Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Classroom 2-B, Homeroom, October 2nd

Ugghh, it's sooooo early. Hauling yourselves to class on a Monday morning was awful. They shouldn't be allowed to have classes this early. And it's so bright in here! The light keeps glaring in off the tower outside. And stupid Lucretia gets to sit in the back of the class just because she's a vampire, it's not fair.

Ms. Hanafuda staggers in at 8:04, looking perhaps more bleary-eyed than most of you. This weekend she either won big, or lost real big. It's hard to tell, since she's got her hat on.

She clears her throat and begins the attendance roll. "Ana A. Arakawa..."

Welcome to a terrible idea. Post your character sheet with your first post, sound off for roll call, and tell me who you're sitting next to - fellow PC or NPC - and what you think of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Makoto

Arakawa Makoto's name was both a blessing and a curse: when he was born his parents had blessed him a conveniently gender-neutral given name. When he unexpectedly became a girl later on in life, it was something she was able to keep without it seeming all that strange and she was used to responding to it. However, her family name meant that her name often tended to appear sooner rather than later on classroom roll calls. In spite of the fact that she'd started to feel confident about her mechanical body, there was something still oddly terrifying about having to speak up in class.

But it wasn't something she was entirely worried about just at the moment. Instead, with her built-in Internet connectivity, she was browsing posts about last night's episode of the Vanaheim!CLASH anime, swishing her tail back and forth contentedly. She had totally called what was going to happen, and reading about how shocked people were about the murder of Islef amused her to no end. But then there it was, that familiar-sound that required her attention, one of the few things able to pull her out of one of her net-based reveries. His name. Her name now. Makoto.

"H-here!," she replied a brief, halting moment after her name was called. Immediately afterwards she glanced around the room, feeling guilty, as though her nerdy distractions might have been more conspicuous than they probably actually were. Her eyes fell on the seat to her immediate left, which at first she thought was empty, but then her targeting reticule centered on a small heat signature and there appeared to be MAC address of a mobile device in the immediate vicinity. It was the tiny Nonohara, sitting on her phone, which was in turn resting on top of the fairy's desk.

From fairly early on, Makoto was pretty sure she'd get along well with the exchange fairy. Nonon Nonohara was apparently riding some sort of newfound technology high, which was something the recent cyborg could absolutely understand and appreciate. In their very first meeting, not even a week after the blue-haired girl had first arrived at the school, Nonohara had asked Makoto for her contact information, which actually struck the newfound girl as being unabashedly forward, but Makoto had nevertheless obliged. Possibly something about being on a quest to add as many people as she could to her contact list? When testing text messaging, which Makoto didn't require a phone to do, Nonon seemed shocked, and Makoto recalled being asked if she had used magic to do that.

"Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic," Makoto had sagely replied. She was such a nerd.

pre:
Arakawa Makoto

Attributes
2 Athletics       2 Charm
1 Cunning         3 Guts (30 Stress Limit)
3 Luck            2 Study

Special Qualities: Otaku, Pet, Cyborg
Stress Explosion: Reading
Physical Traits: Silver Eyes, Blue Hair

bahamut fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 21, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Misugi Momo

Momo's name was convenient, because even when seated by name she ended up in the middle of class. When seating guidelines were less enforced, she tried for it anyway, somewhere in the third row in the middle. See, it kept the daydreaming easier. You weren't going to get called on, you weren't one of the kids in the back who didn't pay attention, and with just a little luck it'd last a long time. She got her desk set up, still thinking about the episode, while the other students filed in. She tried to keep quiet in the mornings, and most other times, because usually they told her that her ideas were "too strange" and "conspiracy-level". But she had been right about that biohazard spill last month, so maybe next time something went wrong maybe it'd be different.

So Momo was sitting in the middle of the room, thinking about last night's episode of Vanaheim!CLASH. The twist was totally out of the blue, and it kept her up half the night reading fan theories about which Frigga was the real one, and which of the fake ones had actually killed Islef. She didn't have an answer herself, but she had been daydreaming all morning about how she'd go about figuring it out if she were Fräulein Goldenlens.

She was chewing on her pen cap, thinking about what sort of intricate tests could be used to determine Frigga's true self, when she was snapped out of it by the third call of her name. "Misugi Momo!"

Momo was practically blushing as she finally acknowledged Ms. Hanafuda. "Uh, oh, so so sorry! I'm here, Ms. Hanafuda! Didn't mean to, just, you see, there was this episode of Vanaheim and I was..."

Ms. Hanafuda hasn't even stopped to entertain the thought. It had become the norm, at this point, though. She was already onto Nonohara by the time Momo realized she was mostly talking to herself. So she leaned over to Sabrina who, for all her, uh, you know, actually had a lot in common with Momo and seemed to put up with her. They both had adorable cat ears, anyway. "Did you see it, S-Sabrina? You know all about that magic stuff, right? I mean, what do you think Goldenlens will do? Do you think she'll get a dragon to do the Fire Test, like she did when she was working with Leftie?"

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 21, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ayumu

It's always funny to see how the riff-raft squabbles about in the morning. They drag themselves into the room, look all haggard and worn out, then half-heartily say their name on commands like the dogs they are. Of course, I'm nothing like that. Could you imagine me being so uncouth in public? Perish the thought! Even at this early hour, I'm the pinnacle of grace and sophistication.

As I sip my delicious coffee -- imported from France and roasted and ground by hand by my five-star Italian chef --, I can ignore the poverty around me and truly feel comfortable in this drab, poorly-funded room.

Or, that is what I would like to say, as I glared at my left. It was the day-dreamer, again. She was snacking away at her pen like it was chew toy. Wait, do you give cats chew toys? I guess I should ask my cat's nanny about that.

Regardless, that cursed biting noise was ruining my enjoyment of my coffee. Not to mention that blank look on her face. Where is she looking? The clouds, if you ask me.

Horohorohoro!

I truly have the most refined sense of humor!

"Ayumu Midorikawa?"

I wonder if she is going to speak up in class today. I do get a kick out of her conspiracy theories. I must wonder if its genetics that makes plebeians so...interesting. Maybe it's a human thing...or a cat girl thing...

"Ayumu Midorikawa?"

Is she still chewing away at that? Is she so poor that she needs to eat...

"Ayumu Midorikawa!?"

Oh no! Due to that blasted cat girl, now I look like the fool. Should I even say I'm here now? I'll look like an uncouth plebeian for missing my own name twice! Think of what that would do to my rep...

"I guess she isn't here today. Moving on to..."

"Here!" I burst up from my seat, "Please don't ruin my attendance record. I'm here!"

I can feel the blood rushing to my head. It's not nearly as searing as the stare of the plebeians around me. The teacher gives me a half-hearted warning: she reminds me to pay more attention. I want to remind her what will happen to her employment if she chastises me again! Of course, I don't want to seem anymore uncouth.

I can't believe how I just looked. It's better than having an imperfect attendance record. Imagine the scandal!

As I sit back down, I can't help, but put my eyes on that catgirl. I hope she can feel my glare.

pre:
Ayumu Midorikawa

Attributes
1 Athletics       1 Charm
2 Cunning         1 Guts (10 Stress Limit)
2 Luck            2 Study

Special Qualities: Rich, Elf, Cross-Dresser
Stress Explosion: Obsessively Counting Things
Physical Traits: Gold Eyes, Violet Hair

Covok fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 21, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nonon Nonohara

I switch my phone over to the notebook application as Mrs. Hanafuda starts in on the M-names. She's probably not paying any attention to what I'm up to, but I didn't think Mr. Starchman the English teacher was paying attention last Thursday either and then suddenly there he was standing right over my desk. Literally on my desk, actually; are teachers allowed to do that? I'm afraid to ask. I still don't know if I'm in trouble for that or not; he's the most confusing person I've met here. That's saying something, considering...

Anyway! Less texting more looking studious. There's my name. "Here!"

Usually students can't use their phones in class, but I got permission after I 'lost' my school supplies I brought with me from home. It was easier to get away with than I thought it would be; I mean, my host doesn't even have a dog! I don't think humans have a good enough sense of smell to tell that kind of thing though.

Makoto just sent me a text. She's sneaky; I still haven't figured out how she does it without me sensing it. I wait until Hanafuda's glazed-over eyes move on to the next row before I read it.

pre:
Nonon Nonohara

Attributes
3 Athletics       2 Charm
3 Cunning         3 Guts (30 Stress Limit)

Special Qualities: Cell Phone Maniac, Fairy, Optimistic
Stress Explosion: Hide in a Box
Physical Traits: Orange Eyes, White Hair
QuantumNinja that character reference is perfect

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 24, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Sabrina

"Sorry, dear, I can't say I have", Sabrina tells Momo when asked if she watched her show, too. Last night was definitely not a TV night for Sabrina. Not like she's much of a TV person, anyway. The constellation between the moon, the earth, and Mercury had her up all night, trying to channel the special magic energies in the sky into some potions. It did not work out nearly as well as she hoped and now she had to decide between keeping these imperfect experiments or throw them out.

"TV almost never gets magic right", she continues to respond to Momo, "but don't let that lessen - Here! - your enjoyment. Anyway, what exactly happened with the Goldentests and who's Leftie?" There. That was courteous enough and would occupy Momo with explaining the whole series to her. Sabrina would enjoy having the catgirl's and the teacher's voice mix into an indistinguishable white noise that wouldn't interrupt her own thoughts. Her upbringing in her family had already trained her well enough to pay exactly as much attention to small talk as needed to occasionally throw in a "Mhmm", "Really?", or "Fascinating" into the conversation and noticing when you're actually asked something without really listening.

She pulled her private notebook on top of her school notebook and opened it to her preparations for last night. Drawings of star constellations, lists of reagents, and arcane sigils were tightly scrawled onto the pages. If she could figure out where exactly her experiments went awry during Homeroom, she would at least be able to pay attention during the more important classes.

pre:
Sabrina Willow Le Fay

Attributes
1 Athletics       2 Charm
3 Cunning         2 Guts (20 Stress Limit)

Special Qualities: Catgirl, Witch, Westerner
Stress Explosion: Bask in Delusions
Physical Traits: Brown Eyes, Platinum Hair

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Classroom 2-B

Ms. Hanafuda sighs. It's clearly going to be another banner day. The edge of her hat flaps up as she sighs.

"Right. Now that we're all here and paying attention, let's go over announcements. First and foremost, the science library is still off-limits. They'll let us know when it's safe to go back in. The elementary students are going to be putting on their class play next week, so everyone's invited to attend, especially if you've got younger siblings. The lacrosse team..."

You know this routine. She doesn't like it. You don't like it. But this place is big and complex and they're not fond of posting records of what goes on inside these walls on the internet, so everything's done by announcements.

There is one thing out of the ordinary. Apparently unnoticed, a small grey kitten peeks out from under Ms. Hanafuda's hat, them climbs down her arm and off her desk. It brushes through the slightly-open door out into the hallway.

"...and the varsity hockey team is going to a game in Vladivostok tomorrow night, and we're all supposed to wish them luck. Any questions?"

Ms. Hanafuda's eyes track upward toward the clock, clearly not expecting anything from you all.

Quantum, please have a Plot point for that lovely character sheet; one for Bahamut for inventing what I'm sure will never be a recurring theme with everyone's favorite show; and one for Tolly for creating a useful NPC name.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Makoto

Makoto wasn't certain if they had anime or manga wherever Nonon was from, so she felt this really limited her conversation options. Browsing Wikipedia while Ms.Hanafuda droned on provided little insight on fairies, at least as far as mobile using ones go. Mobiles! That was it, she thought.

pre:
Makoto: Have you seen the specs on new NNY Flash 4B?  It's got a bigger screen than the 3Q and only weighs 108g!  That's a lucky weight!
There, that'd be something interesting to talk about, she thought as she dispatched the message. After doing so, she returned to Wikipedia. In spite of finishing the fairy article, she fallen into the horrible trap of having opened five other mildly interesting sounding links in the process, and if each one of those had five links, she could be here for days! Resigned to her fate, she was only spared by the faint notion that a question had been asked. Rewinding things a bit, she realized it was about hockey. But she also realized there was a cat back there! Rewinding the video some, she captured three stills of the cute escaping cat and immediately posted them on 0 channel.

The blue-haired girl's cat-posting desire sated, she tuned back in to the oppressive silence of the classroom. She had missed nothing. Then, just as an afterthought, a question lept into Makoto's mind, catching her so unaware, that she quietly spoke it aloud. The meek-sounding question, addressed more to herself than to anyone in particular came out louder than she'd intended, "...we have a hockey team?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Classroom 2-B

There are a couple of athletic-sounding scoffs from around the room. Like, everyone knows that Lalaland International School for Girls makes a point of excellence in all fields, including sport. Any professional league sporting event with a total annual market share of at least one million tickets sold worldwide, as tabulated by the school's Census Department, is represented in the school's athletics curriculum. Hockey's got elementary, middle and high school levels, just like all the other sports clubs.

It's like you didn't even read the brochure, bro. Hold on, gotta carb load.

Those of you with Athletics 3 also know that the hockey bloc is engaged in a low-grade cold war over the rinks with the figure- and speed-skating bloc. Lockers spraypainted, trophies stolen, insulting banners hung in conspicuous places and so on.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Misugi Momo
1 Plot Point

Momo is busy describing the finer points of the show to Sabrina, oblivious to Ms. Hanafuda's lesson. "Yeah, so, see, there's this detective called Fräulein Goldenlens, and she travels around helping solve magical mysteries with the help of this magic lens her father left her in his will, all mysteriously. And it's I guess set in like, uhm, Europe somewhere? And there are like dragons and other things, but it's like, uh, I dunno, the early 1900s some time I guess or something, because there are totally cars and steam machines but also like dragons and witches and all that sort of stuff..."

She trailed off at the mention of the sports teams, though, finally interested in some part of the announcements. "Oh, are they, now? That's... good to know."

Momo, unlike some of her other classmates, was firmly in the figure-skating bloc of students, and such a long trip meant a serious opening for some payback over the Great Clothing Theft of November, where the hockey team had procured all non-figure-skating clothing from the locker room during a dress rehearsal. Momo had to spend the rest of the day in a sparkly Azure leotard and while it did make her look pretty, it wasn't exactly a warm endeavor.

She pulled out her phone and started texting Natsuko. [Did you hear? Hockey's off to Vladyvosstak this week, which means total payback time.] [Should I get some tuna for their hockey pads? Or maybe we take all of their pucks.] [Oh, or I know a witch. 1s]

Momo leaned back over to Sabrina, whispering under Ms. Hanafuda's voice. "Hey, uh, Sabrina? Listen, I know you don't do, like, sports things, but I was wondering if you would, like, help out the figure skating team. We have some sort of, uh, dispute thingy with the hockey team and we totally have this as an opportunity for some payback. Could you, like, make all the hockey pucks in the rinks, like, shock them or something? Not, you know, for the game, but just for practices when they're here."

I could make nameplates for everyone else, too. Or post the photoshop file.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 24, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nonon Nonohara

My brow furrows. I have no idea what Makoto is talking about. I think it's a technology thing maybe, humans like to mash letters and numbers together for those, right?

pre:
i guess?

what are those?
Momo's whispering to Sabrina about the figure skating team's feud with the hockey players. Hockey is scary, but I like figure skating. It reminds me of home. They wouldn't let me take part though, apparently having wings is cheating. Actually I'm kind of out of luck with trying to do sports at all here! I'm either too small or too airborne. I'm going to be so out of shape when I go back to my old school.

current picture of nonon's mental state regarding sports: :negative:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ayumu

When the teacher began speaking up again, I decided to turn my gaze back to her. Someone of my status must always act and perform herself with the upmost dignity. Ignoring a teacher? Even at this school? Imagine the scandal!

As I set my attention towards my teacher, she began rattling off the morning announcements. They do love to be charmingly low-tech around here. Most schools just send e-mails. Even if it is coming from the boring, monotone of an abusive gambler, having a plebeian read and recite my news for me feels...right.

In the middle of her announcements, I peered down to take another sip from my cup. When I looked back up at future inspiration for a gambling themed public service annoucment, I saw...a cat nestle it's way from her hat and saunter down the hall.

What is with today and cats? Cat girl next to me gets me in trouble. Then she begins talking to Wicca cat to her right. Now a cat is walking out of our teacher's hat? Honestly...well, first off, it makes me miss Ms.Snugglebottom. I'll have to go to her penthouse later.

But, mainly and honestly, this is a bit silly and, oddly, thematic. Or is a motif? A trope? Regardless, no one else is noticing it either. Things get weird here, but no one ever seems to notice it!

I'm being hasty someone going to say something, right? Oh, I can hear someone speaking up. It's robocat! I forgot about her! She's always been such a shy girl. Never talks. Well, atleast now she'll say what we're all, no doubt, thinking!

Wait, is she honestly more shocked we have a hockey team? Not at the cat that walked out of the teacher's hat? Am I the only one who saw that? Did I make it up?

Maybe if I just keep to my normal air of dignity and grace it won't seem uncouth to ask.

I raise my hand and go, "Professor, a cat has appeared to have walked out of your hat and went into the hallway. You may wish to go retrieve it."

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Makoto

Overcome with a sudden sense of self-consciousness, further reinforced by the sounds of derision erupting amongst some of her classmates, Makoto suddenly felt very small and terrible. She'd only been at the school for a week, and on top of that she'd only been a girl and a cyborg for less than two months. But the shy, quiet habits she'd picked up over the course of her previous life were hard to avoid falling back on! Fortunately this unpleasant line of thought was interrupted by the notification of an incoming text.

At first, the blue haired girl wasn't quite sure how to reply to Nonohara's response, she'd just sort of assumed that the text-fiend fairy would know all about these things, but upon reflection, if Nonon's position was similar to her own, having her life go all topsy-turvy so suddenly, then the fairy might not. Patiently, she replied.

pre:
Makoto: It's a new phone!  It was the one I was looking forward to before I got my new body.
It's supposed to have a more intuitive text interface, and a more powerful processor for better apps!
The cyborg's reply was dispatched just as Ayumu spoke up about Ms.Hanafuda's cat, of whom the new images Makoto had captured mere moments ago were now already making the rounds in the Internet cat-circles. But, after the embarrassment of speaking up before, she's not too quick to do so again, even if she had inadvertently set the teacher's cat on a path towards Internet fame.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Classroom 2-B

Apparently not enough time was killed, and now Ms. Hanafuda looks grumpy.

"Don't be absurd, Ayumu. The only cats in this building are the ones with hands that pay tutition."

Something wet and ruby-red trickles down her temple out from under her hat. Your homeroom teacher sighs and blots at the side of her face with a rust-colored hanky.

"I mean, really. Back in my day we pranked out teachers with style and flair. This is just absurdism..."

She narrows her eyes and glances briefly at her desk. "Ayumu, you didn't transfer into the Dada program, did you?"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ayumu

There it is again. The feeling of all these plebeians, these roaches, staring at me. It's like their shooting lasers with their eyes right at me!...I mean this metaphorically, of course. Students aren't allowed to use laser vision during class, after all. It's against school rules.

Sweat is dripping down my forehead like a torrent. I can't believe this scandal! For someone of my status to get called out in front of a bunch of low borns by someone who considers the blackjack table a retirement fund!

If I yell at her here, I'll look like an uncouth commoner. I'll look so unlady-like. I'll look...like a dwarf. People might even start calling me a dwarf to mock me! Oh, I can hear it now! 'Oh look, it's that working-class dwarf from Class 2-B. I wonder when her beards gonna grow in!"

Argh!

Ok, Ayumu, relax. Take a breathe, count to four, exhale. You can do this. One step at a time. Just answer her question.

But I suppose there in lies the rub. What is the Dada program? I never heard of that before!? Is it an insult? She's insulting me! That Saturday night fortune-hunter is mocking me!?

Or...maybe not. I mean, is this Dada program a bad thing? If I never heard of it before, it must be really exclusive. I am on the "up-and-up" as the proletarians say. Hip and hop and all that. I even half-listened to that Kanye East guy...or was it North? I know what is pointing upward. If I haven't heard of this thing, it must be exclusive and special. Something befitting my status!

I know exactly what I'm going to say.

With my arms akimbo, I bellow out, "Professor Hanafuda, I'll have you know I'm the chairwoman of the Dada program!"

Covok fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 25, 2014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Classroom 2-B

Ms. Hanafuda blinks a few times, then sets her handkerchief back down. "Oh. I didn't know Arts let sophomores head programs."

She gives Ayumu a brief up-down. "You're looking very... normal today."

The bell rings, clanging out loud enough to be heard through the inch-thick glass in the windows. Time for class!

Good save, Covok. Take a plot point.

You're all scheduled as part of a group. Similarly, one PP for whoever gives me the best class to go to.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ayumu
1 Plot point

While I feel great as I pack my things, I'm a little confused by what the plunger said today. What does she mean that I look normal? Of course, I look normal! Sure, I'm a rich elf, but that doesn't mean I'm not normal! And the way that shill said it...you'd swear someone just told her she rolled snake eyes: no emotion at all, completely deadpan. It was, honestly, chilling.

It doesn't matter. She's just some fool who might as well set her direct deposit to go straight to the casino's account. I need to get to...

My suggestion for the next class is Appreciation For Music Through Fear And Self-Loathing.

Also, I said this before, but I'll take this moment to say it again, I'm new to pbp so if I do anything wrong just give me a heads up.

Also, the term "plunger" can be used to refer to a gambler.

Covok fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 25, 2014

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Makoto

The bell could not have come at a better time, Makoto thought to herself. She was quick, but not too quick, to gather up her things and be out the door. The routine around this place was something she wasn't completely used to yet, so as she made her way towards the exit, the cyborg opened up the pdf of her schedule to find out where she should be headed. Then, as if ordained by fate itself, the moment she takes her attention away from where she was headed to look up her next class, she blunders into the haughty-sounding elf from behind. Although a little on the small-side, as far as the average schoolgirl goes, Makoto's mostly dense metal and polymer composite body weighed much more than one might expect. Ayumu might as well have been delicately bumped into by a truck.

Immediately alerted to her collision, Makoto's attention snapped back to the outside world. Realizing that she'd probably given the other girl a less-than-graceful shove, she reactively started her apology, even before the elf had turned around, "I- I- I'm terribly sorry...!"

You are doing everything right, Covok!
For a class? I suggest 'Complicated Battle English'.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 30, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Misugi Momo
1 Plot Point

Momo was annoyed about the bell, because Sabrina still hadn't answered her questions about swim team sabotage and had left too quickly for Momo to chase her down the hallway. Exasperated, she found her way next to Nonon instead. The fairy had been trying to join figure skating since she got here, but that mean old Coach Renraku kept sayings she was "too small". Momo bet she was just the right size to fit through the locker vents, though, and pull the latch from the inside, and she got busy explaining that to Nonon.

"Hey, Nonon. Hey, you know, the hockey team's all out of town, and that totally means we can totally sabotage them. Oh, I didn't meant to bother you. But listen! And I think that you can totally help us, because let's be realistic, it's only stuffy old Coach Renraku and the way she probably had some sort of, like, childhood trauma involving fairies that she won't let you skate or anything. Like, who knows, maybe they kidnapped her as a kid from her parents in some bad bet or something. I read a story about that once, where parents traded their child for a bunch of golden rope. Or was it that they traded the rope for a child from the fairies. It's, like, way too complicated to remember, but it totally doesn't matter. The point is that Coach Renraku's parents probably totally did some stupid thing like that, and she just hates on fairies without any reason or anything--"

She stops herself halfway through the thought, realizing that she was describing how fairies might be evil to one of them. Her ears always did this strange twitching thing when she was stammering to apologize, and this was no exception. "Oh, I'm so sorry, I totally didn't mean fairies were child snatchers. Like Oh-Em-Gee I didn't meant to imply that at all, please don't take it that way. But you could, like, totally help the team out and then we could, like, hang out and you can show us your skating moves or whatever. It could be really cool."

My proposed class is How to Portray Realistic Characters in Tabletop Role-Playing Games and Other Media.

Edit: That class wasn't meant as a jab at anyone; I was just trying to make a joke :cry:

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 30, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nonon Nonohara

pre:
oh! well, i hadn't heard. what color is it?
The bell just rang. Momo's sidling up to me. Talking to her is always interesting, it's like an unfiltered line to her stream of consciousness. I think she wants my help for something? O-oh no. Awkward. "Um, yeah, I, um..." I'm looking for words, a graceful way to resolve the situation. I can't think of anything.

Next class's name proposal: Metafictional Irony, Deus ex Libro, and General Extraliteral Mechanics

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Okay, back in business. Frankenfreak, last call for a class suggestion and then we move on. You've got a little over twelve hours from this post.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Sabrina

Slamming her notebook shut, Sabrina sprang up with unusual urgency as soon as the bell rang. She had to get away from Momo quickly, to get at least a short reprieve from her droning and before she could lure her into committing to help out with some petty pranks between the school's sports teams.

Her head hurts and her ears are ringing. Doing serious brainwork with the homeroom noise around her was not a good idea, she tells herself. Anyway, the next class should actually require some attention.

Suggesting "Improperly Applied Chemistry"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The dice have chosen Quantum, so period one is How to Portray Realistic Characters in Tabletop Role-Playing Games and Other Media.

Period One

Mr. Rubidium's seminar on fiction today is about portraying realistic characters in interactive media.

He smooths his sweater vest and coughs into his hand. "Good morning, class. Today's prompt is the handling of sudden surprise. It's one of the hardest emotions to simulate convincingly, so the best way to do this is going to be to deal in a little method acting.

"I'm right with you. I've asked Dr. Yarborough to second one of his students to us. There should be a package under one of your chairs."

The entire room shifts as everyone looks under their chairs.

There is a brown paper package underneath Makoto's chair, all tied up with string. Inside is a grey box, maybe a little bigger than a sandwich. It's got an old-fashioned CRT screen built into the top, along with a dial (no scale or reference markers, unfortunately) and a big red button.

What do you do?

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Makoto

"Oh no," Makoto inwardly thought as she looked around the classroom and coming to the realization that she was the only one with a package under her chair. Already eyes were upon her, and although these days she'd often fancied being like a manga hero with the eyes of the world upon her as she battled to save the world, being seated in a classroom was about as far from heroically saving the world as one could get. Just as it always was in school in the past, being the classroom focus in the present was a very unpleasant feeling still.

Uncertain as to what it exactly was, the girl was momentarily given over to her curiosity, she turned the device over in her hands without coming to any conclusions about the object before resigning herself to her fate. Also, pressing the button would probably be a very stupid, stupid move, she decided. The cyborg meekly spoke up, locking her eyes on the teacher in an effort to avoid any eye contact with her classmates, "uhm... Mr. Rubidium, I appear to have the thing you want."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Period One

Makoto gently lifts up the remote like it's a dead bird. You can all see it has a jolly, candy-like red button.

Who's gonna do it?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Sabrina

"The handling of sudden surprise" is an interesting topic, Sabrina has to admit and her interest is piqued. Even more so when it's Makoto who finds the device under her chair. How would a cyborg react, compared to a human being (or what passes for one around here)? Makoto seems hesitant with the device. Sabrina realizes that she isn't going to do anything with it unless prompted. It's only a short moment, but Sabrina is becoming restless waiting for her. The button's so close, just an arm's length away. It wants to be pressed, but Makoto surely isn't going to. For science!, Sabrina thinks as she's about to do something completely unlike her. Her arm reaches out, her finger presses the button, and she shouts: "SURPRISE!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Period One

Mr. Rubidium nods. "Very good, Sabrina."

Klaxons somewhere across campus, and there's an intermittent rumbling that's getting louder as time goes on.

"Now, as you can see, I'm not terribly shocked that the button was pressed, although you can tell from Makoto's expression. Notice how her eyes widen - eyelid expressivity is often forgotten by prospective-"

There is something outside the window, many stories up. It's the school's giant robot. It cocks back a fist. There is a terrible crash from the next classroom over. Glass shatters and there is screaming.

Mr. Rubidium raises his eyebrows a little. "Huh. I thought that would have hit us-"

The fire-suppression sprinklers go off. Everyone in the room is doused with extremely chilly water.

"Ah," says your teacher. "That, I was not expecting."

You're soaked and there is a giant robot that is going to keep attacking the school if someone presses that button again. That delightfully tempting button.

Speaking of, Frank, take a point for pressing the button.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ayumu
1 Plot point

I try to keep myself as dignified and lady-like at all times...,but even sometimes I have to crouch under my desk in fear. Not from the giant robot, Coach McGuirk would never hurt a student. He is a commoner, through and through. Not to mention, crash and a drunkard even after his accident. But, still, he wouldn't harm a student. If he lost this job, how else would he get his beer money?

No, I'm hiding like a peasant who can't afford an umbrella to keep my perfect hair from being ruined! Does goth cat know how much it costs to have my hair done!? It's not like anyone can make hair look as perfect and as lovely as mine! It's not inexpensive by any means to have a fully staffed Josh Wood Atelier built in your dorm room!

From the safety of under my desk, I put my arms akimbo and yell at her, "Bourgeoisie, why would you just press a button if you didn't know what it did!?"

For the record, I'm using bourgeoisie in the form that refers to something being of the middle class, not in its Marxist form.

Covok fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 4, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Misugi Momo
1 Plot Point

Momo was halfway through trying to explain to Nonon exactly what the prank would entail when the sprinklers went off. She let out a small eek of noise, suddenly shocked back to reality. But before she could get more embarrassed, she shook her head and decided she'd rather be embarrassed than having her phone so wet it wouldn't work. So as the water was erupting in a downpour and ruining everything in the class, she sprung into action. She easily vaulted the three rows of desk between her and Makoto, her tail swishing behind her and keeping her balance perfect as he cleared the barriers. (Not sure if I needed to roll for that, but I got a 15.) The whole time, though, she was apologizing. "Oops, excuse me Takara, so sorry about that Hayasaka. Whoops, Ayumu, I didn't even see you there! Oh, hi, Sabrina! Excuse me, I'm just here to turn the water off."

Then she smacks the button a second time, hoping it will shut the water off. And when it didn't, she frowned a bit more at the downpour. "Sorry, that didn't seem to work."

Mecha attack? Let's do this!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

First Period

It is cold and wet and miserable in here! This is awful! Clearly the solution is to press the button that caused this again!

Momo pushes the button in Sabrina's hands again. The robot outside winds up and smashes its fist into this classroom this time, letting the high-altitude air outside in, and probably sucking one of the less popular tertiary characters out in the confusion. Now you're cold and wet and in danger of frostbite!

"Okay, thank you," Mr. Rubidium says in a voice so mild you can barely hear him over the alarms and the howling wind. "Now if you'll open your notebooks, we'll begin the theory portion of today's class..."

"ALL STUDENTS MUST EVACUATE TOWER TWO FLOOR 48 SECTIONS ALFA THROUGH JULIETT." The emergency PA kicks in, with a sound that rattles you behind your sternum. "THIS IS NOT A DRILL. ALL STUDENTS MUST EVACUATE TOWER TWO..."

Tricky.

Do you evacuate or stay and listen to the lecture? Or press the button some more?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ayumu
1 Plot point

"Aiee!"

From under my desk, I screamed like a plebeian as Coach McGurk smashed the window. As the change in pressure took hold of my legs, I grabbed for the legs of my desk like a beggar grabbing for bread on a fishing hook...not that I'd know what that's like. Thank Ayn Rand that they bolt these desks to the floor or else I'd turn out like Melissa who I saw sucked out. Hopefully those bat wings will serve the commoner well on her fall.

As the room reached equilibrium with the outside, my body fell to the ground with a thud. I laid shaking on the ground for a few moments as I stared at my reflection in the wet floor. Not only had I almost be sucked away to my death...but my hair was ruined! The drat wind tunnel turned it into a giant, purple afro! It's not even a well managed afro!

Covered in water, I hobbled back to my seat. Shaken and tired. To my shock, the teacher speaks up.

"Okay, thank you. Now if you'll open your notebooks, we'll begin the theory portion of today's class..."

Wait, what? After all that we're just going to a lecture? How is he even still standing? My body feels like I got hit by a truck bought under a high interest loan. My hair looks like the food that fat hicks eat at a fair. I also really hope I'm only so wet because of the sprinklers. How could he be so cruel?

Oh, perhaps, he isn't...This school did cost a lot of money. Not much for me, but to these children of McDonald's employees it must have cost their life savings. To short them by canceling class would be a disservice. I can feel tears in my eyes forming. Of all the teachers here, he is the only one who truly understands the value of money.

My thoughts are interrupted and my sternum rattled by the loudspeaker.

"ALL STUDENTS MUST EVACUATE TOWER TWO FLOOR 48 SECTIONS ALFA THROUGH JULIETT. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. ALL STUDENTS MUST EVACUATE TOWER TWO..."

Oh no. This is bad. The teacher is still lecturing. It's beautiful that he cares so much about our money, but this is serious. They didn't even make an announcement when the spaceship killed the coach. Whatever is going on must be dangerous. But, if the teacher is still going on so valiantly, I can't just leave. It'd make me seem like some common lowlife: skipping class as they see fit. I can't be seen as such a loser: someone who wastes their parents investments by squandering their class time.

But, how?

Of course, I'll pretend I got hurt and need to go to the nurse's office. No, wait...I'll pretend someone else was injured and offer to escort them to the office. It'll make everyone see how dignified and kind I am: truly one of noble and refined blood. Now, who should I use?

As I look and see cat girl from before, I decide it's time for her to pay me back. I hurry from my seat as if I cared and put my hand on her shoulder and arm. I raise mine as I say to the professor, "Professor, Momo-Shi looks injured. I should take her to the nurse's office so she can receive proper medical attention!"

After speaking, I lean in to cat girl's ear and say "Plebeian, play along for me. Trust me, you will be justly rewarded for aiding a noble such as me on this day or my name isn't Ayumu Midorikawa-dono."

Covok fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 8, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Sabrina
1 plot point

Her eyeballs widen and even her eyelids supported the appearance of surprise on her face when the robot appears. A keen eye would notice that this doesn't entail any acting, though. While the klaxons going off after pushing the button haven't surprised Sabrina, everything that happened after certainly did. She sits there, staring at the robot like a deer in the headlights, even when the robot punches into this very classroom.

It's getting cold, is the first thought on Sabrina's mind that blanked when the robot emerged. Cold, wet, uncomfortable. Just like the rainy nights she spent watching the stars on top of one her old school's buildings. There is a spell she used in those nights that makes the area around her reasonably warm. She tries to remember all the gestures and chants needed for it, but can't really get it all together.

So now Sabrina has stopped just sitting there looking like a deer in the headlights, but also appears to be speaking in tongues while waving her hands around erratically.

Casting a spell: 2*1d6 4

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Makoto

Makoto kind of figured that pressing the button would do something surprising. But she didn't quite expect it to set a giant robot to the task of obliterating classrooms. Even then, that wasn't surprising. Just unexpected. What was surprising, however, was how nonchalantly Mr.Rubidium was continuing to go on about things! But that simply wasn't her style, the blue-haired girl had decided. Now was the time for action! Heroism!

Knocked off her feet when the robot punched her classroom, as the cyborg got to her feet she extended an arm outwards with an open hand. In a flash of weird glowy purple block-blobs a giant industrial-looking sword, almost as big as she is, appears and Makoto closes her fingers around the grip! Striking a heroic pose, Makoto was undaunted by the cold and the wet. She had, after all, adopted her school swimsuit as a regular part of her uniform. A lot of the other girls seemed to think it was stupid or funny. Some had even laughed. But they couldn't possibly understand the superior sensibilities of an otaku. Moe and practical! Who's laughing now?

Letting out a shout, Makoto burst into action! Sword sparking as she drags it across the floor, she leaps through the shattered window in pursuit of the withdrawing fist! Whirling her sword about, it gleams in the sun as she prepares to punch it into the robot's arm and go upwards from there! She'd put an end to this menace!

Heroically leaping onto the robot!: Guts, 3*1d6 18

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nonon Nonohara

I wasn't paying attention to what was going on until things started getting crashy. It took me a little longer to figure out why. I flit over and snatch the remote. "Teacher! How do I turn this thing off!?"

I don't think he can hear me.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Period One

Makoto busts through the havoc in the classroom, bristling with weaponry! She leaps through the air like a thing that leaps through the air gracefully and lands on robots as a matter of practice. There's plenty of holes in this thing to stick a sword into; it is one of the school's training robots, after all.

Sabrina's spell makes the air pop like static. It does technically get a little warmer around the witch, but mostly the sprinklers just spark a little bit and it feels like you stepped into a running shower. Kinda refreshing, apart from the industrial deluge going on above your heads.

Nonon is preeeeetty sure she isn't getting heard. But she does get the remote. All kinds of things could happen if you messed with that remote. Some of them might be what you want!

Leaving the dialogue between Ayumu and Momo up to the two of them.

This is a pretty silly game, so you guys feel free to act out and take the initiative a little more than you might ordinarily in a PbP game.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Misugi Momo
1 Plot Point

Momo had barely sat up from the rubble when suddenly that elf was on her shoulder. That elf who totally just looked down her nose at everyone. And now, ugh, more lecture? Most teachers would have been herding the class out, but not good Mr. Rubidium. No, he'd probably die and keep lecturing. And this class needed to end, like, ten minutes ago. And literally no one was going to help the ice skating team with their hockey team prank at this rate! And what is this girl talking about? And why is her hair is an utter mess! Wait, does that mean Momo's is, too?!

Momo finally started to come to her senses and just sort of looked at Ayumu. "Uh, what? I'm sorry, did you, uh? I mean, I guess so that I don't have to inconvenience--"

She was climbing to her feet, content to go along with Ayumu and get out of this giant wanna-be swimming pool, when Makoto, with a sword and some screaming, flashed by her going to fight the robot.

Wait!

What?

Fight the Robot?

FIGHT THE ROBOT!

The next several seconds were visions of Fräulein Goldenlens and the Case of the Steam Man, and the amazing battle at the end of the episode. And how she could totally do that, right? Like, what's the worst that could happen? And within a flash she was out of Ayumu's arm, running after Makoto and jumping out the same window. She had once heard something about a shut-off switch near the robot's head, so maybe if she could land on the arm...

I wasn't sure what to roll, but since a catgirl can't fly and doesn't have cyborg legs, it seemed like Momo would might be Lucky to Live?: 1d6*3 12

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ayumu
1 Plot point

As catgirl was getting to her feet, I was feeling pretty good about things. Not only have I secured a way out of here, but it was with dignity and grace. People were going to look at me with admiration...if they could ignore the hair.

Then robo-cat ran past us brandishing a katana. "What an odd commoner...." I couldn't help, but mumble to myself. Putting gravitas behind my voice, "Momo-shi, allow Ayumu Midorikawa-dono to put her graceful arms under your shoulder blade! I will carry your wounded frame to the proper facilities!"

As I stretched my arm out, I feel the hard slap of Momo's shoulders as she rushed toward Coach McGurk.

B-but...why? Why is she running towards the coach? Why is robo-cat doing the same? And...and...is goth cat trying to cast a spell at him...?

What is with these plebeians!? How do they even function in life!? Where did robo-cat even get that sword!?

I was almost out of here! I was almost free of this shabby, doomed classroom! I just want to go to school without all this wacky nonse...

My chest fell forward into an undignified hunch. I must have stayed like that for a good minute before I stood up straight again. My eyes were dull and lifeless. Even my gaudy purple afro seemed dull.

"1 exit. 30 students. 1 teacher. 31 desks...3 idiots. 1 robot. 1 big hole." I began to mumble to myself.

In front of me was my desk. I dragged my feet towards it and opened it up. From my lavish desk, I took a common rubber band and paper clip.

"10,000,000 yen. 1 textbook. 20 pens. 1 notebook..."

As I mumbled my counting, I spread my index and middle finger into a "V" and placed the rubber band over it.

"140,000 strands of hair, 32 teeth, 206 bones..."

I put the paperclip in the the back of the rubber band and pulled back hard. I turned my dead-fish eyes up at Coach McGurk.

"Wind: 30 MPH, Paper Clip: 1 ounce, Force of Pull: 600lbs."

Alooft and lifeless, I fired the paperclip at the coach's forehead.

Like a poor man's Legolas, Ayumu, stressed beyond her limit and sense of dignity, fires her paper clip like...Athletics: 1d6 = 1 x 1 = 1 a true elf a prepped and pampered idiot who has never done a drat thing for herself in life.

Covok fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 12, 2014

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Makoto
1 Plot Point

The little cyborg's sword slammed in between two spikey knuckles on the colossal robot-fist, piercing the thick metal shielding in a shower of sparks! Flipping up onto the top of the withdrawing hand, with a flick of her tail Makoto regained her balance, willed her sword to remotely return to whatever weird phase-storage place it was usually kept in and then immediately re-summoned it again, right back into her hand! Convenient! Looking back towards the classroom through the gaping hole the robot left, the blue-haired girl spun around just in time to see Momo make her own exodus!

Immediately Makoto rushed to the edge of the giant fist, and with an outstretched hand reached out towards her inbound peer, latching onto her hand and pulling her the rest of the way, "Misugi-chan, what are you doing here?!"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nonon Nonohara

The remote only has one button. No luck there. I flip it over. Maybe if I can get it open? If human TV is any indication rewiring the remote to reverse the polarity or something should be easy, right?

No panel to open it up. Who made this crazy thing? Maybe I can find something to pop the button out, or crack it open somehow... I start rifling through the inside of my desk.

This is more like rifling through an attic on Nonon's scale :v:

Cunning 3 ==> 1d6*3 = 15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Period One

Momo fights the robot as best she can, given she is a squishy meat-thing and it is a robot the size of a building. By fortuitous coincidence, the robot's pummeling arm just happens to be under the catgirl's feet as she jumps out a window some several dozen stories up, which is in turn on top of a platform on top of a pretty big mountain. She scampers along the walking weapon's arm, slipping and sliding in just the right fashion to keep her balance. Her path takes her up the other arm opposite Makoto, who continues to make her own stabby way up the machine. The two robot rodeo riders are in for some danger, though - all that water from the sprinklers is starting to seep into the sparking holes Makoto's making.

Ayumu's paperclip barrage does not go as planned, but perhaps all is not lost. The paperclip spangs off the ceiling, almost exactly 90 degrees vertical from her point of aim. It ricochets off the light fixture, seemingly gaining momentum as it squeals towards the hole in the windows, where it bounces off a flying shard of glass, hits the smartboard at the front of the room and causes an RMA data worker elsewhere on the planet to turn over in his sleep, moaning slightly. The paperclip clacks off the edge of the smartboard, making a faint singing noise as it pinwheels through the air, only to land neatly beside Nonon and the robot remote.

Hey, that'd make a handy shiv pry bar for someone of her scale. Nonon wedges the weaponized paperclip into a crack in the remote case and heaves, leveraging all her weight to shift the slab. It looks hit and miss, but eventually the thing pops open to reveal... almost nothing inside. The antenna isn't hooked up to anything, the screen is just a repurposed cell phone, and there's an old 9-volt running the whole setup. The only real evidence of machining in the entire box is the button itself, the backside of which glitters and sparkles with some incredibly intricate circuitry. What on earth is running this thing?

• Locked thread