Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

I'll work on it this weekend while binging through this BBC show someone recommend - El Dorado.

Fun fact: Mark Millar made jokes about how bad Eldorado was when he wrote stories for the UK's official Sonic the Hedgehog / Sega comic in 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Prenton posted:

Was Crime Traveller really that crap? Yes

I wonder how Anthony Horowitz would do as Doctor Who showrunner/head writer? I've never seen anything he's written for television, but I was mad keen on his books when I was younger.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Sontaran two-parter is good on its own merits, but I often feel it seems a little weaker than it really is for being sandwiched between "The Ark on Space" and "Genesis of the Daleks".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't really like River at first, but I came round to liking her when I realised how much the chracter upset Doctor Who fans. :troll::respek::smug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Tron posted:

That's amazing. I have to believe that Moffat intends to bring Gallifrey back before his time is up, and when he does it will have to call back to that scene.

I mentioned in the last thread, it would have been the coolest thing ever if that had been the "It's Peter Capaldi!" reveal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

It's easily the best Christmas special and is actually in my top ten for the revival in general.

Granted, it's not exactly up against particularly stiff competition. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Little_wh0re posted:

The snowmen was a christmas episode wasn't it? That was actually a good episode. Not just a good* episode

*for christmas

Yeah, it was good.

They're the two best Christmas episodes. "Voyage of the Damned" and "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe" are the weakest ("The End of Time" would definitely be in the running but I'm not sure if it counts or not).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

And on the same day I was paid and everything.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

... what the actual christ???

Excerpts from the forthcoming second edition of Russell T Davies's The Writer's Tale, in the style of Amanda McKittrick Ros.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

I was going to say Gibbon...

I mentioned Ros becuase I believe in promoting local talent. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you'd asked me for a Fifth Doctor recommendation 10 years ago, "Earthshock" would've been at the top of my list. :cripes:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Apparently, this scene might have made a decisive contribution to getting the show put on hiatus because of how bad it was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The scene was included because the actor in question had martial arts training, and the screenwriter (Johnny Byrne trying to be Eric Saward) wanted to take advantage of her skills. Unfortunately, I imagine it's a bit hard to make your judo kick look especially convincing when your opponent is a shambling pile of crap.

I have a bit of an odd question: when did the revival start using pre-credits teasers? I know every episode this season had one, and I imagine they've been part of the series probably all the way back to season one; did "Rose" not have one? I imagine it didn't have one, being the first one back, and my recollection of how the episode began doesn't really leave space for it. Unfortunately, I can't check because I no longer have the season one DVD (I keep meaning to replace it with the box set; I've been meaning to do a big rewatch of the revival for a while, inspired by Jerusalem's reviews, but the only DVDs I have at the moment are season five through seven).

"Remembrance of the Daleks" is the only classic series one I'm fairly sure had a teaser (with the Dalek mothership looming towards Earth like it's out of Star Wars or something).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"No Man's Land" was the first BFA story I listened to. The second was "Red" (or, as it is perhaps more accurately called, "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sunsweet posted:

Now I wish he were still the Doctor, so there could be a scene where his shirt gets ripped off and he's just buff as hell.

He'd leave the bow tie on, of course.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FreezingInferno posted:

Otherwise, now I gotta figure out how to sort this thing, with its stories from 1970, 1972, and 1984.

Honestly, I just chucked the slipcase.

<ducks>

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching "Silver Nemesis". I saw most of this story many years ago as an omnibus broadcast on UK Gold. I'm aware of its reputation but it's one of two McCoy episodes I've not seen in full (the other is "Time and the Rani") so I thought I might as well give it a go.

I will say, though, as much as Keff McCulloch gets slagged off for his incidental music, his version of the theme is a favourites of mine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

At least you like something about it

Courtney Pine is in it for like 30 seconds. I like Courtney Pine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So far, it's not been as good as some other entries from the McCoy era.* I mean, it's nothing risible, but it's been mediocre at best. Feels a lot like "Remembrance" except with Cybermen instead of Daleks; I actually think it would be a lot better if the Cybermen weren't in it, to be honest, because they aren't acquitting themselves particularly well here, even by the standards of post-1968 Cybermen TV stories. On top of that, there's just too much going in: you have Lady Peinforte, some Neo-Nazis and the Cybermen; three villainous factions in three episodes when one or two probably would've sufficed.

Random observations: in the first episode, the Doctor has a fob watch, and Ace wears a fez; the Doctor moving some pieces around on a chessboard makes me feel like watching "Fenric" again, which is a much better story.

*Then again, when you step back and look at it, that last stretch of the classic run had some of the best stories the series had and has done.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, Ark in Space owns pretty hard.

Purportedly the favourite classic serial of both Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they have Julian Bleach back whenever Davros inevitably returns. He was great in the role.

While one can debate the merits of "The Stolen Earth" / "Journey's End", they were a much better finale for the RTD era as a whole than "The End of Time".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed "The End of the World", though when it came out, 13-year old me was still trying to get to grips with the idea that the new series wouldn't be using four-part serials. :v:

I've heard a funny story that nobody working on the show had ever had to manage to a science-fiction programme before, so they collectively panicked and spent most of the season one effects budget on their second episode. I don't know if that's true, but it should be. Either way, they managed well with what they had for the rest of Eccleston's stint on the series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I don't find Rose as insufferable during the Tennant years as others do (the gadding about thing is fine, and it's really Ten's smugness and not Rose's), but any time they imply something romantic is going on, it's awkward.

There's only twice I didn't like it. First, at the end of "Tooth and Claw", when a number of men have died bravely trying to protect Queen Victoria from a savage beast, and the Doctor and Rose are giggling because they got her to say, "We are not amused." However, that's supposed to be my reaction, as best I can tell, so it doesn't bother me so much. The second time is at the end of "Love and Monsters", where she shows up to chew Elton our for upsetting Jackie, and the Doctor sort of stands and glares at him disapprovingly immediately after Ian Levine killed all of Elton's friends and has chased him through the streets so he can kill him too. That bit rubbed me the wrong way, and to be honest, I've never quite been able to tell if it was meant to be funny.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed "Robot of Sherwood". It was fun. I was not really expecting much else. But I thought the same of Gatiss's other "the Doctor meets an historical figure" episodes ("The Unquiet Dead" and "The Shakespeare Code"), which were also enjoyable and fun, so :shrug:

The way "In the Forest of the Night" turned out was especially disappointing, I think, because someone with as much experience writing childrens' fiction as Frank Cottrell Boyce probably ought to have cottoned on to the implications of the medication angle.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 19, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fungah! posted:

YOU DARE MOCK THE GREAT OMEGA!? MY WILL CREATED THIS PLACE AND YOU SHALL NOT MOCK ME!!
                                                              \

"Are you sure that you and he are of the same intelligence?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rannos22 posted:

Just stopping by to say that the doctor who A Christmas Carol is still the best doctor who christmas special

It isn't exactly up against particularly stiff competition there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

adhuin posted:

You just can't beat Wilfred as a companion and Timothy Daltons hams it all up splendidly!

A shame about everything else.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Psybro posted:

The Christmas Carol badly loses its way in terms of pacing as it passes the halfway mark and all that singing stuff was bollocks which is there to use Katherine Jenkins in a way that RTD never dared by having Astrid start singing 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' and jiggling her arse about.

Well, on the other hand, RTD had Kylie Minogue acting; at least Moffat got Jenkins to do something she's good at. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

It is the third best Christmas Carol adaptation, behind A Muppet Christmas Carol and the play adaptation I was in when I was eight years old and played Tiny Tim and other characters (which was obviously the best one).

What about Mickey's Christmas Carol?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought it was fun. It was a pretty good finale for season eight; "Death In Heaven" was the denouement but this felt like the conclusion.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Did it seem to anyone else that Capaldi was channelling Tom Baker again at times, as he did in Mummy On The Orient Express?

I was going to say, the bits in the research station reminded me a lot of a Pertwee or Baker episode, or one of the Troughton era base under siege stories.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

His idea of developing a plot over a season is for Missy to show up and wave at the camera every couple of episodes.

The Russell T Davies Method. :v::

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

See, now I'm just wondering how the hell Serafinowicz has never done a big finish.

I wish Darth Maul had been given more lines in TPM.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's really no words to describe "Minuet". It's one of those things you have to listen to and/or allow to wash over you at least once if you want to understand it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've finally done it, after yonks talking about doing it. Using a couple of Amazon gift cards I got for Christmas, I went and got the DVD sets for the first four seasons of the revival plus the year of specials. So, I'll probably be rewatching that at long last.

Might alternate it with Farscape, but I'm not sure yet. I'd like to watch Farscape the whole through.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

docbeard posted:

I will listen to Minuet twenty more times before I will ever listen to Nekromanteia again.

One is bad enough it loops round and becomes enjoyable again. The other is the one where the Doctor is beheaded and a rapist gets the happiest ending.

Gaz-L posted:

"What does an American want? Democracy? NO! CAPITALISM!"

Is that a reference to something? I assume it is, but I don't recognise it. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't all that impressed with "The Leisure Hive" the first time I saw it, but it's grown on me a lot every time I've re watched it.

The first serial with JNT in the producer's seat, I think.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's another piece of moderately amusing trivia: it's also one of the relative handful of early DVD releases (i.e. the discs are silver rather than having a picture printed on them) that never got a special edition re-release. Other examples include "The Dalek Invasion of Earth", "Pyramids of Mars", "Earthshock", "The Two Doctors" and "The Curse of Fenric".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not much into computer games, but I understand that adventure games are on the upswing. There could be a good Doctor Who point and click adventure game.

Look, I've been playing a lot of Sam & Max lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The main problem with "The Beast Below" was that the Demon Headmaster was underused in it.

• Locked thread