Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!
I get paid an odd sort of overtime where we're not paid by the hour, but we receive a flat rate per assignment completed. For some tasks that take less time to complete, this works out financially, as I can make about $24/hour, but for some work, which generally takes longer to do, it just plain sucks ($1-2/hour). Management wonders why it's harder to get people to bite at the kinds of assignments that take longer. Unfortunately, their solution to this problem is contracting the more profitable work to former employees that have left the company so that those of us that are still here are stuck with the lovely work that takes longer.

To answer the OP's question, I'm in favor of traditional overtime for everyone, but I feel like mandatory enforcement would lead to wage reduction and/or layoffs.

TwoSheds fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

moana posted:

The article argues that layoffs would decrease drastically, because they can't just shunt the work off on another worker. Rather than paying overtime, they would have an incentive to hire more workers. I feel like that's an argument that a lot of corporations would make, but I can't see it happening in the real world. Wage reduction or bonus reduction, maybe, but when was the last time your bonus would have paid you as much as overtime?

Moot point since I don't get bonuses, but I feel ya.

• Locked thread