara as well - he introduces her to "Uncle" then admits he may have just made up the relationship with Journey because he was bored and wasn't listening to what the man was saying. Clara jokes that she is the Doctor's carer and he agrees, saying that she cares so he doesn't have to (itself an interesting read on the Doctor/Companion dynamic). But amidst all this fast-pacing walking and talking and quips and the Doctor's dismissive attitude is this lovely quiet scene where he sits down with Clara and asks her to honestly answer him the question that the audience (and Clara herself) will be asking throughout most of the rest of the season - is he a good man?

That's the question at the heart of this episode, and nearly everything that takes place in it is related to that question. The Doctor is seeking for truth, he wants to know if there are absolutes - is there such a thing as true evil or true good? The Daleks are the closest thing to an absolute evil there can be, but do they have to be that way? Is it possible for there to be a good Dalek? The question interests him because he's also questioning his own status - he's always wanted to be a good man but he has done terrible things (even if killing all the Time Lords turned out not to be one) and allowed others to do terrible things for him, so does that make him bad? The Half-Face Man was pushed to his death either physically or psychologically, and the Doctor was responsible for that. If there is such a thing as true evil, then there must be true good too, and if the Doctor has done these morally questionable things then does that mean he is not a good person? So when Uncle showed him the Dalek and it started ranting that it must destroy the Daleks he was intrigued - could it be that a Dalek can change? Does that mean there is hope for that race after all? Does that mean there is hope for him?

Throughout the episode, the soldiers traveling with the Doctor, the Doctor himself, and the audience are left to question the same thing as the Doctor continually comes across as cold or unfeeling. His pragmatic approach to Ross' doom, or the offhand way he jokes about his remains, his insistence that the "good" in the Dalek was simply a malfunction etc. In fact the only person who refuses to accept this is Clara, who at first provides increasingly weaker justifications for the Doctor's actions and words to the angry Journey and Gretchen. That feels lame, but naturally so, like she is still trying to see the Doctor as his former incarnation. The moment she steps up as a character is when they "repair" the Dalek and it immediately reverts to type, because the Doctor's fatalism finally pushes her too far and she snaps him out of it in the best, most direct way possible.

The best companions ground the Doctor, but they also remind him of his aspirational potential. What finally drives her over the edge isn't his cold pragmatism but the fact he claims that making a Dalek good is "impossible". It's that word that infuriates her, because if there is anything she has learned during her time with the Doctor it is that NOTHING is impossible, and that he of all people should know that. She goes right into schoolteacher mode, effectively doing to the Doctor what he did to Journey earlier, as she imposes her will on him to make him see things her way. He says it is impossible to make a Dalek good? Right then, well then it is time to think about how to make a Dalek good! As the now "fixed" Dalek (Rusty) storms around the ship killing soldier after soldier and summons reinforcements, inside of it the Doctor splits up his forces and sends Clara to restore Rusty's memories while he makes a direct appeal to the Kaled mutant itself. This also finally provides a somewhat more palatable explanation for that path-web bullshit in Asylum of the Daleks - the Daleks do NOT have a hive-mind and never did, but what they do have is a secondary "brain", a computerized memory bank that acts as a "purity" filter. Daleks are designed to consider themselves the superior form of life in the universe, but the universe is a big loving place full of experiences that expand your horizons/make you realize how small you are/leave you in wonder or horror at the immensity of it all. How do the Daleks combat being "corrupted" by having their horizons expanded? By actively suppressing every memory that makes them question or otherwise deviate from what being a Dalek is supposed to be. That's what Oswin did in Asylum, she forced the "path-web" to delete all data on the Doctor AND suppress all the Daleks' personal memories. That aspect of Asylum was still terribly handled, but at least this (unspoken) explanation makes a lot more sense, at least to me.

While Clara reactivates suppressed memories, the Doctor comes face to face with "Rusty" and appeals to it to remember the things it saw that expanded its horizons in the first place. "Life prevails, life returns" is what I guess you could call Dalek-nihilism, the sense that extermination and genocide is pointless because life will always return eventually anyway. It was this that piqued the Doctor's interest in the first place, and his despair when his repair work caused the Dalek to revert to type was palpable. Now he is full of hope, as he presses two wires together (a nod to Genesis of the Daleks) and links his mind to Rusty's and attempts to show him hope, love, friendship, life - to expand his horizons and prove that Daleks aren't just naturally "evil". Rusty is intrigued too, looking into a non-Dalek mind and seeing non-Dalek things.... but to the Doctor's despair once again it takes not only the wrong message, but seemingly answers his own question about whether he is a good man. Because when the Dalek looks into the Doctor's mind what it grasps onto is a purity of hatred that makes its own pale in comparison. In the Doctor's hatred it sees something to aspire to be, and on the ship Rusty turns from murdering human soldiers to murdering Daleks, leading to the hilariously astonished line from one of the victim Daleks,"UNDER ATTACK.... FROM A DALEK!?!"

In Dalek, the Dalek gets under the Doctor's skin by telling the horrified man,"You would make a good Dalek." Here, Rusty dismays the Doctor yet again when it takes his words about "a good Dalek" the wrong way and informs him,"YOU are a good Dalek!" - it's everything that the Doctor feared, the notion that inside he is full of hate, that his attempts at being good are a delusion, that his alien morality is so different from humanity's, his willingness to be pragmatic in the face of horror - with the masks of the young men gone and the old man that he is exposed, the Doctor seems destined to not be the type of man he WANTS to be. He denies Journey her wish to come with him, telling her she seems nice and that he would probably like her... if only she hadn't been a soldier. This rejection of her is just as much a rejection of himself, he WANTS to be the Doctor but he keeps getting in shoved in his face that he's a soldier.

That's where Clara comes to the rescue again, as he drops her off back at the school and she tells him that she still doesn't know if he is a good man or not.... but she knows that he TRIES to be, and that is what is really important. That's the key distinction - Journey didn't realize anything was wrong with being a soldier until the Doctor made her question it. Rusty malfunctioned into being "good" and then had to be forced to expand its horizons and took the entirely wrong message. But the Doctor himself knows that being a soldier isn't right for him, that he needs and wants to be more, and is always actively trying to be a better person than he is. It doesn't put the question to bed, but it does calm his fears somewhat, and like he notes to Clara, he really should be paying her for all the help she gives him as a person. Rusty dropped him to his knees, Clara helped him stand back up.

Into the Dalek is an episode with a LOT going on. Too much, perhaps, as nothing gets a chance to really breathe or shine even though there is some tremendous potential there. Trippy visuals and some nice cinematography mix with some pretty lackluster green-screen effects in other places, like the money ran out halfway through. The jumping between the spaceship in the future and the school in the past to open the episode screwed with the flow a bit, and the Clara/Danny stuff - fun as it was - feels like it was inserted into the script (and it probably was) to fit in with the season long arc and got in the way of the meat of the individual story. I found it very enjoyable, particularly for Capaldi's acting which I thought was top-notch, he salvages the rather poor green-screen with some great facial acting, particularly his despair when Rusty looks into his "soul" and sees only hate. The "am I a good man?" stuff isn't particularly subtle but it fits into the season long arc, and also plays well into a deviation on the interplay between the Doctor and the Dalek in season one's Dalek. Better than mediocre but not quite good enough to be one of the season's top episodes, I think this one will be remembered if only for the novelty of a tiny Doctor running around inside of a Dalek ala The Invisible Enemy.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 10, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I thought this was one of the more memorable episodes of the season. It's definitely the best episode with the word "Dalek" in the title in a long time. There was a lot of heavy handed moments, especially for an early season episode, and there wasn't any real reason to give a drat about the soldiers, but Capaldi acted like the weary Doctor who thought "I thought I was done with the Daleks," because every time he sees them, it's a new fresh hell. Now, it's a Dalek, his most hated foe, who looks into the Doctor's mind and sees the same hatred that always been compartmentalized in its own brain. It ties into the end of Flatline when the Doctor tells Clara being the Doctor doesn't make you a good person by default.

And it's great for Clara to get to parlay her teacher background into an actual plot point in this story. Her slapping the Doctor was the very definition of why the Doctor needs a companion, to pull him back when he wants to shut out the world.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really do love how casually the Dalek Empire is established - they may no longer be the hyper-advanced reality-altering beings that their predecessors were in the Time War, but just like back in the classic days we discover there is at least one time period where they've established enough territory under their control that they're not at war with a planet or planets of other aliens (including humans) or fighting a war on the frontlines... they're in charge and the people fighting them are the resistance, completely on the backfoot and facing utterly overwhelming odds.

This is just an established thing now, and it's one thing that Victory of the Daleks got right - the Daleks are back as an established force in the universe, and episodes about them are no longer about the Doctor jumping in and stopping them before they can establish dominance, he's just running up against them as an established force and helping people in smaller, more intimate situations - much like it often (but not exclusively) was in the classic series.

El Pato
Jul 2, 2007

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I just read this quote...seems very fitting

“Doctor, you don't know what it is to doubt everything, even yourself. No, you don't; you couldn't with eyebrows like yours.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Pato posted:

“Doctor, you don't know what it is to doubt everything, even yourself. No, you don't; you couldn't with eyebrows like yours.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula

Send this to Moffat so we can get a Doctor meets Bram Stoker, quick.

I would have loved In the Dalek more if the Doctor had spent the entire episode carrying that tray of coffee with him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've just realised there's a 'getting coffee in Glasgow" joke. :doh:

Polices boxes in Glasgow have been repurposed as things like coffee shops:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Davros1 posted:

I would have loved In the Dalek more if the Doctor had spent the entire episode carrying that tray of coffee with him.

I feel like if I'd written this season, the final scene of Death in Heaven would have been the Doctor drinking that coffee.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The_Doctor posted:

I've just realised there's a 'getting coffee in Glasgow" joke. :doh:

Polices boxes in Glasgow have been repurposed as things like coffee shops:

What an awful TARDIS replica, the shape's all wrong. :colbert:

One wonders, was that conversion done before or after Doctor Who really took off?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Fucknag posted:

One wonders, was that conversion done before or after Doctor Who really took off?

Seems pretty obvious to me that it would have been done after. They started phasing out call boxes in the 70s, so by the 80s-90s they're mostly out of service. Easily by then they were more associated with Who than actual Police, I'd think.*

*un-sourced conjecture based on skimming the wikipedia article on Police Boxes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

El Pato posted:

― Bram Stoker, Dracula

Davros1 posted:

Send this to Moffat so we can get a Doctor meets Bram Stoker, quick.

:swoon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

McGann posted:

Seems pretty obvious to me that it would have been done after. They started phasing out call boxes in the 70s, so by the 80s-90s they're mostly out of service. Easily by then they were more associated with Who than actual Police, I'd think.*

*un-sourced conjecture based on skimming the wikipedia article on Police Boxes.

Just so. To the point that the Metropolitan Police lost a court case in which they tried to claim trademark rights to the police box design against the BBC. The court ruled in favour of the BBC on the grounds that police boxes hadn't been on the streets for decades and the general public associated them more with Doctor Who and the TARDIS than anything else.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fucknag posted:

Originally it would've been painted red, too. All the Glasgow boxes were.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

From a thread on /r/gallifrey, "Which companion from non-televised media would you be interested in seeing in the television series?"

seraphnb posted:

Frobisher is already the Doctor. I thought this was canon.

When 11 knew he was going to die, he picked up Frobisher the Penguin – who had just (Torchwood: Children of Earth spoiler): faked the death of his human persona from Children of Earth – and let him know the plan. See, 11 didn't want Clara to be unhappy when he died, so he set up an elaborate ruse where, after he died, Frobisher would dress up as him in the Tardis and fake a sudden regeneration into "12". Without much preparation, Frobisher slipped back into his too-comfy form from CoE, basically pretending to be 6 since that's the Doctor he knew best.

That's why 12 didn't immediately recognize Missy with his Time Lord powers – he doesn't have Time Lord powers, because he's not really a Time Lord. When he pretended he didn't know how to fly the Tardis? He wasn't pretending.

Who knows when the ruse will end?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
So is the real Doctor buried at Trenzalore then? Where did the second TARDIS come from in that case? Did the TARDIS bud off and grow a new one in the ~900 years the Doctor was on Trenzalore?

This is actually starting to make a startling amount of sense.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
One small flaw. Twelve doesn't have the fashion sense to be Six.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CobiWann posted:

One small flaw. Twelve doesn't have the fashion sense to be Six.

Clearly Frobisher also hung out with Three for awhile, in stories that we haven't seen/heard yet! :allears:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Hooray, my Beneath The Surface boxset came in! I only have one complaint so far, and surprisingly it's not that the set comes with Warriors Of The Deep. Nah, it has to do with the DVD of Doctor Who And The Silurians.

So this was a 7-episode serial, just like most of Pertwee's first season. 7 25 minute episodes plus DVD extras, so they have it on two discs. That's fine, I have the DVD of Inferno and they do the same thing. For that one, disc 1 has all of the episodes and disc 2 has all of the special features. Makes sense, right?

The DVD of Silurians has 4 episodes plus some special features on disc 1, and the remaining 3 plus the rest of the extras on disc 2. I am baffled as to why you'd make the DVD set this way. If I want to just lie down and watch men in lizard costumes stomp around caves in 1970 for 2 1/2 hours, now I gotta get up halfway through to change the discs? This ain't 1997 with Titanic on VHS, BBC!

Otherwise, now I gotta figure out how to sort this thing, with its stories from 1970, 1972, and 1984.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fucknag posted:

I'm from Glasgow, and I'm reasonably confident that they were first repurposed into coffee stands (mostly, I know the one on Buchanan Street used to sell ice cream instead during the summer. Not much call for ice cream in glasgow outside of that week.) during that period of time after the TV movie but before the revival. If it was post revival then it was early, they've been used like that for ages.

• Locked thread