Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Why can't we have some audio goodness in the OP?
We have couple of reviewers, some listeners and at least 3 8th doctor avatars in this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Some starting recommendations for where to start would be good.

I'm still working through 8th Doctor audios, but I'd recommend Dark Eyes 1 as the best starting point for him.
Blood of the Daleks would be another good start.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I didn't personally like the Storm Warning that much.

Also starting from there, "Minuet in Hell" is the 4th episode you'll hear!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Uh Oh! Somebody skipped the Head-day!

Or maybe he needs a manly full-beard to round-up that tiny head.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Astroman posted:

I don't have archives, but is there anything prophetic (or stupid) that I said? Nothing will top my ranting against Matt Smith's picture, but you never know. :allears:

I finished up another Peter Purves first Doctor Companion Chronicle today, The Perpetual Bond. You wouldn't think a first Doctor audio about 60s London merchantile traders would be interesting, but it was drat good. Stephen audios are rapidly becoming one of my favorite listens.

"Billie Piper is fairly 3 dimensional, not a Scream Queen, and has realistic reactions. "

For Shame Astroman! For Shame!

Also Surprising number of people really liked the 2nd episode: "The End of the World". I thought that was panned as pretty awful by our collective hivemind.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

Here's someone doing a half decent impression of the Ninth Doctor doing a decent impression of the Eleventh Doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yboaJYXisGY

Man, I miss the Ninth Doctor.

That's actually pretty good. Shame that Eccleston and his enormous ears didn't last longer.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

There are loads of issues with Kill the Moon and Forest but I'm so used to people taking issue with stuff that ISN'T bad in them that I went off on you unreasonably.

As for the abortion thing, I think Moon made a serious effort to be as careful about it as possible given its plot. The decision is made exclusively by women, for one. But yeah.

Problem is that in this metaphor, the Planet plays the part of a Woman and the 3 characters decide against her wishes, what's best for her Uterus Moon.

A Very poor choice/use of a metaphor.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Looks like Big Finish is starting its annual Christmas sale tomorrow:

quote:

The 12 days of Big Finish special offer will start on Christmas Day. There will be 12 titles from across the Big Finish range available over the 12 days of Christmas for just 48 hours each...

The releases will cost £2.99 and are available on download only. The majority of titles we are offering have not been on sale before.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Rannos22 posted:

Just stopping by to say that the doctor who A Christmas Carol is still the best doctor who christmas special and maybe even my favorite TV christmas special ever.

I'd rank the End of Time as No.1, but Christmas Carol is a close second.
You just can't beat Wilfred as a companion and Timothy Daltons hams it all up splendidly!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Are you talking to me? :smug:

Or me? :smug:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

That was the best swerve!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Jsor posted:

I watched this episode at the onset of a migraine. My migraine onsets are characterized by sharp pain localized on one of my temples. Is this the real life?

Check a random two-digit page of this thread and read the first word.

Let's say page 16.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Glenn_Beckett posted:

I did that. The word is the amazing and ever-useful: "yeah."

Mokinokaro posted:

Funny, it was "chocolate" for me...

Oh no! It is happening! :aaa:

We have to decode this message to learn the truth.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Doctor is really clueless about people senile:

:j: Am I still old?

:v: I dunno, you tell me. (hands mirror)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I might have a problem.

Lately I've been listening to 4th doctor adventures, which were surprisingly good.
More passive Doctor and Action packed Leela fit very well together.

I haven't actually seen any of the old serials, but I can Imagine Leela being all:

But this is what I "see" when listening to the Doctor:

Can't help it. 4th Doctor IS an Old Man for me, not the dashing scarf-wielding hero. :sigh:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, does that mean that if I already paid I get them too?

Yes.

Now I just hope they add the 4th season of the Dalek Empire into the bundle.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

ashpanash posted:

Would it count as a spoiler in the Occupation thread if I mentioned that I recommend he only does one review this week, and then start back on two a week, only because of the way the season is structured?

If he keeps doing two a week, he'll split up three two-parters.

No point really. He seems to be doing 1 around Wednesday and 1 in Weekend, so there's not much difference either way.

ashpanash posted:

I loved the before-the-credits reveal in Pandorica. What a mind gently caress.

And it just keeps on going and going.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

After The War posted:

Luckily, there's a cure for that. Usually we start you off on a course of Robots of Death , then choose the treatment according to your response.

Well... I watched and liked it enough to check the Leelas first episode The Face of Evil and onward up to Image of The Fendahl :v: .

I consider The Face of Evil, Robots of Death Good episodes and I really really enjoyed The Talons on Weng-Chiang. Although I can't see how Audio-Dramas based on Jago and Litefoot could work.
Has anyone listened those and are they any good?

Horror of Fang Rock was mostly bad, but Leelas had some good moments.

The invisible Enemy and Image of Fendahl are just bad. ugh!.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I love Horror of Fang Rock, but I won't dispute at all that the best moment in the entire story was this one:

Nobody else even blinks when she does it :allears:

My favourite part was the taunting of dying Rutan and resulting conversation with the Doctor.
Leela :allears:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Screw the haters, more Myles and Barrowman is great news!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Colin Baker has been active:

Making a spot for NASA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPSN4PwL1Mg

Will be appearing on Star Trek Continues as Planetary leader or something.

Also some Big Finish stuff on this interview:
http://whatculture.com/tv/doctor-interview-colin-baker.php

Choice quote:
"Perhaps people should watch TV with bags over their heads so they only hear my voice!"

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Bunnita posted:

I've been listening to the fourth doctor's big finish and is it just me or is the sound mixing just awful? I can't hear half the muttering lines and then the music is blaring at a huge volume.

I have a commute now so I bought all of the fourth docs stories as he was always my favorite. I think I just started season three.

Is the sound thing a problem on my side?

I did notice same in first few episodes, but either I got accustomed to it, or the problem went away.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

And not have any articles on "Rape" or "gently caress Buddies."

We need to know about sex in the Doctor Who!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I'm here innocently listening to the Dalek Empire 4, when surprisingly familiar, annoying voice starts to speak.
I didn't realize Noel "Mickey the Tin-dog" Clarke was a Big Finish Alumni and apparently in a big role in the series.

He's probably going to ruin this play for me.
Not because anything he does in episode, but because I'm constantly reminded about his awful character in Main Who! :negative:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

It's all fun and games with the eight!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Aha! Now you have no choice but to listen to Minu...

Wait. Haven't we done this before?

That isn't on sale!

I broke down and got the whole lot. :)

I've never seen/listened any 5th/6th/7th Doctor episodes. Is there any chronological list of episodes?
The series seems to jump between Doctors (easy to sort) and Companions (Not that easy).

At least 8th Doctor episodes don't change companions from episode to episode!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

That looks more boring than Baseball.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh my loving God, finally a chance for her to go on endlessly about her dad in audio!

Don't forget plastic mannequins! Classic enemy returns.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Hopefully we'll get Paternoster box sets.

What other non-doctor, non-companion possibilities are there from modern who?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Failure to unzip sounds like a faulty download. Re-download should fix that.

No idea on the windows-machine failures apart from what the Big Finish itself recommends.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

There's the first story from the Eight Doctor adventures: Blood of the Daleks and then thereis his newest series that start with Dark Eyes 1-box set.

Both start with a new companion and are relatively new.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

It is the off-season for Doctor who, so there isn't actually anything else to discuss.

Or we could gush about Colin Baker talking about Star Trek fan production he is on:

https://vimeo.com/118364208

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Reserving this post for my audio review index.

Bumping this up. Where's your review list?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Emerson Cod posted:

I know I'm not the only one wondering where MacQueen is.

He's in 4:49 in section called Faces for radio.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Subscription prices for seasons didn't get lowered and they're 40e for season 1 VS 23e for bundle of same season 1. Season 4 is 80e VS 28e for same bundle.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

These are some quality Big Finish choices.

I know, right? Once I finally do catch up (I've been calculating when this will happen and it will be in late 2017 if I continue at the rate I'm going), I'm just going to complain that I have to wait a whole month for more Big Finish!

a Whole week more likely. Last year there was 50ish Doctor Who related releases, including quite few boxed sets.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

From toxx-thread

Little_wh0re posted:

this is both not true and has never been true and I really wish people would stop saying it, they meet out of order, but not reverse

Eh. the Show heavily implies that it is mostly in reverse order with "His First Time and her Last."-stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wavWtkIgnDQ

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I'd say the 7th season was the season that dropped the ball. 5th & 6th Season had so many balls in the air, that I didn't care if 1 or 2 got dropped in the background. As a whole it worked.

7th Season dropped the heavy continuity and tried more individual stories and no two-parters. I like both of those and clearly Moffat is better at doing serial-stories. It didn't help that we had half year of companions that had overstayed their welcome and rest of the season was spend with one that didn't get any characterization until the 8th season.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I hated the Missy-teasers inside the earlier episodes. She was great in the finale, but the teasers felt just pointless manic pixie badguy-stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Season 8 was mostly great, though.

Agreed. All 10 episodes of the Season 8 were mostly great! :colbert:

• Locked thread