Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm using it to concurrently develop an iOS and an Android app. I would never go back (unless someone figured out a way to make Scala work on iOS). I've actually rewritten my previously-MvvmCross app without MvvmCross and I find that is actually a lot more maintainable as a single developer with very limited time and resources. The separation and testability of the MVVM model introduced way too much time overhead (not to mention a too-rigid structure) for me to cope with when under pressure to add features. I ended up using a shared project with all the core functionality inside non-singleton service classes, and a singleton Universe class which holds all the "global" state and service instances, but which can be switched out for a mock one if necessary.

It is buggy at times and I think Xamarin has some serious issues with their support and quality control. I tried Xamarin.Forms, their cross-platform UI library, and it is almost unusable and at the time I last tried it (around August) a lot of the core functionality was marked internal so you couldn't even override it if you needed to. And then they kept releasing feature releases while some extant bugs were stopping the show (like table views on Android displayed cells in a completely random order due to them not understanding how to reuse cells for like three versions). Xamarin Studio is also terrible and I have to restart it every hour because pushing enter at the end of a line starts indenting by like 55 spaces. Also the IDE sometimes splits into two parallel timelines where you are editing a file, saving it, and testing the program only to find that your new features aren't working. 30 minutes of debugging later and you restart the IDE only to find that the file never changed in the first place and the program is doing exactly what it was supposed to be doing 45 minutes ago, and your new changes are just missing.

The technology is invaluable and it'll probably be a Microsoft product in the next few years anyway so none of the problems with Xamarin itself should matter that much in the future, so might as well jump on board now.

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread