Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a Samsung QX-410-J01 (Windows 7 Home Preimum 64bit) that I bought in April of 2011. I don't use it very often because I have a desktop that I do most of my work on. A few times lately either won't turn on, or shuts off and then won't turn on.

A few weeks ago I was using it for about four hours, unplugged it, and moved to another room. I opened it back up, and after about 5 minutes it shut off. No warning, no BSOD, just boop, and it was off. I heard what kind of sounded like a capacitor discharge and the screen went dark. I couldn't get it to turn on after spending about ten minutes trying to turn it on. I left it plugged in for about 2 hours and then it turned on.

Today I went to use it again (first time since two weeks ago), and it wouldn't turn on. I left it plugged in for about a half hour, turned it upside down, pressed the power button and it turned on. I put it down flat on the table, and it shut off, tried to turn it on and it didn't, and then tilted it again the computer and it turned on. This time it seems to be work (typing this on the laptop right now).

I recall it shutting off once before a few years ago (maybe March of 2012).

Its definitely not from overheating, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what it could be, without any error messages.

The two weeks ago when it shut off, battery was at about 20%. When I finally got it turned on today battery was at about 40%.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'd really rather not have to get another computer.

edit: I just realized its a QX410-S02, not J01

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
My first guess is the battery is junk. I have not looked if that model will power directly from the plug without going through the battery circuitry or not (some do, some don't)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My computer was off warrantee, so I decided to pop it open. I made sure RAM and HDD was firmly connected, and put it back together.

Seems to be working better now. Could the issue have been a loose HDD or RAM connection or something of that nature?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Massasoit posted:

Could the issue have been a loose HDD or RAM connection or something of that nature?

That doesn't sound typical for a loose HD/RAM to do the issue you're describing.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Computer definitely seems to be working better since taking it apart and putting it back together (took off the plastic back cover). Dunno what it was, but I guess a loose connection somewhere.

• Locked thread