Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

a couple days ago i was walking down the street and i saw a bunch of girls talking really loudly in spanish and looking at something in a tree. i assumed it was a cat but when i walked by them i realized they were all yelling and getting pumped about a squirrel like it was some kind of novelty. all i heard was "es muy nerviosa!!" but that makes me feel like they've never interacted with squirrels before

so do they like not have them in spain or south america or mexico or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax
They're just dumb girls

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

yeah but they're like five times the size, they live in the rainforest and people hunt them but sometimes they hunt people back

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
they call them "ratones de la tierra" op

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

capyberas

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nah, just a bunch of iguanas running around everywhere

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine
Squirrels are very angry creatures maybe the squirrels were scolding those girls and the girls were indignant about being scolded by a small rodent

naem
May 29, 2011

Phoon posted:

yeah but they're like five times the size, they live in the rainforest and people hunt them but sometimes they hunt people back

This seems to describe most things South American lol

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

We have them here in Mexico. I don't know about in "América del Sur", but I assume they are not that common there.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

this is the range of the Eastern Gray Squirrel, or Sciurus carolinensis. as you can see this particular subspecies of squirrel could, indeed, be a novelty to someone from a spanish speaking country

naem
May 29, 2011

Enormous fat raccoons live in golden gate park and foreign students go feed them at midnight it's bizarre

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Fandyien posted:

this is the range of the Eastern Gray Squirrel, or Sciurus carolinensis. as you can see this particular subspecies of squirrel could, indeed, be a novelty to someone from a spanish speaking country

We have our own Mexican Gray Squirrel :ese:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

its weird to think that in foreign countries they have things like opossums and raccoons in the zoo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i googled "mexican squirrel" and that came up but i couldn't find a good map for it. this actually feels like a huge oversight on the part of the entire field of biology.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Fandyien posted:

bull poo poo ive seen that little nigga over on the west coast too, or maybe its another different dumb rear end squirrel

the real question is have any of you seen a freakin great horned owl swoop down and catch a mouse while you were out super drunk at 4 am

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

is that all you get for your money?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

bull poo poo ive seen that little nigga over on the west coast too, or maybe its another different dumb rear end squirrel

the real question is have any of you seen a freakin great horned owl swoop down and catch a mouse while you were out super drunk at 4 am

ive got barred owls in my yard and once when i was really stoned i watched one of them grab a bird off the bird feeder

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Russia has some freaky lookin' squirrels

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Fandyien posted:

ive got barred owls in my yard and once when i was really stoned i watched one of them grab a bird off the bird feeder
owls are drat cool beasts.

i saw a horned owl in the day once trying to haul a dead rabbit home to the nest. he wasn't making great progress cause it was like noon when i saw this.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

how does an owl try? isn't it like they kinda either grab the fucker and fly back to their nest or just...don't

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

cant lift it but reluctant to leave it?

i dunno, i spooked the bird so it flew off but not very fast and holding this big rear end bloody murdered rabbit under it

perhaps he was trying to dismantle the rabbit?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I've known some south americans who I would describe as squirrely.

naem
May 29, 2011

Harald posted:

That's clearly a hobgoblin

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

i dunno, i spooked the bird so it flew off but not very fast and holding this big rear end bloody murdered rabbit under it

musta been a big rear end rabbit

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
squirrels suck i never been obviously cussed out by another kind of animal but i been cussed out by one of those little fuckers. rude.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
i live in a university town with a bunch of foreign national students and the asian students are also amazed by squirrels

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Harald posted:

Ah yes, the Russian Fiend Squirrel.

Beware its deadly leap!

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
hey op, theres this thing called wikipedia, you drat fool

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ashgromnies posted:

i live in a university town with a bunch of foreign national students and the asian students are also amazed by squirrels

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/animal-kingdom/Content?oid=2064929

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

naem posted:

Enormous fat raccoons live in golden gate park and foreign students go feed them at midnight it's bizarre

In grad school a Chinese girl newly arrived to the US was trying to explain to me the "scary animal" that hissed at her and sent her running when she was taking her trash to the dumpster. She ended up typing some characters into her little electronic dictionary and it produced the word "raccoon".

Since she had no idea such an animal existed, I'm wondering wtf she typed into that dictionary? Like "small bandit bear" or whatever.

In German, raccoons are called "little washing bear". :3:

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
Was helping a friend with a film project, sitting on a bench in the park eating a candy bar while she filmed. Then a squirrel came up right next to me on the bench, like immediately to my left and stood there just looking at my face. It was a magical moment and then the squirrel pissed all over the bench and left.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Harald posted:

i'm a firestarter. twisted firestarter

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

thats one satisfied crapybear

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

they're called chinchillas, op.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

TheReverend posted:

they're called desert, op.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I actually looked this up a while ago when I was fact checking The Emperor's New Groove and yes they have one species of pygmy squirrel.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I dont know if South America does but I got loving squirrels in my attic :smith:

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

numberoneposter posted:

Yeah they rip their food into chunks they can swallow, they don't pick the meat off like hawks do. I once watched one rip a young skunk in half and gulp the pieces.

India has the only known parasitic species of squirrel, here are a couple sucking this guy's lymphatic fluid out gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
the lobster of the trees! I lived in a town where all the squirrels were black; they were bussed in by fuckin Obama

• Locked thread