Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
In the old days when something pissed you off, you could demand satisfaction. Even high ranking politicians used to duel to the death. Why is this no longer a thing? It seems like it could solve a lot of society’s problems. We could replace civil lawsuits with duels. If something really pisses you off so much that you’ll file a lawsuit, you should be prepared to die for it. That would stop most lawsuits and sounds like a really good idea.

I think it would be pretty awesome to see someone get sued for foreclosure and put a bullet through some banker's face in a duel.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
cause id wreck your rear end, bitch

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I don't know and I'm disappointed by that.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Liberals ruin everything.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Liberals ruin everything.

:clint: 10 paces pardner

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
duelling is still legal in louisiana

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

duelling is still legal in louisiana

hello federal court, see this murder I committed is legal because of this state law thats still on the books therefore

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
i demand satisfaction.... oral satisfaction

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Reverand maynard posted:

hello federal court, see this murder I committed is legal because of this state law thats still on the books therefore

Is it really murder if the duel is a mutually agreed upon thing though? seems like manslaughter at most.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
push me
and then just touch me
until i can get my
satisfaction

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
How gentlemen settled disputes in more civilized times

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Reverand maynard posted:

It was self defense. He had a gun too.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Is it really murder if the duel is a mutually agreed upon thing though? seems like manslaughter at most.

you should try it out

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
It's probably too easy to cheat now. It's tough to find an actual single-shot pistol and the dueler's seconds would probably stand there with an AK-47 waiting to waste the other guy if he doesn't lose.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
dueling should be legal but the only allowed weapon is a garrote

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

SopWATh posted:

It's probably too easy to cheat now. It's tough to find an actual single-shot pistol and the dueler's seconds would probably stand there with an AK-47 waiting to waste the other guy if he doesn't lose.

break action sawed off rifled .410 single barrel.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Dick Fagballzson posted:

no way man, not falling for that one. i'm bringing my own, i'm not using the madcatz pistol with the wobbly trigger and sticky flintlock.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

SopWATh posted:

just use one of those 3d printed guns that break when you fire them

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

darkwing cuck posted:

just use one of those 3d printed guns that break when you fire them

pretty sure you can find a machinist who can crank out single shot pistols fast, or a gunsmith would have no trouble making a single shot pistol that uses modern cartridges.

bring back dueling, get rid of filibusters in government and make our politicians shoot each other instead.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Dick Fagballzson posted:

an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. :(

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

To be honest, the reason wasn't anything to do with morals or ethics. It really came down to that dueling was resulting in things like the military's officer core being really depleted. As armies grew larger and larger, the need for an officer core that wasn't murdering itself all the time became more and more important thus leading to the elimination of duels.

There was still a strong morale impetus to end dueling, but really it was the needs of the military that really ended it. (And even then it was largely replaced by just having a fist fight over an issue, heck I think the british still encourage settling disputes in a boxing ring)

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

TOILETLORD posted:

pretty sure you can find a machinist who can crank out single shot pistols fast, or a gunsmith would have no trouble making a single shot pistol that uses modern cartridges.

bring back dueling, get rid of filibusters in government and make our politicians shoot each other instead.

Seeing politicians fight to the death would be such uber pwnage. Who wouldn't want to see that?

If Boehner or whoever is really that pissed off at Obama, let them settle it like men.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 20, 2014

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

TOILETLORD posted:

Fair enough.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Shadoer posted:

To be honest, the reason wasn't anything to do with morals or ethics. It really came down to that dueling was resulting in things like the military's officer core being really depleted. As armies grew larger and larger, the need for an officer core that wasn't murdering itself all the time became more and more important thus leading to the elimination of duels.

There was still a strong morale impetus to end dueling, but really it was the needs of the military that really ended it. (And even then it was largely replaced by just having a fist fight over an issue, heck I think the british still encourage settling disputes in a boxing ring)

just make it legal for all civilians to duel and set up dirt fields where the cops can monitor people shooting each other.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
what is a drive by shooting if not the modern verson of a duel?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

darealkooky posted:

what is a drive by shooting if not the modern verson of a duel?

calvary charge?

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
revive dueling swords imo

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think in most places for many hundreds of years dueling was not legal. The state didn't want people dueling because they'd kill each other and usually it was lords and nobles and officers in the military and jesus christ stop killing each other.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think in most places for many hundreds of years dueling was not legal. The state didn't want people dueling because they'd kill each other and usually it was lords and nobles and officers in the military and jesus christ stop killing each other.

think of how it could solve gang violence, they can have a couple bangers show up sign a paper and then legally solve a dispute without having to worry about cross fire.

Also this would be a fun way to see company executives solve their differences.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Poor people should be able to duel rich people for their money IMHO. To the death. If a wealthy man cannot, or is not willing to, defend his riches in honorable combat he is undeserving of them.

It would lead to a more natural and just society, for sure.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Poor people should be able to duel rich people for their money IMHO. To the death. If a wealthy man cannot, or is not willing to, defend his riches in honorable combat he is undeserving of them.

rich people would just make it legal to hire someone to duel for them and hire ringers.

better to just let all the poors shoot each other somewhere where you can film it and turn it into a tv event.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
What were the rules of dueling? Like if someone challenged me, couldn't I just not accept and go on being an rear end? I'm pretty sure if I'm already an rear end in a top hat, I don't care about "honor".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TOILETLORD posted:

please. This is a much more elegant solution:

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

l33t b4c0n posted:

What were the rules of dueling? Like if someone challenged me, couldn't I just not accept and go on being an rear end? I'm pretty sure if I'm already an rear end in a top hat, I don't care about "honor".

you would be publicly labeled as a coward, and it would go on your record, like if you interview for a job the back round check would come back with a giant red coward bolded on it.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Snak posted:

please. This is a much more elegant solution:

what that?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TOILETLORD posted:

what that?

The Tompson-Center Contender, the sexiest single shot weapon in existence.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Doesnt Washington state have some kind of "mutual combat" law where two people can inform a nearby police officer that they intend to beat the poo poo of each other and the officer will just make sure nobody dies

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010

l33t b4c0n posted:

Dueling was legal but not caring about honor was illegal

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Why is this no longer a thing? We could replace civil lawsuits with duels.

You kind of answered your own question here. Lawyers wouldn't make any money if lawsuits were replaced with duels, and since most of our government is made of lawyers, former lawyers, and people owned by lawyers, dueling is illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
dont they h ave consent fighting in washingon tsate or something?

• Locked thread