Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah, it was about time for a new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Burkion posted:

One point I will carry over from the last thread- DoctorWhat, while Time Force did carry a lot of elements from TimeRanger, the most important aspect of the show that defined it as TRYING to be more of a genre series was an entirely American creation and idea.

Ransik. Ransik was the much needed human face on the central conflict that made up the core of Time Force, and has no REAL equal in the Sentai version. The fact that they got Bennet from loving Commando to play him is only icing on the cake.

THUS IS THE RANGER CHAT NERDERY.

I wouldn't know about the Ransik thing, I don't actually watch Sentai or Toku and, apart from a brief exploration of Kamen Rider W, never have. I just read somewhere that Time Force was one of the more faithful pre-Disney adaptations.

Detective No. 27 posted:

No mention of plum pudding?

Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without plum pudding!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I love Doctor Who and the Pirates, but not just because of the Thing, or because of the emotional arcs, or any of its other great intrinsic qualities.

I also love it for being called Doctor Who and the Pirates. There are people who shorten it to "...and the Pirates". These people are cowards.

(And for the record, it's Doctor Who and the Silurians, too!)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Emerson Cod posted:

Christmas isn't Christmas without plum pudding.

When is a door not a door?

When it's a... a raspberry jam jar?

God, now he's just loving with us!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I found a physical copy of Jubilee at a used bookstore! :woop:

I have a copy of Jubilee signed by Colin Baker

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well Rob Shearman follows me on Tumblr, we hung out in London for an hour, and he's signed my Holy Terror.

My hand-made smug-colin-baker emote stands.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TinTower posted:

That's the one. :allears:

Speaking of tumblr, what happened to yours, DoctorWhat? I kinda liked it. :shobon:

Whadda ya mean? It's still there! bright-coat-and-bravado.tumblr.com

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The actual best part of Day of the Doctor is the unspoken punchline of "Let zygons be bygones", and I will maintain this opinion until my dying day :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Even better than using waxwork Tom Baker in the line-up in the closing shot?

That's a very close second. Really a goddamn fantastic joke.

"Let Zygons be bygones" is still WAY better, especially when left unsaid.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I have often criticized Moffat's run on the show, for various reasons, and I still stand by those criticisms. Under his direction I have completely gone off the show and haven't watched an episode since that one with the dinosaurs or whatever. With one exception.

That exception is "Day of the Doctor" and I will happily state that I give Moffat full credit for making it a wonderful, joyous celebration of the show's history. Sure, it was nonsensical in parts, but it was the sort of fun nonsense a multi-Doctor episode should be. It pushed all my fanboy buttons and I'll happily take my hat off to Moffat for it. :)

(it also helps that he preceded it with "Night of the Doctor", which gave Paul McGann another go at portraying the Doctor on TV, which he did a wonderful job of. Also that Moffat had just wonderful things to say about both McGann and Big Finish in the interview that followed. I don't always like Moffat but in this case he was truly a class act)

Dude, Series 8, bar a couple of stumbles, has been a vast improvement and is well worth-watching. Moffat at his Series 5-style best.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's a real goddamn shame Gridlock is so continuity-heavy, because if it weren't, it'd be the perfect introductory episode for the show as a whole.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

River's rad, the problem is that Series Six was all about River, and Serie Six sucked. That's not a CAUSAL relationship, but much like "The Twin Dilemma" and Ol' Sixie, they're impossible to fully seperate from one another.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Series Six does, indeed, have numerous really good episodes. Taken on its own merits, the opening two-parter is really solid at worst. The Doctor's Wife, while not even close to being the best Doctor Who story ever,* is a story that needed telling, and was told well and fun and really great. The Girl Who Waited and The God Complex are likewise fantastic.

However, Series Six failed as a serialized narrative, because although the resolution was ridiculously telegraphed, the ridiculous span of time between the airings of The Impossible Astronaut and The Wedding of River Song, combined with the innumerable ways in which Wedding and Let's Kill Hitler failed to stick the landing on their numerous Big Leaps, made the dissonance between the hype and the delivered product almost comical in its enormity.

* Even only counting TV stories, it'd need to beat out The Ribos Operation, Gridlock, City of Death, fully half of Season 12, Midnight, Caves of Androzani, and The Curse of Fenric, plus at least a dozen other stories, before it stood a chance.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jsor posted:

Out of wonder, why do people hate Let's Kill Hitler so much? Admittedly I only saw it once, but I remember liking it in a "oh my god this is the most ridiculous thing ever" sort of way. I enjoy it the same way Occ likes The Christmas Invasion, basically.

We waited nearly three months for it, expecting something that really dealt with the aftermath of A Good Man Goes to War, but it failed to live up to the hype it set up. Some great moments, but it failed to cohere.

It's a microsm of the Series as a whole.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nah it's not great and has a few big big big problems with it

The pacing is solid, the direction is good, the Silence are genuinely creepy, and the "victory", though morally dubious in the extreme, is cleverly effected. There's excellent moments, like Rory's trauma over his alternate life, and the fantastically bizarre imagery of the Astronaut rising from a lake with a laser gun. Canton owns, too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

But wait, where does that leave The Ark In Space!?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bEmE-9K6oPs

Yeah, I know the TARDIS shouldn't be able to materialise inside an older version of itself, but I had to hide the tv camera in the shot, so let's just say a wizard The Moment did it.

:krad:, dude!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

No one but this thread seems to realize how rubbish Lidster is. :smith:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sylvester McCoy continues to defy the laws of physics:

I half-expect that one day, Sly'll be doing an interview and his hat'll start spinning around in midair like Homsar.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm sure half or more of the thread already knows, but Katy Manning was as blind as a bat without her glasses, too!

Hence the adorable hand-holding with Pertwee - otherwise, she'd ACTUALLY be constantly twisting her ankle and running into trees.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The best Christmas episode is The Chimes of Midnight, and everyone knows it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The first audio I had my mom (and almost-70-year-old dad!) listen to was 1963: Fanfare for the Common Men, because the Beatles stuff served as a good "reference point" for a pseudohistorical radio story. Both of them liked it!

But it was The Chimes of Midnight, listened to on Christmas Day 2013, that got my mom REALLY into Big Finish, and modern audio stuff (like Welcome to Night Vale) in general. She'd listened to The Shadow and suchlike as a kid, but yeah, Chimes owns.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The relative merits of Spare Parts and The Chimes of Midnight could be debated until the heat death of the universe, but I don't think it can be readily denied that Chimes is better as a Christmas story.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The relative merits of any two things can be debated, doesn't mean Spare Parts isn't better

Spare Parts is an incredibly well-executed story about the origins of the Cybermen. Davison and Sutton, as well as the guest cast, turn in excellent performances in a fairly straightforward story. It has its moments, OH IT HAS WONDERFUL MOMENTS, but it is, by necessity, overrated.

The Chimes of Midnight is not overrated. Every single line of dialogue is goddamn brilliant, often brilliantly, bitingly, viciously satirical. It's the most cynical Christmas Special (of any quality) this side of Blackadder, but manages to subsequently transform itself into a genuinely POSITIVE story about the triumph of the oppressed classes over their wealthy abusers. A truly Whoish, alchemical marvel, right up there with The Ribos Operation, Gridlock, and Planet of the Ood. It's the exact sort of self-righteous, uncompromising progressive influence that every single Doctor Who story should at least aspire to be.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

shut up, it totally is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Fungah! posted:

DoctorWhat posted:

[citation needed]

I don't think Spare Parts could be better at what it sets out to do, apart from perhaps more directly dealing with the Adric stuff. And they really should just film the drat thing within the next couple of years, because SERIOUSLY.

But literally nothing can live up to the amount of hype that gets raised about Spare Parts.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Fungah! posted:

You could say the same thing about Chimes, though. Chimes is very good and all, but an awful lot of people have said an awful lot of hyperbolic stuff about it over the years.

yeah but Chimes is better.

... shut up, you're the worst :mad:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You can do Other Things while listening to Big Finish, though. That's how I've listened to SO GODDAMN MUCH OF IT.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

Like helping to create time lord society and then jumping into a loom? :v:

:mad:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I just recieved some VERY STRANGE anonymous messages on my Tumblr. Here they are:

quote:

Since the Great One has moved on, his countenance shining back and forth upon America and Cymru now, and usurped by the Caledonian Moff, it seems the perfect time to collect together the knowledge of his great works and write a splendid epic of his great struggles and works.

quote:

Some may argue that Pope has done our job for us (click here), but I say that no less than ten books of praise to His Munificence are necessary to adequately describe his great ascent into glory.

quote:

Book I should, I feel, obviously being with the Fall of Who, and Russelon's noble escape, carrying Ian Levine on his shoulders. We shall then chart the mighty struggles and travails of Russelon's great journey, the building of his retinue (Book IV shall deal extensively with the Romance of Orman and Bumlius), before the foundation of the New Who at Animalkwackium.

quote:

This follows the defeat and peacemaking with the tribe of the Tiveii in Book XII (after the lengthy corridor-running sequence of Book X, which also contains the discussion in the halls of Broadcasting House Omnipotent between Gradius, the Father of Gods and King of Men, and his wife Heggesso and daughter Trantera.)

quote:

Of Smarms and the Hack I sing,who first from the coasts of Cardiff,exiled by "Mine All Mine",came to England and London shores;much buffeted on sea and land by violence from upset"Bob and Rose" viewers,through cruel Miles' unforgiving wrath, and much enduring in war also,till he should build a travesty and bring his gods to DWM; whence came theToady race, the lords of OG, and the lofty walls of SFX.

... what the actual christ???

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Toxx is reaching out to you for collaboration on a book project!

No joke, since they seem to have arrived just after Toxx finished End of Time Pt. 2, I wouldn't be surprised if there WAS a connection.

Still, WEIRD AS HELL.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I mean, I did get that official Seven sweater basically as SOON as it went on sale.

But wow, I'm seriously baffled by those anon messages. Who sent them? What do they mean? Is it a Watcher? A Valeyard? Tom Baker playing himself in the 50th Anniversary special from November 17, 2061?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Filox posted:

Was the (click here) in the second quote active? If so, where did it direct you?

Possible clue in second quote - can anyone name a book about the Roman Empire written by someone named Pope? (Google wants me to learn all about various heads of the Catholic church, doesn't help.)

Nope. Clicks don't work in Tumblr asks. So either it was copy-pasted from something that WOULD allow links, or it's part of the doom house mystique, which I already have in spades.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Elton from Love and Monsters had the last name Pope...

I'm sorta freaking out, tbh. This is some Da Vinci Code-type poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

HOLY poo poo

HOLY loving poo poo

That word "Heggesso"?

It doesn't appear ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET...

EXCEPT FOR THE GODDAMN VOYNICH MANUSCRIPT

I don't know how deep this rabbit-hole goes, but I'm spooked. This is the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me and I need ALL the help I can get.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Castle Radium posted:

Or it could just be a nod to the controller of BBC 1 at the time of Dr Who's revival.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorraine_Heggessey

Yeah, I worked that out literally two minutes ago :downs:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

After a good night's sleep, I think I know what's going on.

DoctorWhat...it's the Coat. It's trying to communicate.

so what do I do? Do I put it on a mannequin, touch my forehead to the dummy's, say "contact", and hope that a silly sci-fi noise plays?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

That scarf is fantastically vibrant!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Holy Terror was the first audio I listened to all the way through, after false-starts with The Sirens of Time and Spare Parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jsor posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The only thing I can think of is the Zygons in Day of the Doctor, but that's not Daleks. Something in Asylum maybe?

The Big Bang.

• Locked thread