Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
I've had nothing but negative experiences with Xamarin. We've had pretty poor support for a decently expensive license, not to mention it's been pretty buggy. I was troubleshooting an issue with a client where an if statement was always evaluating to true when it was the first statement in a try block. Moving the conditional statement outside the try and it executed as expected. After working for a couple of hours, it gives cryptic errors about being unable to build, and I have to restart Visual Studio to get it going again.

The biggest limitation we ran into was when we needed to use reflection. A lot of the reflection APIs aren't supported (The app is strictly Android, no other platforms) and we had to write a lot of extra code to work around it. I would have much rather have developed a native Android app, but since I came into the project during the maintenance phase, the technology & architecture choices were already made.

On the other hand, there are other people at work who use it to develop Android and iOS apps and swear by it, so I'm left wondering if it's just the project I'm working with or if they've yet to run into any major issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread