Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CobiWann posted:

Oh, come on. It's just a puppet! Name me ONE time through all of this show's run that a puppet's been evil or creepy!

The sad thing is, the puppet is no more. A couple of years ago Alex Mallison (who designed and built it) said it took a tumble and broke.

He also said it didn't regenerate into a Christopher Eccleston puppet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

The sad thing is, the puppet is no more. A couple of years ago Alex Mallison (who designed and built it) said it took a tumble and broke.

He also said it didn't regenerate into a Christopher Eccleston puppet.

And not into John Hurt?

It's a shame, the cast interview as the end of the CD spent a good deal of time talking about how creepy the puppet was. I wish someone had gotten to put the McGann puppet and McGann side by side to get his thoughts on it!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

Well I'll stand by my early support of Rose. My biggest issues with her was how she fell in love with the 10th Doctor, became the Most Important Person In The World (til Clara anyway), and just the whole gadding around the Universe like a couple of smug twits thing. Eccleston Era Rose was pretty good.

Yeah, Rose wasn't so bad until she fell in love with the Doctor. Her characterization in The End of the World is one of the few times I think one of the Doctor's companions has criticized and yelled at him for what he always does early on that didn't feel annoying, and it sort of helped to acknowledge the revival was going to be a little different. (If you don't remember, when he notes that the TARDIS is translating everything for her, she is unnerved that his machine got inside of her brain without him even asking her permission, which he tries to deflect with a joke about the Deep South.) It doesn't last long, and the Doctor learns that he has to earn her her trust a little, and Eccleston and Piper play it well.

I don't find Rose as insufferable during the Tennant years as others do (the gadding about thing is fine, and it's really Ten's smugness and not Rose's), but any time they imply something romantic is going on, it's awkward.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I don't find Rose as insufferable during the Tennant years as others do (the gadding about thing is fine, and it's really Ten's smugness and not Rose's), but any time they imply something romantic is going on, it's awkward.

There's only twice I didn't like it. First, at the end of "Tooth and Claw", when a number of men have died bravely trying to protect Queen Victoria from a savage beast, and the Doctor and Rose are giggling because they got her to say, "We are not amused." However, that's supposed to be my reaction, as best I can tell, so it doesn't bother me so much. The second time is at the end of "Love and Monsters", where she shows up to chew Elton our for upsetting Jackie, and the Doctor sort of stands and glares at him disapprovingly immediately after Ian Levine killed all of Elton's friends and has chased him through the streets so he can kill him too. That bit rubbed me the wrong way, and to be honest, I've never quite been able to tell if it was meant to be funny.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd forgotten about the whole Jackie subplot of Love and Monsters until just now. It is actually a worse episode than I remember being, and I do not remember it being very good.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

CobiWann posted:

Speaking of games...

The Doctor has puppet cancer? :ohdear:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

drat it, I can't afford this...if only I had some kind of time machine or mathematical genius to manipulate the stock market...

Noooooope

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

whatsabattle posted:

He does not have puppet cancer!

Oh, come on, what's the worst that could happen?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

whatsabattle posted:

He is a wee little puppet man

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Santee, your first package should arrive today. :siren:GET HYPE:siren:

although your second package has been delayed since work has me so goddamn busy :smith:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does this discussion mean we can officially start calling the Danny/Clara subplot a "turgid time-travelling soap opera"?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CobiWann posted:

And not into John Hurt?

It's a shame, the cast interview as the end of the CD spent a good deal of time talking about how creepy the puppet was. I wish someone had gotten to put the McGann puppet and McGann side by side to get his thoughts on it!

This was before Hurt! And I think McGann's commented on the puppet.

Found this photo from a con, and I think Paul's the only actor who can look like the Doctor no matter what he's wearing:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Oh nooooo! I listened to storm warning and really enjoyed it (after he settled into it a little, the start was rough). :sigh: At least a bunch of the older ones have "web special" prices.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

surc posted:

Oh nooooo! I listened to storm warning and really enjoyed it (after he settled into it a little, the start was rough). :sigh: At least a bunch of the older ones have "web special" prices.

Storm Warning suffers from a bit of overdescription and internal monologues becoming external, but yeah, it's a decent introduction to Big Finish, in my opinion. It's kind of middle of the road for the quality in the early stories (which are the affordable ones!), plus, since you're watching Classic Who, the Eighth Doctor stories shouldn't interfere at all.

Sword of Orion, The Stones of Venice and Minuet in Hell sort of form the rest of Eight's first "season." Orion is a Big Finish favorite, although it's not exactly thought of as one of the best by most of the people in the thread (it starts right in the middle of things, so don't feel like something's wrong with the way you order your tracks or anything if you pick it up), and Stones is decent in my opinion. Pretty much everyone will tell you that Minuet in Hell is downright terrible, even if they agree it's worth a laugh, so if you're short on cash, you may want to avoid it, despite the low price. People here will be able to fill you in on any continuing story threads that happen in it (which, if I remember correctly, is almost nothing). Enjoy! :)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Storm Warning suffers from a bit of overdescription and internal monologues becoming external, but yeah, it's a decent introduction to Big Finish, in my opinion. It's kind of middle of the road for the quality in the early stories (which are the affordable ones!), plus, since you're watching Classic Who, the Eighth Doctor stories shouldn't interfere at all.

Sword of Orion, The Stones of Venice and Minuet in Hell sort of form the rest of Eight's first "season." Orion is a Big Finish favorite, although it's not exactly thought of as one of the best by most of the people in the thread (it starts right in the middle of things, so don't feel like something's wrong with the way you order your tracks or anything if you pick it up), and Stones is decent in my opinion. Pretty much everyone will tell you that Minuet in Hell is downright terrible, even if they agree it's worth a laugh, so if you're short on cash, you may want to avoid it, despite the low price. People here will be able to fill you in on any continuing story threads that happen in it (which, if I remember correctly, is almost nothing). Enjoy! :)

The first of McGann's season I think was a bit of trial and error. Storm Warning is a decent "introduction" story to the Eighth Doctor, where Sword of Orion and The Stones of Venice are decent stories, but with some flaws (the Cybermen felt "forced" into Sword and Stones had a twist that was easily called). Minuet in Hell is Big Finish's Plan 9 From Outer Space in my opinion - bad, but laughbly so, and suffering from a troubled production.

The second season is much better. Invaders from Mars is a silly call back to old time radio packed with 1930's cliches, while The Time of the Daleks takes a cool concept (Shakespeare! In the original Dalek!) and does nothing with it. But The Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear, Embrace the Darkness, and Neverland are absolutely amazing, with Chimes being one of the best Who stories in any medium.

If you are on a budget, Storm Warning, The Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear and Neverland are the absolute must haves. Minuet is one you could hold off on, but it's not a flat out bad serial like, say, The Rapture or what I feel is Big Finish's worst story, Nekromanteia.

Edit - writing up my review of The Juggernauts, and it inspired me to watch a story I hadn't yet seen, a little number called Genesis of the Daleks. All I can say is...wow. That's one cracker of a serial, and I only just finished episode four at lunch.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 18, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I agree with almost everything Cobi has to say, except that I think Neverland was a bit too long and Invaders from Mars didn't have the acting behind it to pull off the homage it was trying to be. Chimes, Seasons of Fear and Embrace the Darkness was a really good run of stories, though. They're also all in the Cheaper Seats category, so to speak, because they're all in the first 50 of the Main Range.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jsor posted:

Does this discussion mean we can officially start calling the Danny/Clara subplot a "turgid time-travelling soap opera"?

The Danny/Clara subplot doesn't have enough passion in it to be "turgid". I think the word you want there is "limp".

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Being abroad on an exchange program, my family decided to sent me a holiday care package. Inside was this:

(photography of top only)

:3:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Bicyclops and CobiWann (quoting's being problematic for me for some reason on this device):

I actually bought the first three stories at the same time from Big Finish, but (apparently from subconsciosuly remembering the opinion of the thread) did not get minuet as well. I probably will - a lot of why I'm loving the early hartnell seasons of the show is the mst3k level of production/1960's horrible cultural concepts combined with doctor who story, so hilariously bad is right up my alley. It's also not a matter of not having the money for the stories that's got me sighing, it's that there are just so many Who audios out there I'm very aware it's not going to be just a one or two time expense.

It's kind of an interesting experience for me in general, as I'm not really an audiobook/audioplay/podcast kinda guy, so I don't really know what to expect in terms of performances, or things that are just considered standards for the medium or anything.

E:
And yeah, I went with the 8th doctor audios specifically because people said they're good ones I can listen to as I watch through the classic series without worrying about messing up continuity for myself in the show.

surc fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 18, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The audio stories are fascinating in that regard, surc, because unlike the classic show, whose campy stuff is just a product of its time, Big Finish is consciously using a format (the radio drama) that really saw its heyday before the television show really began. It allows them to comment on tropes as they use them. Sometimes they do a pretty straight homage with a little Doctor Who flavor, while sometimes they're seeking to disrupt, subvert or reinvent the traditions of the format. They also have the option of, say, making a Seven story seem like it's straight out of his last season, or writing a story for McCoy that he never would have had the opportunity to do on TV. Of course, sometimes Nick Briggs just wants a good old fashioned Dalek story to yell "EXTERMINATE!" in. :v:

It's very Doctor Who in that they sort of asked themselves "What kind of stories do we want for this show in this format? What kind of a feel are we aiming for?" and answered "All of them!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I got into the audios because I grew up on old time radio thanks to my grandfather. I had a healthy dose of old reels of The Shadow, Lights Out, Bold Venture, Dragnet and got most of my sense of humor from Jack Benny. So Big Finish is perfect for me because I get to let my imagination do the heavy lifting, which on some serials is great (Jubilee) and on some serial is terrifying (Jubilee).

With regards to continuity, the only audio I've listened to where it's almost vital that you know about an episode of the show is Primeval, a Five/Nyssa piece that is both a prequel AND a sequel to The Keeper of Traken. But anything you absolutely need to know is laid out in the first episode of the serial anyway...

Big Finish has done a really good job with not making it that you have to know WHERE a story fits in with the televised show or HAVE to know about a villain or bad guy, other than a line like "that's the Butcher of Brisbane, Magnus Greel. We've met before."

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
Thanks for the DVD of The Three Doctors, CobiWann! I was just thinking of skipping ahead and watching this, since I can't seem to move on past 2. I'm surprised we live so near one another, as well!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I really like The Three Doctors mainly because of Two and Three's relationship. I wish they could've done more episodes together. And I love how One is treated like the wise, old man, even though he's technically the youngest of them.

It's a shame that Hartnell's health prevented him from having a bigger role, but hearing how excited he was to do it makes me feel all :3:.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

It's a shame that Hartnell's health prevented him from having a bigger role, but hearing how excited he was to do it makes me feel all :3:.

At least he gets the best line of the whole thing. :unsmith:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

sunsweet posted:

Thanks for the DVD of The Three Doctors, CobiWann! I was just thinking of skipping ahead and watching this, since I can't seem to move on past 2. I'm surprised we live so near one another, as well!

Oh you are in for a treat! It's so grand to see them all together, even if One is there by TV. And he truly does get the best line of the whole thing! Let us know what you think!

And yeah, I saw where your address was and laughed since I'm right on the other side of 95!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh hey, look at this thing that came in the mail...

IT'S A THING

...Is it THAT THING?

AAAAAHHHH OH MY GOD IT IS THAT THING!!!

Who could be so generous!?

... Of course. That's goddamn perfect. Who else?

Thank you so much, Big Mean Jerk. Clearly, your name isn't NEARLY close to the truth.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, well. There's a smaller one headed your way as soon as work cooperates and gives me some free time.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm just waiting in this thread anxious for my Santee to get his gift, or me to get my gift. :ohdear:

Unless he already got it and didn't post it yet.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm just waiting in this thread anxious for my Santee to get his gift, or me to get my gift. :ohdear:

Unless he already got it and didn't post it yet.

Tell me about it. The anticipation is killing me and I really hate USPS's tracking. Both gifts for my Santee were shipped at the same time Tuesday morning. If their tracking is to be believed, one supposedly left a USPS sorting facility about 36 hours ago and has yet to arrive anywhere, while the other hasn't even left the post office where I mailed it. They're supposed to arrive tomorrow. They only needed to go about 300 miles.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I've received mine, if that helps anyone- and I'm pretty sure my santee has received his.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I forgot, I received After The War's gift earlier this week and I can't wait to unleash that insanity upon my unsuspecting friends.

For reference, this is what I received, in CD form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qb6DqiNb3A

Thank you, thank you, you mad bastard. :getin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love Robot of Sherwood. I love it so much, and I think it's so great, and I love it a lot.

Written by Mark Gatiss, an accomplished writer and actor who is also a giant classic series fan who has been writing for the show since the beginning of the revival (he wrote the first non-RTD episode), you could be forgiven for being nervous before this aired. Despite his otherwise impeccable history of writing great comedy and drama on other shows, his offerings on Who have been a mixed bag - however in the last couple of seasons I've felt he's finally got the hang of writing for the show and playing to his strengths. For me, what that means is writing some absolute nonsense where the actors are having a tremendous time, an air of fun permeates everything, and when the show ends the viewer has a big smile on their face. That's how I felt at the end of the excellent The Crimson Horror (aided by a delightfully hammy performance by Diana Rigg) and how I felt at the end of this story, aided by a delightfully hammy performance by Ben Miller (as Christopher Guest from The Princess Bride doing an impersonation of Anthony Ainley).

Such things are subjective of course, and when the episode aired it had a mixed reaction here on the forums. If I recall correctly, at least one person summed it up as this being a story it was impossible to have a neutral reaction to (somebody will prove me wrong very quickly), it either worked for you or it didn't. If it did then like me you were left with a big ol' smile on your face, and if it didn't you were probably left perplexed and agitated at the utter nonsense you just watched. A microcosm of Doctor Who perhaps? In any case, this is the kind of Mark Gatiss story I love, helped along by the fact that standing in contrast to the joy that all the other characters are taking in proceedings, the Doctor is just utterly furious and stubbornly refusing to go along with the fun.

Following the rather darker opening two episodes of this season, this episode feels almost like a break. There is a season-long narrative going on and while parts of it impact on this isolated episode, the effect is negligible - this mostly feels like an episode left alone from the concerns of greater story. So the story opens with the Doctor working away at the mysterious calculations he's been making since the first episode while offering Clara a gift - after dragging her through Victorian London with him and then hoisting her out of time to help him work through an existential crisis, it's time for her to get to set their course. Where would she like to go? Who would she like to meet? Nothing and nobody is off-limits, he's in a giving mood today. Taking him up on the spirit of his offer, she enthusiastically asks to please meet Robin Hood, and he immediately pours cold water on the idea - Robin Hood is a legend, a made up story who at best may be a heavily exaggerated composite version of several different men. Clara insists though, so with agitation the Doctor takes them to the location of all those stories - Sherwood Forest in England in the year 1190 where there is no such thing as Merry Men, evil Sheriffs, or a mysterious outlaw who robs from the rich and gives to the poor.... at which point Robin Hood shows up!

It was either MrL_JaKiri or a Bandrill who said,"You can't just lampshade nonsense" in reference to this episode, and that is very much the Doctor's role in this episode. As the old familiar tales of Robin Hood unfold for a delighted Clara, the Doctor just steadfastly refuses to accept any of it and won't shut up about how little sense everything happening makes. As I said earlier, basically this either works for you or it doesn't, and for me it does. Yes the Doctor is essentially telling the audience,"I know this is all rubbish, why is everybody going along with it?", but there is just something wonderful to me about gloomy, stubborn, agitated Peter Capaldi stomping about in his Doc Martens refusing to accept the evidence of his own eyes. The Merry Men try to ignore him, the Sheriff is perplexed but fascinated by him, while Robin Hood - best of all - finds himself unable to resist competing with the Doctor and trying to get one up over him.

This leads to some of the best comedy moments of the episode, as the Doctor rolls his eyes and complains about Robin and his Merry Men's constant laughter ("That wasn't even funny! That's just banter!") and Robin responds by just aggressively laughing as loudly as he can, channeling his own inner Rick Mayall in the process. Initially taking part in the famous Golden Arrow tournament for entirely different reasons, they quickly lose sight of their individual goals in order to try and outdo each other, and the scenes in the dungeon as they both irritate Clara, screw up an escape plan, or take great delight in mocking each other's chances of outlasting the other are just utterly wonderful, culminating in the fantastic line,"Well there is a bright side.... Clara didn't see that."

It's a completely different side of the Doctor to what we've seen of Capaldi so far, and I'm not entirely sure that's not just down to the fact that when Gatiss wrote the story nobody really knew what this particular Doctor was going to be like. I hope they retain these elements of his character though, because while this would get tiresome on a week to week basis, as a palette cleanser to the darker stuff it's great to see an episode where he's being more comedic - from his hilarious bit of Venusian Akido to his stillness after knocking the keys down the drain to his ridiculous spoon fight on the log (a callback to the story of the first meeting of Robin and Little John). In the previous two stories we've seen him have moments where he blows things by making an incorrect assumption and trying his best to cover it up or move past it, but in this episode we see the more physical side of his comedy, and it works in a way that the rather awful opening segments of Deep Breath did not. It all culminates in a rather sweet moment where he and Robin come to an understanding and shake hands before departing, and that's where we see a little bit of that season-long narrative of the Doctor's questioning of his own moral character peeking in.

This is also an excellent episode in regards to Clara. Her desire to meet Robin Hood is a flight of fancy and for the first part of the story she's very much in happy mode as she thrills to the discovery that the stories are all true, reveling in meeting the Merry Men and having Robin Hood flirt with her. But even as she thoroughly enjoys herself, she can't help but pick up on all those little things that makes her so invaluable to the Doctor, her empathy and understanding of human nature that this incarnation seems to struggle with. As Robin laughs and playfully flirts with her, she picks up that it's a mask to hide the sadness inside, and though she can't help but giddily recount his sad tale ahead of him as he explains it to her, she does still lend a sympathetic ear to a guy who is clearly used to putting up a brave front - after all, she's got plenty of experience with it. But while the first part of the story sees her clearly still viewing everything through a storybook lens (and thus, not really "real") it is ironically the moment where the sci-fi elements kick in that it seems to click for her that this is all very real. From there she is all business, and with a confidence born of experience (compare her "interrogations" with the Half-Face Man and the Sheriff) she quickly takes control of the situation. In the dungeon she is all business, cutting through all the Doctor and Robin's bullshit and quickly establishing herself as the leader of the group. Best of all is her dinner with the sheriff, where she expertly takes control of the situation and turns the tables, getting the entire story of what is going on from him without revealing anything about herself - a fact that only serves to impress the Sheriff and alarm her as he suddenly decides he'd like her to be his consort.

Unfortunately after the strength of that dinner/interrogation scene, Clara basically takes a backseat for the rest of the story. Going from actively leading the trio and outfoxing the villain to simply being a hostage and then source of information, she basically disappears from any active role until the end of the episode where she, Robin and the Doctor team up to fire the golden arrow. In fact the episode itself really feels sloppy from this point on - a rushed and poorly edited affair that probably can be blamed at least partly on the late decision to excise a rather important scene where the Sheriff is explicitly revealed to be part android. Due to incidents happening in Britain at the time, it was felt that showing a "human" decapitation during a family show like Doctor Who would be inappropriate, and so the scene was removed and everything around it edited/reshuffled to make up the lost space. The fact the first 2/3rds of the episode are structured so competently and then everything becomes a bit of a rushed mess in the final third makes me think this was the culprit, and it is a shame because everything was moving along so well to that point.

Well worthy of singling out is Ben Miller as the Sheriff of Nottingham. Almost unrecognizable from his normal appearance, he almost looks like a reincarnation of Anthony Ainley, though others correctly noted he also had a very Christopher Guest in The Princess Bride vibe to him. Miller is great, chewing the scenery in the best way possible, hamming it up but never making the mistake of seeming to openly mock the part. Despite his access to advanced technology and being half-android himself, he is still very much a product of his time, and the timing and delivery of his lines about his plans for conquest are utterly hilarious.

Sheriff: Nottingham is not enough.
Clara: It isn't?
Sheriff: After this... Derby!
Clara: ....right.
Sheriff: Then Lincoln! And after Lincoln....
Clara: Worksop?
Sheriff: THE WORLD! :byodood:

Playing his own part in the traditional stories of Robin Hood, he is more intrigued by seeing the Doctor's sonic screwdriver in action. This is a guy who has had his eyes opened to the opportunities available to him, he's seen there is a wider universe out there but can't quite push himself past the limitations of his own setting/culture to take advantage of it. It's there in his initial limited perspective of using his spaceship and android army to conquer Derby, but also in the fact that he's still obsessed with capturing Robin Hood (in the greater scheme of things, Robin is nothing) and can't resist getting into a swordfight with him when the opportunity presents itself. On the other hand he's also clearly intelligent and articulate, one of the few in this era with the benefit of an education and the luxury of being "cultured". His curious and confused response to the Doctor's claim that Robin Hood is another android designed to give the peasants hope does a great job of puncturing the Doctor's ego - the Sheriff doesn't mock him or taunt him for his mistake, just with genuine confusion asks WHY they would create an enemy to fight them which leaves the Doctor flummoxed because the Sheriff is right, why WOULD they do that? The Doctor of course is being limited in his own way, looking for any explanation for Robin Hood's existence other than the obvious, outsmarting himself in the process.

And yes that is Patrick Troughton slipped in there as a neat little nod to the actor :3:

As mentioned, the resolution is rushed and muddled by the removal of the decapitation scene. Even before that, the peasant rebellion happens out of nowhere, and Marian's part in the episode feels half-finished - the way the Doctor escapes his chains, enables the peasants to destroy their captor androids without so much as a single casualty, and then leaves them to all easily escape the castle while he and Clara watch the cut-up duel between Robin and the Sheriff just feels sloppy. It's very easy to miss the Sheriff's revelation he is half-android, shouted in the middle of their duel, literally the only on-screen indication of the Sheriff's status as being no longer fully human. Robin defeats him by using the same trick the Doctor used on him in their duel, and this leads to a scene both sweet and awful, as the trio work together in order to fire the golden arrow (sweet), which provides the extra momentum/power to allow the android ship to break out of the atmosphere into orbit (awful). They explode as the Doctor warned they would, having apparently set destination for the Promised Land (that season-arc popping in again), an unsatisfying conclusion to this aspect of this story.

Reunited with the Merry Men, Robin says his goodbyes to Clara and the Doctor. He takes the time to liken his story to the Doctor's own (learned from Clara off-screen) and reveals a rather touching satisfaction with the knowledge that in the future his life will have fallen into legend - nobody will believe he really existed, but he's fine with that so long as the message of hope and fairness he tried to bring about carries through. He and the Doctor part ways with friendship at last, and the Doctor - apparently still in a giving mood - leaves Robin a gift too, reuniting him with Maid Marian, who was the unnamed (and barely written) female character who was taken prisoner and eventually helped the Doctor escape captivity.

Robot of Sherwood is fun. It's a deliberately comical and utterly enjoyable bit of nonsense where the actors seem to be having great fun, even Capaldi who has to play the curmudgeon through most of the story. With a delightfully hammy performance from Ben Miller as the Sheriff and an aggressively cheerful one from Tom Riley (he plays Da Vinci in that awful looking Da Vinci's Demons tv series) as Robin Hood, as well as more strong character work for Jenna Coleman's Clara, it's an episode that is easy to love.... so long as it works for you. If it doesn't, boy I can see this being an aggravating episode. For me though, it left me feeling great and with a big smile on my face - if Mark Gatiss writes one story like this every season, I'd be delighted.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 19, 2014

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Little_wh0re posted:

No problems man. Hartnell is my fave doc so you'd better enjoy it.

There is a bit more to arrive but I think they shipped seperately

Yup. The Begining just arrived. Brilliant!

One Swell Foop posted:

I've received mine, if that helps anyone.

I'm so so sorry.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

BSam posted:

I'm so so sorry.

I haven't opened it yet though :ohdear:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That's a really generous gift, Big Mean Jerk. I am glad you could send Doctor What some Wholiday cheer in the midst of his wintry doldrums. We are going to have change your name to Not That Mean Guy Who is Not Really a Jerk.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Robot of Sherwood is an episode that I would feel comfortable showing to a non-fan of the show as an example of what Doctor Who is. It's a stand alone episode that's just plain fun with the Doctor and Clara having their individual moments.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

I love Robot of Sherwood. I love it so much, and I think it's so great, and I love it a lot.

Thank you. I loved this episode, and will be adding it to the list of episodes I be rewatch occasionally (you know, as soon as it's added to Netflix). It's such a fun episode.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Here's someone doing a half decent impression of the Ninth Doctor doing a decent impression of the Eleventh Doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yboaJYXisGY

Man, I miss the Ninth Doctor.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well, Forest of the Night just may be the worst Doctor Who episode I've ever seen. New contender!

Thank God for Jamie Mathieson, because if he hadn't buffered out the one-two punch of Kill the Moon and Forest of the Night I may have suffered permanent brain damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Oxxidation posted:

Well, Forest of the Night just may be the worst Doctor Who episode I've ever seen. New contender!

Thank God for Jamie Mathieson, because if he hadn't buffered out the one-two punch of Kill the Moon and Forest of the Night I may have suffered permanent brain damage.

Kill the Moon is actually pretty good. Forest almost manages to be good but the KIDS DON'T NEED MEDS message is really hosed up.

You just gotta learn to understand the stories as being based on thematic logic instead of psuedoscientific bases.

• Locked thread